“Great hotel; Okay location”

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dublin
“Great hotel; Okay location”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for 1 week of our honeymoon. We had booked room-only as the buffet breakfast was something like $22.50 per person per day. However as it was our honeymoon the receptionist upgraded us on arrival to include complimentary breakfast on our booking.
The hotel itself is quite big - large rooms, huge open-air lobby that leads into a small shopping corridor (there is a good newsagent-type shop that is great for buying snacks for the pool or your room, and there is also a Macy's), 3 restaurants (a steak house which is a bit pricey, a sushi bar, and a pool-side restaurant that serves burgers, fish & chips, etc), a big pool with lots of sun-loungers and joins up with a lagoon pool that has a bar, and also joins to a smaller children's pool with a water slide. The beach is nice, but isn't very wide and most of it is belonging to one hotel or another so hard to find a "public" spot.
The resort is one of several hotel resorts on that stretch of Kaanapali beach, and it is about a 15 minute walk through the resorts as far as Whaler's Village which has a few restaurants/cafe's and some shops (varying from souvenir kiosks, to Pandora, to Louis Vuitton). Unfortunately, other than Whaler's Village there isn't much else within walking distance. To go to Lahaina town you would need to hire a car or order a cab - it's about 10 minute's drive and would cost approximately $15 in a cab.
I would recommend the Hyatt if you enjoy resort-life and have no problem sitting by the pool every day. However, we like to investigate our surroundings a bit but it wasn't possible unless we got a cab. That's just our preference though, and there was no issue with the hotel so I would still rate it highly.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank irishopinion

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,327)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We first stayed at this resort back in June - July 2011 and were determined to return. That we did! We stayed for 5 nights again and it was better than we remembered. This resort has to be one of the most beautiful! Everything is so tropical, clean and luxurious. The staff are polite and friendly and nothing is ever too much for them. We arrived without our luggage which seemed to have taken their own vacation and the staff at the front desk offered us toiletries and anything else we may need to tide us over. Thankfully our belongings did turn up but we appreciated the gesture. The first day housekeeping forgot to leave us our 2 water bottles but a quick call to guest services brought us 4 bottles. The next day we received a call from the head of Guest Services apologising profusely about that! Honestly we weren't even upset just thirsty! The only complaint we have is that we didn't stay longer. Our third visit, which we are already planning, will definitely be at least a week!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa. I'm so thrilled that you were able to visit us again. I'm happy to hear that you had another great stay and enjoyed our beautiful hotel.

We are very lucky to have great associates working with us and I'm happy to hear of the service you received during your stay. I will certainly forward your feedback to our management team. We can't wait to welcome you back again.

Becky S-Guest Relations Associate
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Thie hotel is huge and is suitable for families looking for a luxurious holiday. The swimming pool is huge and they have birds, penguins etc in the hotel. The spa is very good and service is personalized. In general, hotel staff are friendly and helpful. I will not recommend this hotel for a romantic getaway though because there are many families staying here. I enjoyed the onsite shopping facilities and the laundry room is well equipped and maintained.

Rosemere, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I,
we are at this hotel since 2 days,
and we have , 5 more days.

It is by far the bad service we had.
We travel often , Europe, noth america, caraibes, at Loews, hyatt, hilton , iprefer( Paris
wonderful) , iberostar, ect.
I reserve a double room mountain view, at a high level.
and I ask to be upgrade for partiel or deluxe ocean view, and I 'll pay for it, if possible.

THEY gave us
a room for handicap people at the second level, with very soft beds and old
furniture.
I reserved on the web site of hyatt , not on a low cost site.
My requests were simple .

Maui is a jewel!
hyatt regency is a nice hotel,
but there are many nice hotel nearby with better services,
j.jannard

Room Tip: don't have consideration for your simple requests, many fees, parking, plus 30$/day fees
2 Thank 987janna
HyattMauiManager, Manager at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Aloha and thank you for your feedback. With the demand we have for upgraded categories - such as Ocean Front - we can only guarantee the room view type that you book. We always encourage our guests to book the room view they are looking for as upgrades at time of check in are only based upon availability. We hope your overall Maui visit was a delightful one and hope for the chance to better serve you in the future. Mahalo!
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Oh my… This place is huge, and, as of July 2014, a gigantic construction place! Depending on where you stay, this will affect you. But that's not why this review gets such a low grade. For that, I need to start at the beginning: us pulling up to the lobby.

