I treated my retired father to a trip to Maui and could only think of one place in Lahaina that could satisfy both of our needs, and the Hyatt came through with flying colors. You really do get what you pay for when it comes to locations like Maui, especially Kaanapali Beach.
Lets start with the potential disaster which was check-in. When we pulled up there were over 200 people in a line to check in, and AA flight to the mainland had just cancelled, so you can imagine what was in store. Luckily patience is a virtue that I have, and it was rewarded. I'm sorry that I don't remember the check in ladies name, but she was fantastic, I hope she is attending the desk the next time I go to the Hyatt. With the rush there was not a room immediately ready, since they had to call housekeeping in to get more rooms ready. We had no problem with that since it was dinner time so we returned two hours later. Because we didn't complain and throw a fit like most would we were rewarded upon our return with an upgraded room and some extras, which really came in handy.
The Resort: We actually stayed at the beginning of April and the Hyatt had just started to build a time share building to the North of the property, so beware, if you sleep late, you're not going to have much luck, they make a lot of noise. Otherwise the resort is fantastic. A huge pool which rivals any in the islands. When it is busy it is nearly impossible to find a spot to lay down though, the staff does not do a good job of getting rid of towels that people leave to reserve their spot all day. This needs to be addressed since there is a really small strip of beach in front of the hotel to lay on. A spa is available, although we did not use. Several restaurants that serve your needs. Only ate at the breakfast buffet (which was as to be expected in hawaii, all the usual items) and the beach was fantastic, a great happy hour too, and several hilarious bartenders that kept us entertained. Penguins and parrots to entertain as well, who knew.
The Room: Fits in with the Hyatt Regency brand very well. Updated within a reasonable amount of time. A walk in closet with a safe. Beds were comfy. The usual mini bar and fridge. A separate tub and toilet room which makes it easy to get ready in the morning.
The Bad: The hotel is under some renovation but doesn't get in the way much. The building to the north is only annoying if you want to sleep late or take a nap in the middle of the day. The parking fees are out of control in addition to all the resort fees that they tack on, ugh, an extra $40 poof. Really far from Haleakala and Hana if those trips interest you during your stay.
Overall you get a good room, at a beautiful resort for a fair price considering where you are. This hotel does pop up on Hotwire and Priceline very often if you're hoping for a better deal it might be worth the chance. I wish I could give it a 4 1/2 but you know tripadvisor and their rules. I would not hesitate to go to the Hyatt when in Maui again. Thanks again for the great service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on 40 oceanfront acres on Ka'anapali Beach, this AAA 4-Diamond award-winning resort is an authentic Hawaiian experience set in tropical paradise. Each of 806 guestrooms, including 31 renovated suites, affords Hawaiian elegance with private lanais and panoramic views. Amenities include oceanfront spa, 24-hour athletic club, half-acre pool with waterfalls and slides, golf, and tennis. Activities include Drums of the Pacific Lu'au, Tour of the Stars rooftop stargazing, cultural lessons, water sports, shopping on property and nearby, and wildlife tours with penguins, flamingos and more. World-class dining at Japengo, 'Umalu, Swan Court and Son’z—emphasize using locally grown ingredients to provide unique cuisine to suit every palate. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Maui Hotel Lahaina
- Hyatt Lahaina
- Hyatt Regency Maui Resort Spa
- Hyatt Regency Lahaina
- Hyatt Regency Maui Resort And Spa Lahaina