“Very nice resort”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Odessa, Delaware, United States
“Very nice resort”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My family recently stayed at this resort for 4 nights. I found that most of the service was excellent except for a problem with my booking. There was a descrepency with the booking, and even though I showed what the travel agent gave me, I had to have a firm discussion at check-out. The problem was eventually resolved in my favor, just stinks that this had to happen while on vacation at a nice resort.

The resort is absolutely clean and beautiful. There are swans, penguins, fish, and parrots for the kids to enjoy watching. The pool area is spacious and open 24/7.

If you are looking for a nice beach, you will not find this at the resort. You will need to walk several resorts away to get a beach wide enough to enjoy. I normally would find this to be an issue, however, the resort had chairs positioned in a way that still gave good visualization of the ocean.

One tidbit of information that I think is important. Like most resorts, things are expensive. Frozen drinks were $14.00 prior to tip, corn on the cob $4.00, kids shaved ice was $6.00, and so were the hotdogs. I thought charging $10.00 for a daily pool float rental was crazy as well. I just told my kids that we would ride down the street to purchase extra snacks.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Kathy P
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Aloha Kathy P!

Thank you for going out of your way to share feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. We're delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the variety of wildlife at our resort, especially the penguins. It was our pleasure to have had the opportunity to host you and your family. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back for many more relaxing getaways.

Mahalo!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,318)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We have just stayed at the Hyatt as part of our honeymoon, for 8 nights, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Upon arrival we were informed we had access to the regency club, which was a rolling benefit as it provided a great breakfast spread and evening food too. On one occasion we did have breakfast at swab court which was nice, not amazing, and set us back $68 which we thought was rather expensive - thank goodness for the regency club!
The grounds of the hotel are fantastic, well kept, clean and very picturesque. We loved the pool, it was so large that it never really felt over crowded and we didn't have much problem locating sun beds each day.
We made full use of the happy hours throughout the day at Umalu as typically
the prices are rather high at all other
times.
Our room was very spacious but could do with a bit of a make over. We were disappointed that, despite our frequent requests, we were not given a larger bed (instead had two doubles, which were smaller than our bed at home - hardly the honeymoon room we would have hoped for). However apparently this was due to the hotel being fully booked for a conference during our stay.
The hotel is located on a pleasant part of ka'anapali beach, however just a few minutes stroll along the beach provides a more substantial sandy area. It is only a 10 min walk to the lovely whalers village with lots of nice shops and several good restaurants. We particularly enjoyed visiting Lahaina, which was relatively close and costs $15 each way from the hotel.
Overall we had a fabulous time in Maui and would recommend the Hyatt for
families and couples alike. It is a bit pricey, but what do you expect from an upscale hotel!?

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Lizhandley83
cld6784, Manager at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear Lizhandley83:
Congratulations on your recent nuptuals and for staying with the Hyatt Regency Maui on your honeymoon! It sounds like you really enjoyed the Regency Club, grounds at the hotel, pool, and guest room! I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the Hyatt Grand Bed in your guest room. We hope the next time you are on Maui, you choose HRM!
Mahalo!
Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 days on our honeymoon, after spending 5 days on Oahu. This hotel was perfect. Upon arrival we had complimentary valet service until midnight then we can choose to pay or self park. Since self park was just down the way we opted to save a little money and chose to self park. When we opened the door to our room, an oceanfront view, we couldn't believe the view and the huge balcony. It was heavenly waking up every morning seeing the palm trees and the ocean right out our window. We enjoyed many mornings and evenings sitting on the balcony and listening to live local music that was being played. Customer service was excellent, they gave us ideas of what to see on Maui and different places to eat around the island. The lobby is gorgeous and has penguins, various birds, swans, flamingos, koi fish and more.

We ended up eating at Umalu most days for lunch because the prices were very reasonable. We got room service one day since I had hurt my foot and had to stay off of it, and it came very quick and they brought all different condiments that we didn't have to ask for. My husband and I received a free breakfast buffet every morning, which we really enjoyed making our own omelets and all different types of food with hawaiian flare. We were given a complimentary bottle of champagne on our second night since we were on our honeymoon.

