Aston Kaanapali Shores(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
$212
$185
Hotels.com
$326
$305
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of $370/night.

$229
Kaanapali Beach Hotel(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
$236
$231
  • Beachfront
Royal Lahaina Resort(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
$229
$265
Cancelon
$955
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of $1,138/night.

7,228 results
All reviewsswan courtatrium towerour honeymoonbreakfast buffetswim up barexotic birdsself parkingresort feewalk in closetpool areawhalers villagelahaina towerkaanapali beachpartial ocean viewocean frontkids poolmaui resort
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Where do I even start! We checked in on 10/24 with Jen (from Pittsburgh) she was amazing and so friendly and helpful, when we told her we were here to get married, she gave us a $250.00 resort credit to spend anywhere on the resort! Keep in mind there are a million things to do on the resort! We got married off property the next day and finally we were able to enjoy the pool and the beach. We went para sailing, which was arranged with there on property by Monica (she is amazing by the way) and ate non stop at the ample breakfast buffet! Initially I was paranoid by the birds flying around as we ate breakfast, but they never bothered us. The line was pretty long to get seated for breakfast each day but it was quick moving. The buffet line was not long at all! You must try the mango, chicken sausage. Sooo tasty! The only hiccup that happened was that our credit card was charged twice in error, but they fixed it immediately as we found it and gave us another $200 resort credit for our troubles. Kaliko (I think thats her name) helped with this matter, she was so sweet and so patient! Umala has so great fries and wings! The pool was great, lots of seating, even though you may not face the pool, who doesn't want to look right at the ocean? REALLY!

We left there on 10/29 and honestly, despite construction everywhere we WILL return! We thoroughly enjoyed the trip overall, and cannot wait to come back! KUDOS!

1  Thank janelleandjamescash
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2011

Dear janelleandjamescash:

Thank you for taking a moment to share feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. We're delighted to here, regardless of the construction, your stay was still memorable. It's great that you were able to enjoy yourselves throughout your stay. We're glad the employees played a big part with you enjoying your time.

It's sounds as though you had a lot of fun on the different activities you participated in. While para sailing, you can get some of the best views, and it's very relaxing.

We hope to welcome you back again during your anniversary celebrations.

Congratulations!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed November 10, 2011

Let me first start by saying that this was our second stay at the HRM. We stayed for a couple of nights in early September as we were breaking up our time between Wailea and K'pali. The Hyatt is a wonderful property and one of the first on K'pali. Unfortunately it's at the more rocky end and the immediate beach access is not good. But with a little walking you have the entire sandy Kaanapali Beach at your feet. The one thing people are not posting in their review...and I am not sure why is the "Kaanapali Perfume" and how it is so awful at this end near the Hyatt. We deem the smell "stink fish" cause its just that bad. If you can get past that then you are good...mind you it's not just this hotel, but many areas of Kaanapali...so I recommend staying up at Kapalua or head down to Wailea.

Yes the hotel was under construction even back in early September. We were NOT advised of this (we booked direct with the hotel and used my Hyatt points). However since it was the beginning stages and the tarp had just gone up we were not too disturbed...however, it was rather unfortunate that the great view of the ocean from the lobby was hindered but I do understand that they need to do their rennovations during the low season. AND that this property is in dire neeed of updating...it will be worth it in the end.

We were on the concierge level in the Atrium tower. It is worth getting a room that gives you access to their club lounge as the breakfast there alone is well worth it..plus you get killer views from the lounge. (See pics)

Parking at the hotel has always been a problem; the spaces are small and with the luau it's nearly impossible to find a space between 4:30-9pm-HOWEVER the hotel is accomodating and often open "overflow" parking but you have to trek to the hotel from it-not a big deal.

Folks...if you are staying at this property for longer than a couple of days, do yourselves a favor and LEAVE and go out FOR BREAKFAST...don't waste your time in line waiting for a table at Swan Court...hop in your car and head to Lahaina to Aloha Mixed Plate or up to Kapalua's Plantation Course Restaurant...

Room Tip: get a room on a high floor. Splurge and get an ocean FRONT room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2011

Mahalo! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We're glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel. Our regency club level is a great option for people as it not only includes breakfast but also snacks and evening hors d'oeuvres. If at any time you are unable to self park due to the lot being full valet parking is complimentary for guests. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Chrissi R.- A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed November 9, 2011

I just returned from a 7 day conference at the Maui Hyatt. Prior to going I'd read the reviews of the current construction and got extremely apprehensive about staying there. I then spent hours researching other options and finally concluded that it was still most convenient to be at the Hyatt since my conference was there.

