“"poor follow up but beautiful place"” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seoul, South Korea
“"poor follow up but beautiful place"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed with Hyatt about a month ago. Beautiful place to stay. My husband and I went to honeymoon about a month ago and I stayed with Hyatt. We were very excited to come to Maui and staying with beautiful place like Hyatt. (Hyatt has very good reputation in Korea. It is very luxury hotel and very service oriented)
We went to do some activity and came back to my room and I realized our money that we brought it from Korea was gone. We left it on the table and it was in white old envelope, and it was worth about $1000 in America. We were very nervous and started looking everywhere to find it but we had no luck. We ended up with calling security but it was hard for us to communicate. Luckily there was Korean manager who worked in the hotel. I believe his name is Erik. He assisted security guys and they were looking for money but still had no luck.Erik explained this doesn't happened in Hyatt and he apologized for inconvenience and he said security will contact housekeeper in case it got mixed up with trash or towels.
Next day, my husband and I were waiting for response. But no one follow up with us and told us what was going on with this incident. We were very disappointed. I understand that it was our fault to leave the money on top of table instead of cage box, but i thought at least someone would tell us what is going on. with frustration we were having lunch in Umelu? restaruant. That is the time when Erik came and turn everything around. He was asking us if we found money or if we got any call from security or housekeeping. We told him no and started telling him about our frustration. Erik said "it is not exceptional, there must be miscommunication. I will find out what's going on and i will be right back with you." After 30 minutes he came back, and explained us that housekeeping or security couldn't find anything. He apologized be half on the hotel, then he started entertaining us, bought us lunch and sent wine to our room.
I am not here to complain about my money, and I am not planning to get it back. What I want to mention to you is Hyatt is known for best service hotel in Asia but not here for sure... But after Erik came and helped us, I felt like I was back in Hyatt which is known for best service oriented hotel. I also work in the hotel industry in Korea, and that's what exactly you need to serve guest. He is the best guy you can get, I wouldn't come back if Erik isn't there. But just because of him I will give word to my friends and I will also re considerate to come back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jinah l

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,298)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

I recently honeymooned here. The staff were all so lovely, the pool area was very nice, beach area wasn't great. We had to pay more for a room with a view and it was worth it as they allocated us a room overlooking the car park. Not generous with free upgrades for honeymoons, everyone is on there honeymoon. Lol. Would recommend.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Nicole1000:

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. Congratulations on your recent wedding and honeymoon celebration. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed relaxing by our fantastic swimming pools. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for many anniversary celebrations to come!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

I visited here for my 40th Birthday.
The hotel itself is huge, the grounds are well kept & the hotel is thoughtfully furnished.
Our room was a std room with a balcony. It was situated at the rear (360) our view was poor. We looked out upon a flat roof & got a lot of noise from the Luah arena. The room itself was a good size & was clean. Our maid started off well but as the we got towards the end of our trip the we noticed the daily room service was declining. Things weren't being washed (glasses etc), coffee machine wasn't being put away, surfaces weren't being dusted. No extra effort was made by the maid in our room on my birthday despite there beings cards & gifts in my room, a little disappointing. I think if you require any thing like that then you have to speak to the concierge & of course there is an additional charge.
The staff here are OK. I wouldn't say that they go over & above what's required off them generally. They just do the minimum that's required. In fact the friendliest & most hospitable team were at Breakfast.
The breakfast buffet was charged at $54 per day incl tax, quite expensive in my opinion. The selection was good, but it is all self service after all & breakfast items are generally low cost. You can walk along the beach to the right of the hotel & you will find a beachfront Starbucks which is great !
The bar staff at the Hyatt were amenable although if your tip wasn't what they expected they would soon make it clear. The waiting staff around Uhulu were poor in the evening. Very slow service, not at all engaging & twice we walked away as we felt ignored.
The pool area is what you'd expect from a large US chain, lots of sunbeds packed in side by side, but all in good condition. You could hire a parasol for the beach or a bed with a canopy but these were $40 +tax per day !
Parking is not included in your room rate, it was $14 per day to self park or £21 for valet. Not enough car parking spaces, it frequently took us around 20 mins to find an available space & we often drove around 3 car parks to do so.
The beach that this hotel is situated on is quite small, you cannot walk to the Black Rock area. Swimming in the sea is tricky due to reefs & rocks & the strong waves that break over them. Not much to see snorkelling from this beach.
We tried the scuba course which begins in the pool & would then enable you to dive off of the beach to see one of the other reefs a little further out. Our instructor yawned constantly during the theory discussion, checked his iphone frequently & generally seemed very distracted. My partner is a qualified PADI this was my first experience. I failed the pool part & felt genuinely disappointed that I couldn't go out.I wouldn't entirely blame the instructor for my failure but I think his instruction could have been better & perhaps a little more enthusiasm & interest in his pupils wouldn't go amiss. I mentioned a foot problem that I had when completing the questionnaire, the instructor showed no interest & asked no questions about it.
Overall I felt disappointed with the lack of personal service we received, if I visited Maui again I would stay in a smaller hotel with a bit more individual style.

Torrance, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I had booked the Hyatt Regency Lahaina with the expectation that it would be a touristy experience as I've been coming to Hawaii for over 30 years. This trip proved that this property is worthy of any serious traveler's consideration. The front-of-house staff is remarkably courteous, well-trained, and check-in was very efficient. Excellent concierge, too.

