“Thanks Hyatt!”

Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Thanks Hyatt!”
Reviewed October 11, 2004

Wow. What else can I say? This place was unbelievable! We just returned from our honeymoon on Maui, staying at the Hyatt for 7 nights. It was 7 nights of paradise.

The room was great. Not huge, but adequate. The decor was very tasteful and elegant, and the bed was unbelievable. We had a "partial ocean view" room, which overlooked the parking lot (we didn't ever hear any cars outside during the night), but to your left about 150 yards away was the ocean. It was close enough to hear the crashing waves at night - that's all I cared about. We didn't come all the way to Maui to stay in the room all day. It suited our needs just fine.

The hotel itself was the highlight of our trip. It truly added to the experience of Maui. Yes, things are expensive, and yes, they do "nickel and dime" you, but we expected it, so it wasn't so much of a shock. I truly doubt I will ever stay at a more beautiful hotel - at this price range anyway. We truly felt special. The staff was very helpful, friendly, and very eager to please. Especially the gentleman selling the sunscreen at the cart near the pool. What a character. We were surprised by a bottle of champagne in our room one night. Very nice touch. We enjoyed everything about the hotel.

The restaurants we tried were excellent. Cascades Grill was delicious, and the setting was divine. The breakfast at Swan Court was the highlight of each day. Well worth the additional nightly charge we paid for our room.

The parking situation was a little irritating, but as one previous reviewer put it - you're staying at a four star hotel - act four star. Get some water at Safeway and don't spend the money on the mini bar - that alone will pay for the valet parking. Plus, the valet guys were hilarious and very helpful.

Overall, we'd stay here again in a heartbeat. We checked out the other hotels up the beach (at least their grounds) and we both concluded that the Hyatt was the best. Thanks for a wonderful honeymoon Hyatt, and we'll be back soon!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,327)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mckinney, TX
Reviewed October 8, 2004

I have to agree with the other reviewers who were disappointed with the Hyatt. We were expecting a luxury hotel with good service. Most importantly, we were expecting at least a 'clean' hotel room.

5 Star Service????
It all started with our check-in. We had rented a car and were going to self-park. My husband and I had just come from a 3 night stay at the Grand Wailea. We had gone on an early morning tour and were pretty much tired by the time we had arrived to the Hyatt in the mid-afternoon. As we drove up to the front of the Hyatt and started to get our many bags from the car I expected someone to come and offer to help us with our bags. The employees at the front saw us taking our bags out of the car but the young man who had come up to us initally turned and walked away. My husband drove away and I stood there with 2 large bags and 4 carry ons waiting for someone to ask me if I needed help. No luck. So, I took my bags and I carried, pushed, dragged them to the front door. I stood there waiting for my husband to return from parking the car. Still no offer to help me with my bags. My husband showed up and we carried the bags into the check-in line. Still no offer to help. We stood in the check-in line where we slowly lifted and pushed our luggage along as the line creeped up to the check-in counter. I was very upset and I let the people at the counter know it. Must say didn't really get much of an apology which was disappointing. The guy at the counter had to wave the bellboy down to take our bags. His comment "all of these bags".

4.5 Star Luxurious Hotel Resort??
So we are taken to our room. It wasn't in the tower section of the hotel. Even though we paid between $400-$500 for the Deluxe Ocean View Room for 6 nights. We arrived in a room at the 3rd floor level. As other reviewers have stated. It was FAR from luxurious. Obvious dark stains on the carpets, the sofas, big smudges all over the glass doors. Our single balcony overlooked .... the pool and a whole mess of palm trees. Where was the ocean view?? The room had a stale smell to it. My husband called the front desk .. they said they could get us a different room the next day. I thought about this for a bit and realized I was paying for a Deluxe Ocean View Room and they put me here?? I went into the bathroom to get a look. Stained bathtub with the previous occupants hair in the tub. The toilet seat had urine stains and hair on it. There was no way I was going to stay in this room. I couldn't imagine getting into this tub or walking on the carpet barefoot! I called customer service of the company I had booked my rooms through and they connected me directly to the manager at the Hyatt. There was no way I was going to stay in these conditions for the next 6 nights. Thanks to the help of customer service with the company I booked my stay with the Hyatt miraculously was able to find a 'Deluxe Ocean View' room with immediate availability for us.

The guy at the front desk didn't seem too worried about the conditions of the room they had checked us into initially. I told him he should have someone go in and clean the tub and toilet because of the hair and urine. Didn't seem overly concerned or apologetic either.

