“Loved, Loved, Loved they Hyatt”

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved, Loved, Loved they Hyatt”
Reviewed October 5, 2004

My husband and I just returned from a 6 night stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui. We were very impressed. The grounds were a tropical oasis. My hubby is still talking about the baby penguin! We consider ourselves quite picky, but were overall not disappointed. We had the deluxe ocean view overlooking the pool area. A great view of the ocean and the grounds. The rooms were spacious w/ a great closet. We did have an iron, ironing board and hair dryer in the room. All service at the hotel far exceeded the service we received at most other places we went for meals!!! Cascades grill was awesome. We recommend the sushi, filet and lobster tail. Thank god breakfast was free because we found it mediocre and definately not worth 24 bucks!!!!! Spats was fair. Nothing to jump about. The concierge services were great and the valet services were great too. I think if you pay this much for a hotel and complain about having no place to park in the freebie lot, than maybe you should downsize your taste to a more moderate resort. It will take more effort pinching pennies here. This isn't the bargain barn. Your staying four star....act four star :)
The pool and spa were fabulous too!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City
Reviewed September 29, 2004

Quickly & Succinctly (i hope)....my husband and i stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali from Sept. 23-28.

The Good - The resort is absolutely beautiful on the outside - the gardens, wildlife (swans, flamingos, penguins, koi fish, cranes and parrots), poolside and beach front.

The Lacking Room & Service - they were nice enuf to upgrade us to a partial oceanview and looking out from the (really) tiny balcony we could see the pool, gardens and ocean to the right. however, i've stayed in rooms that were much more luxurious and paid less at an all-inclusive. there's no full length mirror, no iron or ironing board (u have to call for it) and their policy is to only change the sheets after 4 nights and u'll only get turndown service if u request it. i requested clean sheets nightly and turndown service and still didn't get it until i put in a second phone call.

Nickel & Diming ya - the resort has a lot going on, but you've gotta pay. if u want to sit on the very narrow beach bring your towel and be prepared to station yourself in front of those lounging on wood loungers with the covered cabanas that one must rent. the star-gazing event at the resort is $20 per person. the yoga and all other classes had a fee. everything has a price tag. oh yes, and how can i forget the rip-off $15 per night resort fee! it's a total crock. it's not optional and is supposed to cover the cost of your daily newspaper, use of the in-room safe and coffee pot and little things like that. why not just include it in the room rate?! besides, other nicer hotels include these things for free or it's just part of the room rate.

What We Liked - the gym was nice and apparently open at all times with good equipment. the breakfast buffet was delicious (the chocolate-banana cake divine!) and it was $21.95 pp+tax. (so it ain't cheap!) (we checked the dinner menu and most entrees were $36. we found good and reasonable dinner spots elsewhere). the free self-parking lot was an advantage, but it was usually packed and the spaces are tight.

Tips - get your water from the Safeway in Lahaina. (the fiji bottles in the room were $4.50 each) and we bought our souvenir pineapples from there too (the produce guy was terrific and full of information!). and u can get cheap excursions or even free ones by attending a timeshare presentation (just stick to saying NO). the westin even gives u $100.

Last Piece of Advice - save some money, get better service, better facilities and a better time in the Caribbean. St. Lucia's LeSport Body Holiday was heaven and the Dominican Republic's Secrets Resort is also a slice of perfection - both places are all inclusive with terrific food and LeSport even gives u daily spa treatments.

And finally...will we go back? NOPE.

3 Thank Ikeybabe
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed September 27, 2004

Background: We spent 10 days at the Hyatt for our honeymoon. We consider ourselves to be fairly picky/discriminating when it comes to accomodations, food, and beaches.

Impressions:
We thought the Hyatt was great. It's located on a nice part of the island -- Ka'anapali beach is nice, and the beachwalk that runs about a mile form the Hyatt up to Black Rock past the restaurants is nice. The Hyatt is definitely one of these nicest looking hotels on that beach. The lanscaping is very nice, the pool is great, and the ocean views are great.

We had a partial ocean view room, meaning that from inside the room, you saw the adjacent building and part of the moutain, but when you step out onto your (little) terrace, you can see the ocean. The room itself was nice with a TV, minibar, pull-out sofa, desk, etc. You can even get a mini fridge delivered to your room for no cost. I'm sure you can get a nicer room at one of the more expensive resorts, but who cares? We spent most of our time outside.

The food is very good. We ate at Cascades Grill several times for the fish and sushi. We also ventured off the property several times to try out other restaurants, but Cascades was just so convenient. We also ate at the Swan one night, and it was also very good. The breakfast buffet there is incredible.

Other positives include the gym, spa, water slide, good concierge service, and friendly staff.

