“Exceeded my expectations!”

Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Exceeded my expectations!”
Reviewed December 4, 2004

I started reading reviews of the Hyatt when I started planning my trip to Maui in March. Some of the extremely negative comments concerned me, so I may have lowered my expectations somewhat. Having returned last week from a week-long stay at the Hyatt, I must say the facilities and staff far exceeded my expectations. I was in Maui for the Maui Invitational basketball tournament and part of a package deal with a travel agency, so I don't know what they paid. Included was the $15 resort fee that many complain about. I had an oceanfront deluxe room in the main tower with an awesome view. The bathroom was standard and small, but I spent so little time in the room that it was not a big concern for me. So if you spend lots of time in the bathroom, look elsewhere. And yes, there's not much beach at the Hyatt. But from the looks of most folks on the beach--the ones who obviously ate their money's worth at the luau-- the short and and pleasant walk on the beach walk is a good way to lose some excess baggage. Certainly if you're too lazy to make it, look elsewhere. The pools and grounds of the Hyatt are impressive and the staff was very responsive to my requests. Dinner at Cascades was very good and what I expected to pay in Hawaii. If you're looking to save money, there's a McDonald's in Whaler's Village, but then you're missing out on some of the local specialties that also can be found in the Village. I didn't want the hassle of a rental car (gas on Maui is currently $2.67 a gallon, and parking is rarely free) so I got everywhere I wanted by shuttle or taxi. The bus from the Hyatt to Lahaina is just a buck (taxi is about $10) and I often found taxis pulling up minutes before the bus offering cheaper fares. But don't fall for the frequent cab driver ruse that the bus was full and skipping the Hyatt. I made a couple of visits to the Westin and found it attractive, although I much preferred the Hyatt's shopping venues to the Westin's self-promotion of other resorts and time-shares. The convenience of the shops in the Hyatt was nice, but I'd suggest you first hit the ABC Store (more than alcohol) in Whaler's Village or along Front Street in Lahaina or the Hilo Hattie in Lahaina for better values. Among my first things I'd recommend after checking in at the Hyatt is to visit Aloha Services between the buildings. Gael was most helpful in suggesting and planning my activities and arranging the necessary pick-ups using the universally-accepted voucher system. I did the Old Lahaina Luau and was very pleased with it, particularly after seeing some of the Hyatt's while strolling the beach walk. A number of my friend's tried to steer me away from a helicopter ride, but the views were well worth the money and I never worried about my safety. My biggest regrets? Not being able to spend another week on Maui. I got most of my major activities done (the exception being seeing the sun rise and then biking down Haleakala) but would have loved to spend more time on the beach and would have liked to check out the Hyatt fitness center as well. Perhaps in four or five years when my beloved Tar Heels return to the tournament!

• Stayed November 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,319)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 18, 2004

We came to the Hyatt with high expectations. We splurged and paid over $500 a night because it was our honeymoon, so I was expecting a hotel better than anything I had ever stayed at before. It was a beautiful hotel. Upon check in, you received a lei, which was a neat touch. The lobby was lovely, and had a lot of exotic animals, but it kind of reminded me of an Embassy Suites. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I think it's because the room hallways overlook the lobby. Check in went quickly. We had gotten a deluxe ocean front room. The view was out of this world. The bed was situated facing the balcony, so the first thing you see when you wake up is the ocean. Other than the fantastic view, the room was ok. The bathroom was tiny. The doors were kind of old and marked up. I seriously don't mean to nitpick, but at a hotel like that, you wouldn't expect that. The bed was very comfortable. But overall, the room was kind of small and not what I would expect for paying that much money. The decor was lovely, though.
The pool was AWESOME. We had so much fun at the pool. With a pool like that, who needs a great beach? They have two large pools connected by some caves with a bar inside one of the caves. The bar serves wonderful drinks. The slide was fun.
The restaurants were fantastic. Spats had great food, and the Swan Court had the most extravagant breakfast buffet I had ever seen! That meal alone would fill you up the entire day.
Overall, I thought the Hyatt was lovely. I think if I were going to stay at the Hyatt again, then I'd pay the extra money for the ocean front room because the view was magnificent, but that's all the room really had going for it. Next time, we might try someplace else.

