“Beware of Construction! "Obstructed" View is Misleading!”

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was my third stay at this resort, and most likely my last! I booked 2 rooms through a travel website, not directly through the Hyatt. Nowhere in my booking was I informed that the "Obstructed" view I was booking was actually overlooking a tremendous construction project which will be ongoing until late 2014! The main page on the actual Hyatt website for this property, at the time of my check in, indicated "EXTENSIVE RENOVATIONS COMPLETED AT HYATT REGENCY MAUI RESORT AND SPA" (This wording has now been removed from the page) What would you think if you saw that wording? That there was no construction going on at the hotel at this time, right? Well you're wrong and so was I! There's plenty of construction going on at the Hyatt! Dear Hyatt; OBSTRUCTED view means you are looking at another building NOT overlooking a major construction pit full equipment, noise and dust! FYI they are building a Time Share building in what used to be their parking lot.

Before even being shown to our rooms we asked to speak with the manager. We worked out a deal where our rooms would be moved. Perfect, right? Until Monday morning when construction at the pool started! For the remainder of our trip we listened to loud tile saws from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm! Tile guys constantly walked past us with wheelbarrows full of material. Then on Thursday they started installing scaffolding in their atrium area for a painting project. From our room we had stereo nail guns pounding in the atrium area and tile saws around the pool! No amount of Mai Tai's could take that headache away!

We spoke with so many other guest who were celebrating major milestones; birthdays, honeymoons & anniversaries! Who had saved their hard earned money and sacred vacation time to spend it in paradise only to be blindsided by horrific construction! I actually feel like the Hyatt stole from them their precious vacation time! It's not cheap to stay in Hawaii in June, or any time for that matter, and I know I would have picked another property if I'd known about the massive amount of construction going on at this time! We did complain numerous times to the front desk staff. They did their best to compensate for the construction (free resort fees & valet parking,) but they can't give me back my peace of mind nor the time or money spent on this vacation. Linda, Amanda & Scott are doing the best they can after being thrown under the bus by bad information from corporate websites!

And a note about housekeeping; I observed them spending more time on their cell phones instead of actually cleaning! One day we returned at 3:00pm to find the maid outside our room on her phone and our room hadn't been touched yet!

The major construction project is a new Time Share building. What the property actually needs is a complete renovation! The rooms are beyond old! Popcorn on the ceilings, beat up doors inside the units, wall paper pealing off the walls, filthy yellowed light switches, old grimy door knobs. The common area bathrooms in the main building are old and run down. The walkway to the restroom through the pool grotto is foul and smells like mold! It's sad to see what used to be one of the best resorts on Kaanapali so run down with deferred maintenance. Based on some of the projects it looks like maybe they are finally going to do something about this. However the Hyatt needs to be honest with people before we make our reservations so we know exactly what we are in for! There is no room in paradise for the sound of pounding nails & blazing saws unless we are given the choice to choose those noises!

TIP - If you decide to stay here, do spend a day in the spa away from the construction noise. The spa is very nice and relaxing! The breakfast buffet is typical and pricey. The area where it's served needs a remodel as well! It's sticky and grimy!

Room Tip: Book a room in the Lahaina Tower as it is farthest from the construction!
5  Thank Lisatini1013
HyattHotelGirl, Manager at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Aloha Lisatini,
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel after staying with us in our obstructed view room. I see that not all information might have been passed on to you as to what kind of room you would have and red flags go up to us! We want to try and divulge that this is a room overlooking the adjacent property under construction and would like to hear more about whom you booked through so we can make sure to correct any midleading description... and hear some more feedback about your stay. Our Assistant Director of Rooms, Nick Francis is available by e-mail at nick.francis@Hyatt.com.
My apologies for such a disappointing stay. I hope you'll reach out to us so we can take some more of your feedback and take appropriate actions. Warmest Alohas, Kressa

Write a ReviewReviews (6,736)

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Greeted w/ Lei's. Amazing staff. Very accommodating. We were in the far east tower that over looked the pool. It was an amazing view. Every night we saw the sunset. The morning brunch was amazing. The staff so friendly. We had our business convention here as well. The meeting rooms were nice and cool. We had our own Luau. And the food was so beautifully prepared. I was also on my honeymoon. So the hotel had a bottle of wine and dessert prepared one night when we went back to our room. It was amazing. I would stay here again in a heart beat.

Room Tip: I had the top east room facing the pool so that we could see the sunset every night. Amazing.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Thank you for your recommendation it is our biggest compliment! It is fantastic to hear that you had a memorable experience at our resort. I am glad your room was perfect and you found the staff to be very friendly. It sounds like you had a successful honeymoon and business meeting. Your thoughtful feedback is greatly appreciated. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the future!