The property is expertly-maintained. The lush vegetation shows considerable care. Massive swimming pool.

Rooms were upscale, nicely-appointed and the beds were very comfortable. Excellent selection of restaurants, although a bit pricey, at least the food was generally very good.

I was able to book a room at the last moment for a very good price through Priceline.

You will enjoy your stay here. The staff is excellent, the grounds are immaculate, and the amenities, including shopping and restaurants, plentiful. Great for family with kids.

A real surprise with plenty of 'aloha' all-around. A hotel worthy of the "Regency" moniker.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Cami214
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Wow, thank you for providing such terrific feedback in regards to your recent stay at our resort! It’s great to read about your experience. It sounds like you really enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be very courteous and efficient. I’m glad that you found all the services and amenities to be top notch. We take great pride in our resort and want our guests to feel like they are in paradise. Your recommendation is our biggest compliment. Mahalo!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

If you are looking for a place for your honeymoon, I would not recommend the Kaanapali Beach area. We went in early October thinking there wouldn't be that many people, but we were wrong. Children were everywhere, too. The pool was always crowded and the basketball hoop in the pool meant noise. The pool is big and if you go in the afternoon (after 16:30), the area opens up, and it was more to our liking. The cabanas are available near the beach but they were closer to the kiddie pool. If you walk toward the gym, there is a small beach area where you could rent a lounge chair and umbrella. I did read beforehand that there was a fee for them, and that's correct as of October, 2012. It's really strange to me that the hotel would charge for lounge chairs and umbrellas. And the towel cards were kind of annoying. We never had a problem with them and we ended up getting more cards at the front desk so that we could put one towel on the chair and use the other to dry ourselves off, but it's just not classy. Wish Hyatt could figure something better out. And the wristband was tacky.

The gym was quite nice. It got busy around 16:30. It faces the beach so running on the treadmill with that view was a treat. The treadmill has a TV, too. There are many machines for your arms and legs so you can get a really good workout.

The room was fine although housekeeping was not consistent. One day, it was nice and clean, but the other day, the trash wasn't taken out and the floors were not vacuumed/swept. We always left generous tips so we were quite disappointed on days when housekeeping did not meet our expectations.

Mark, our bellman, was fantastic. He helped us to our room and when we realized that it near the elevator and ice machine, which we did not like, he immediately picked up the phone and got us changed to another room. He also gave us restaurant recommendations at Whalers Village. Unfortunately, we didn't end up going to the places he recommended but when we did pass by one of them, there were tons of people. If you are lucky enough to have him as your bellman, ask him about these restaurant recommendations.

The concierge was okay. One man was kind and helpful but the other lady was either lazy or did not like the fact that we wanted to book a luau that wasn't held at the Hyatt. We don't know what it was but when she called that luau, she told us that no tables were available. When we called ourselves after that, we were able to reserve a table right away. Not quite sure what happened there.

I had high expectations for Hyatt, but I need to remind myself and others that it's not Grand Hyatt or Park Hyatt. It's just Hyatt Regency and the service is mediocre. For honeymooners who are looking for peace and relaxation, this is not the hotel. In fact, avoid Kaanapali Beach hotels and look into Kapalua or on the east side. We loved Travassa.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator and ice machine. Also request to be on a higher floor. There a...
1 Thank Pumpkin_Cupcakes
cld6784, Manager at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Aloha and thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We're very sorry to hear about the difficulties you experienced during your stay at our hotel. We understand honeymoons are a very special time and hope the next time you come into our hotel you're able to experience the true Hyatt touch. I will share your comments with the appropriate staff members including your wonderful comments regarding Mark at our bell desk. Again, thank you and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Lincoln, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

This resort exceeded my expectations! The pool was extraordinary....an area specially designed for kids....Wonderful beach front...fabulous restaurants. The service was outstanding. We took advantage of the beach activities desk and learned to Snuba. We will definitely stay again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It brings a smile to my face to read about our guest’s positive experiences at our resort. I appreciate your comments about the amenities and the service you experienced. We have everything one could imagine at our resort. I’m thrilled to hear that you learned to scuba! Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. I hope we can welcome you and your family back to our resort in the future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Coconut Creek, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

We went to Maui for our honeymoon and we couldn't have picked a better place than the Hyatt Regency to spend our 9 days!!!! All the employees were super nice, we received complimentary leis at arrival and champagne in our room once they heard it was our honeymoon! I have trouble with really soft pillows and they quickly got me foam pillows. Housekeeping everyday was great! You can request to have your sheets changed daily if you'd like or if not they will change it every few days. We loved the robes that came in the room as well! We also loved that they had an empty fridge as well as a filled one. So instead of paying super expensive for their water we went out and bought a box of waters and filled our empty fridge with it! The Concierge/Activities were amazing as well!!! Monica is the lovely lady who helped us and gave us the BEST tips for the best activities for US! She was great!!!
The breakfast buffet is soooooo good!!!!!!! Its about $30 per person but you most likely will not need to have lunch the day you have breakfast here! Its so worth it!

Room Tip: Room 1727 was amazing!! 2 balconies, large corner room, love that the elevator went straight down in...
1 Thank larissa c
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your special trip. We're thrilled you had an amazing stay with us. It's great to hear Monica and our housekeeping staff was able to assist you with everything you needed. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Chrissi R.- A Guest Relations Associate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 31 in Lahaina
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Andaz Maui At Wailea

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!