“All good! Recommended.” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Raleigh
“All good! Recommended.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2006

We had a great time. Price was very reasonable for our rooms. We were there for 7 nights for my Moms 60th birthday. The hotel upgraded us to one of the towers with a view (we had paid for the very cheapest "parking lot view" rooms). Our room was outstanding - and housekeeping did a great job. A few suggestions:
Pool: Get there early because if you want a waters edge seat, they are very competitive. Pool has nice deep parts, and shallow parts too, and is ideal for all ages and abilties. You can get a tan, plus its larger than the Sheraton and its out of the wind.
Beach: Nothing special here. there are rocks in the water in front of the small beach in front of the hotel.. Walk east about 100 yards - there is sand, good snorkelling and a wider section of beach.
Food: All hotel food and drink is expensive and overpriced. This was no exception. Ask for a fridge to be put in your room, and buy drinks & snacks from the supermarkets in Lahaina. Drinks service poolside was average on some days.
Checkin-Checkout: Easy. Friendly.
Overall: I have stayed at the Sheraton on Maui, and in my opinion the Hyatt was better and cheaper. Yes, it could be improved, but for what we paid off Orbitz ($183 per night), its great value for West Maui.
- don't forget the $15 per day resort fee. (they all charge this anyway)

We'll be back.

AC

8 Thank adamcole

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,298)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2006

The hotel is nice to look at but..... The rooms were so tight we bumped into each other ALL the time. We were on the top floor conceige floor with free foods served for members of Hyatt. They had really nice stuff to eat and it of course helps with cost. It just had that made up feeling. I missed the natural lava flows of the Hilton, the boats, shops. It just didnt have the same feel. The room furniture was very nice stylish and comfortable. But too tight even on the balcony! Everyone was snotty especially the conciege staff. Absolutely rude. We just ignore everyone and left the hotel as much as possible. It's too built up and forget getting a place to sit at the pool or a drink brought to you. Maui has changed unbelievably for the worst.

Stayed December 2005
8 Thank FLORIDAGirl1965
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2006

My husband and I celebrated our honeymoon on Maui and Kauai. We stayed at the Hyatt's on both islands. The Maui property, I will agree with another comment, is def not as spectacular as the one on Kauai, however, it is still a beautifully maintained property with a friendly staff and fantastic pool! We also found the bed to be VERY VERY comfortable!!

Upon our arrival, we were immediately upgraded to a ocean deluxe room. We looked over the ocean and the pool. I will say the view is great, however, the beach wasn't particularly made for swimmiing. If you walked the 40 yards to the Sheraton or Marriott beach, that was a different story. Plenty of space for all beachgoers on all 3 properties.

The food, yes, is a bit overpriced. What do you expect? You're in Hawaii at a giant chain resort. That's par for the course. The breakfast buffett (which was included in our package) was wonderful though. Had something different every morning and for lunch ventured to Lahaina or down the path to Whaler's Village (VERY VERY CONVENIENT AND FUN SPOT) to grab something. No big deal at all.

Overall, we were very pleased with the Hyatt. But again, once we saw the property on Kauai, it blew the Maui Hyatt away. However, these are 2 different islands with different cultures and "speeds" so it was nice to have a more "hopping" spot and then retreat to the more calm Kauai.

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2006

I stayed at the Hyatt Maui from June 27th – July 2nd before going to Honolulu. I must say I am surprised by all the raves, I believe the Hyatt Kauai is the Best Hyatt in the entire Hawaiian Islands. As you can tell I was disappointed when I arrived at the Hyatt Regency on Maui.

Drive from Kahului to Ka’anapali: I think the State of Hawaii and the County of Maui should spend some money on the development of better ways to get to West Maui. When you rent a car and look at the timeline it will take you to drive to Ka’anapali or Kapalua, it says it will take you 45 – 60 minutes driving time. However, it does not include the traffic jams you encounter in Lahaina. It took me 2 hours to get to the Hyatt. Only 1 road in and out… How whacked is that?