Yes, there is construction and some drapes over parts of the stupendous atrium lobby, AND, it is IN-significant. The whole hotel/resort is GORGEOUS. Beautiful layout, with parrots, koi swimming in pools in several areas. The large waterfalls and gardens are so soothing. Beautiful marble antique statues are tastefully placed along the public spaces, it felt a little like a private museum. The huge swimming pool has at least three large, natural looking waterfalls that are better than many massages if you just stand under them for a couple of minutes. In another area I just floated on my back with massive Bougainvillea hanging over the water, brilliant flowers against the blue sky. A stranger swam by and asked me if this wasn't the best pool I'd ever been in? I said, 'yes'.

Even with the construction. The Hotel is still possibly one of the nicest, most spacious and elegant hotels I've been to for a long time. Since it’s Hawaii, the lobby area is very open and is mostly just a way to get from one area to another. There are many other areas to hang out it.
When I arrived I was astounded at how fabulous it was, since I was prepared to find another hotel. And that some of the other comments were SO negative. The bathrooms were fine. the sink and counter is outside the shower and toilet area.

We were first located in the Nepili Tower. If you are seeking greater quiet, I recommend the inner side of the either tower. If have children it might be more convenient to be in Nepili, since closer to childrens part of pool. We moved to the Lahaina tower since the ballroom/meeting room was there. The view (delux ocean view room) was astounding, every day I was filled with gratitude at being there. Hearing the ocean waves and the waterfalls in the gardens and the view below of the pink flamingos, swans, other birds, flowing water in the gardens. The outer side of that tower will hear the nightly luao (ends about 8pm though). The view from that side is of nice mountains.

The Japango restaurant was excellent. and yes, it is a Hyatt so all is probably a bit more expensive than other hotels. I bought breakfast groceries on way in. So indulgent to eat out on balcony each morning overlooking the waterfalls, gardens and ocean! The poolside restaurant was also fabulous, I had Jerk ahi tuna over salad w pecans almost every day. I wanted to try something else, yet it was so delicious I kept getting the same thing.

The comments about the staff sounded a bit contrived to me before I went, like they were too good. And, that really was my experience, as well. The bellmen, front desk people, waiters, most everyone seemed to be genuinely happy to be working there. They were so helpful and nice. This was also the case in several stores we visited in the town near the airport. I think people are happy living in Maui and then working in the Hyatt.

As to the construction, yes I could hear it if I walked thru the lobby between 8-5, yet, at the pool it was negligible, only once in a while did i even remember that they were doing construction! the poolside musician was also easy and low key. I often dislike music in public spaces, and I did actually like this. There were many places to lie down, I always found empty chaise lounges, which seemed different from other posts here. there were several areas I selected where I could only here the ocean or waterfall rather than music or any construction noise. And, the hotel was sold out for some days of our conference.

the beach was also totally fine. sandy right into water about 30 feet to the left of Lahaina tower (if you are facing the ocean), where they rented the snorkels, which I did three times. Best in morning before the waves stir up more sand. I put my head down in waist deep water, started to swim and saw about 30 big 2' silver fish with blue stripes and tons of others. later in day I saw fewer fish right there. they say its better at the black rock reef, I just ran out of time. Turtles too just another 300' further to the left. the beaches are surprisingly empty except for people walking. further down the strip it gets wider and there were more people laying on beach.

Ballroom is done with great taste for such a Huge space. They do need to fix a leak in the ceiling though !

Have a great trip, enjoy the Hyatt. I hope to stay there again.

Room Tip: Lahaina tower facing the garden and ocean quieter. avoid center tower until construction finished.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Barbara A
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2011

Dear Barbara A:

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. We appreciate you going into such detail with regards to your experience. Despite the renovations currently underway, it sounds to us as though you had quite a memorable trip.

We’re glad to hear our guests can relax at the pool with our local musician playing tunes by the pool. You had also taken the time to enjoy a personal favorite salad of mine. All of the fresh food is quite delicious at Umalu. It’s great to hear you were able to take some extra time to go snorkeling and see some neat fish & turtles.

We hope to welcome you back, regardless if it’s for a meeting or leisure travel. We would like to thank you, once again, for your compliments, as they are greatly appreciated.

Nick B. – Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed November 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights on the second leg of our honeymoon in October. When we first arrived the concierge was great, gave us lei's, checked us in and gave us comp. parking for the night. The hotel is massive and really has the resort feel, so if you like that ritzy feel go for it. The room was phenomenal...we were in a full ocean view room above the main pool and the room was massive with couch and tv and a great balcony.

We spent the first day at the hotel pool, which is very nice, but it can be difficult to find a chair to lay on and there is NO real beach to lay out on here. Even after our research this was still a disappointment, but we ended up taking advantage of the great Kaanapali beach walk that is a mile walk along all the resort hotels in Kaanapali...we ended up sitting on the great beaches in front of the Westin and our favorite beach, Black Rock in front of the Sheraton (about a mile walk from Hyatt on the "beach walk"). It was a nice stroll, but not fun to do multiple times a day on a relaxing vacation. We're very active and even we got sick of walking far for a nice beach.

