This was my third stay at this resort, and most likely my last! I booked 2 rooms through a travel website, not directly through the Hyatt. Nowhere in my booking was I informed that the "Obstructed" view I was booking was actually overlooking a tremendous construction project which will be ongoing until late 2014! The main page on the actual Hyatt website for this property, at the time of my check in, indicated "EXTENSIVE RENOVATIONS COMPLETED AT HYATT REGENCY MAUI RESORT AND SPA" (This wording has now been removed from the page) What would you think if you saw that wording? That there was no construction going on at the hotel at this time, right? Well you're wrong and so was I! There's plenty of construction going on at the Hyatt! Dear Hyatt; OBSTRUCTED view means you are looking at another building NOT overlooking a major construction pit full equipment, noise and dust! FYI they are building a Time Share building in what used to be their parking lot.
Before even being shown to our rooms we asked to speak with the manager. We worked out a deal where our rooms would be moved. Perfect, right? Until Monday morning when construction at the pool started! For the remainder of our trip we listened to loud tile saws from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm! Tile guys constantly walked past us with wheelbarrows full of material. Then on Thursday they started installing scaffolding in their atrium area for a painting project. From our room we had stereo nail guns pounding in the atrium area and tile saws around the pool! No amount of Mai Tai's could take that headache away!
We spoke with so many other guest who were celebrating major milestones; birthdays, honeymoons & anniversaries! Who had saved their hard earned money and sacred vacation time to spend it in paradise only to be blindsided by horrific construction! I actually feel like the Hyatt stole from them their precious vacation time! It's not cheap to stay in Hawaii in June, or any time for that matter, and I know I would have picked another property if I'd known about the massive amount of construction going on at this time! We did complain numerous times to the front desk staff. They did their best to compensate for the construction (free resort fees & valet parking,) but they can't give me back my peace of mind nor the time or money spent on this vacation. Linda, Amanda & Scott are doing the best they can after being thrown under the bus by bad information from corporate websites!
And a note about housekeeping; I observed them spending more time on their cell phones instead of actually cleaning! One day we returned at 3:00pm to find the maid outside our room on her phone and our room hadn't been touched yet!
The major construction project is a new Time Share building. What the property actually needs is a complete renovation! The rooms are beyond old! Popcorn on the ceilings, beat up doors inside the units, wall paper pealing off the walls, filthy yellowed light switches, old grimy door knobs. The common area bathrooms in the main building are old and run down. The walkway to the restroom through the pool grotto is foul and smells like mold! It's sad to see what used to be one of the best resorts on Kaanapali so run down with deferred maintenance. Based on some of the projects it looks like maybe they are finally going to do something about this. However the Hyatt needs to be honest with people before we make our reservations so we know exactly what we are in for! There is no room in paradise for the sound of pounding nails & blazing saws unless we are given the choice to choose those noises!
TIP - If you decide to stay here, do spend a day in the spa away from the construction noise. The spa is very nice and relaxing! The breakfast buffet is typical and pricey. The area where it's served needs a remodel as well! It's sticky and grimy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on 40 oceanfront acres on Ka'anapali Beach, this AAA 4-Diamond award-winning resort is an authentic Hawaiian experience set in tropical paradise. Each of 806 guestrooms, including 31 renovated suites, affords Hawaiian elegance with private lanais and panoramic views. Amenities include oceanfront spa, 24-hour athletic club, half-acre pool with waterfalls and slides, golf, and tennis. Activities include Drums of the Pacific Lu'au, Tour of the Stars rooftop stargazing, cultural lessons, water sports, shopping on property and nearby, and wildlife tours with penguins, flamingos and more. World-class dining at Japengo, 'Umalu, Swan Court and Son’z—emphasize using locally grown ingredients to provide unique cuisine to suit every palate. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Maui Hotel Lahaina
- Hyatt Lahaina
- Hyatt Regency Maui Resort Spa
- Hyatt Regency Lahaina
- Hyatt Regency Maui Resort And Spa Lahaina