We went to the Drums of the Pacific luau which was spectacular. We had a great time watching the performances and it was so good, definitely would recommend this luau to anyone. The food was fantastic, the servers were amazing, it was a one of a kind experience. To anyone who is looking for a great night definitely go to this luau! We also did a night with the stars for couples, champagne and chocolate covered strawberries were provided. The guide works for NASA and it was amazing to hear all the details and his intelligence and love for what he does. The night was absolutely gorgeous and we were able to see so many stars and one of the most spectacular views we were able to see was the rings around saturn. This is definitely a must do when you visit, it was worth every penny spent, and again the guide was amazing, funny too!

We would definitely stay here again and hope we can revisit in the future!

Room Tip: The ocean front room is the way to go if you love waking up to a gorgeous view and want to relax mor...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Meghan P
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your honeymoon. We're thrilled you had a wonderful time at our hotel. It's great to hear you enjoyed the beautiful ocean views we offer. We're delighted you enjoyed our luau and the delicious food at Umalu. Please feel free to contact us if you need any future assistance. We look forward to your next stay.

Chrissi R.- A Guest Relations Associate
New York
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed in Hyatt's in Waikiki and Kaui before coming to Maui. The Waikiki upgraded our upgrade and both provided two free bottles of water everyday and additional benefits for being a Gold Card member. They also didn't charge us the daily resort fees, without us even asking. As for the Hyatt Maui, it is on the beach (though small), has amazing works of art and sculptures and is very clean. The staff was very helpful, especially Justin in the Concierge, who helped us plan an exciting sunset dinner cruise. Also, the pool staff helped us find lounges in the shade.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WlnutTchr
Aloha WlnutTchr:
We are delighted to hear you had a wonderful time on your Hawaiian vacation. Thank you for your comments regarding our art work and our concierge staff! We hope when you return to the Islands, you choose Hyatt Resorts Hawaii!
Geneva2009
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Location ok (close to a few golf courses) / about 1 hour from airport.
Pool usually crowded. Despite resort charge (usual rip-off) you pay for self parking, umbrellas, etc
breakfast excellent (buffest in swan garden). be careful when choosing room. go and check before you accept the room.
maid service mixed. however management takes care once you indicate problems.
all in all not hyatt standard, but for hawaii a good hotel for business and holidays.
Great fitness room (about 5 minutes walk from certain rooms).
Luau as usual in Hawaii overpriced (in particular as the food you get is very average...)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Geneva2009
Aloha Geneva2009:
Mahalo for your comments on your recent stay at the resort! We are glad to hear you enjoyed the breakfast buffet at Swan Court and the Spa Moana Athletic Club! We're sorry to hear that you felt our Luau was overpriced and have shared your feedback with our Food & Beverage staff. We hope to see you again in Maui soon!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This is a beautiful resort, with a lobby area to die for with little penguins swimming around and the parrots sitting amongst the trees and shrubs make it feel more like a tropical paradise than a hotel.
Rooms are clean and well maintained, we had a suite and were very pleased with it. Views out to the ocean were magnificent with another balcony to the side.
The pool area is clean, fun and well maintained and the staff were exceptionally helpful especially when I lost an item in the water one day. They went out of their way to help me find it despite it being a very busy day at the pool. Cant thank them enough, and I left good feedback for the staff concerned whilst I was there.
Breakfast is lovely and worth paying the extra for although queues can get a bit long at prime time. Choose to have breakfast really early or late to avoid this. The men operating the egg station deserve medals, consistently well presented/ tasty food, despite the huge demand, and they're friendly too.
Only reason i didn't give the hotel 5 out of 5 was for the checkin process. It was poor.
First impression, and we all know how that matters.........was arrival from Australia to finally reach destination and then have to wait in a 40 min queue to check in! There appeared to be many check in desks available but only 2 were staffed (and a special diamond service checkin desk) and the checkin process for each customer seemed to be the slowest I've ever encountered. it didn't help that to the side of the queue were 4-5 bellboy type staff standing doing nothing, just waiting to transport bags to rooms, but nobodies room appeared to be ready? TEACH THEM TO CHECK IN PLEASE
I know every hotel can have busy periods and I wouldn't have mentioned this except that EVERY time you went to speak to reception about anything, you had to be prepared for a long wait in a queue. So that part didn't feel like a 5 star experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Akh255060
Aloha Akh255060,
Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. It sounds like you had a great vacation enjoying our wildlife,guest rooms and views, and breakfast buffet! I'm sorry to hear about your experience at check in - I have shared your feedback with our Rooms Division.
London
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Its funny, but sometimes a nice experience can be marred (particularly in retrospect) by small things.
Average maybe isn't fair here - the Hotel itself is Very Good, but the below explains why I haven't rated the overall experience as that;