Negatives:
As others have reported, the beach in front of the hotel is just ok. It's pretty narrow, and the water is not as clear as other places. Plus, there are some rocks that can be a little hazardous. However, you can walk 15 minutes up the beach past the Marriott towards Black Rock and there is a great beach. The water is clear and calm, and there are restaurants, bars, and chair/cabana rentals right there. There are also a couple of public parking lots on either side of Whaler's Village if you don't want to walk. In front of the Marriott, there is some decent surf where you can take surfing lessons...The beach in front of the Hyatt is fine for lounging with a book and a cold drink.

Parking -- at certain times the two parking lots can become full, especially during the luas in the evenings. This is annoying, but we discovered that you can do valet parking and tell them that the lots are full, and they will not charge you...Well, they're not supposed to. If they do, just tell the front desk to take the charges off when you check out.

Expensive -- yes, it is expensive, but all of Maui is expensive, esp. the resorts. You can save money by shopping at the Wal-Mart near the airport and avoiding things in the resorts.

Other tips:
We did the bike ride down the volcano at sunrise, and we highly recommend waiting and doing the mid-day ride. We had to leave the hotel at 2 am and it was cold, plus we couldn't see much of the volcano anyway. Sleep in, wait til it warms up and the sun is out, and do the mid-day ride. Pack some fleece, esp. if you do the morning ride. It was fun, and anyone can do it.

We didn't do a luau, because they seem so cheesy. You can look over the fence, and check out the one at the hotel.

Signing up for activities through the hotel concierge service is expensive. You can get much better rates on the bike ride, water activities, etc. by going into Lahaina or away from the resorts. In Lahaina, there is lots of competition to keep rates down. The activity companies along the Kaanapali beach are expensive. For instance, if you drive to the surfing beaches south of Lahaina, you can rent a surfboard all day for $25-$30. It'll cost you that much PER HOUR at the resorts.

Lahaina is a cheesy tourist town with tons of souvenir shops, but there are some good restaurants there.

Before you leave, drive East on 36 past the airport to Hookipa beach to check out the wind surfers and kite surfers. Mama's Fish House is there too -- it's very good, but very expensive too.

One last thing: rent a convertible...and pack lots of suncreen...and apply it everywhere! (The back of my knees are burnt from surfing.)

Can't wait to go back!

1 Thank atl_traveler_8
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 26, 2004

This is a nice hotel with great service. Excellent pool area. There are only a few things that keep this from being a top notch resort. There is the question of the 15.00 dollar a day resort fees that covers, local phone calls, in room use of safe, and use of fitness room and coffee. If your a Hyatt gold pass member, which is free to sigh up for on the Hyatt web site, you get those things for free, or so I thought, when I called the front desk to ask that question, they said yes, that’s true Hyatt gold pass members do get use of these services free, but the 15.00 a day resort fee is mandatory....uhhh ok, whatever, next problem that I thought was a major problem is parking, if you happen to be out later than 7 or 8 pm, you will not get a self parking spot at the resort, and the only other option is the 10.00 a day valet parking, so now that’s 25.00 a day they seem to soak out of you. Hyatt, why not just charge more for the rooms, then nickel and dime folks? A few times I went inside to tell them I cant find parking which they said no charge for valet tonight,, to later get my bill and see a 10.00 charge on there.
There were a few bugs in the room, nothing major, saw a ant in the bed, and a another bug of unknown origin,, sign on room door says to keep balcony room door shut due to bugs, but if u see some, just call and they will take care of it.
As far as pool chairs ECT, if you’re down by the pool before noon, you will not have a problem finding a spot near the pool, after that, it gets tough to find a spot. Since the Hyatt has the best pool in the area I did notice a few people from other hotels using the pool.
As far an entertainment goes. They have a nice ceremony with a speaker and hula dancers welcoming new comers to the resort at about 6 pm, that last about 20 mins, then the lounge lizard comes in, this guy can put anyone to sleep, his song selection was terrible and why we choose to go to another hotel in the area for entertainment. The Hyatt targets an older crowed with their night time enntertainment, after an 8.75; MAI TAI and his 3rd attempted at "The Girl from Ipanema” I was ready to move on. Went to embassy suites down the road, was much better.
Hyatt's Room service was excellent and always on time, there is a 3.50 room service fee, + 17 % gratuity on room serive orders,,,i didn’t read it the first time I ordered and put a tip on the tip line, on the Receipt,,thats right, the Receipt
has a additional tip line. Anyway,,,as other reviews has stated there is not a decent beach in front of the hotel, but there is one just about a 15 to 20 min walk down the beach, if that’s what you want. All and all I enjoyed my stay here, the parking is a Major problem they need to correct, but the employees at the resort were pleasant and friendly, and service was excellent and they always seemed willing to help if u had questions...oh and as others have said, looks a bit in need to renovation, I didn’t see that, looked great to me, inside and out. I did see a couple mice at night running around were they keep the penguins and birds, and fish pond but its outside in the atrium area and to be expected. The swan court restaurant is nice but the breakfast buffet wasn’t that great for 25.00 a person, go to Maui Tacos instead, they have great breakfast.

