“Wonderful wedding in paradise!”

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Wonderful wedding in paradise!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I decided to get married in the Hyatt's Statue Gardens off the main lobby. We worked with two fantastic planners, Laura and Edie, and they made our dreams come true. We had an amazingly elegant and beautiful wedding on July 1! We couldn't have asked for anything more for our wedding. I highly recommend this spot!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andy P
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Aloha Andy P,

Thank you for taking a quick moment to share comments about your recent wedding celebration with us. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your special day with us. Laura & Edie will be recognized for offering you such great service. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. I hope to welcome you back for Anniversary celebrations!

Mahalo,

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,335)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband & I flew to Maui for the weekend. (we live on Oahu) We wanted to experience another island before moving back to the mainland next year. Maui was our top choice. Initially, we had plans to stay at the Grand Wailea, but due to my husband's military schedule we had to reschedule our trip. Once we re-booked the trip the Grand Wailea was no longer available. After much consideration we finally decided upon Hyatt Regency Maui as the place we would spend our weekend.

Checking in was an easy & very pleasant experience. The staff at this resort is absolutely fantastic. Smiling faces, very courteous, helpful, & just made our first impression of Hyatt Regency Maui a great one. They definitely went above & beyond as far as customer service is concerned.

The penguins in the lobby area of the resort are definitely a highlight of this place. I loved seeing them each day & watching them. Nobody expects to see penguins while in Maui! The resort also has several tropical birds hanging out in the lobby area in the morning.

As nice as the resort seems just from the first glance (both outside & inside the lobby) we weren't impressed with our room. We expected a bit more luxury considering how nice the rest of the place seems. It was just your typical run-of-the-mill hotel room. Nothing fancy or noteworthy about it. On top of that, we had no view whatsoever as there was a giant wall up. (due to construction going on, I believe)

We did enjoy the pool, but the water slide wasn't operating during our stay. That was disappointing as I was anticipating the use of that particular amenity. It just seems as though we didn't really get our money's worth for the two nights we were there. Sure, the penguins were awesome & the staff was awesome, but all the construction and lack of the water slide were a huge letdown. Had we known about this we definitely would have chosen elsewhere to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AlaskaLivs
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review. I am pleased you found the staff to be spectacular. It sounds like you really enjoyed the penguins and exotic wildlife at the resort. I apologize the lava tube was not operating during your stay. Your feedback is very important as we use this to improve our overall guest satisfaction. I appreciate you choosing to spend your visit to Maui at our resort. I hope we can welcome you back to Hyatt in the future!

Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is certainly a luxury resort but rather high end for my taste. There was a tendency for it to be self contained and a visitor could miss the more interesting aspects of Maui. I did take advantage of the exercise room and one run on the lava tube water slide. The pool areas seemed congested and we heard the Luau from our room but were not tempted to attend. The beach close by was eroded.

1 Thank StepheM9886
I appreciate that you took the time to provide feedback in regards to your recent stay at our resort. I am pleased you were able to enjoy the Hyatt Stayfit Fitness Center and the lava tube waterslide. Thank you for choosing to spend your vacation at Hyatt Regency Maui. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the future!

Throop, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My family and I went on a 10 day trip to Hawaii. It was my first time visiting Hawaii and I loved every minute of it. I've separated the experience at this hotel into a few different sections. If you don't feel like reading a long and informative review then maybe you should skip ahead to the next one.

Remodel: Everyone has been talking about the remodel going on here but honestly it's not a big deal. They're making changes to better the hotel to benefit their customers, what's wrong with that? If it just so happens that it is going on while you're staying there try and make the necessary arrangements to be placed in the Lahaina Tower AWAY from the construction zone. We had read about this construction issue on this site and made all fo the necessary requests to be placed as far away as possible from the construction and didn't hear a peep. The only problem we ran into was when they were taking care of something at the pool to make it SAFER for people to swim in the pool area. There was some jack hammering during the day at the pool but it wasn't often and you could hardly notice with the waterfall running and awesome music playing. Plus there is plenty of other things to do like see the beautiful view of the ocean! But if you were thinking of switching hotels, don't! Just ask for a room in the Lahaina tower before you arrive. This is a beautiful property that certainly needs to be seen and visited. Just ask to stay away from the noise.