We went to look at the other room. It was as described when we booked the 'Deluxe Ocean View'. Unfortunately, there still was a problem with the bathroom. Their was what appeared to be pubic hair in the stained bathtub. I requested they send someone up to clean it. Someone from housekeeping showed up with a dustpan and a broom?? I ended up scrubbing the tub down myself. Just the way I want to spend my vacation at a luxurious resort! The room was nicer. But as others have stated run down with stained carpets etc. By the time we checked into the first room, complained to the front desk, called customer service, talked to the manager at the Hyatt, exchanged room keys, checked out the new room, moved our luggage from the first room to the other and made multiple trips to the front desk our check-in process took 1 hour 30 minutes. Which got us awfully close to missing our dinner cruise.

The outside of the Hyatt and the lobby are nice. Great art pieces, gardens and birds/penguins But again as others have stated if you were sleeping outside or in the lobby that would be great. Reality is the luxury room rate we paid was for a pretty much less than luxurious room.

The Hyatt should invest in new carpets, sofas, chairs etc. It is pretty beat up. Even the chairs in the highly praised Swan Court restaurant are worn and have stains on them.

I didn't mind the daily resort fee. I had to pay that at the Grand Wailea. I agree the beach at the Hyatt isn't much and you have to walk further down the beach. The pool was average. I didn't find anything outstanding or spectacular about it. Parking was really bad. We couldn't find self-parking one nights and had to mention it to get the $10 valet parking fee off our bill. The buffet breakfast was good.

Our experience at the Hyatt in Maui will cause us to be cautious about the Hyatt's we choose to stay at in the future. I am upset that they were trying to put us into a room that we did not pay for. We were at the Hyatt for 6 nights. Were they really going to keep us in that inital room the entire time after we had paid for the Deluxe Ocean View room? We had booked our stay months before. That is what really makes me mad. The dirty bathrooms grossed me out but I got over it. But I must admit I still would never take a bath in those tubs! I was afraid to put my toothbrush down on the counter or to wear the robes that hung in the closet for fear that they weren't clean. We stayed at the Waikkiki Hyatt the year before and have nothing but praise for that hotel. I can't say the same for the Maui Hyatt.

If you really want to stay at a luxury resort in Maui the Grand Wailea is a must. The Kea Lani looked really nice also. Don't know where we will stay if we go back to Lahiana. I do know we won't be staying at the Hyatt.

9 Thank mandy_l_g
Reviewed October 5, 2004

My husband and I just returned from a 10 day holiday at the hyatt in lahaina.We both agree that it was not a luxury hotel but not a standard one either,actually it was a balance of both.the grounds were beautiful,we got upgraded to a full ocean view room...and the view was amazing,ocean in front,the mountains to the side.The room was nicely decorated not luxurious,the bed was so comfortableBathroom could be updated but it was fine for us.The pool was lovely and the slide fun,we had no problem getting poolside chairs.I agree with others,the beach in front the hotel,was rocky and waters murkey but a short walk down the waters are clearer and calm.
The staff was super friendly but everything in the hotel was expensive,and concierge was a bit misleading at times with thier refernces.Cascades restaurant the dinner and room service was quite good...and we had complimentary breakfast at swans Court food is decent.They gym was superb,and we enjoyed the grounds of the hotel alot....we did daily expeditions to all over the island and other hotels and found the hyatt the staff and other guests were the friendliest.

Reviewed October 5, 2004

My husband and I just returned from a 6 night stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui. We were very impressed. The grounds were a tropical oasis. My hubby is still talking about the baby penguin! We consider ourselves quite picky, but were overall not disappointed. We had the deluxe ocean view overlooking the pool area. A great view of the ocean and the grounds. The rooms were spacious w/ a great closet. We did have an iron, ironing board and hair dryer in the room. All service at the hotel far exceeded the service we received at most other places we went for meals!!! Cascades grill was awesome. We recommend the sushi, filet and lobster tail. Thank god breakfast was free because we found it mediocre and definately not worth 24 bucks!!!!! Spats was fair. Nothing to jump about. The concierge services were great and the valet services were great too. I think if you pay this much for a hotel and complain about having no place to park in the freebie lot, than maybe you should downsize your taste to a more moderate resort. It will take more effort pinching pennies here. This isn't the bargain barn. Your staying four star....act four star :)
The pool and spa were fabulous too!