• Stayed September 2004
2 Thank goldendeal40
Reviewed September 23, 2004

I can't believe some of the negative reviews about this hotel! I don't know if my husband and I just got lucky or were too honeymoon-brained to notice anything bad, but we LOVED the Hyatt!
I will agree that the nickel-and-diming and down-right rip-offing is annoying ($10 for a frozen drink, $45 for a manicure, $10 for a yoga class, etc), but we kind of expected it.
And as for the complaint about too many kids, maybe because we were there the second week in September, we didn't have that problem. Honestly, there weren't many kids at all and the ones that were there were wholly unannoying. We loved hanging out at the pool.
And while the beach was a little disappointing - it really is difficult to go in the water there - we didn't really mind - it's so hot on the beach anyway, we actually preferred the pool.
We thought the grounds and the room were beautiful and we stayed in the lowest rate (Terrace View) room. It was clean, spacious and very tastefully decorated. And everyone we dealt with at the Hyatt was so pleasant and helpful and friendly - no complaints on the service at all.
We also loved the restaurants - breakfast at The Swan Court was a fantastic way to start the day. We also dined at The Cascades (steak & sushi) and thought it was delicious - of course the scenery is so fantastic, honestly the food probably wasn't the first thing on our minds. We also tried Spats (the Italian trattoria on premisis) - it wasn't outstanding, but it was definitely quite good. We enjoyed our meal there.
I only have one negative thing to say about the Hyatt, aside from the ridiculous prices for everything - the luau (The Drums Of The Pacific)- I would not recommend it. The food was good but the show was BORING. We actually renamed it the "LAME-au". Definitely not worth the $80 a person. But other than that, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would happily return. It's a beautiful hotel.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 22, 2004

My wife & I just returned from 5 days at the Hyatt. We enjoyed the hotel very much. A couple of things regarding previous reviews... yes there is a $15 resort fee per night, per room, it covers cost of coffee/tea and use of athletic facilities. The covered wood chaise lounges on the beach cost $30 per day to rent. They do not charge to sit in a hammock. Yes a poolside cocktail is $7.00, duh, your in Hawaii remember? Valet parking is $10, self parking is free. The grounds of the hotel are very beautiful and relaxing. This is what you will remember most. They offer free water aerobics, yoga, etc. If you dont have kids, avoid this hotel during the summer time. We went when school was back in session and found very few screaming children running loose. The staff was very friendly. We recieved a lei from the bellman and all staff was accomadating throughout our stay. We stayed in a deluxe ocean view which had a nice balcony on the 6 floor of the napili tower. Restaurants are a dissapointment, dont bother with more than a burger/cocktails poolside. If you have read other reviews, you know by now that the beach is small, it is still beautiful and has plenty of room to lay on the sand. The walk toward Whalers village/decent restaurants is a little long, but is also a nice walk along the water during sunset. Enjoyed our dinner at Leilani's and the bar at Hula Grill is good. This is a very nice hotel. There are quieter, more mature hotels in Maui. This is a hotel that has pretty much everything you could want (except good restaurants). I didn't feel nickeled and dimed. I would probably return to this hotel, I would definitly return if I had kids. Aloha.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Valencia, CA
Reviewed September 20, 2004

We have an 8 year old (yes, one of the cannonball-in-the-pool-ones) and a 19 month old. This place was perfect for us. The little one spent hours in the children's pool area with the sand and the little slide. The 8 year old discovered the underwater cave and went down the 10 foot slide over and over. The beach was small, but we still enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed the fact that my 8 year old could be on the beach and I could be by the pool and still see her. The grounds are fabulous and they upgraded us to the morning buffet at the Swan Court. Great buffet breakfast with eggs benedict, pancakes, make your own omelets, fruits, cakes, muffins, bacon, fish, salmon.....
For the pool, get to the chairs early, and pick out the best ones because they go fast after 9am. We found a little spot under some trees that were cool and shady all day long.
We went to Black Rock for snorkeling and to Lahaina for dinners. The restaurants were OK, but pricey. The hamburgers by the pool were a little pricey, but huge and delicious.
We bought a boogie board at Lahaina for $12 and used it all week. Cheaper than renting.
I think this is a great place for families, but I wouldn't necessarily come here as a newlywed couple. There are lots of kids and not a lot of privacy. It wouldn't be the most fun for you. But, if you have kids, I recommend it highly.

• Stayed August 2004
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#19 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!