“Gambled and Won with Construction Issue”

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Let me assure you that the construction issue that people are writing about at this hotel is most definitely real. Though I did not experience it, I feel like it's such a large potential issue that it needs to be mentioned. I'll talk about this more at the end of my review, but for now, I'd say that if I was in a room in the northmost building, I'm sure my experience re: noise would be different. That said, if you have a room in the southern-most building (Lahaina tower) you should not expect a problem with noise, and parking was awesome for us (always a spot available, spots were larger than in the larger lot, and so on).

My wife & two sons (3 and 5) stayed here for 10 days in mid-June. We all really loved it. Toward the end of our trip, the hotel staff had daily activities for the kids as well (which made us wish we'd started our trip a bit later), including things like sand-castle building and fishing. The kids' pool area is great - as noted below, it was separated from the intermittent pool construction and actually was very relaxing. The beach was also great - there are rocks out in the ocean after you get out about thigh or waist high (depending on your height), but this didn't bother me (and certainly not my kids). The sand is soft, the water is beautiful and clear, and the beach is clean and well-manicured. There are several little coves where one can comfortably find a spot to sit down (on your own towel or if you bring your own chair - though on one end I think the hotel had chair rental available). Also, the beach itself is not crowded, though the lawn area immediately overlooking the beach did appear to get crowded. The property in general is well-maintained, and the staff were all excellent and friendly to us (and our kids). The on-premises concierge service that offered tours was extremely helpful, and when I did comparison pricing against what they offered, the pricing was all reasonable and competitive (in some cases, cheaper).

The location is great. Lahaina has several good restaurant options and is a close drive. Whaler's Village is driveable and they will validate your parking if you do something like buy a meal at a sit-down restaurant. It's a more substantial walk (a solid 15 minutes - more with kids, obviously). In Lahaina, free 3-hour parking is available most places. There's a grocery store within 5 minutes (driving) of the Hyatt if you want to get snacks or whatever, and though groceries are more expensive in Hawaii than elsewhere, it's nowhere near what you pay at the Hyatt itself (more on that later).

Parking at the Hyatt does carry a daily fee, but it's available very nearby to the Lahaina tower where we stayed. We never had any problem finding a parking spot in this lot. There is a larger lot further away from the Lahaina tower where we parked before we realized where the closer lot was that the (very friendly) checkin attendant tried to tell us existed. (We had been traveling for 20 hours - I'm pretty sure his explanation was valid, and that my comprehension was just failing). At the larger lot, the closest parking spots are indeed TINY. That said, the further-away parking spots were larger. Spots in the lot near the Lahaina tower were all of normal size - my family had no problem getting in to and out of our full-sized car.

The room was good, but not excellent. We booked a "mountain view" (inland-facing) room through hyatt.com with a AAA discount in July last year and got an excellent rate, but nonetheless, we were upgraded (for free) to a partial ocean-view room. (I'm sure this was based on availability more than anything else). No, the rooms are not as modern as rooms at other hotels that have been remodeled within the last year. We had no complaints (the beds were comfortable for us, and being low to the ground was actually a benefit when traveling with kids), but they didn't blow us away either. The non-minibar fridge (there was a minibar fridge and a regular one) was most appreciated - being able to refrigerate food for my kids is a killer feature for someone traveling with kids and was way more important than a larger bathroom. (The bathroom was fine - it wasn't massive nor were the fixtures brand-new, but certainly it was larger than more expensive hotels I've stayed at in Manhattan). Our partial ocean view room was on the 3rd floor of the Lahaina tower. This translated to being able to see the ocean fairly clearly from the room, but since we were lower down, about 1/2 of your field of vision includes seeing various other parts of the hotel (including a roof below you). For our room, at least, "partial ocean view" was an apt description.