New York City
Reviewed September 29, 2004

Quickly & Succinctly (i hope)....my husband and i stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali from Sept. 23-28.

The Good - The resort is absolutely beautiful on the outside - the gardens, wildlife (swans, flamingos, penguins, koi fish, cranes and parrots), poolside and beach front.

The Lacking Room & Service - they were nice enuf to upgrade us to a partial oceanview and looking out from the (really) tiny balcony we could see the pool, gardens and ocean to the right. however, i've stayed in rooms that were much more luxurious and paid less at an all-inclusive. there's no full length mirror, no iron or ironing board (u have to call for it) and their policy is to only change the sheets after 4 nights and u'll only get turndown service if u request it. i requested clean sheets nightly and turndown service and still didn't get it until i put in a second phone call.

Nickel & Diming ya - the resort has a lot going on, but you've gotta pay. if u want to sit on the very narrow beach bring your towel and be prepared to station yourself in front of those lounging on wood loungers with the covered cabanas that one must rent. the star-gazing event at the resort is $20 per person. the yoga and all other classes had a fee. everything has a price tag. oh yes, and how can i forget the rip-off $15 per night resort fee! it's a total crock. it's not optional and is supposed to cover the cost of your daily newspaper, use of the in-room safe and coffee pot and little things like that. why not just include it in the room rate?! besides, other nicer hotels include these things for free or it's just part of the room rate.

What We Liked - the gym was nice and apparently open at all times with good equipment. the breakfast buffet was delicious (the chocolate-banana cake divine!) and it was $21.95 pp+tax. (so it ain't cheap!) (we checked the dinner menu and most entrees were $36. we found good and reasonable dinner spots elsewhere). the free self-parking lot was an advantage, but it was usually packed and the spaces are tight.

Tips - get your water from the Safeway in Lahaina. (the fiji bottles in the room were $4.50 each) and we bought our souvenir pineapples from there too (the produce guy was terrific and full of information!). and u can get cheap excursions or even free ones by attending a timeshare presentation (just stick to saying NO). the westin even gives u $100.

Last Piece of Advice - save some money, get better service, better facilities and a better time in the Caribbean. St. Lucia's LeSport Body Holiday was heaven and the Dominican Republic's Secrets Resort is also a slice of perfection - both places are all inclusive with terrific food and LeSport even gives u daily spa treatments.

And finally...will we go back? NOPE.

3 Thank Ikeybabe
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed September 27, 2004

Background: We spent 10 days at the Hyatt for our honeymoon. We consider ourselves to be fairly picky/discriminating when it comes to accomodations, food, and beaches.

Impressions:
We thought the Hyatt was great. It's located on a nice part of the island -- Ka'anapali beach is nice, and the beachwalk that runs about a mile form the Hyatt up to Black Rock past the restaurants is nice. The Hyatt is definitely one of these nicest looking hotels on that beach. The lanscaping is very nice, the pool is great, and the ocean views are great.

We had a partial ocean view room, meaning that from inside the room, you saw the adjacent building and part of the moutain, but when you step out onto your (little) terrace, you can see the ocean. The room itself was nice with a TV, minibar, pull-out sofa, desk, etc. You can even get a mini fridge delivered to your room for no cost. I'm sure you can get a nicer room at one of the more expensive resorts, but who cares? We spent most of our time outside.

The food is very good. We ate at Cascades Grill several times for the fish and sushi. We also ventured off the property several times to try out other restaurants, but Cascades was just so convenient. We also ate at the Swan one night, and it was also very good. The breakfast buffet there is incredible.

Other positives include the gym, spa, water slide, good concierge service, and friendly staff.

Negatives:
As others have reported, the beach in front of the hotel is just ok. It's pretty narrow, and the water is not as clear as other places. Plus, there are some rocks that can be a little hazardous. However, you can walk 15 minutes up the beach past the Marriott towards Black Rock and there is a great beach. The water is clear and calm, and there are restaurants, bars, and chair/cabana rentals right there. There are also a couple of public parking lots on either side of Whaler's Village if you don't want to walk. In front of the Marriott, there is some decent surf where you can take surfing lessons...The beach in front of the Hyatt is fine for lounging with a book and a cold drink.

Parking -- at certain times the two parking lots can become full, especially during the luas in the evenings. This is annoying, but we discovered that you can do valet parking and tell them that the lots are full, and they will not charge you...Well, they're not supposed to. If they do, just tell the front desk to take the charges off when you check out.

