7,496 results
All reviews swan court atrium tower our honeymoon breakfast buffet swim up bar exotic birds self parking walk in closet resort fee pool area whalers village lahaina tower kaanapali beach partial ocean view ocean front maui resort kids pool
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Greeted w/ Lei's. Amazing staff. Very accommodating. We were in the far east tower that over looked the pool. It was an amazing view. Every night we saw the sunset. The morning brunch was amazing. The staff so friendly. We had our business convention here as well. The meeting rooms were nice and cool. We had our own Luau. And the food was so beautifully prepared. I was also on my honeymoon. So the hotel had a bottle of wine and dessert prepared one night when we went back to our room. It was amazing. I would stay here again in a heart beat.

Room tip: I had the top east room facing the pool so that we could see the sunset every night. Amazing.
Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Thank you for your recommendation it is our biggest compliment! It is fantastic to hear that you had a memorable experience at our resort. I am glad your room was perfect and you found the staff to be very friendly. It sounds like you had a successful honeymoon and business meeting. Your thoughtful feedback is greatly appreciated. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the future!

The POSITIVE:
Regency Club Staff was excellent, breakfast, snacks, evening snacks, and desserts...all excellent. Clean, comfortable rooms. Cleaning staff seems to work hard to keep fresh towels and clean room. Fantastic pool and the waterslide was awesome...had a great time with my wife and kids in the pool.

The NEGATIVE:
Reservation and Room: Booked this vacation almost a year ago as a Platinum member. Was given a room with Partial Ocean view. The ocean was only visible from the balcony and only if you stood on the left side and sort of leaned over. First thing I did after dropping my suitcase was go out on the balcony and to my dismay , I was staring at two workers on suspended scaffolds painting the side of the building. Bogus advertising! Figured they would be done in a day or so but after third day...NOT, so asked for an Oceanview and it was granted for an upcharge! As a Platinum member you automatically get a 2pm late checkout. Most hotels offer a hospitality suite where you can shower and change if you have a late flight returning to the mainland. Hyatt Maui does NOT offer this and even charged me an additional $75 for three hours. They didn't offer to see if they needed the room or anything, just a straight out $75 charge.
Parking: Previous reviews cited the incredibly small spaces and it is true. You can barely fit your car in those spaces...had to let family out first or else risk dinging doors. Interesting that Valet spaces were the normal size. Must be a concerted effort by management to maximize parking fee income or encourage folks to use more expensive Valet service.
Construction: Yes, everywhere and no mention on the hotel website. Building a tower next door, painting the exterior of the main hotel in various places and pool tile was being replaced. Some hammering, nice fresh grout clouding the water in some places, etc.
Food: Outrageously expensive.....example at pool, 2 smoothies, two small tacos, basket of fries, two "foo foo" drinks, nachos. Cost was almost $80! My first clue about prices, is they don't even list them on the menus posted on the outside of any restaurant. You have to actually ask for a menu inside the restaurant.
Staff: All staff were generally nice but could tell they have been instructed to maximize profit by offering NO upgrades.
Pool: Awesome minus the construction. Did have to insist they stop letting people reserve chairs at 0630. They have a sign that staff will remove items after chairs have been vacant for 60 minutes but no one enforces the rule. Human behavior is an interesting thing....I watched some idiot create his own island at 0630 in the morning by moving all the chairs away from him and the four lounges he laid towels on under one of the large straw umbrellas. After 3 hours of him not being there, I tossed his shoes onto other chairs. Towels are laid out on 60 percent of the chairs by 0700 and there is not a soul in the pool.
Restaurants: Again food was outrageous expensive but that is halfway expected, you are in Hawaii! The part that was upsetting is several times the entire restaurants would be closed for private functions. Seriously, money must talk no matter how inconvenient you make it for the other 799 guests who flew to Hawaii and wanted to enjoy all the amenities of your resort.
Overall Hotel Condition: Very dated....no I don't need a 400 square foot bathroom...but this resort is seriously dated. I wouldn't return for free (points) much less pay $400-$500 a night for a room. This resort is only deserving of 3 stars simply because it is in Maui and on the beach.
Recommendation: We were spoiled by the Hyatt in Kauai! Everything about it was awesome when we stayed there two years ago. Stay there if you want a good value for your hard earned points and/or cash!
All my business companions are Hilton Club members........now I kind of see why.