Hyatt: I think overall, most of the disappointment was due to the fact I felt the hotel was really showing its age. I stayed at the Regency Level on the 22nd floor overlooking the Ka’anapali South Golf Course. The Regency Club and it’s staff was great and added to stay. However, if you are on the 22nd floor the elevators are slow and will take forever to get to. Speaking about the Elevators – It’s Dark and Humid, you will need your Regency Club Card to get to the 22nd floor. The reason I mention this, it’s dark and you need to have it in hand to slide into the slot.

Restaurants: Overpriced and the food is just OK. Checkout some of the restaurants in Lahaina, I think you will be very surprised without the $$$.

Luau Show: Met some friends at the Drums of the Pacific, since we could not get into the Old Lahaina Luau. We had experienced other luau’s on Kauai and Oahu, so we wanted to try the VIP treatment. We were given a table near the stage under this tree that kept dropping things on our table. When we went to the Luau Buffet, we found the food to be exceptional, however the numerous flies kept us from enjoying our meal. Our waiter “Joe” told us it only happens during the summer???? That did not make sense.

Pools: The pools were PACKED full of old lounge chairs that were inches apart. The beach was rocky and murky.

Golf: The only Course Open was the South Course, since the North is being redone. Slow Play and over used greens. I played at several courses at Kapalua (Bay & Plantation) and Wailea (Gold & Emerald), which was out of this world.

Other Activities: Para Sail – You need to book this a day or two in advance.

Overall the Kaanapali area did not feel very "Hawaii". If you are looking to stay on this Island here are a few tips. For some of you looking for the sun without all the traffic, I would suggest the Wailea area and all it’s beautiful Hotels. If you are looking for cooler climate with some clouds, but beautiful views, try Kapalua and the Ritz. However, for those looking to stay in the Ka’anapali area, check out the Sheraton - it looked really nice from the outside and their beach area was much better.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2006

I must say that reading through the other reviews, I am surprised by all the raves. Let me begin by saying that my new husband and I started our honeymoon on Kauai at the Grand Hyatt Resort and Spa and were blown away by that property. It was absolutely an amazing resort. So, we were disappointed when we arrived at the Hyatt Regency on Maui.

I think overall, most of the disappointment was due to the fact that the grounds and the hotel were not nearly as manicured as Kauai. I felt the hotel was really showing its age. Sure, I have seen worse, but coming from somewhere 20 times better made it hard to remember that. It would have helped if we felt the staff was accomodating, but in fact we found them rude and curt. Furthermore, we were only offered rooms by the elevator shafts which were noisy. The cleaning staff also had some sort of work room by the elevators and all we heard all day were carts and doors banging around.

The pools were PACKED full of old lounge chairs that were inches apart. The beach was rocky and murky. I did have a very nice lomi lomi massage in the spa and the workout facility looked nice a big, but I gave myself a week off from that.

As with almost anything in Hawaii, the food and beverage at the Hyatt were overpriced for their calibur, but that is just something we got used to.

Overall the Kaanapali area did not feel very "Hawaii" - many fewer "aloha's" and alot more rudeness. If you are looking to stay in this area, check out the Sheraton - it looked really nice from the outside and their beach area was much better.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank OhioBuckeye8
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2006

My husband and I spent a week at the Hyatt Regency Maui for our honeymoon in April and we had an amazing time there. As soon as we arrived, we were greeted with fresh leis, our bags were unloaded by the staff and our car was valet parked. Upon checking in, we were upgraded to a deluxe oceanview suite and a bellman escorted us and our bags to our room. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and the rooms are very spacious, clean and luxorious. The Hyatt is located in Kaanapali, which in my opinion, is the ideal place to stay in Maui. It is only a 10 minute drive from Lahaina, where a lot of the restaurants and shops are.