Front Desk: First of all the people at the front desk were awesome and very straight forward. We arrived and the women who greeted us gave us fresh water and leis. They had a bellman take my parents bags and showed them around the resort quickly as they walked through the grounds to get to the lahaina tower (it's a bit further away from the main building but totally worth it.) My husband and I carried our own bags and got to our room Very quickly. I was surprised at how spacious it was! Anyhow, back to the front desk. They always are there to assist you no matter what time of day it is.

Food: The restaurants at this hotel are a bit pricey so if you're trying to save some money try not to eat here very often because a burger, fries and soft drink at the Umalu restaurant will run you about $50.

I honestly suggest taking a taxi or bus to the Safeway (which is about a 3 minute drive from the hotel) or take your rental car. You will spend some money there but it's totally worth it in the end. We bought makings for sandwiches, some alcohol, breakfast items, the alcohol at the hotel again is expensive so make a drink up in your room and enjoy it :)

We usually ate out for dinner since we were only there for about 4 days (the rest of the trip was spent in Waikiki.) And after eating out you usually have plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day. The only other place we ate at was the bar at the pool (the other restaurants looked lovely but we found other places with excellent food and even better prices.) There is a coffee shop in the main building of the hotel next to the family of penguins that serves starbucks coffee and they are always happy to serve you with whatever needs you may have in a morning coffee drink. There is also a starbucks a short walk away towards the Whalers Village.

Speaking of Whalers Village the restaurants there are awesome. I suggest trying Maui Fish and Pasta. My family, husband and I went there on our last night in Lahaina and the dinner was excellent. SO was the dessert. My husband and I shared a whole bunch of small plates and they were more than filling. We got the wings, sushi and a salad. all were excellent. The desserts here are great, we were celebrating fathers day and my husbands birthday so it was a nice little treat for us all to share different plates with one another. Each person got a different dessert. The other restaurant I would suggest is Leilanis. If you sit outside in the Beachside grill (which I don't see why you wouldn't want to, the sunset view here is amazing) you will pay significantly less than the indoor restaurant but the food is just as good. I had the Chicken Cashew Stir fry and it was AWESOME! My husband had a burger and he enjoyed it greatly! I believe we shared a caesar salad and it was more than enough for two people to share. There are also plenty of smaller restaurants to choose from in the food court at Whalers Village. Things like: Subway, Pizza Hut etc. if you want a casual quick meal.

We did not however enjoy any meals in Lahaina but I've heard great things about the restaurants in town. So next time I visit I will be sure to spend more time in Lahaina town center.

Beach: The beach here was great! The only problem is that it's a little skinny piece of beach lol. You can move further down either right or left fo the hotel and it widens out without a problem. I read before we left that there was plenty of rock and coral pieces and they were not kidding. We bought water shoes and snorkel masks to take with us to hawaii and now I know why. People had suggested it on here and it was totally worth it. The water shoes really helped with the rock and coral, coral regularly is washing up on shore, one actually hit my ankle pretty hard and I started to bleed (it was a tiny cut... i'm just whining lol). I was so happy we brought our own snorkel gear because there were awesome little fishies to see swimming around extremely close to beach! And the coral and rock was awesome to see underwater as well. The waves were a bit rough on the beach but great swimming!

You absolutely must walk down to the Sheraton to see Black Rock. The locals and a few brave hearts (like my husband) were brave enough to jump off of the rock into the ocean. The locals were saying something about a shark warning on the news (my husband followed them up and he asked if they were just trying to scare him because he was a tourist but they said that it wasn't a joke and that it was on the news that a few were spotted nearby. It may be mating season and sharks I believe breed in shallow waters and caves. so just be careful and keep an eye out. most certainly do not be afraid to go into the water, there is so much to see!)
At this point I'm watching my husband get ready to jump into the water and I saw a fin come up and out of the water extremely close to me. I started backing out of the water as my mind started spinning with ideas that it was a shark! hahaha I was so wrong! As my husband came swimming back he told me the story and I told him mine and then we saw the fin again and realized it was a beautiful sea turtle that seems to be residing there. He was an awesome sight to see and I wish I could have gone back and swam with him and saw exactly what he looked like underwater with my snorkel gear. (you absolutely must keep an eye out for this guy, he's huge and an amazing swimmer!

