“Great family trip!”

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We traveled the first week of June 2013. My husband and I had stayed at the Sheraton at Black Rock 5 years prior, and this was our children's first trip. They are 6 and 9. We chose the Hyatt for it's larger rooms than the Sheraton, and the king/sleeper queen arrangement. We booked a package through Costco and upgraded to the club level. This was absolutely worth it for our family. First, it gave us an ocean front room on the top floor (away from the new building construction), second it supplied almost all of our food and drinks for the trip. We had breakfast for 2 included at Swan Court also. Most days, my son and I would go down for breakfast (we are the bigger breakfast eaters) and my husband and daughter would eat in the club room. Breakfast was really not necessary with the club room, but we took advantage of it since it was included. We had plenty of drinks available and snacks during the day, which you are welcome to take back to the room. Appetizers was often enough for dinner, and their desserts were amazing. Karen and Nani were the best! We arrived just after appetizers were put away the first night. We hadn't had dinner yet, and had just checked in. They brought us all kinds of snacks, including the chocolate banana bread, which my daughter loved! Everyone in the club room was great, but these two ladies went out of the way to make us feel pampered, and even sent us off with a nice package of snacks for the airplane.

The view from our room was perfect, and we watched the sunset from our balcony every evening. The birds in the atrium were fun for everyone. We took the bird tour with Sharon and got to know the tricks of each bird. We got Luna to play 'peek-a-boo' several times, and saw Niko try to go for a walk. The grounds are beautiful.

The pool is very large and has something for everyone. We all enjoyed the slide, and I was surprised that it wasn't crowded. Maybe it was the week we were there, but I never had trouble finding lounge chairs where and when I wanted one. They were working on the tile around the larger pool, but they restricted their work and it wasn't bad. The staff there was excellent as well. They even found me in line for the slide when I had reported my sunglasses lost to tell me they were at the pool desk. Very responsive.

The beach in front if narrow with a lot of rocks/coral, etc. We did snorkel off there one day. A very short walk takes you to any beach activity you want, so it's no big deal. Nice swimming beaches near the Marriot next door, a little farther had a good boogie boarding spot, and we hiked to Black Rock twice to snorkel. It's a little bit of a long walk with 2 kids and all the gear, but it was worth it. That had the best snorkeling and the sea turtles we saw.

We had no trouble parking as many people report, and didn't mind the walk from the parking lot.

My only reason it's 4 instead of a 5 is the last full day we were there, which was a Saturday. We woke up to not just the tile work at the pool, but they were power washing the rocks and a huge black cloud of dirt could be seen in the pool. It was noisy and made the pool dirty. Then we walked out of our door to scaffolding and plastic being hung in the atrium for washing/painting. It was a really breezy day, the plastic was flying all over, and we had power washing noise on both side of our hotel room. Luckily, this was the last day, and they seemed to only work in the mornings.

Overall, we had a great family vacation. The Hyatt is perfect for kids, yet I never felt over-run by children, even when I was at the kid's pool. I would definitely return, and would highly recommend the club level. However, be cautious about construction, it seems to be a constant here.

Room Tip: The club rooms give you the 21st or 22nd floor of the atrium tower. These are the highest, and are...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your Club room and ocean view so thoroughly. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the many food and beverage offerings of the Club lounge and that Karen and Nani were able to go above and beyond to help you. I am thrilled that you were able to take advantage of our expansive pools and never had trouble finding lounge chairs. I’m glad you were able to see the sea turtles while snorkeling at Black Rock; that really is an incredible experience. I hope we can welcome you back to our hotel again on your next trip to Hawaii.

Abrea H – A Guest Services Associate

Write a ReviewReviews (6,658)

Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights and had a very nice time. The pool, beach, shops, and restaurants were all wonderful. We had a great view of the ocean and pool from our 8th floor room. I didn't have many requests, but anytime I did, I called the front desk and they very quickly took care of my requests. Dinner at Son'z is a must...ask for a table by the pond to watch the swans!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Beware the Napili Tower. We arrived very late last night and checked into Room 423, where we will be staying for a week. It was dark and quiet on the hotel grounds -- just what we were hoping for from this trip. Our stay in Waikiki last year was really great but we had hoped for something slightly more subdued this time around. Cue rude awakening at 7am when we woke to the sounds of metal on metal, a chain saw steps away from our room, and excavators at work. The sound is unrelenting and headache-inducing. When we gave up on sleeping in and went to speak to the front desk, we were told the construction was the reason the Hyatt was able to offer this deal. Silly me, I thought we just lucked out on finding a great deal because the Hyatt was trying to fill unbooked rooms. Our booking was made through Expedia, who did not provide a reason for the low price, nor a warning that we should expect this type of chaos. I feel that the Hyatt has responsibility not only to its guests who book through the Hyatt website, but also to guests who book through third-party booking websites to fully and clearly disclose all information that might be relevant. I would have preferred to book a 3 star hotel down the street and sleep in during our long-awaited and highly anticipated vacation instead of being subjected to this horrific noise and view in a 4 star hotel. We were told that the only other available rooms were ocean front and would require at least an extra $100 per night. This information should be in plain view on the front page of the Hyatt website, and not tucked away in a vague description of a specific room. It should also be disclosed by Expedia. What a disappointment. I sincerely hope we will be able to enjoy this trip despite the headaches and lack of sleep.