The one truly negative thing about this hotel that I experienced was the value of many food items available for purchase on premises. I have stayed at resorts throughout the world. I understand that resorts are more expensive and that Hawaii in general is expensive. I'm sure other resorts in Hawaii are similarly expensive, but this was well past my comfort level for daily spending on routine things. The only meal we actually ate at the Hyatt was on the first day when my wife & son woke up early (jetlagged from the east coast). I'm sorry, $17 for a (plain) coffee, a (not huge) muffin, and a juice is excessive and unjustifiable. I'm just not going to blow a few hundred dollars on *snacks and drinks* over the span of a 10-day stay. The on-premises convenience store offered more reasonable pricing (though still steep) than the coffee place or anything available near the pool area, but curiously it is not possible to bill expenses at the convenience store to your room. The saving grace of the bizarre pricing structure re: food/snacks at the Hyatt is that it was not a big deal for us to bring canned drinks and snacks for our kids in a collapsible cooler down to the pool area. The majority of people seemed to get food and drinks from the on-premises services, but I noticed plenty of others doing as we did (bringing their own). The staff was professional and courteous and never made us uncomfortable about this. Though I was very displeased with the value of things like the pool restaurant and snack service, the value of the on-premises sit-down restaurants looked more compelling. (I have no problem spending $100 per adult on a meal if it's excellent food - which the sit-down restaurants appear to offer. I have a big problem spending $30 for a sandwich and a soda). The reviews I read for the quality of the food at restaurants led me to want to eat there despite the comparitive price advantage of local restaurants (which offered excellent quality as well), but given that we have small children, we decided against this.

Regarding construction and geography of the Hyatt: There are currently three buildings where there are rooms. There is a northmost building, a center building, and a southern building. The northmost building is angled (one side facing inland, one side facing the ocean). Opposite the inland-facing side, there is a massive pit of construction where they are putting up an entirely new building. As of June 18, the foundation was not done and it appeared that it would be quite a long time until this project is completed. The noise from the construction there is real (I walked past it), and it is loud. If you have a room in the northmost tower or even possibly the northern end of the center building, I would expect to have a experience this noise. As indicated above, the Lahaina Tower (southern-most tower) seems mostly unaffected. (Just for reference, it is angled as well, so the partial-ocean-view rooms like ours generally face north). Despite the angle of our room toward the general area of the construction, it was far enough away that I never heard the construction from inside my room. There was also construction going on right in the adult-pool area (well, specifically the grotto area). This made for VERY loud noise if you are in the adult-pool area, somewhat amplified by the grotto itself. That said, they only did this construction a handful of days that we were there -- it was not every day. (Obviously your mileage may vary). If you want to simply lay *by* a pool, go to the kids-pool area - unless you hate children, the area where the kids actually are is separated enough from the chairs where the sound alone from the kids should not be noticeable. (Yes, if you want to be *in* a pool, that means the adult-pool area, and you run a risk of being next to construction - in which case, consider the very lovely beach, IMO).

Room Tip: Get a room in the Lahaina tower if at all possible, bring a collapsible cooler if you want a better...
9  Thank DocOwl
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you for providing such a detailed review regarding you and your family’s recent experience at our resort. I am pleased that you found the service to be excellent and the location to be great. I am pleased you found the amenities in your room to work well for you and your family. I will share your feedback regarding the food pricing with our management team. I really appreciate your thorough review. I hope that we can have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to Hyatt Regency Maui again in the future. Mahalo!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Write a ReviewReviews (6,736)