• Stayed October 2003
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 17, 2004

We have no complaints at all, The Hyatt Maui was a lovely hotel! Comfy beds, wonderful service, beautiful grounds, would recommend to anyone! Aloha ! Not to be missed, book thru a package deal for excellent rates.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 15, 2004

Excellent rooms. Very nice atmosphere, gardens, pool. Good food at hotel restaraunts, friendly staff. Geary Sloan, the business center manager was very helpful. I wish the bar at the pool was open later.

Reviewed November 15, 2004

We stayed at the Hyatt from 11/6/04-11/12/04, and the overall experience was great as we were of course in Maui but...........

Almost daily housekeeping would not collect old towels, replace soaps.
We had mold growing on the tile grout in the bathroom
The water pressure was poor, like a leaking faucet.
There was the constant sound of drilling, or construction work above our room, when we questioned it the desk simply said sorry, tough luck.

There is a $15 per day service charge which is said to cover a short spread of what should be considered accommodations (included)

The $10 valet contrary to other reviews, we received a tip from one of the hotel employees indicating that as long as we moved the car to the parking lot before 10:00 PM the first night, we would not be charged. This was a good tip because the lot is not far from the patio level, and the valet can back up heavily in the evening not to mention the savings.

Overall the grounds were beautiful, the beach is a moderate stroll from the hotel as there is little beach front directly in front of the hotel which went from grass to water.

For a five star hotel we were disappointed, the prices were that of a five star but I would say that this is more like a 4 star.

It seems as if being at the top by way of 5 star rating has allowed for the reigns to slip slightly.

We are not picky people as we could enjoy Maui from a campsite, but when we are solicited to be staying at the best, we pay for the best, we expect it.

• Stayed November 2004
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Central Colorado
Reviewed November 15, 2004

Stayed at the Hyatt for a week during our honeymoon. We were initially given a fairly small room. It immediately became apparent that noise was going to be an issue. The rooms are not soundproofed well and there was a large family spread across four other rooms on the floor; the kids were running up and down the halls, etc. I went to inquire with the front desk about the possibility of switching rooms. The front desk clerk apologized profusely, explaining that he had checked in that family and had a feeling he would be receiving complaints. He switched us to a slightly more spacious room on a lower floor. Both rooms were spotless and very comfortable, with nice furnishings.

Noise was a problem throughout our stay, but not hugely so. It's just not a well soundproofed property. I'm a light sleeper, though, so take with a grain of salt. There was a wedding on the beach one night with music blasting from a DJ clearly audible in our room, but it wrapped up by 9PM.

All of the staff we came into contact with were beyond helpful. They were friendly, conversational, and knowlegable. The morning we intended to set out for Haleakala we ordered a picnic basket from room service and the gentleman who delivered it suggested we instead go to Hana that day. He was right - Haleakala was totally clouded in. He further suggested driving all the way around the other side past Hana (a rental car no-no) and he was right on that account as well. All the staff was like this -- conversational and excited to help, offer suggestions, whatever.

The beach directly in front of the Hyatt is not fantastic (rocky), but not as bad as the Marriott. It's better if you walk towards the Spa Moana end of the Hyatt property or go down by the Westin. The pool, on the other hand, is wonderful -- relaxing, laid back, and huge. People are not tripping (or floating, as the case may be) over one another. The poolside bars serve excellent drinks, the best we had in Hawaii.

The restaurants are very good; we ate at Cascades and Spats. Both were delicious, with creative dishes.

We used the services of the Spa and it was outstanding. Clean, beautiful, and relaxing.

The day we were to leave, I called to request a late checkout and was told that we could stay until 4pm with a $75 charge. Wasn't thrilled about it but I agreed to it. When I went downstairs to check out, the $75 charge wasn't on my bill; the clerk looked at the bill and decided that because we had used so many services of the hotel (spa, restaurants, etc) that he would waive the fee, which was very nice of him.

All in all our stay was fantastic. We will return here.

2 Thank Danuary
Denver, CO
Reviewed November 15, 2004

My wife and I had the most wonderful and relaxing vacation at the Hyatt. What's new is the ability to have pool chairs on the grass facing the ocean - it doesn't get any better than that! The room was clean, housekeeping impeccable, and the staff very friendly and warm. This hotel has old charm, and a fabulous location - but make sure you go after summer vacation, if you don't have kids. The only negative is the difficulty in finding a spot to self-park your rental car.

1 Thank BWDDS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!