“The best in Maui!”

Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
“The best in Maui!”
Reviewed May 8, 2004

hyatt is great! this was our first time and verything is just fabulous! buffet was delicious and staff were very friendly! it's a "pricy" hotel but very nice, especially the lobby------- it's to fie for! real hawaii! i would go back and stay again in a heart beat.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,345)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed April 24, 2004

The Hyatt is really starting to show its age. Had to call housekeeping 4 times to fix our safe and twice they never cleaned our room until 4:00PM. The maintence crew came in at 4:30 PM because he was roto routing all the rooms because there were clogs. The beach can't be evaluated because there is none. A big disappointment especially for our 14 yr old who was looking forward to boogie boarding or surfing. The grounds are beautiful but again are showing their age especially aroung the kiddie pool which is located next to the hot tub. The hot tub is an interesting experience especially when the 4-7 crew come in with their floaties. It's time to move on to another location in Maui because like fine wines it has past its prime. Aloha!

5 Thank garybob2015
Reviewed April 20, 2004

I just got back from six days at the Hyatt Regency Maui. The hotel offers a friendly helpful staff, beautiful grounds, loads of amenities and a great pool. I was impressed with the service and cleanliness of the rooms, grounds and pool. The pool and hot tub are open 24 hours. The hotel even has a Hertz desk onsite. The great thing about this hotel is that it is in walking distance of an outdoor mall. I enjoyed my stay here the only drawback was the beach which ( as other reviewers pointed out) is not as nice as if you stayed further down the beach. In front of the Hyatt the beach is rocky and the water is brown but if you like to walk along the beach like I do you can find blue water and wider beach in front of the Westin. If you have never been to a Luau go to the one at the Hyatt but its not something I would do twice. The night I went to the Luau it was a beautiful warm night but the previous night it poured. As one reviewer pointed out the Hyatt will continue with the Luau even if it rains. From my room I could see people sitting in raincoats in the pouring rain (not a drizzle) the night before and I know they had to be miserable. I had read lots of reviews prior to picking the Hyatt and I was still torn between the Hyatt and the Grand Wailea so I paid for one night stay there as well. I can tell you there is no comparison to the Hyatt when it comes to staff and service. The Grand Wailea is grand and the rooms and bathrooms are nicer but the pool water was murky and the lounge chairs need cleaning and the food was more expensive than the Hyatt which was pretty expensive. I prefer the Hyatt. I would stay at the Hyatt again or try the Westin next time which looked very nice.

• Stayed March 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed April 15, 2004

Overall the hotel is truly amazing. The grounds were exceptional from the exotic bird-filled atrium and pond to the free-form pool. The room was nice and comfortable. We upgraded to an ocean-view room for $50/night after one night, and it was worth it. It seems like they give you a better rate for these rooms once you are there versus booking it initially. Maid service was good and prompt to our needs. The restaurants looked nice, but we only ate at Swan Court for breakfast.
It was good but it is hard to justify a $65 breakfast (2 buffets, one mimosa, one bloody mary). Room service was good. We had pizza and a burger which was a nice change from all the fancied up food found on Maui. The beach is definitely poor. We are big beach people so that was a disappointment. But all the beaches on Maui are public so you can walk down a hundred yards or two to find a much better beach. Our biggest complaint was the kids. We were on our honeymoon and never found the casual and romantic ambience we were looking for, not at the Hyatt or Maui in general. Kids were everywhere and they were so loud!
Screams and cries filled the air. We are young and I am a pediatrician so I don't think we are really anti-kids, but it was just too much. We thought we were lucky one night when we found the neat hot tub empty but never fear...3 school-age kids and 2 pre-teens found us in no time.
That was pretty typical of everywhere we went especially the Hyatt. I'm told it was because it was Spring Break, pre-Easter, but we won't risk it by staying there again. I wanted a resort with full amenities for the honeymoon, but next time we'll priobably look into a condo. If it were adults only, we would definitely return to the Hyatt...otherwise we'll look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2004
2 Thank laurawaunt
Reviewed April 14, 2004

I was surprised by the glowing reviews of the Hyatt. Maybe it was because we had just come from 5 nights at the Halekulani in Honolulu, which was an unbelieveable experience.Pluses: Beautiful landscaping, above average service, nice luau, fun pool, decent to good restaurants, UNBELIEVEABLE beds!!! (I'm seriously considering ordering one.)Minuses: Very small balconies, spacious but dated rooms, small shower and bathroom (we're used to having a big jacuzzi tub and seperate shower at most hotels in a deluxe ocean-front room), no beach to speak of, the pool bar was closed for most of our visit, no fun bars where you can smoke (even the outdoor ones--which should actually be a plus for a lot of people).I think this place is good for families, but wouldn't stay here again personally. We're bummed that we didn't go to the Four Seasons or Grand Wailea. Still enjoyed Maui tremendously--what heaven on earth!!!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 6, 2004

After a long courtship, my sweetie and I decided to get married in Hawaii. I had no idea where to begin to plan a wedding 3,000 miles away. Everything was SO simple and my expectations were well-exceeded!
It was PERFECT! They upgraded our room, provided little gifts for us throughout our stay and the ceremony was held on a perfectly manicured lawn. We could not have asked for anything better! Our wedding planner was excellent (Thanks Laura!), the grounds were immaculate, the staff was friendly and (most importantly) the sushi was terrific! My husband and I love to travel and make it a point to travel to different places, but we will surely be back to the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 31, 2004

We stayed at the Hyatt for 7 nights from February 29 - March 7. We arrived late in the evening, and got our room. We paid for a deluxe ocean view, and were given a corner room, which was a little annoying, but it turned out nice because we had a good view of everything, and a very large balcony. The valet service was outstanding, and the staff was generally friendly. There were never enough people at the check in desk though. We had the breakfast buffet included in our stay. That was nice, but no way was it worth the $21.95 per person that it would have otherwise been. It was very good, but service was very slow. The luau was okay, but overpriced. The show was excellent, but the buffet dinner left much to be desired. It was average at best. The pool is fantastic, and there are plenty of lounge chairs that you can have as public or as private of a spot. The walkway to the other hotels and Whalers Village is great, and with the Hyatt at the end, there is not a lot of traffic on the Hyatt section. While the beach is terrible in front of the Hyatt, it opens up just a little past into one of the greatest beaches.
Whalers Village has some great shops and restaurants - be sure to try the Hula Grill. The grounds at the Hyatt are great - the live animals and birds add a lot to the ambiance, and live music in the lobby in the early evening was a nice touch. Be careful though, as you can charge meals, drinks, gifts, etc. to your room. The $15/day resort fee seems ridiculous, since it basically pays for you to get a newspaper, but you have no choice but to pay. Add $10/day for valet parking, and all your expenses, and your credit card will get a workout. Be prepared. All told, the Hyatt lived up to our expectations, and helped make our Maui vacation one we will not forget for a long time. Its expensive, but it is a great place to stay to be part of everything, yet alone at the same time. Even though the hotel was full when we were there, the spacious grounds and interior made it feel like it wasn't.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#19 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!