Reviewed June 20, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort in December 2011 and had a fantastic time. The staff there is very nice and the hotel has a couple delicious restaurants on-site. The pool and huge waterslide are great for all ages, and the water playground was fun for my 4 year old sister. The hotel has many animals on display including live penguins, macaws that greet you at the hotel entrance, black and white swans, and cranes (there were also supposed to be flamingos, but we couldn't find them). The area around the penguin "exhibit" was a bit obstructed though, due to construction that apparently going to continue until 2014. The rooms at the Hyatt were comfortable and originally, we were going to be staying next to the construction area, but they graciously moved us to a beautiful room over looking the beach. The best part about our stay was by far the luau. It is one of the best in Maui. Fire and hula dancers, great music and DELICIOUS food (including the traditional Hawaiian pig that is buried in a bed of hot coals and roated for hours). If you stay at the Hyatt you must go to the luau. If we do ever return to Maui, we will definitely be coming back to this resort.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank vacationingwanderer
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your stay. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the pool and waterslides so thoroughly. I’m glad that you liked all of the animals throughout the hotel, including the penguins and swans. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your room overlooking the beach. I am thrilled to hear that you were able to take advantage of the luau and enjoyed the fire and hula dancers, as well as the music and food. The traditional Hawaiian pig is one of my favorite dishes, as well. I hope that we can welcome your family back to our hotel again soon.

Abrea H – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was my third stay at this resort, and most likely my last! I booked 2 rooms through a travel website, not directly through the Hyatt. Nowhere in my booking was I informed that the "Obstructed" view I was booking was actually overlooking a tremendous construction project which will be ongoing until late 2014! The main page on the actual Hyatt website for this property, at the time of my check in, indicated "EXTENSIVE RENOVATIONS COMPLETED AT HYATT REGENCY MAUI RESORT AND SPA" (This wording has now been removed from the page) What would you think if you saw that wording? That there was no construction going on at the hotel at this time, right? Well you're wrong and so was I! There's plenty of construction going on at the Hyatt! Dear Hyatt; OBSTRUCTED view means you are looking at another building NOT overlooking a major construction pit full equipment, noise and dust! FYI they are building a Time Share building in what used to be their parking lot.

Before even being shown to our rooms we asked to speak with the manager. We worked out a deal where our rooms would be moved. Perfect, right? Until Monday morning when construction at the pool started! For the remainder of our trip we listened to loud tile saws from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm! Tile guys constantly walked past us with wheelbarrows full of material. Then on Thursday they started installing scaffolding in their atrium area for a painting project. From our room we had stereo nail guns pounding in the atrium area and tile saws around the pool! No amount of Mai Tai's could take that headache away!

We spoke with so many other guest who were celebrating major milestones; birthdays, honeymoons & anniversaries! Who had saved their hard earned money and sacred vacation time to spend it in paradise only to be blindsided by horrific construction! I actually feel like the Hyatt stole from them their precious vacation time! It's not cheap to stay in Hawaii in June, or any time for that matter, and I know I would have picked another property if I'd known about the massive amount of construction going on at this time! We did complain numerous times to the front desk staff. They did their best to compensate for the construction (free resort fees & valet parking,) but they can't give me back my peace of mind nor the time or money spent on this vacation. Linda, Amanda & Scott are doing the best they can after being thrown under the bus by bad information from corporate websites!

And a note about housekeeping; I observed them spending more time on their cell phones instead of actually cleaning! One day we returned at 3:00pm to find the maid outside our room on her phone and our room hadn't been touched yet!

The major construction project is a new Time Share building. What the property actually needs is a complete renovation! The rooms are beyond old! Popcorn on the ceilings, beat up doors inside the units, wall paper pealing off the walls, filthy yellowed light switches, old grimy door knobs. The common area bathrooms in the main building are old and run down. The walkway to the restroom through the pool grotto is foul and smells like mold! It's sad to see what used to be one of the best resorts on Kaanapali so run down with deferred maintenance. Based on some of the projects it looks like maybe they are finally going to do something about this. However the Hyatt needs to be honest with people before we make our reservations so we know exactly what we are in for! There is no room in paradise for the sound of pounding nails & blazing saws unless we are given the choice to choose those noises!

TIP - If you decide to stay here, do spend a day in the spa away from the construction noise. The spa is very nice and relaxing! The breakfast buffet is typical and pricey. The area where it's served needs a remodel as well! It's sticky and grimy!