Pool: The pool is huge! There is an awesome water slide that legitimately takes your breath away from how fast you head down it and hit the water. I'm a great swimmer and I still got water up my nose! It flipped me right around as I hit the water. Theres a really great bridge that goes over the kiddie area which is also really great for small ones. Theres plenty of things for them to get into and goof around on but totally 100% safe. The adult pool has a basketball net that we played a game of basketball with a group of people. It was so much fun! None of us new each other except for groups of 2. There's also a waterfall where there is a bar underneath in a grotto type area. There was hardly anyone there! I'm thinking maybe it was because of the renovation going on to make the waterfall and rocky area more safe.
Otherwise this is an awesome pool! I will advise you though do not sit next to a POOL if you want to read a book. There will be people jumping in and out goofy around splashing so when you get hit with a tiny amount of water don't make a face as if you weren't next to a giant swimming pool. There was a man reading and my husband jumped in and the man made this horrible face. I was thinking to myself please don't think like that because you're the one sitting right next to a giant wet thing. If you didn't want to get wet sit just one seat back. I'm totally a book reader at the pool but I'm not going to look at someone as if they had two heads because I got a little wet sitting next to a pool. If that was me I would have literally just sat myself further away knowing the possibility of getting wet. Especially if I had a kindle or ipad (i wouldn't risk it!) anyhow, that's it for my spiel. Sorry about that.

Room: Our room was in the Lahaina tower next to the elevators AND the ice room. I thought it would be loud but I didn't hear anything! We had two balconies because we were a corner room with a partial ocean view and a side view of the mountains and golf course across the way. If you want to get away from the renovation/construction area this tower is where you want to be. It's quiet and the only thing you may hear walking around is the Luau that goes on at night and is usually over by 9 or 10. It's also a short walk from the fitness center and spa. The room was extremely spacious! The only problem we had was that there wasn't enough space to put our clothes. There was a big closet but only a tiny area with drawers and a few hangers. I didn't mind but it would be a tiny problem i think if we stayed for longer than we did. The bathroom area with the shower and toilet was tiny and the door was situated in a way that you had to squeeze to one side to shut the door to use the area. the rest of the bathroom was expansive!

Sleep Quality: I slept extremely well here. The hallways are quiet and the rooms are perfectly air conditioned to get a great nights rest. The beds were AWESOME! The linens were cozy and the pillows were perfect. Great resting place. Also the in room robes are so adorable! I took a photo of my husband wearing his and it's so funny!

Cleanliness: This place was immaculate when we arrived. I was so shocked ! They are making improvements! Even with all of the animals (if you didn't know it this hotel is literally like a little reserve and sanctuary for animals!) There are penguins, cranes, koi fish, swan, ducks, lizards, and birds (and probably more that I didn't even see!) The first thing you see as you walk in is this giant space with birds flying around and open air space. (The one bird talks and he was so funny! We got him to say "okay bye!") The rooms are cleaned promptly every day.

Location: The location of this hotel was EXCELLENT! It's walking distance from Whalers Village. Or if you don't feel like walking you can take the complimentary trolly to whalers village where you can pick up the city bus, for $2 per person per trip or $4 for an all day pass, to Lahaina. You should absolutely visit Lahaina and see the Banyan tree! (The roots grow from it's limbs down into the ground from way high up!) Also the old Lahaina prison yard is really cool. and just the town is a great place to see. Again taking the bus is super easy to get around and cheaper than taking a taxi.