The POSITIVE:
Regency Club Staff was excellent, breakfast, snacks, evening snacks, and desserts...all excellent. Clean, comfortable rooms. Cleaning staff seems to work hard to keep fresh towels and clean room. Fantastic pool and the waterslide was awesome...had a great time with my wife and kids in the pool.

The NEGATIVE:
Reservation and Room: Booked this vacation almost a year ago as a Platinum member. Was given a room with Partial Ocean view. The ocean was only visible from the balcony and only if you stood on the left side and sort of leaned over. First thing I did after dropping my suitcase was go out on the balcony and to my dismay , I was staring at two workers on suspended scaffolds painting the side of the building. Bogus advertising! Figured they would be done in a day or so but after third day...NOT, so asked for an Oceanview and it was granted for an upcharge! As a Platinum member you automatically get a 2pm late checkout. Most hotels offer a hospitality suite where you can shower and change if you have a late flight returning to the mainland. Hyatt Maui does NOT offer this and even charged me an additional $75 for three hours. They didn't offer to see if they needed the room or anything, just a straight out $75 charge.
Parking: Previous reviews cited the incredibly small spaces and it is true. You can barely fit your car in those spaces...had to let family out first or else risk dinging doors. Interesting that Valet spaces were the normal size. Must be a concerted effort by management to maximize parking fee income or encourage folks to use more expensive Valet service.
Construction: Yes, everywhere and no mention on the hotel website. Building a tower next door, painting the exterior of the main hotel in various places and pool tile was being replaced. Some hammering, nice fresh grout clouding the water in some places, etc.
Food: Outrageously expensive.....example at pool, 2 smoothies, two small tacos, basket of fries, two "foo foo" drinks, nachos. Cost was almost $80! My first clue about prices, is they don't even list them on the menus posted on the outside of any restaurant. You have to actually ask for a menu inside the restaurant.
Staff: All staff were generally nice but could tell they have been instructed to maximize profit by offering NO upgrades.
Pool: Awesome minus the construction. Did have to insist they stop letting people reserve chairs at 0630. They have a sign that staff will remove items after chairs have been vacant for 60 minutes but no one enforces the rule. Human behavior is an interesting thing....I watched some idiot create his own island at 0630 in the morning by moving all the chairs away from him and the four lounges he laid towels on under one of the large straw umbrellas. After 3 hours of him not being there, I tossed his shoes onto other chairs. Towels are laid out on 60 percent of the chairs by 0700 and there is not a soul in the pool.
Restaurants: Again food was outrageous expensive but that is halfway expected, you are in Hawaii! The part that was upsetting is several times the entire restaurants would be closed for private functions. Seriously, money must talk no matter how inconvenient you make it for the other 799 guests who flew to Hawaii and wanted to enjoy all the amenities of your resort.
Overall Hotel Condition: Very dated....no I don't need a 400 square foot bathroom...but this resort is seriously dated. I wouldn't return for free (points) much less pay $400-$500 a night for a room. This resort is only deserving of 3 stars simply because it is in Maui and on the beach.
Recommendation: We were spoiled by the Hyatt in Kauai! Everything about it was awesome when we stayed there two years ago. Stay there if you want a good value for your hard earned points and/or cash!
All my business companions are Hilton Club members........now I kind of see why.

Room Tip: Don't fall for the partial ocean view (there is not one unless on the balcony and standing in on...
6  Thank Frank R

Aloha Frank,

I'm saddened to see so many negatives notes over the course of your stay. Although you highlight some of your main disappointments, we'd love to hear more about your stay are any suggestions you might have on how we can encourage other Platinum members, such as yourself to feel more welcome. Our Assistant Director of Rooms, Nick Francis can be reached at nick.francis@hyatt.com and is eager to hear from you.
Mahalo for the time to leave us a review. I'm hoping we can make your next stay with us incredible!
Warmest Alohas, Kressa

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is definitely more of a family resort. The pool is boisterous and busy. The lobby and grounds are filled with animals that are great for young kids to be entertained with. From tropical birds to penguins and koi. The negatives are that there is no real beach to speak of, you can sit on the lawn but to sit on the beach you have to walk a ways down towards black rock if you want an area that kids can get in the ocean and enjoy. Also the pool is crowded with little shade and the pool side service is very limited if thats something you are looking for. On the other hand the rooms are clean and quiet with nice views. The gym is great with plenty of equipment. The hotel is located in an area that has a nice walking path so you can get out and try other dining options. Also a very nice and rare option is there is a convenience store inside the hotel that you can buy drinks. snacks, sunscreen etc for a more reasonable price. Also there are laundry facilities on the main floor so you can wash you beach and gym clothes before heading home. As always the Hawaiian hospitality is warm, welcoming, and extremely helpful. If you can stay at this resort for a reasonable price I would stay again.