On the plus side: We've had very pleasant dealings with all of the friendly staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Leesha26
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The hotel is beautiful with a huge open air lobby. That lobby is the host to a funny group of penguins and talking birds. The room is very comfortable and if you see the construction from your window, your vacation won't be ruined-you're at the Hyatt in Maui!
Seeing the construction means you're getting. Better price, anyway.
Hope you have breakfast included.... It is expensive but fabulous. You can't think of anything that was left off the breakfast buffet. THE ONLY PROBLEM is that people mark their pool chairs with towels by 6 am and it's really annoying. The hotel says they make a sweep of the area, but I never saw them remove any towels. There is very little shade to be had. Overall, beside the towel problem ( and don't laugh...it's real!) I would go back.

• Stayed: August 2013
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Hi CAREN617,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your most recent stay with us at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa. We are so happy your experience at our hotel was overall a great stay and thrilled you enjoyed our beautiful location and dining experiences. We will be glad to share your feedback of the towel situation at our pool to our executive management to ensure future guests do not experience the same challenge you have described.

Safe Travels,

Drew D.- Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We began our Maui trip at the Westin. After 1 night in a very old, dated, moldy suite, we came down to see if our party of 11 (4 rooms) could possibly move to the Hyatt. They didn't have a suite available for us, but we did get 4 ocean-front rooms that we thoroughly enjoyed (compared to the Westin). My family of 4 had stayed here 4 years ago in connecting rooms on the concierge level (which we loved). Our large group didn't do that, but we did get breakfast included daily, and it was wonderful!! A big THANK YOU to Sean and Jackie at check-in who worked hard to get us all in and sorted out. We were here celebrating my in-laws' 50th anniversary, and the Hyatt truly helped fix the problems caused by the Westin. Just FYI - if you're staying a long time, they do have washers/dryers.
Yes, there is construction going on here (as at Westin), so just be specific on which building you will be in. Yes, it can be hard to get a chair by the pool, but that's how it is at almost any resort similar to this (especially in Hawaii). We had problems with this at the Westin and at the Hilton on Oahu.
We ate at all of the restaurants here and loved them. We didn't do the Hyatt's luau (we did do the one at the Sheraton though, and loved it).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank SherriLR
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Aloha SherriLR,

Thank you for going out of your way to provide feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your time with your family. Sean and Jackie will be recognized for the wonderful service you experienced. Hyatt takes great pride with comments such as yours. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back for many more family Anniversary celebrations.

Mahalo!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I have had two WONDERFUL, AMAZING stays at the Hyatt Regency in Maui. I wouldn't recommend any other place to stay for the type of people like ourselves that love luxury, but are young adults (27 & 31, no kids) and appreciate an experience that makes us feel welcome.

Room:
Our room was a partial ocean view. It is mostly of the parking lot, but the palms cover it and you can still see the ocean. It was a free upgrade included in our package. If you are the type that is active and loves to be outside, your trip will not be ruined by saving and purchasing a regular view room. Rooms are super clean, with a small walk in closet with drawers and shelves, kimono robes, the most comfortable beds we've ever slept on (even compared to home) and the pillows are perfect. Rooms are quiet too. We never heard our neighbors.

Pool:
The pool is so huge and water is perfect temp. The chairs in the front row near the edge of the pool fill up in the morning, but we always seemed to find one nearby. There is a grotto you can reach by swimming under a waterfall. There is a bar inside and if you continue to swim through you can walk up a stair case and slide back down a water slide into the pool. The kids pool is separated by the faux rocks which keeps it more mellow. You can get beach towels and complimentary ice cold water at the pool. They have waitresses that take your order and bring you food or drinks right to your poolside seat!

Beach:
One of the best beaches in Maui! Water is pretty calm and is at most times safe and easy for kids and inexperienced swimmers to take a dip. You can Snorkel here and if you swim to the left of the Hyatt near the rocks you can see sea turtles, fish, coral and we even saw a small octopus! The beach is great for SUPing and boogie boarding too. All the rentals you need are nearby!