Room Tip: Book a room in the Lahaina Tower as it is farthest from the construction!
5  Thank Lisatini1013
HyattHotelGirl, Manager at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Aloha Lisatini,
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel after staying with us in our obstructed view room. I see that not all information might have been passed on to you as to what kind of room you would have and red flags go up to us! We want to try and divulge that this is a room overlooking the adjacent property under construction and would like to hear more about whom you booked through so we can make sure to correct any midleading description... and hear some more feedback about your stay. Our Assistant Director of Rooms, Nick Francis is available by e-mail at nick.francis@Hyatt.com.
My apologies for such a disappointing stay. I hope you'll reach out to us so we can take some more of your feedback and take appropriate actions. Warmest Alohas, Kressa

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Greeted w/ Lei's. Amazing staff. Very accommodating. We were in the far east tower that over looked the pool. It was an amazing view. Every night we saw the sunset. The morning brunch was amazing. The staff so friendly. We had our business convention here as well. The meeting rooms were nice and cool. We had our own Luau. And the food was so beautifully prepared. I was also on my honeymoon. So the hotel had a bottle of wine and dessert prepared one night when we went back to our room. It was amazing. I would stay here again in a heart beat.

Room Tip: I had the top east room facing the pool so that we could see the sunset every night. Amazing.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Thank you for your recommendation it is our biggest compliment! It is fantastic to hear that you had a memorable experience at our resort. I am glad your room was perfect and you found the staff to be very friendly. It sounds like you had a successful honeymoon and business meeting. Your thoughtful feedback is greatly appreciated. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the future!

The POSITIVE:
Regency Club Staff was excellent, breakfast, snacks, evening snacks, and desserts...all excellent. Clean, comfortable rooms. Cleaning staff seems to work hard to keep fresh towels and clean room. Fantastic pool and the waterslide was awesome...had a great time with my wife and kids in the pool.

The NEGATIVE:
Reservation and Room: Booked this vacation almost a year ago as a Platinum member. Was given a room with Partial Ocean view. The ocean was only visible from the balcony and only if you stood on the left side and sort of leaned over. First thing I did after dropping my suitcase was go out on the balcony and to my dismay , I was staring at two workers on suspended scaffolds painting the side of the building. Bogus advertising! Figured they would be done in a day or so but after third day...NOT, so asked for an Oceanview and it was granted for an upcharge! As a Platinum member you automatically get a 2pm late checkout. Most hotels offer a hospitality suite where you can shower and change if you have a late flight returning to the mainland. Hyatt Maui does NOT offer this and even charged me an additional $75 for three hours. They didn't offer to see if they needed the room or anything, just a straight out $75 charge.
Parking: Previous reviews cited the incredibly small spaces and it is true. You can barely fit your car in those spaces...had to let family out first or else risk dinging doors. Interesting that Valet spaces were the normal size. Must be a concerted effort by management to maximize parking fee income or encourage folks to use more expensive Valet service.
Construction: Yes, everywhere and no mention on the hotel website. Building a tower next door, painting the exterior of the main hotel in various places and pool tile was being replaced. Some hammering, nice fresh grout clouding the water in some places, etc.
Food: Outrageously expensive.....example at pool, 2 smoothies, two small tacos, basket of fries, two "foo foo" drinks, nachos. Cost was almost $80! My first clue about prices, is they don't even list them on the menus posted on the outside of any restaurant. You have to actually ask for a menu inside the restaurant.
Staff: All staff were generally nice but could tell they have been instructed to maximize profit by offering NO upgrades.
Pool: Awesome minus the construction. Did have to insist they stop letting people reserve chairs at 0630. They have a sign that staff will remove items after chairs have been vacant for 60 minutes but no one enforces the rule. Human behavior is an interesting thing....I watched some idiot create his own island at 0630 in the morning by moving all the chairs away from him and the four lounges he laid towels on under one of the large straw umbrellas. After 3 hours of him not being there, I tossed his shoes onto other chairs. Towels are laid out on 60 percent of the chairs by 0700 and there is not a soul in the pool.
Restaurants: Again food was outrageous expensive but that is halfway expected, you are in Hawaii! The part that was upsetting is several times the entire restaurants would be closed for private functions. Seriously, money must talk no matter how inconvenient you make it for the other 799 guests who flew to Hawaii and wanted to enjoy all the amenities of your resort.
Overall Hotel Condition: Very dated....no I don't need a 400 square foot bathroom...but this resort is seriously dated. I wouldn't return for free (points) much less pay $400-$500 a night for a room. This resort is only deserving of 3 stars simply because it is in Maui and on the beach.
Recommendation: We were spoiled by the Hyatt in Kauai! Everything about it was awesome when we stayed there two years ago. Stay there if you want a good value for your hard earned points and/or cash!
All my business companions are Hilton Club members........now I kind of see why.