I would recommend the Hyatt to anyone. Even though there were quite a few families there (we went right around Spring Break) we didn't mind the kids too much. The pool is refreshing and we enjoyed the very delicious (and expensive) breakfast buffet at the Swan Court. There is also a weekly reception for honeymooners and you will also receive a complimentary bottle of champagne.

• Stayed April 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2006

Thanks to this site, and all the great advice here, we changed our reservations from the Westin to the Hyatt at the last minute and we are so grateful we did. We hadn't been to Maui in years and previously always stayed at the Westin. Then, a very thoughtful reviewer mentioned how the Westin was now overrun with kids due to the timeshare boom there - and how the Hyatt seems to "isolate the kids to their own pool area and absorb them with their large grounds" making them a non issue. I got a laugh out of that but it is a very apt description. We walked down to the Westin a few times on the way to Whaler's village (really fun shopping there) and it looked like Disneyland~ I am not exaggerating when I say that I must have seen about 25 kids for every adult running around there.
The arrival was great at the Hyatt, the staff is so friendly and we loved the lei greeting and the grand lobby. Be sure to use valet when you arrive or you will miss the lei greeting. And the first night of valet is free, and then soars to something like $25 per night. After that, park yourself, it's a breeze and then you don't have to wait in line for your car each time you want to leave as well. We were offered a deluxe ocean view upgrade for $75 and said yes, and it was so worth it. Absolutely made a world of difference to my husband and I but neither set of our parents would do it, and stared out at the parking lot instead.
We had the free buffet breakfast - used the AAA discount when we booked online, and the best room rate I saw available as well ($325 nightly). I never found the Swan Court Breakfast deal anywhere else and believe me, I looked. It meant the world to our discount-oriented parents, possibly their favorite part of this high end vacation. It is scrumptious and elegant and a great way to start the day. If you have to pay yourself, it is $25 per person. If the line is long when you get there, don’t worry, it moves really fast. I saw the line up the stairs on Sunday and was seated and eating within 15 minutes.
Anyway, as I mentioned, the Whaler's village is great, and if the walk back to the hotel in the heat seems daunting, there are free busses back to the hotels that run out front of the center. We happened on to that by mistake and were so pleased - it was really, really hot the week we were there. They said about 85 - 87 degrees but we were actually uncomfortable everyday between about 10 am and 4 pm, but because of our parents, we couldn’t really do the pool or beach. We snuck off a few times and the beach outside the Hyatt may not be the best, but walk just a little bit down and it’s fine, the ocean was wonderful and we went in every chance we got.
We loved Warren and Annabelle’s went there mainly for our parents but we really loved it. Check out the review in Maui Revealed, it is right on. And the place is adorable, and each person gets their own plate of ‘appetizers’, huge and more than enough, followed by gigantic desserts. We asked for fresh fruit instead and they were accommodating. You spend about an hour in this beautiful ‘salon’, watching a piano show and eating, and then the awesome show is in an intimate 78 person theatre. We had a party of six and they saved us 6 seats together, and made sure we had a lovely table together. It was fancier and better than I have seen reviewed on this site.
We went on a dinner cruise, but didn’t love it, could be because we frequently go on San Francisco Bay and the Maui ones don’t compare.
Cheeseburger in Paradise was about $100 for 6 with only 2 drinks, it's just ok, and if you sit upstairs in the bar, it will be loud because of the band.
A trip to Grand Wailea was nice they have some great art in their lovely lobby, and we had a superb lunch at Longhi's there - at the mall. I hear that it has gone down in quality (used to be a favorite of ours) but lunch is fractions of the price and we loved the lobster cannelloni.
Also had dinner at the Cascades at the hotel and it was perfect but try to get a table outside if you can, as a larger party we were stuck inside and wished we weren’t. Food is top notch fusion and the best meal we had in Maui.

• Stayed June 2006
33 Thank Jamieagogo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 31 in Lahaina
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Andaz Maui At Wailea

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!