Room Tip: You will spend very little time if your room. The non-ocean view rooms have a nice view of the hills...
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Nice hotel but certainly not worth a five star rating - a four would pull this up. Rooms clean and comfortable, quite a good size and cleaned and refreshed every day. Renovations going on around the pool area with the spa being upgraded which was very noisy. Breakfast was quite okay with a reasonable variety of food but sometimes there was a long line up to be seated. I also didn't like the fact that birds were flying in and out of this open plan restaurant. Something to be aware of is that this hotel group like to put in extra charges where they can. A 'resort fee' of $15 per room per day is charged for guests to use 'hotel facilities' which was one small bottle of water on arrival, a local newspaper every day, free wifi and use of the pool (which was lovely). We were also charged $14 a day to park our rented car in an outdoor car park. These fees are ridiculous and a complete rip off! The location of the hotel is about 45 minutes from the airport so a rental car is necessary as public transport is not very good. Lahaina is a very busy part of the island with a lot of traffic and not very good signage for some beaches and points of interest but the hotel staff were very helpful with providing information where needed.

Room Tip: Choose an oceanview or partial oceanview room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank angel810

I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback in regards to your recent stay. I am pleased you found your room to be very clean and comfortable. We do have a resort fee at our property. This fee covers the use of several different amenities throughout the resort. I am pleased you found the hotel staff to be very helpful. Your feedback is very important as we use this to continue and improve the service offered to our valued guests. Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Maui. I hope we can welcome you back to our resort the next time your travel brings you to Maui. Mahalo!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband & I stayed here for our honeymoon, and couldn't have picked a better spot! From when we first arrived we were greeted with a lei greeting and due to our Platinum level with Hyatt were upgraded to an Ocean Front room, with amazing views! Also the Regency club here is great, lots of fresh options for breakfast and appetizers later in the evening. The only downfall of this resort is the lack of great beach; walk down Kaanapali near the Sheraton for a great beach to spend the day and lots of great snorkeling at Black Rock.

Room Tip: Ocean Front room if possible in the main Building
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Krissy M
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

I am thrilled you chose to spend your honeymoon at our resort! It is great to hear from the moment you arrived you were greeted by our amazing staff with a lei. I am glad you found your ocean front room to be outstanding. It sounds like you really enjoyed the Regency Club and found the offerings to be great. Thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback with us. I hope we can welcome you back to our resort in the future!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I will take some time writing this review as I read so many before going to get ideas and tips for our trip and they really helped. We had stayed here over 20 years ago and it has updated and changed some since we were last here which is to be expected.