Service:
Always a pleasure to check in or out. We asked to check out one hour later and they were genuinely happy to do it for us! Room service is a team of ninjas! We never saw them, but our room was always clean and towels were always replenished! We also really loved the toiletries that were in the bathroom. They smelled great and worked well. My husband says the staff are kinda like Disneyland staff where they never break character and always show genuine Aloha spirit!

Resort restaurants:
We had the buffet breakfast as part of our package and it is so amazing! Hot waffles, miso soup, muffins, fresh fruit, POG, made to order omelets, cereal, pastries, and other things. So good and so nice to wake up to breakfast in an open air restaurant with views of a pond and waterfall. BY FAR our favorite part of staying at the Hyatt. Umalu by the pool has great drinks and smoothies. The food is good and at night they have music and it's so romantic. Another great way to save money and have the trip of your dreams is to skip the fancy private dinner on the beach and eat there with your toes in the sand and live ukelele music playing.

Luau:
The Hyatt's luau, Drums of The Pacific, has amazing delicious food! I've been to many luaus and the food is never up to what the Hyatt offers! The show is great and many Op's for photos. We upgraded our tickets and were in the front row with free drinks :) Happy husband with free beers is priceless. And easy to walk back to your room!

Details:
Parking is not free and is not included in the resort fee. Be prepared for that at checkout. Parking can be difficult late in the evening, but we only had an issue one night (in two weeks) and just parked valet instead.

Location:
Get a car with your package so you can drive to old Lahaina town and enjoy a nice historical night life during your trip. It's only about 10 minutes away. Also nearby is the whalers village. You can shop boutiques to high end retailers and have lunch. The Hyatt is about 40 minutes from the airport, but it's a beautiful ride and main location.

Long review, but I wanted to share all the details you need to plan your trip!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Nicole_Serna
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you for taking time to provide such extensive feedback on your stays. I am delighted to hear that you found your room to be so clean, comfortable and quiet. I am thrilled that you were able to take advantage of our oversized pool, as well as the grotto and pool bar. It is fantastic that you were able to see sea turtles and even an octopus while snorkeling. I’m glad that the service you received was so friendly, helpful, and consistently exceeded your expectations. The breakfast buffet in Swan Court is a wonderful way to start the day and I’m pleased to hear you were able to enjoy this as part of your package. We often hear enthusiastic feedback about our Drums of the Pacific luau and I’m delighted to hear that you were able to take part in this and enjoyed it so thoroughly. We will look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again on your next trip to Hawaii.

Abrea H – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is part of a continuing series of my impressions and experiences staying at various hotels and resorts while traveling to attend concerts worldwide. This stay was during my recent trip to Hawaii (Oahu and Maui) in July/August 2013. This review is for the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa in Lahaina, Maui in Hawaii.

Property: Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa
Location: Lahaina, Maui (Hawaii)
Phone: (808) 661-1234
Website: www.maui.hyatt.com
Room Type/Class: 2 Nights (South Tower/Lahaina Tower Rooms - Mountain View/Partial Ocean - Room #478), 3 Nights (Center Tower/Atrium Tower Rooms - Ocean Front - Room #1518)
Date: July 31-August 5
TripAdvisor Page/Reviews: LINK
Booking Source: Hotwire (1 night) and Booking.com (4 nights)
Overall Rating: 4/5 [Note: Score is totally subjective based on price, location, and comparison to "like" properties within same area and price range]

I have stayed in Maui many times, and this is my second stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, where I stayed one night last year (I did a series of seven Hawaii resort stays over seven nights in 2012).

The resort offers both valet and self-park options, and since it is one of the ones where self-parking is pretty convenient, I opted to go that route.

Currently and well into the future, there is a huge construction project going on in the open space between the Hyatt Regency and Marriott's Maui Ocean Club at the north part of the property. Under construction is the Hyatt Residence Club Ka'anapali Beach, a new timeshare project. It is the size and scope of another full, single building resort, intended to be a timeshare as I understand it.

You can't miss this project, as it is quite obvious walking or driving up to the front of the resort. There is a chain link fence running all along the front of this project, with vinyl over the fencing with faux plants over it. But there is no mistaking the project, as there is a giant crane at work nearly all the time, which can literally be seen from miles and miles away on other parts of the island, and there is the requisite construction noise as well, though that is limited to the rooms facing the construction with both the Hyatt (North Tower/Napili Tower Rooms) and the Marriott (a friend of mine happened to be staying at the Marriott at the same time and sent me a noisy video of her view from her room at that adjacent property).

I would like to underscore that the Napili Tower rooms facing the construction are overlooking a full construction zone with the giant crane, bulldozers, dump trucks, graders, and a lot of noise (beep, beep, beep, and scraping/pounding), starting at about 7:00 am. I would NOT recommend a stay in these rooms really for any price. Just my opinion. But apart from seeing all this driving up or walking up to the property, you are pretty isolated from it in and around the rest of the property.