1. They charge you for self parking here. I mean, really?! They have acres and acres of space yet charge you to park a vehicle here knowing that you have no other choice once you've arrived. Its not a lot (I think $15 a day) but I found this instantly annoying, particularly as its not mentioned beforehand. I get paying for Valet but not self park - not in an already expensive Hotel. Weirdly - it MADE an expensive hotel seem cheap, and 'grabby'.

2. Breakfast. If you don't want to stuff yourself with endless buffets - forget it. There are 2 main restaurants. Both Buffets. We don't like a massive breakfast, particularly not when its hot - so the choice was either to pay $26 + tax for a bagel, each, at a buffet or join a big starbucks queue for their food (which a loathe and avoid at all costs). Again, not great. Why not just make one restaurant non-buffet. We avoided this in the end by going to the self service buffet and paying for one person and just taking the tray to our cabana. I don't mind at all paying for good food - we ate at some wonderful restaurants whilst on our trip - what I don't like is being needlessley ripped off - and this felt like it.

3. Cabanas. $70 a day with service - which is fine, pretty good actually. However - again - they used 2 servers - one for food and one for drinks - so you ended up having to constantly double tip. It sounds petty perhaps - but I felt like this Hotel was constantly trying to empty my wallet. If you don't keep an eye on them you could check out with a massive hole in that wallet! Food was good though - lots of choice. Drinks were expensive in comparison to others on the Island.

This sounds like I didnt enjoy my stay - I really did, I just felt like I had to be on my guard with charges quite a lot. There were also random mini bar charges on my account when I left that I hadn't made - so CHECK THIS!! Also - 2 mistakes were made on my receipts to the tune of $50 from the restaurants @ the Hotel - again small but annoying.

The Hotel is nice, the lobby is AMAZING - its just had a $2m refit and now has Penguins, Flamingos, Parrots in it, and a restaurant with a view to die for - get a sunset reservation and you won't regret it. Make sure you request Ocean View when you BOOK - we did, and when we checked in, lots of people were trying to upgrade ut there were no more rooms available - and the views really were lovely.

The Hotel is also connected by a fire-lit walkway to other hotels - Marriott/Astor etc... Its quite nice to walk along on an evening and pick up a drink from each one - like a Hawaian bar crawl!

Lots of nice live music - acoustic performances and so on and extremely well equipped without looking corporate/

So a great Hotel but one that needs to stop playing Pickapocket!

Room Tip: Don't even consider a non Ocean view or partial Ocean view - you're in Hawaii!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CJJamieson
cld6784, Manager at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear CJJamieson:
Mahalo for your recent comments regarding your stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. We're glad you thought the hotel was very good, but are disappointed to hear about the issues you had regarding billing with self-parking, cabanas, pool service, and the mini bar. We hope all of these issues were resolved while you were on property.
Please know that we do have (2) options for a la carte breakfast - in our Swan Court Restaurant even though we have an extensive breakfast buffet, we do offer a full a la carte menu. Also, our Halona Kai coffee shop offers an a la carte continental breakfast as well.
We do often hear enthusiastic comments regarding our Japengo restaurant with the sunset views and our wildlife.
We hope the next time you are on Maui, you choose the Hyatt Regency Maui for your stay.
Mahalo.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!