7,496 results
All reviews swan court atrium tower our honeymoon breakfast buffet swim up bar exotic birds self parking walk in closet resort fee pool area whalers village lahaina tower kaanapali beach partial ocean view ocean front maui resort kids pool
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort in December 2011 and had a fantastic time. The staff there is very nice and the hotel has a couple delicious restaurants on-site. The pool and huge waterslide are great for all ages, and the water playground was fun for my 4 year old sister. The hotel has many animals on display including live penguins, macaws that greet you at the hotel entrance, black and white swans, and cranes (there were also supposed to be flamingos, but we couldn't find them). The area around the penguin "exhibit" was a bit obstructed though, due to construction that apparently going to continue until 2014. The rooms at the Hyatt were comfortable and originally, we were going to be staying next to the construction area, but they graciously moved us to a beautiful room over looking the beach. The best part about our stay was by far the luau. It is one of the best in Maui. Fire and hula dancers, great music and DELICIOUS food (including the traditional Hawaiian pig that is buried in a bed of hot coals and roated for hours). If you stay at the Hyatt you must go to the luau. If we do ever return to Maui, we will definitely be coming back to this resort.

Date of stay: December 2012
1  Thank vacationingwanderer
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your stay. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the pool and waterslides so thoroughly. I’m glad that you liked all of the animals throughout the hotel, including the penguins and swans. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your room overlooking the beach. I am thrilled to hear that you were able to take advantage of the luau and enjoyed the fire and hula dancers, as well as the music and food. The traditional Hawaiian pig is one of my favorite dishes, as well. I hope that we can welcome your family back to our hotel again soon.

Abrea H – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was my third stay at this resort, and most likely my last! I booked 2 rooms through a travel website, not directly through the Hyatt. Nowhere in my booking was I informed that the "Obstructed" view I was booking was actually overlooking a tremendous construction project which will be ongoing until late 2014! The main page on the actual Hyatt website for this property, at the time of my check in, indicated "EXTENSIVE RENOVATIONS COMPLETED AT HYATT REGENCY MAUI RESORT AND SPA" (This wording has now been removed from the page) What would you think if you saw that wording? That there was no construction going on at the hotel at this time, right? Well you're wrong and so was I! There's plenty of construction going on at the Hyatt! Dear Hyatt; OBSTRUCTED view means you are looking at another building NOT overlooking a major construction pit full equipment, noise and dust! FYI they are building a Time Share building in what used to be their parking lot.

Before even being shown to our rooms we asked to speak with the manager. We worked out a deal where our rooms would be moved. Perfect, right? Until Monday morning when construction at the pool started! For the remainder of our trip we listened to loud tile saws from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm! Tile guys constantly walked past us with wheelbarrows full of material. Then on Thursday they started installing scaffolding in their atrium area for a painting project. From our room we had stereo nail guns pounding in the atrium area and tile saws around the pool! No amount of Mai Tai's could take that headache away!

We spoke with so many other guest who were celebrating major milestones; birthdays, honeymoons & anniversaries! Who had saved their hard earned money and sacred vacation time to spend it in paradise only to be blindsided by horrific construction! I actually feel like the Hyatt stole from them their precious vacation time! It's not cheap to stay in Hawaii in June, or any time for that matter, and I know I would have picked another property if I'd known about the massive amount of construction going on at this time! We did complain numerous times to the front desk staff. They did their best to compensate for the construction (free resort fees & valet parking,) but they can't give me back my peace of mind nor the time or money spent on this vacation. Linda, Amanda & Scott are doing the best they can after being thrown under the bus by bad information from corporate websites!

And a note about housekeeping; I observed them spending more time on their cell phones instead of actually cleaning! One day we returned at 3:00pm to find the maid outside our room on her phone and our room hadn't been touched yet!

The major construction project is a new Time Share building. What the property actually needs is a complete renovation! The rooms are beyond old! Popcorn on the ceilings, beat up doors inside the units, wall paper pealing off the walls, filthy yellowed light switches, old grimy door knobs. The common area bathrooms in the main building are old and run down. The walkway to the restroom through the pool grotto is foul and smells like mold! It's sad to see what used to be one of the best resorts on Kaanapali so run down with deferred maintenance. Based on some of the projects it looks like maybe they are finally going to do something about this. However the Hyatt needs to be honest with people before we make our reservations so we know exactly what we are in for! There is no room in paradise for the sound of pounding nails & blazing saws unless we are given the choice to choose those noises!

TIP - If you decide to stay here, do spend a day in the spa away from the construction noise. The spa is very nice and relaxing! The breakfast buffet is typical and pricey. The area where it's served needs a remodel as well! It's sticky and grimy!

Room tip: Book a room in the Lahaina Tower as it is farthest from the construction!
5  Thank Lisatini1013
HyattHotelGirl, Manager at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Aloha Lisatini,
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel after staying with us in our obstructed view room. I see that not all information might have been passed on to you as to what kind of room you would have and red flags go up to us! We want to try and divulge that this is a room overlooking the adjacent property under construction and would like to hear more about whom you booked through so we can make sure to correct any midleading description... and hear some more feedback about your stay. Our Assistant Director of Rooms, Nick Francis is available by e-mail at nick.francis@Hyatt.com.
My apologies for such a disappointing stay. I hope you'll reach out to us so we can take some more of your feedback and take appropriate actions. Warmest Alohas, Kressa

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Greeted w/ Lei's. Amazing staff. Very accommodating. We were in the far east tower that over looked the pool. It was an amazing view. Every night we saw the sunset. The morning brunch was amazing. The staff so friendly. We had our business convention here as well. The meeting rooms were nice and cool. We had our own Luau. And the food was so beautifully prepared. I was also on my honeymoon. So the hotel had a bottle of wine and dessert prepared one night when we went back to our room. It was amazing. I would stay here again in a heart beat.

