“Website does not do it justice...”

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 1, 2013

My boyfriend and l stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Maui for 3 nights at the end of Jan and we thought it was amazing. As soon as we walked in we were stunned by how beautiful the hotel is. The staff were so friendly and helpful and smiled every time you passed them. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The exterior of the hotel that backs the beach is breathtaking - the website does not do justice to how stunning the pool/beach area is, let alone the rest of the resort. There is even a water slide (a big kids one AND a little kids one). We were so impressed from the beginning to the end of our stay and would definitely visit again if we have the chance. The only negative of our stay was that the hotel is quite isolated from the town and all shops so if you don't have a car (we didnt) it makes it hard and expensive going to and from the restaurants. However, it is a relaxing atmosphere so this isolation may be a positive to some!

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank Jaabs
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Aloha Lucy C!

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Maui! We're glad you had such a memorable stay with us. Our employees will be recognized for providing excellent customer service. It's great to hear how relaxing your stay was. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to Hawaii. Your referral is greatly appreciated!

Mahalo!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed at The Hyatt for our one week honeymoon (got married on Oahu).
Since we were honeymooners Jeff from the reception gave us a bunch of free stuff (never wrong..) and a roomupgrade for a few bucks extra :) He also invited us to a culinery class for all the honeymooners.
The room was pretty, big, clean and had a great view!
The hotell had penguins and flamingoes!! That was one of the reasons why we chose it..
It had 3 restaurants, a cafe, lots of shops, georgeous pools and landscaping, a luau place, a golf course and much more..
The breakfast was SUPERB! There was a line every day, but when we first got to sit down at Swan Cort (one of the restaurants) and eat excellent breakfast, it was worth it!
We also tried breakfast at Umalu, also great!! Remember to buy a "bottomless soda", so worth it!
I have to say that this place is more for tourists that wants a hotel vacation.. It's way too expencive if you're hardly there, like us.. But since it was our honeymoon, we wanted a really fancy hotel..
The Hyatt was about a 30 minute drive from the airport, and a short drive to Lahaina (the city). You HAVE TO rent a car if you're staying on Maui! You will need it to get around! That is if you're not staying at the resort for the entire trip ;)
A funny thing.. The hotel has a beachline.. No one uses the beach.. So if you're like us (rather swim in the ocean than the pools..) you will have the beach almost to yourself ;)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MajorSL
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

I am honored that you chose to spend your special occasion at our resort! I’m glad that Jeff was able to take care of you during check in. It sounds like you really enjoyed the breakfast at both Swan Court and Umalu. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. I’m thrilled we were able to make for a memorable experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort on your next visit to Maui. Mahalo!

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Very spacious room with decent amenities. Staff were good, parking was an irritant and not well coordinated. Well run. I didn't find the restaurants to be flexible, but the room itself was very nice, comfortable and well maintained.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Terrence C
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I really felt like I was in paradise when I stepped foot into this hotel. You can hear the tropical birds chirping, they have swans swimming in their man made ponds, lots of tropical trees and plants and the view of the ocean.

Although we were upgraded to a suite, I thought our room was pretty small. The balcony was pretty small but we still had an ocean view. I can't complain.

The food at this Hyatt Regency Club was not that great. They seemed to serve the same things daily and the breads did not seem fresh. But having the Regency Club was very convenient because we would get water and milk for the family.

I was disappointed the beach wasn't as extensive. The first day I was intimidated by the waves so I didn't let my kids go in the water. By the second day we were frolicking in the water and we were fine. The water was not as warm as I had hoped but I think it was bearable for December.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at our resort. I’m glad that you felt like you were in paradise from the moment you arrived. I will share your comments regarding the Regency Club offerings with our management team. I hope that we can have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort again in the future!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

It is a pity this property employs such a shady tactic because I liked staying there. The hotel is a bit old but well run. But there is this game the play with price. Let's start with the base price I was quoted and book via Tripadvisor and then Hotwire: USD 205. When you get there they explain a "Resort Fee" will be added to your bill: USD 26 (incl. tax.) Next is they ask you if you have a car. Given this hotel is 40m from the airport and a good four miles from the next decent restaurant, odds are you will have a car. Bingo, "Self Parking Fee": add USD 14. Allright, you are happy to be in your room. You unpack and head to the beach. Luckily, a lot of sun. But, hey, barely any shaded area (unless you sit in the restaurant or bar area: food bill.) So you ask for an umbrella on the beach. Did I hear "resort fee". Yes, but this does not mean you'll get your beach chair and umbrella. This'll set you back: USD 80. At the end of the day we didn't pay USD 205 but USD 325 or almost 60% more. This is off course before any food (incl. breakfast which will beef up your bill by another 30-80 for two.) Bottom line, we liked staying there but didn't like to be taken advantage of. Left a bad taste in the mouth.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank brotherdrum

I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at our property. I’m disappointed to hear that your stay was less than ideal. We do advise on our website of the daily resort fee and parking fee so our guests are aware of these charges. I hope that we can have another opportunity in the future to welcome you back to Hyatt.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is a fabulous resort with a great staff! Rooms are okay with really nice bedding and the rooms are always very clean. When picking the car up from the valet staff they never failed to ask if I needed directions....nice personal touch. Sunz at Swan Court is a great place to begin the day with breakfast. World class view! The only downside to our stay was the lack of service from the girls taking drink/food orders around the pool. They were very understaffed and one girl was just plain rude. Having said that, the pool complex is wonderful. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: If possible, spend a little more to get a Full ocean view. The partial ocean view overlooks a parki...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Curt N
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

I really appreciate that you took the time to share your recent experience with us. I’m glad that you had an excellent stay and that you found the staff to be great. I will be sure to share your comments regarding the service in the pool area with our management team. Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. I hope we can welcome you back in the future. Mahalo!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I was there this past January and stayed for 5 days. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous. The attention to detail throughtout the hotel as fabulous. The employees who work there couldn't be more helpful and i was very pleased. The pool area was magnificant and never had to wait to long for a cocktail waitress to come by and take my order (drank a lot of Mai Tais) . The room was ok nothing special however I opted for a oceanfront room and view of the ocean was spectacular. I highly recommend it. Even saw a couple of whates. All in all it was truely wonderful.

Room Tip: If you can afford it the view from the ocean front room it outstanding
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jackfrost23
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us. It's amazing to hear you had a fantastic time and that our staff made you feel right at home. We're pleased you enjoyed our beautiful oceanfront views. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Chrissi B.- A Guest Relations Associate

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!