“Tropical paradise!”

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We spent 3 days at the Hyatt Regency Resort and Spa! What an incredible place! The center, connecting atrium and the surrounding grounds are beautiful! I enjoyed walking around the path from the Umalu to our tower, seeing the plants, ponds, birds, little waterfalls, and pool areas. The room was nice, with the little balcony. We had a great time at the luau. The service was great. I would recommend this place to anyone. The one drawback is if you are in the Napili tower, it is a little walk to anything else, as the the dining places are on the other side of the complex.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DianeMG50
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa for your recent visit. It is fantastic to read that you had an amazing experience at our resort. It sounds like you really enjoyed the atrium and found the landscaping and surroundings to be beautiful. I’m glad that you were able to attend the Drums of the Pacific luau. This is a great show that is sure to please everyone in attendance. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. I hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to Maui. Mahalo!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a 2 nights. The hotel property was very nice and well manicured. You could find South African penguins on the property. The staff at the front desk were really nice and the bellman that led us to the room showed us the wildlife and made us feel at home. They provided leis for my husband and I since we were there on our honey moon. We were supposed to receive a bottle of champagne for our stay because we were there on our honey moon. This service was provided even though we purchased via priceline, however I don't believe it ever arrived. Also, there was a very annoying drilling going on across the hall from us all day on the second day because of some sort of construction. I still rate the hotel high because of the people at the hotel made it enjoyable. I didn't try the restaurant or spa.

Room Tip: We called the hotel ahead of time and requested a king bed.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susie D
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have stayed at the Hyatt on 3 separate occasions. The service is excellent, the property high end, and the location ideal to see the north end of maui. An unexpected surprise was the snorkeling just south of the hotel at the public beach. We saw more fish and turtles with a short walk than with the usual drive to "undiscovered places". And no people there - they all stayed in front of the hotel. A step up from the famous Black Rock.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms are great and generally just the surf in the background - but if you are near...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Richard R
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. It's great to hear you had a wonderful stay in Maui. We're pleased you enjoyed the snorkeling and the beautiful sea creatures. We look forward to your next stay.

Chrissi B.- A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Alas, I am late in my reviewing this hotel. My husband and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Maui on September 11-18, 2012 for our 30 year anniversary. We had stayed there 5 years ago for our 25th and really enjoyed it. I'm going to be honest and say that we were a little disappointed this time. We love Maui, but after having stayed at the Barcelo Los Cabos Palace Deluxe in May, I guess it's pretty sad when a Mexico hotel outshines an American one.

The check in was easy and Jennifer at the front desk made us feel welcomed. Our oceanfront room was located in the the Atrium Tower (last time we had stayed in the Lahaina Tower), and found the convenience of getting to the lobby, pool area, Japengo Restaurant, and parking valet very appealing. The room overlooked the Japengo Restaurant and the ocean. We found ourselves sitting out on our balcony more than we had expected. We would grab a coffee,fruit, and rolls at the Halona Kai (before we hit the fabulous gym they have) and enjoy them on our balcony in the morning and again in the evenings sit out on the balcony with our drinks.

Unfortunately, the first night around 3am to 6am, I was woken up by piped in music coming from the restaurant area. It was annoying and I did not get a good nights sleep. The next morning, I went to the front desk and Jennifer was there. I explained about the music being loud and ill-timed,and she said that she would look into it. She took my cell number, and as my husband and I were enjoying breakfast, she called me to tell me that the music mistakenly went on with a timer and she apologized. She offered another room in the Lahaina Tower, but I did not want to pack up all my things again. She said that the problem would be attended to and it was.

The only other complaint that I can make, is that I do not like the platform beds that the Hyatt uses. I remembered their comfortable beds with box springs was one of the reasons I wanted to stay there again. I was surprised that the king size bed was not very comfortable for me and too low to the ground.

We did enjoy the Japengo Restaurant for our first night's dinner. Staff was great and treated us with a free dessert for our anniversary. The hotel left a bottle of wine in our room for us which we took with us to Kimo's restaurant (one of the few places that will allow wines brought in and offer corkage fee).

As mentioned by other reviewers, the pool area is crowded. You have to stake out a chair early in the am or you will be hard pressed to find one later, especially if you need shade. I enjoyed the pool and slide and the pool service was top notch. We found ourselves also eating lunch a few times at the Umalu Restaurant near the pool area. The bar offers drink specials from 11am to 12noon and again from 3 pm to 4pm.

The hotel is very clean and we always saw the maid service on our floor. Also the staff constantly cleaned the lobby, hallways and glass windows. I did have to ask for a magnifying makeup mirror as I was surprised that the room did not have one.

We ate breakfast twice in Swan Court which we always enjoy. We've had their buffet before, but decided on the a la carte menu which actually was quicker to get because the buffet area was crowded both times. Any time after 8am, there is a long line forming to get into the restaurant.

The beach area is slowly coming back but it has quite a challenge getting to the beautiful beach area just a few steps past the Marriot resort. We walked along the beach to Whaler's Village a few times and enjoyed a swim in the ocean in front of the Kaanapali Ali property. The walkway from the Hyatt to the Whaler's Village and/or the Sheraton is lovely and great exercise.

As also mentioned, the extra fees are a negative for us. We figured we spent an extra $300 on resort fees, $12 valet parking daily, and it ultimately jumps the cost of this vacation up.

Would we stay again at the Hyatt? I don't really know. If you are used to staying at 3 star hotels, you will love this property, but a 5 star resort it is not. I would consider either the Four Seasons, or the Ritz Carlton next time.

I did take photo's of this hotel. I am having trouble this time with uploading them on tripadvisor. Will keep trying.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms a must. Worth it. Atrium tower is preferred.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had already been in Maui for 3 nights but loved it so much we wanted to stay on for a few more nights. We booked through a discounted website and drove to the Hyatt. From the moment my husband pulled the car up to the hotel, we were well looked after. I know it is their jobs, but the staff were so very friendly and professional, a great asset to Hyatt. Our car was taken to be parked and our bags were ready for to be taken to our room. When we checked in the lady at reception asked if theis was a special vist to which I told her it was our Honeymoon. She congratulated us and presented us with some shell necklaces, a photo album & complimentary drinks at any of the hotel bars or restaurants. She also upgraded our room! We did not expect any of this & I really think these little touches, they are so nice & make people feel special. The talking parrots, the penguins, amazing food & oh my gosh the pina colada's...it all together made for a wonderful few days! Can't wait to return!!

Room Tip: any facing the sea!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to share your wonderful experience. It's great to hear our staff went above your expectations to ensure your honeymoon was memorable. We will be sure to pass your compliments on to our staff. Thank you for choosing us as your honeymoon destination.

Chrissi B.- A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had a couple day layover so i didn't stay in a condo. I always stay in a condo while in Maui, which gives you an option to cook for yourself. Well, this is a nice place to stay. Nice open area in between the building. The Building is a donut shape. The nice plants and penguins are a fun thing to visit. Very large pool with a nice food court eating area under a large overhang. Swan resturant, a bit high price, but beautiful view. Nice shops for my wife to visit, Macy's, Na Ko jewelery and of course Maui Hands. Also, a sundry shop at the end of the shops too. The Hyatt is located at the south end of Kaanapli beach, Very nice place

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mr R
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This ia one of the nicest hotels we've ever stayed! There just aren't any disappointments! But - that almost always comes with a price. Be prepared to spend alot even after you've paid for your stay. Have an extra $100 per day for tips & incidentals. And you can expect to pay$18 for a cheeseburger. But the food is great!

• Stayed: November 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#19 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!