Expensive -- yes, it is expensive, but all of Maui is expensive, esp. the resorts. You can save money by shopping at the Wal-Mart near the airport and avoiding things in the resorts.

Other tips:
We did the bike ride down the volcano at sunrise, and we highly recommend waiting and doing the mid-day ride. We had to leave the hotel at 2 am and it was cold, plus we couldn't see much of the volcano anyway. Sleep in, wait til it warms up and the sun is out, and do the mid-day ride. Pack some fleece, esp. if you do the morning ride. It was fun, and anyone can do it.

We didn't do a luau, because they seem so cheesy. You can look over the fence, and check out the one at the hotel.

Signing up for activities through the hotel concierge service is expensive. You can get much better rates on the bike ride, water activities, etc. by going into Lahaina or away from the resorts. In Lahaina, there is lots of competition to keep rates down. The activity companies along the Kaanapali beach are expensive. For instance, if you drive to the surfing beaches south of Lahaina, you can rent a surfboard all day for $25-$30. It'll cost you that much PER HOUR at the resorts.

Lahaina is a cheesy tourist town with tons of souvenir shops, but there are some good restaurants there.

Before you leave, drive East on 36 past the airport to Hookipa beach to check out the wind surfers and kite surfers. Mama's Fish House is there too -- it's very good, but very expensive too.

One last thing: rent a convertible...and pack lots of suncreen...and apply it everywhere! (The back of my knees are burnt from surfing.)

Can't wait to go back!

1 Thank atl_traveler_8
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 26, 2004

This is a nice hotel with great service. Excellent pool area. There are only a few things that keep this from being a top notch resort. There is the question of the 15.00 dollar a day resort fees that covers, local phone calls, in room use of safe, and use of fitness room and coffee. If your a Hyatt gold pass member, which is free to sigh up for on the Hyatt web site, you get those things for free, or so I thought, when I called the front desk to ask that question, they said yes, that’s true Hyatt gold pass members do get use of these services free, but the 15.00 a day resort fee is mandatory....uhhh ok, whatever, next problem that I thought was a major problem is parking, if you happen to be out later than 7 or 8 pm, you will not get a self parking spot at the resort, and the only other option is the 10.00 a day valet parking, so now that’s 25.00 a day they seem to soak out of you. Hyatt, why not just charge more for the rooms, then nickel and dime folks? A few times I went inside to tell them I cant find parking which they said no charge for valet tonight,, to later get my bill and see a 10.00 charge on there.
There were a few bugs in the room, nothing major, saw a ant in the bed, and a another bug of unknown origin,, sign on room door says to keep balcony room door shut due to bugs, but if u see some, just call and they will take care of it.
As far as pool chairs ECT, if you’re down by the pool before noon, you will not have a problem finding a spot near the pool, after that, it gets tough to find a spot. Since the Hyatt has the best pool in the area I did notice a few people from other hotels using the pool.
As far an entertainment goes. They have a nice ceremony with a speaker and hula dancers welcoming new comers to the resort at about 6 pm, that last about 20 mins, then the lounge lizard comes in, this guy can put anyone to sleep, his song selection was terrible and why we choose to go to another hotel in the area for entertainment. The Hyatt targets an older crowed with their night time enntertainment, after an 8.75; MAI TAI and his 3rd attempted at "The Girl from Ipanema” I was ready to move on. Went to embassy suites down the road, was much better.
Hyatt's Room service was excellent and always on time, there is a 3.50 room service fee, + 17 % gratuity on room serive orders,,,i didn’t read it the first time I ordered and put a tip on the tip line, on the Receipt,,thats right, the Receipt
has a additional tip line. Anyway,,,as other reviews has stated there is not a decent beach in front of the hotel, but there is one just about a 15 to 20 min walk down the beach, if that’s what you want. All and all I enjoyed my stay here, the parking is a Major problem they need to correct, but the employees at the resort were pleasant and friendly, and service was excellent and they always seemed willing to help if u had questions...oh and as others have said, looks a bit in need to renovation, I didn’t see that, looked great to me, inside and out. I did see a couple mice at night running around were they keep the penguins and birds, and fish pond but its outside in the atrium area and to be expected. The swan court restaurant is nice but the breakfast buffet wasn’t that great for 25.00 a person, go to Maui Tacos instead, they have great breakfast.

• Stayed September 2004
2 Thank goldendeal40
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#13 of 32 in Lahaina
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!