Room Tip: Don't fall for the partial ocean view (there is not one unless on the balcony and standing in on...
6  Thank Frank R

Aloha Frank,

I'm saddened to see so many negatives notes over the course of your stay. Although you highlight some of your main disappointments, we'd love to hear more about your stay are any suggestions you might have on how we can encourage other Platinum members, such as yourself to feel more welcome. Our Assistant Director of Rooms, Nick Francis can be reached at nick.francis@hyatt.com and is eager to hear from you.
Mahalo for the time to leave us a review. I'm hoping we can make your next stay with us incredible!
Warmest Alohas, Kressa

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is definitely more of a family resort. The pool is boisterous and busy. The lobby and grounds are filled with animals that are great for young kids to be entertained with. From tropical birds to penguins and koi. The negatives are that there is no real beach to speak of, you can sit on the lawn but to sit on the beach you have to walk a ways down towards black rock if you want an area that kids can get in the ocean and enjoy. Also the pool is crowded with little shade and the pool side service is very limited if thats something you are looking for. On the other hand the rooms are clean and quiet with nice views. The gym is great with plenty of equipment. The hotel is located in an area that has a nice walking path so you can get out and try other dining options. Also a very nice and rare option is there is a convenience store inside the hotel that you can buy drinks. snacks, sunscreen etc for a more reasonable price. Also there are laundry facilities on the main floor so you can wash you beach and gym clothes before heading home. As always the Hawaiian hospitality is warm, welcoming, and extremely helpful. If you can stay at this resort for a reasonable price I would stay again.

Room Tip: You will spend very little time if your room. The non-ocean view rooms have a nice view of the hills...
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Nice hotel but certainly not worth a five star rating - a four would pull this up. Rooms clean and comfortable, quite a good size and cleaned and refreshed every day. Renovations going on around the pool area with the spa being upgraded which was very noisy. Breakfast was quite okay with a reasonable variety of food but sometimes there was a long line up to be seated. I also didn't like the fact that birds were flying in and out of this open plan restaurant. Something to be aware of is that this hotel group like to put in extra charges where they can. A 'resort fee' of $15 per room per day is charged for guests to use 'hotel facilities' which was one small bottle of water on arrival, a local newspaper every day, free wifi and use of the pool (which was lovely). We were also charged $14 a day to park our rented car in an outdoor car park. These fees are ridiculous and a complete rip off! The location of the hotel is about 45 minutes from the airport so a rental car is necessary as public transport is not very good. Lahaina is a very busy part of the island with a lot of traffic and not very good signage for some beaches and points of interest but the hotel staff were very helpful with providing information where needed.

Room Tip: Choose an oceanview or partial oceanview room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank angel810

I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback in regards to your recent stay. I am pleased you found your room to be very clean and comfortable. We do have a resort fee at our property. This fee covers the use of several different amenities throughout the resort. I am pleased you found the hotel staff to be very helpful. Your feedback is very important as we use this to continue and improve the service offered to our valued guests. Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Maui. I hope we can welcome you back to our resort the next time your travel brings you to Maui. Mahalo!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!