Room tip: Don't fall for the partial ocean view (there is not one unless on the balcony and standing in one corner and leaning over......stay in the central tower with ocean view.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
6  Thank frankr518
HyattHotelGirl, Manager at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Aloha Frank,

I'm saddened to see so many negatives notes over the course of your stay. Although you highlight some of your main disappointments, we'd love to hear more about your stay are any suggestions you might have on how we can encourage other Platinum members, such as yourself to feel more welcome. Our Assistant Director of Rooms, Nick Francis can be reached at nick.francis@hyatt.com and is eager to hear from you.
Mahalo for the time to leave us a review. I'm hoping we can make your next stay with us incredible!
Warmest Alohas, Kressa

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is definitely more of a family resort. The pool is boisterous and busy. The lobby and grounds are filled with animals that are great for young kids to be entertained with. From tropical birds to penguins and koi. The negatives are that there is no real beach to speak of, you can sit on the lawn but to sit on the beach you have to walk a ways down towards black rock if you want an area that kids can get in the ocean and enjoy. Also the pool is crowded with little shade and the pool side service is very limited if thats something you are looking for. On the other hand the rooms are clean and quiet with nice views. The gym is great with plenty of equipment. The hotel is located in an area that has a nice walking path so you can get out and try other dining options. Also a very nice and rare option is there is a convenience store inside the hotel that you can buy drinks. snacks, sunscreen etc for a more reasonable price. Also there are laundry facilities on the main floor so you can wash you beach and gym clothes before heading home. As always the Hawaiian hospitality is warm, welcoming, and extremely helpful. If you can stay at this resort for a reasonable price I would stay again.

Room tip: You will spend very little time if your room. The non-ocean view rooms have a nice view of the hills behind the hotel so save your money and spend it on an adventure!
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Nice hotel but certainly not worth a five star rating - a four would pull this up. Rooms clean and comfortable, quite a good size and cleaned and refreshed every day. Renovations going on around the pool area with the spa being upgraded which was very noisy. Breakfast was quite okay with a reasonable variety of food but sometimes there was a long line up to be seated. I also didn't like the fact that birds were flying in and out of this open plan restaurant. Something to be aware of is that this hotel group like to put in extra charges where they can. A 'resort fee' of $15 per room per day is charged for guests to use 'hotel facilities' which was one small bottle of water on arrival, a local newspaper every day, free wifi and use of the pool (which was lovely). We were also charged $14 a day to park our rented car in an outdoor car park. These fees are ridiculous and a complete rip off! The location of the hotel is about 45 minutes from the airport so a rental car is necessary as public transport is not very good. Lahaina is a very busy part of the island with a lot of traffic and not very good signage for some beaches and points of interest but the hotel staff were very helpful with providing information where needed.

Room tip: Choose an oceanview or partial oceanview room.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank angel810

I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback in regards to your recent stay. I am pleased you found your room to be very clean and comfortable. We do have a resort fee at our property. This fee covers the use of several different amenities throughout the resort. I am pleased you found the hotel staff to be very helpful. Your feedback is very important as we use this to continue and improve the service offered to our valued guests. Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Maui. I hope we can welcome you back to our resort the next time your travel brings you to Maui. Mahalo!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband & I stayed here for our honeymoon, and couldn't have picked a better spot! From when we first arrived we were greeted with a lei greeting and due to our Platinum level with Hyatt were upgraded to an Ocean Front room, with amazing views! Also the Regency club here is great, lots of fresh options for breakfast and appetizers later in the evening. The only downfall of this resort is the lack of great beach; walk down Kaanapali near the Sheraton for a great beach to spend the day and lots of great snorkeling at Black Rock.

Room tip: Ocean Front room if possible in the main Building
Date of stay: May 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Krissy M
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

I am thrilled you chose to spend your honeymoon at our resort! It is great to hear from the moment you arrived you were greeted by our amazing staff with a lei. I am glad you found your ocean front room to be outstanding. It sounds like you really enjoyed the Regency Club and found the offerings to be great. Thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback with us. I hope we can welcome you back to our resort in the future!