The hotel has beautiful landscaping and birds, fish, swans etc...everywhere. It is a very relaxing atmosphere. The rooms are nice and updated. Yes, there is some construction but it doesn't bother other parts of the hotel and they are only there during the times guest SHOULD be out at pool or beach etc.....it was not a problem at all for us. The added rooms does make me wonder where those extra guest will be going for pool and breakfast as the pool is already full and there are lines for the AMAZING buffet at Swan Court already....Not sure how that will work. I had read and I agree that you need to be down to eat at Swan Court before 8 or you will wait in a line..we were always there early and didn't have to wait .They do move people in and out quickly but it is nice to take your time and enjoy your breakfast and watch the birds and swans....such a wonderful place to start the day.
Here are my trip tips:
1) RENT A CAR! They are very reasonable at the airport. Order online from home.
2) Thru the hotel:
A-Set up to do the "Sunset trip to Haleakala " with the Maui Downhill (there are a few tour companies so pick the Maui Downhill one....AMAZING....ask the front desk for "heavy blankets for the sunset tour" and they will loan you some...you WILL need them as at the top is 30 degrees and you will be up there a few hours. ...then take an amazing ride down on a bicycle...all downhill and really easy and nice ride. They only allow you to bike part of the way down. (pick up the blankets and return them to the front desk...they were really nice to loan them to us)
B-Sign up for the "Tour of the Stars" which is up on the roof of the hotel each night. You can do 8pm or 9pm. They have 2 massive telescopes up there and the astronomy guy will show you Saturn and the moon, Southern Cross, constellations, etc.....what a great thing this was! Fee is 20.00 or 25.00 per person. You will learn soooo much and it is worth the effort to go up.
C-You can sign up for the "Road to Hana"....we did this years ago....the road is very long and twist so if you get car sick DON'T go on this. This is really more hype and can be skipped, but fun...people that go say they did it once and glad but wouldn't go again...I agree....not really time or money well spent.
D-If you want to snorkel and haven't before and want some help and a day trip. Book with the Pacific Whale Foundation. It is a day trip from about 7am-2pm or so.For this you will have to drive and meet the boat down in Lahaina about 15 min away. They will give you a breakfast and also a nice grilled lunch. The boat goes out to the west side of Lanai to snorkel. They provide all the gear and will give a little crash course on how to snorkel and they watch everyone to make sure all are safe so it is a very good environment for anyone unsure or with kids wanting to learn....I would NOT take small children under 6 or so. The actual snorkel time is about 1 1/2 hours in the water.
3) Snorkel! Drive about 4-5 minutes up the street to Maui Dive Shop and rent really nice snorkel gear for 25.95 a week! They are directly across from Safeway. They will give you maps and info on the area. If you want to snorkel any time of day go to Honolua Bay which is about 20 minutes away. You will see eel, turtles and many fish etc. The "beach" is large rocks so rent chairs or take towels to sit on. Pack a lunch so you can stay and snorkel longer....you will want to stay!
4) Go to Safeway which is about 4-5 minutes away and get waters, snacks, sunblock etc...anything you need.
5) Know that the sun is much stronger than on the mainland and you will use far more sunblock than you think you will need...buy more!
6)When you check in they will give you a "towel card". You take the towel card to the towel booth and he will give you a towel...YOU CAN ASK FOR MORE THAN 1 TOWEL WITH YOUR CARD! You must turn in the towel cards when you check out or you will be charged.
7)There is food/drink service at the pool.....Two things to say...the pool service is HORRIBLE and VERY SLOW! The food is "okay". When they finally bring out what you ordered they won't take your dishes or empty glasses unless you ask...otherwise they leave it all laying around and then blowing off the little tables and all over the ground....so ASK them to take any trash you have!
8) YES, as all the other reviews say...the pool is CROWDED with chairs and not near enough shade areas or umbrellas....they are also working on the edges of the pool and they have done a great job keeping it "out of sight" but you can still hear the work going on. There is music everyday by the pool. We went over to the kids pool to use the slide and it needed to have all the leaves cleared out. The whole pool area needs some management help. They do have a very small beach where you can rent an umbrella with 2 lounge chairs for 40.00 per day....you pay right at beach side and the guy there is wonderful.
9)The guys out front are soooo nice and helpful with luggage and cars and such.
10)The front desk staff is wonderful and helpful too!
11)Walk (20min) or drive to Whalers Village to eat and shop. Eat at "Leilani's on the Beach" and the "Hula Grill".
12) Go to down town Lahaina on "Front Street" for lots of boutiques and shopping and to eat. Try "Lahaina Fish Co" or "Hard Rock" (for teens)
13) So there is some "orange" bottle you can buy there at the hotel somewhere and then they will refill free during your stay...? I read that and saw people with the bottles...don't know where they bought them or what they are filled with...probably worth checking into.
14) If you like sushi eat at the Japengo at the Hyatt....AMAZING fish and sushi and great service...worth the price!
15) Improvements for hotel: Give a "welcome packet" at check in with all the details that guest are finding out about thru here on trip advisor! Like the orange bottles that can be refilled or the fish feeding schedule for little ones to watch and enjoy and the tour of the starts which is wonderful. The hotel has many things to offer that are word of mouth and you might miss out on. CLEAN up the pool...the staff needs training on how to work the pool area....if they see empty containers....TAKE THEM.....if they are bringing a fresh drink to a guest...take away the old one....very simple really....trash sitting around is bad....I called twice from pool and didn't get it solved. I just wanted to get a trash bag and walk around and clean it up myself!
16) I would stay here again and again....LOVE IT!
I hope this helps you and you have a great vacation. I listed some restaurant names so you can look them up and read reviews before heading out on your trip....do your homework and it will make your vacation easier! Check Tripadvisor.com for reviews on all these things I have mentioned for more help.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kylie K
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review. I am pleased that you had an excellent return to our resort. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of a variety of activities and amenities we have to offer at the resort. I am glad you enjoyed the Tour of the Stars. I will be sure to pass your feedback regarding the pool service with our management team. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We use our guests comments to continue and improve our overall guest satisfaction. Thank you for your recommendation. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the future. Mahalo!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!