Activities: we had a great experience with the activities desk here! They are extremely helpful in helping you get around. Also the man that works at the car rental place told us that we'd save even more money if we called Enterprise (I wasn't supposed to tell anyone that he directed us to some other business but he was so honest and I really appreciated that.) We needed a car rental because the only real adventuring we did was drive the Road To Hana.... you absolutely need to do this! We thought about taking a guided tour but the tours were about $150 per person and there was 5 of us. So with the rental car we paid $120 for a Tahoe that had three rows of seating for the whole day! That's some serious savings! Either way however you decide to go about it you need to have this experience. It's an experience you will never forget. Over 600 hairpin turns and 50-60 one lane bridges. But first do your homework and decide on which stops you will make on the way around. We made major choices because my dad can't walk very well so we skipped the hiking parts but visited a few of the state parks and waterfalls. you should definitely see the black sand beaches, caves, and oheo gulch. We stopped at the Tedeschi winery on the way home (most people get to hana and turn around because some people consider the rest of the road a little dangerous.... which it wasn't so we decided to keep going and finish the adventure that way and it wasn't bad at all! I will advise you to talk to one of the park rangers and ask them if it's safe to travel the way we went towards tedeschi winery because some days it's safer than others, I think the wind and rain can cause some sight issues and some minor flooding, so just ask whether or not they would say its safe to pass or not at the entrance to the Oheo Gulch aka the seven sacred pools) Also, don't bother purchasing the app or the cd that guides you through the road to hana. you'll be too busy looking at all of the sites to listen. and if you're interested enough you can read about the place you visited :) thats what I did and I'm still amazed we got to see all of the sites we did. :) if you would prefer a more educational and informative journey then definitely purchase the cd or app, or just go on the guided tour.

Overall: this place was amazing! There is so much to do and I definitely feel like we didn't have enough time for everything. I wanted to Mount Haleakala (dormant volcano) but you can see it from afar as you're driving the road to hana. Maui is certainly what you imagine Hawaii to look like and the Hyatt Regency Maui will certainly give you that feeling as well. The hospitality here was great!

Room Tip: During the renovation period call ahead and put in a request for a room in the LAHAINA TOWER!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank leahdaniels
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for going out of your way to provide such extensive feedback on your recent trip. I am happy to hear that you found the front desk to be so friendly and ready to assist you throughout your stay. It is wonderful to hear that you were able to take advantage of our large pool. The waterslides and water basketball are quite popular with our guests and it is wonderful that you enjoyed these features, as well. I am glad that you found your room to be so quiet and enjoyed the breathtaking view from the lanai. We often hear enthusiastic feedback from our guests regarding the convenience of our close proximity to Whalers Village, as well as our shuttle service. I am delighted to hear that you also found this to be convenient. I hope that we can welcome you back to our hotel again in the future.

Chigwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed in the Hyatt Regency as the main part of our honeymoon for a week from 20th June. I was a little worried and almost considered changing hotel with the reviews on here, especially with the fact that we were coming all the way from London and have dreamed about it for so long, I am so glad I did not, we absolutely loved it. We'd just come from the bright lights of Las Vegas, and unlike our hotel there, the hotel was very full so there were not really any honeymooner free upgrades available which we did not mind with the location (although we did have to ask to change rooms initially as were given a room which basically had a wall and a roof directly in front of the balcony which was a little harsh) so we had a basic room with mountain and partial ocean view which was lovely (especially as you see some amazing rainbows over the mountains towards sunset). The rooms were spacious enough, very comfy bed and I liked the bathroom/changing area a lot.

We fell in love with Maui, and the Hyatt too, everyone was so friendly, the grounds were stunning from the waterfalls and ponds, to the Flamingos, Penguins, Cranes, Swans and Parrots. Wonderful cocktails, great good everywhere. We ait at Japengo, Umala (the pool bar), Swan Court (lovely breakfast) and Sonz at Swan Court, they were all lovely, Japengo I would go as far to say was the best meal of our entire honeymoon - the Mahi Mahi was amazing! It is all quite expensive, but that is clear in advance so you just need to budget for it, Whalers Village and Lahaina are a bit cheaper for food (highly recommend Cool Catz in Lahaina, the Don Ho is the best burger I have ever had in my life).