Room tip: I had the top east room facing the pool so that we could see the sunset every night. Amazing.
Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Thank you for your recommendation it is our biggest compliment! It is fantastic to hear that you had a memorable experience at our resort. I am glad your room was perfect and you found the staff to be very friendly. It sounds like you had a successful honeymoon and business meeting. Your thoughtful feedback is greatly appreciated. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed June 18, 2013

The POSITIVE:
Regency Club Staff was excellent, breakfast, snacks, evening snacks, and desserts...all excellent. Clean, comfortable rooms. Cleaning staff seems to work hard to keep fresh towels and clean room. Fantastic pool and the waterslide was awesome...had a great time with my wife and kids in the pool.

The NEGATIVE:
Reservation and Room: Booked this vacation almost a year ago as a Platinum member. Was given a room with Partial Ocean view. The ocean was only visible from the balcony and only if you stood on the left side and sort of leaned over. First thing I did after dropping my suitcase was go out on the balcony and to my dismay , I was staring at two workers on suspended scaffolds painting the side of the building. Bogus advertising! Figured they would be done in a day or so but after third day...NOT, so asked for an Oceanview and it was granted for an upcharge! As a Platinum member you automatically get a 2pm late checkout. Most hotels offer a hospitality suite where you can shower and change if you have a late flight returning to the mainland. Hyatt Maui does NOT offer this and even charged me an additional $75 for three hours. They didn't offer to see if they needed the room or anything, just a straight out $75 charge.
Parking: Previous reviews cited the incredibly small spaces and it is true. You can barely fit your car in those spaces...had to let family out first or else risk dinging doors. Interesting that Valet spaces were the normal size. Must be a concerted effort by management to maximize parking fee income or encourage folks to use more expensive Valet service.
Construction: Yes, everywhere and no mention on the hotel website. Building a tower next door, painting the exterior of the main hotel in various places and pool tile was being replaced. Some hammering, nice fresh grout clouding the water in some places, etc.
Food: Outrageously expensive.....example at pool, 2 smoothies, two small tacos, basket of fries, two "foo foo" drinks, nachos. Cost was almost $80! My first clue about prices, is they don't even list them on the menus posted on the outside of any restaurant. You have to actually ask for a menu inside the restaurant.
Staff: All staff were generally nice but could tell they have been instructed to maximize profit by offering NO upgrades.
Pool: Awesome minus the construction. Did have to insist they stop letting people reserve chairs at 0630. They have a sign that staff will remove items after chairs have been vacant for 60 minutes but no one enforces the rule. Human behavior is an interesting thing....I watched some idiot create his own island at 0630 in the morning by moving all the chairs away from him and the four lounges he laid towels on under one of the large straw umbrellas. After 3 hours of him not being there, I tossed his shoes onto other chairs. Towels are laid out on 60 percent of the chairs by 0700 and there is not a soul in the pool.
Restaurants: Again food was outrageous expensive but that is halfway expected, you are in Hawaii! The part that was upsetting is several times the entire restaurants would be closed for private functions. Seriously, money must talk no matter how inconvenient you make it for the other 799 guests who flew to Hawaii and wanted to enjoy all the amenities of your resort.
Overall Hotel Condition: Very dated....no I don't need a 400 square foot bathroom...but this resort is seriously dated. I wouldn't return for free (points) much less pay $400-$500 a night for a room. This resort is only deserving of 3 stars simply because it is in Maui and on the beach.
Recommendation: We were spoiled by the Hyatt in Kauai! Everything about it was awesome when we stayed there two years ago. Stay there if you want a good value for your hard earned points and/or cash!
All my business companions are Hilton Club members........now I kind of see why.

Room tip: Don't fall for the partial ocean view (there is not one unless on the balcony and standing in one corner and leaning over......stay in the central tower with ocean view.
6  Thank frankr518

Aloha Frank,

I'm saddened to see so many negatives notes over the course of your stay. Although you highlight some of your main disappointments, we'd love to hear more about your stay are any suggestions you might have on how we can encourage other Platinum members, such as yourself to feel more welcome. Our Assistant Director of Rooms, Nick Francis can be reached at nick.francis@hyatt.com and is eager to hear from you.
Mahalo for the time to leave us a review. I'm hoping we can make your next stay with us incredible!
Warmest Alohas, Kressa

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is definitely more of a family resort. The pool is boisterous and busy. The lobby and grounds are filled with animals that are great for young kids to be entertained with. From tropical birds to penguins and koi. The negatives are that there is no real beach to speak of, you can sit on the lawn but to sit on the beach you have to walk a ways down towards black rock if you want an area that kids can get in the ocean and enjoy. Also the pool is crowded with little shade and the pool side service is very limited if thats something you are looking for. On the other hand the rooms are clean and quiet with nice views. The gym is great with plenty of equipment. The hotel is located in an area that has a nice walking path so you can get out and try other dining options. Also a very nice and rare option is there is a convenience store inside the hotel that you can buy drinks. snacks, sunscreen etc for a more reasonable price. Also there are laundry facilities on the main floor so you can wash you beach and gym clothes before heading home. As always the Hawaiian hospitality is warm, welcoming, and extremely helpful. If you can stay at this resort for a reasonable price I would stay again.

Room tip: You will spend very little time if your room. The non-ocean view rooms have a nice view of the hills behind the hotel so save your money and spend it on an adventure!