“Mix of good and mediocre...”

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton
“Mix of good and mediocre...”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

It was an interesting experience in Maui. Was there for a conference but booked a night prior to joining my colleague in the conference rooms. The suite I was in first was unbelievable - renovated, spacious, beautiful part ocean view... Which probably made the dingy rundown conference room right over the nightly luau area seem worse thank it was. Yes we were there at a conference rate but it was only $100 more for the nice suite. Overall I agree with other reviewers ie. nice pools, good service, great location. I'm not savvy enough to get comped for upgrades/changing rooms but if you are it's definitely a fine place to stay especially if you gt a good rate. Hyatt upgrade *all* those rooms as others have also mentioned and you'll become a favourite return stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PrairiegirlEdmonton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,332)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2013

If Hawaii is Paradise, the Hyatt Regency is the Garden of Eden! What a beautiful hotel this is! I can't say enough about it. On my first trip to Hawaii I was absolutely blown away. Loved all of the "wildlife" - parrots, penguins, flamingos, swans, with flowers and waterfalls everywhere you look. Breakfast in Swanz Court was out of this world. So much to choose from and all of it hot and cooked to perfection. The staff was phenomenal as well. I was so impressed that they always called you by name no matter where in the hotel you were. It makes one feel so at home.
My ocean-view room was also very nice and quiet. No issues with the air conditioning...you didn't really need it at night with the cool air off the ocean.
I wished I had brought my granddaughters with me though, they would have loved the marvellous kids' play area and pool. There is absolutely nothing that I can think of that was less than perfection at this hotel. Thank you to the Hyatt Regency for making my first stay in Maui so memorable!

Room Tip: I stayed in the wing that was furthest away from the Luau area, so it was much quieter. If I stayed...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank bml27
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay so thoroughly. I am glad you enjoyed all of the wildlife, as well as the landscaping and water features which are located throughout our hotel grounds. I am thrilled to hear you were able to take advantage of the breakfast buffet at Swan Court and that you found the selection and quality of dishes to be exceptional. I am delighted that the staff was able to make you feel so welcomed. I hope that we can welcome you back to our hotel again soon and make your second trip to Maui as memorable as the first.

Abrea H – A Guest Relations Associate
Auckland
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife helped organise a first-time prestigious medical conference at this hotel and so the Hyatt offered a conference rate too good not to take but in hindsight...
I checked out the Westin but for my wife's sake we decided to stay at the Hyatt. It looked good enough on the photos and most Tripadvisors had rated it 5 stars. I couldn't disagree more.
Disclaimer: we had just spent 4 nights at the Halekulani, which is beyond reproach, so our expectations were a bit skewed. Also, we don't have children so when we travel we have different options.
Anyway, here goes...
As with most hotels of this kind most money was spent on public areas. Grand entrance, pool, grass, etc. The rooms? Different story. Shabby, 70's, third rate. The bathroom felt like a dungeon with minimal light and shower that spluttered and stuttered into action and took so long to warm up -not heat up, no, no, warm up- you had time to iron clothes. A noisy airco, which kept you up at night. Friends of us staying at the same hotel informed us they kept it running all day and than switched it off at night. Good tip.
My biggest annoyance? Our room in the Lahaina wing overlooked the courtyard where every evening from 5-8 about 300 people gathered for their all-you-can-eat luau buffet and show. The show was all song and dance, which is nice if you're attending, but a nuisance if you want to have some peace and quiet before heading out again. And it's every night!
The other wing overlooked a building site!
From either wing it takes a long time to get to the amenities so your best rooms are actually in the atrium part.
Now, here's the important bit. Whilst this was not for us, I utterly see why a family would holiday here: it's relative cheap, the kids have stuff to do, price wise it's hard to beat. For families, I'd rate it 5 star. For childless couples: find somewhere else. I didn't spend any time at the pool because it just didn't seem relaxing.
The food in the restaurants is good but not exceptional but there's plenty of choice within 15 minutes walk.
Overall I wouldn't stay here again but for my friends with kids I would wholeheartedly recommend it.

Room Tip: Do not stay in either wing. Instead ask for an atrium room. Perhaps not the best view but they'l...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank RvanD
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 14, 2013

First time to maui was made magical by this hotel. An open air lobby with parrots and penguins, an oceanside garden filled with more wildlife, a water fun park with a watersilde, kiddy pool and poolside bar.....we couldn't have wanted for more!
The resort was buit in the mid 80s and having a touchup at the time of our stay but it was perfectly managed to keep noise or unsightliness hidden...wouldnt even know anything was happening. Great rooms, not that we stayed there much.
Breakfast buffet was more than anyone could ask for with swans and ducks and parrots to entertain us...really!?
If there was anything that perhaps was missing, it was that the beach right in front of us wasn't perfect....we walked up 5 mins to make sure we didnt have to deal with rocks.
We walked to Whalers Village for dinner....easy and otherwise necer left the place in 5 days.
Will be back for sure

Room Tip: Mountain view is fine....get up beyond level 3 to get higher above the lower level roof
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank zacstar
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent vacation to Maui! It is always a pleasure to hear when our guests have a memorable experience. It sounds like you found the property to be well appointed and the service to be great. I am glad you found your room to be perfect and the breakfast buffet to be plentiful. I look forward to your return visit the next time your travel brings you back to Maui. Mahalo!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

What a lovely resort.

My daughter and I checked-out EVERY pool in Kaanapali and rated the Hyatt as the 2nd best pool (behind the Westin) but the rest of the property make the Hyatt #1.

Fun, clean, Aloha!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank TradeshowMagician
Aloha TradeshowMagician,

Thank you for taking a quick moment to share comments about your recent getaway to our resort. I am delighted to hear how much your family enjoyed relaxing as our guests. Your referral is greatly appreciated. It would be our pleasure to have another opportunity to welcome you back.

Mahalo,

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
New Orleans, la
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui. The construction is a bit distracting, especially what is going on in the pool. I would love to revisit the property once the construction is complete, as I am sure that it will be an even better stay. The location is great. The pool is excellent, very big. The slide was a great feature for the pool as well. The drinks served at the poolside bars were some of the best I had while in Hawaii. I definitely think it was a great value for the price. Very reasonable for the location. The lobby is lovely with the penguins and other birds there. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a room with an obstructed view because of the construction. We were able to get a great barga...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jenrs
Thank you for taking a moment to provide feedback in regards to your recent stay. Your comments regarding the service and amenities are greatly appreciated. It sounds like you really enjoyed the poolside drinks and the waterslide. Your recommendation is our biggest compliment. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I decided to get married in the Hyatt's Statue Gardens off the main lobby. We worked with two fantastic planners, Laura and Edie, and they made our dreams come true. We had an amazingly elegant and beautiful wedding on July 1! We couldn't have asked for anything more for our wedding. I highly recommend this spot!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andy P
Aloha Andy P,

Thank you for taking a quick moment to share comments about your recent wedding celebration with us. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your special day with us. Laura & Edie will be recognized for offering you such great service. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. I hope to welcome you back for Anniversary celebrations!

Mahalo,

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!