When we read about all the construction issues we were concerned, but we did in advance ensure that we would not be in the tower which overlooks this and I would certainly recommend you do that, as to be honest, other than walking past that section (big crane) to get to Whalers Village and further along the beach, I would not have even noticed they were doing the works as it was very quiet everywhere else.

We were looking at doing one of the snorkelling tours to see some Sea Turtles, which were a little pricey, but were advised to try out black rock which is just about 15 minute walk from the Hyatt Beach (which is quite small to be honest so you are better walking a bit further along). We hired a snorkel set near there for $8 pp for 2 hours and wow, we saw Sea Turtles as soon as we got in, one of the most incredible things I have ever done. After seeing the first one in a crowded area we swam round the cove and oh my we saw a gigantic sea turtle, it was incredible and so special as you could really swim alongside it. In fact in little over an hour, we saw 3 Sea Turtles, not bad for $8...

I also highly recommend the Hike Maui tour in the Rainforest, that was our favourite part of the honeymoon and our guide Bocher was amazing, we saw and swam in beautiful water, sampled the plans, and did some really fun and challenging hiking, it was a privalage to be there.

Also - I read that the Luau was not all that, but we really enjoyed it, there were elements that were a little cheesey but the food, drink and entertainment I thought was overall really very good.

My only real disappointment was the cost of spa treaments which I thought were very very excessive and were in the end beyond our budget which was a shame as we both really wanted to do the ocean side massage but could not...

What a stay, we did not want to leave and will most definately be returning to Maui, if I could move there now I would! I now just dream of being back there!

Room Tip: Ensure you ask to be on one of the towers away from the construction site and if you are facing away...
5 Thank Kayleigh_Kevin_85
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for going out of your way to provide such extensive feedback about your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that we were able to help make your honeymoon such a memorable experience. I am glad that you found your room to be spacious and the bed to be so comfortable. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel grounds, as well as the wildlife. We often hear enthusiastic feedback regarding our restaurants. The Mahi Mahi at Japengo is one of my favorite dishes, as well. Our proximity to Lahaina and Whalers Village makes it very convenient for our guests for shopping and dining. I am thrilled that you were able to take advantage of the snorkel rentals and saw so many sea turtles during your snorkeling tour. I hope that we can welcome you back to our hotel again in the future.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Hyatt wad a great hotel.. The staff where very good and all the grounds where brilliant and well maintained. While there is work going on _ they are building another tower , I urge you that before you book double check which building you are staying in and where your room is allocated.. it can get loud. We were extremely lucky that we had a choice of two rooms and so chose accordingly.. We had a mountain and partial beach view and the room was very accomodating... Breakfast was good if you like the buffet style but they will whip you up eggs etc on the spot if you like. Pool was great large enough and plenty of seating if you get there early. The kids pool was set back in another area so that was great for the families... Japengos you must try .. had a great meal twice and service was very good... Overall I would stay there again had a wonderful time thankyou Hyatt....

Room Tip: Double check rooms you have booked because of the works going on...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sophia S
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am happy to hear that you found the staff to be so friendly and that you enjoyed our beautiful hotel grounds. I am glad that you liked the ocean and mountain views from your room. The breakfast buffet in Swan Court is a great option for breakfast, especially with the made to order eggs that you mentioned. Japengos has many wonderful dishes and I am delighted that you enjoyed the food and the service. I’m thrilled that you were able to take advantage of our large pool and ample poolside seating. I hope we can welcome you back to our hotel again in the future.

Bristol, Connecticut
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We celebrated our 15th Anniversary at the Hyatt in Maui!! What a great place to relax and receive the kind of service everyone wants. The spa treatments were affordable and provided by real professionals. The on-site restaurants all provided excellent meals and a diversity that allowed us to stay right at the hotel. When we did leave the hotel it didn't take long to want to return for more pina coladas and volcano salad! I highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a great vacation.

Room Tip: Pony up for the ocean view!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for your recommendation! I am thrilled you had an excellent stay at our resort. It sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed the spa and the onsite restaurants. I am honored you chose to spend your 15th Anniversary at our resort. Your kind words are truly appreciated. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Regency Maui in the near future. Mahalo!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#19 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!