I get out of the taxi, and no bellboy in sight. Sure, I see them chatting in the lobby, I look at them, as I help my 73 yr old father out of the cab and assist my husband with our 16 month old son, while paying the cabby and unloading our luggage. Still no sight of the bell boys. I walk into the hotel, and they're still in a corner, chatting. I literally have to walk up to them and wake them out of their reveries to ask them if they might be able to assist us. Grudgingly, they oblige, but no welcome to the Hyatt…

The check-in is better. Steven at the front desk is very polite and friendly. Our rooms aren't ready as we're early, but we're sent off to lunch and he'd call when the rooms are ready. Fine. During lunch, I get two texts, assuming both rooms are ready, but alas, no such luck. Only the suite is ready, and it's tiny at the far end of the hotel (hundreds of yards to walk) Meanwhile we discover that we forgot to pick up one piece of luggage at the airport carousel (we normally don't check that bag) and I approach the bell desk again for assistance in calling the airport (I have no number and no Internet access) The look on the lady's face says it all: "Do I really have to do this?" I'm embarrassed at having to rely on her assistance, but I need the bag and the airport is an hour's drive away…

Eventually she does come around and help. She even turns friendly and helps me with my dad's keys when his room is ready hours later (they call the suite where we didn't get the call, as we're still at lunch rather than texting me again)

The suite is tiny and has some flaws: a) no desk (come on, no desk? in a hotel room? in a SUITE? unheard of! My dad's room had one…) b) we were right on top of the daily luau with constant drumming and chanting from 5 to 9 pm (no sleep for the baby of course), the door to the bedroom & the bathroom didn't close unless you locked it (which doesn't work for us with a child).

I complained and was offered another suite, clear on the other side of the hotel, hundreds and hundreds of yards from my dad, right by the construction (more quite? I doubt it) and still no desk…

Then there was the dismal breakfast buffet (the eggs were disgusting, and the coffee undrinkable), the nonchalance of many of the staff, no one greeting you in the corridors, everyone seemed stressed out and finally, when we came back from a day trip, our suite had not been serviced. By that time, we had already found "refuge" at the Ritz Carlton, five minutes up the road, where things are like night and day.

There are some nice things I want to add, as it's not all bad. The garden, beach and grounds are beautiful, although I presume the birds that live there have had their wings cut to keep them from flying to freedom. PETA?

Some of the staff, like Steven at the front desk, our server at the beach restaurant where we went for cocktails in the evening was stellar, and my dad's room was really nice, but we need a separate bedroom if I'm to sleep at all, and as an author with a deadline, I NEED a desk.

We found Steven to let him know we were leaving and he arranged for us to 'get out' without having to pay penalties, which was the least they could do given the treatment we had received, but it meant rushing to our rooms and getting out within an hour…

I am really sad, but I cannot recommend this hotel. I was under the false impression that the Hyatt brand was worth a bit more than a Hilton, but this was clearly not the case. This is NOT a four star property, and the only people truly welcoming us to the hotel were the sales people from the Time Share department. Thanks, but no thanks!

Room Tip: Do not go for the suites. They are tiny and even though newly redecorated, the doors don't seem...
Green Features: standard (please re-use towels), all the plastic one way cups at the beach don't really speak to an environmentally friendly place. Re-usable cups anyone?
6 Thank Hans H
HyattMauiManager, Manager at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Aloha Hans. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. You certainly have my attention! Reading over your review does not sound like you felt the warmth and genuine care that Hyatt Maui strives to give to every guest. From the moment you arrive at the door, to the day you check out - You should feel relaxed, serviced and pampered and anything less is unacceptable. I'm glad to read the staff you encountered exceed these expectation - and I thank you for letting us know about this. I will be reaching to you offline to gain more feedback so that we can ensure this is resolved immediately. Thank you for this opportunity to grow!
A hui hou!
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

With busy wedding plans, my husband took charge in planning our honeymoon. After a lot of research, he decided on the Hyatt. I couldn't have been more pleased with his decision. The resort is absolutely breath takingly gorgeous. Different species of birds share home to the resort as well including maccaws, flamingos, and my favorite, penguins! Different activities are offered for free such as water aerobics, penguin feeding, wildlife tour, poolside movie nights and more. Scuba lessons were also offered for $40. We didn't visit the spa but couples massages started at about $265 Oceanside. Overall a great place with great hospitality, clean rooms, and a beautiful view.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Kaitlin B
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
I am so happy you had a great honeymoon at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. Thank you for recommending the activities we provide for our guest and I love that you enjoyed the animals around the property. I hope you get the chance to stay with us again.

-John S, Guest Relations Associate
Portola Valley, California
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I arrived at the hotel and my room was not ready, so the front desk person gave us a room on the first floor. I told them I would try it, but if I did not like it, I would let them know. Well I did not like it, I like to sleep with the windows/slilding door ajar and hate using ac at night. So I requested a higher floor. I thought for the worse. Well to my surprise, the front desk person told me to have all my bags packed in the morning and to go on and enjoy my day. He said the bell man will take all my belongings to my new room when ready,and to pick up the keys from the front desk when I return. Well every thing was done as planned. No attitude and all smiles. I will definitely recommend the hyatt maui!! Also liked being at the beginning of the kaanapalli beach, so it was less busy on the beach.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience of the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa. I am so happy they were able to improve your experience with little hassle on your part. I hope you can stay with us again soon.

-John S, Guest Relations Associate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#13 of 32 in Lahaina
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!