As was true with my part experience, the staff at the Hyatt were top notch - friendly and professional. Check-in was smooth and easy, and though I was originally slotted to be in a room in the North Tower/Napili (facing the construction), they moved me to the South Tower at the opposite end of the property without having to ask.

I did take note of different construction-related activity at the front end of my stay, and relayed this feedback to one of my contacts in their PR department, and every issue I pointed out with them was immediately rectified and never encountered again during my stay, so they are very responsive to feedback and super appreciative for pointing things out that might improve the stay of their guests, so big kudos for that.

The resort features an open center with the rooms circling around, going up many floors, so the hallways are all open and on the interior side of the building, and therefore all room windows point out (with view varying depending on which side of the building you are staying in). In my photos below is a site map/property map to give a better idea of the layout, as well as the accompanying photos.

I did end up staying at two different rooms, the first in the South Tower/Lahaina Tower. This room was facing south, at the eastern side of the building, overlooking the nightly luau (Room #478).

The room was very nice... large, comfortable, fairly up to date (for Maui), with a nice partial ocean view from the well-sized lanai. Overall, it was nice, comfortable, and clean.

Some of the in-room amenities included a desk, two mini fridges (in my prior stay they would stock one with a pay per use feature, which is now gone), and a digital safe deep enough to accommodate a large laptop (17" screen) as well as many cameras and camera lenses I brought on my trip, which is amazing. It is the largest in-room digital safe I've ever found in all of my travels.

The resort itself is very nice, with some great ocean views, multiple restaurants, and a huge, sprawling pool.

In addition to parrots that they bring out throughout the day, there is also a family of resident penguins, which were really neat to watch. They have little huts to sleep in, and also go swimming in their pond. Further down the property, closer to the beach, are some beautiful swans.

One of the resorts in Ka'anapali that I've stayed out multiple times is the Sheraton Maui Resort and Spa. One big difference between the two properties is the beach area. The Sheraton is famous for Black Rock and snorkeling, and has a huge beach area. Conversely, the Hyatt has a very short the beach area, with not too much beach/sand between the sidewalk running across the back and the waves of the ocean hitting the beach. One benefit is that it is usually sparsely populated or empty, so you can enjoy some solitude. I did spot several big sea turtles while hanging out on the beach.

Their Umalu outdoor eating area is excellent for lunch/sandwich type fare.

I had an opportunity to eat at their high end Japengo one of the nights, which was fantastic and highly recommended. One of the big benefits of visiting Maui are all of the fabulous eating options throughout the island, so one might not consider trying one of the resort-based restaurants, but this one was really good. The service and food was excellent, and they have a great menu with a lot of options. There is also a nice view closer to the beach, and timed right you can enjoy one of the amazing Maui sunsets.

I did not attend the "Drums of the Pacific Luau", though I kind of feel like I did, as my first room was overlooking the event each night, which appeared to be sold out every night with maybe hundreds of people, which is quite impressive. I've never been much of a luau person, so my opinion is sort of made up without seeing one, but if you have one of those adjacent rooms, there is no escaping the sound, up until about 8:40 PM each night. Some might see it as a tremendous bonus, as you can sit and enjoy for free from your balcony.

I did have an opportunity to experience their on-site "Tour of the Stars", which was awesome. This is something that takes place on the rooftop of the one of the towers. You can reserve one of three times each night (8:00, 9:00, and a special Romance Tour of the Stars at 10:00). Their Director of Astronomy, Edward J Mahoney, M.S., is as fun as he is knowledgeable. Our small group made our way out to the platform on the roof, and even without the telescopes it is a magnificent opportunity to see the beautiful Maui skies unobstructed. He has three telescopes set up and literally gives you a tour of the sky, bringing up a number of objects in the sky. It's definitely worth checking out if you can fit it into your schedule.

The last three nights I stayed in one of the ocean front Atrium Tower Rooms (Room #1518), which has one of the best views I've seen on all of the Hawaiian islands. The room itself was quite similar to the room in the Lahaina Tower room, apart from the view. I took many photos, and will let them speak for themselves. But there is definitely a view premium that I feel warrants the price difference of the rooms, if you can budget it.

As with most resorts in Maui, there is a resort fee - with this property, it was $25 on top of the rate accessed for the room itself.

All in all I had a very nice stay. For me, staying at resorts on Maui, I place a higher priority on the beach area, as opposed to pool area. But if you are more pool/poolside-oriented and/or you have a family, I would recommend the Hyatt. It is also a convenient walk to Whaler's Village, which is nice (and I believe that they have shuttle accommodations as well).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Rock-Subculture
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!