The restaurant by the pool is ridiculously expensive, dont eat or drink here. Walk to Whalers Village and have a nice meal at Hula Grill or leilanis.

The hotel grounds were fun to walk around, flamingos, penguins and other animals all over. This was hindered though during the week as there was construction 9-5 everyday (we missed most of this as we were driving to nice beaches all over Maui). But I do realize that the construction is why we got such a great deal for our stay, however I KNEW nothing about the construction until we actually saw it happening. They closed off the entire front concierge and entrance and it became confusing.

DO NOT go to the breakfast they includ ein your stay, while it is good, the wait can be REALLY long on weekends and there are birds ALL over the tables. Instead drive to Lahaina and eat breakfast at SUnrise Cafe or 5 palms..delicious breakfasts!

The cost of everything is what bothered us, we are from D.C., by no means an inexpensive market, but we found this hotel to be ridiculous with nickle and diming you. $25 resort fee, per day, PLUS the most annoying thing they did and did not tell us was the charged an "AVERAGE RESORT FEE" to my card the night we checked in. We went immediately to the concierge and they told us they estimate how much they think we will charge to the room per night, and they pre-charge you that amount! So I had a $700 charge on my credit card before I even bought a thing! It was later removed, but just a very annoying and alarming addition!

We would probably NOT stay here again, although we found the rooms very nice, as it is just too expensive!

1  Thank jkjetsetters
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2011

We are honored that you chose to spend part of your honeymoon at our property. I am pleased that upon arrival you found the concierge to be very friendly and helpful. I am thrilled you found your Ocean Front room to be phenomenal. Our Ocean Front rooms offer breathtaking views and are very cozy. I will be sure to forward your comments regarding the fees and other issues mentioned in your review to the appropriate personnel. We want to ensure that our guests have a positive experience while staying with us. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to Hyatt in the future.

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed November 8, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency for 6 nights in late October. We booked the trip through a travel service back in April after extensive research (including reading several positive reviews on TA). I had been following the reviews indicating that tarps were up and construction forthcoming. Then, three days before we left, my travel agent emailed me warning of construction starting right before we arrive. Looking at some of the negative reviews on TA since the construction started, we decided to cut our stay at the Hyatt short and move to South Maui for the second half of our trip. We had enough activities planned to keep up away from the hotel in the beginning. We were trying to keep an open mind but I am definitely glad we made this decision.

Let me start by saying that the grounds at the Hyatt are beautiful. They are lush and tropical with flowers and birds of all sorts and waterfalls. From what I could see of the tarp-covered lobby, it looked like it was beautiful as well with a fish pond and dark wood and apparently penguins that were on temporary vacay due to the construction. There also are a ton of shops at the Hyatt for browsing or picking up gifts. During our stay we walked around to the other hotels on the strip and felt the Hyatt definitely was the most beautiful.

Unlike several others we encountered, we were aware of the construction when we arrived. Many others arrived and had no idea and didn't learn until check in, which I think is unacceptable. We also were pleasantly surprised at check in when we were offered a room upgrade to the Regency floor in the Atrium tour and a credit for the inconvenience of the construction without even asking. I thought this was a nice touch and they seemed very accomodating about it. The woman who checked us in did say that she had "no idea" how loud the construction is because she apparently isn't there during the day (we checked in at night), which seemed a bit disingenuous.

We thought this was a good start to the trip but then the next morning while we were trying to relax at the pool, the construction started. It was constant jackhammering and drilling and really killed the ambiance at the pool. You also have to walk right past it from the lobby and down some make-shift stairs before you get to the pool. I know they were trying to address it by having live music but it really didn't help. I could even hear it through my ipod at full blast, and I didn't really want to block out the sound of the rolling ocean with blasting music. It was really quite unfortunate as the pool set up with the pool side restaurant Umalu is quite nice. You could relax by the pool and order food and drinks. The construction also could clearly be heard in our room on the top floor of the Atrium tour. I would strongly recommend people looking into this hotel before the construction is complete to seriously reconsider if peace and quiet near the pool is something you are hoping for. And, definitely request one of the other towers.

To address some of the other comments I have seen consistently on the board:

The rooms are defintely nothing to write home about and the tray on the counter over the mini fridge is outright ridiculous. It is way bigger than it needs to be and takes up any usable space. I triggered a charge just trying to move it over to make room for some snacks we brought. One positive is that they give you an empty fridge to store your own goodies. The bathroom was small but no smaller than our S. Maui hotel so maybe this is the norm. There was a huge closet and lots of drawer space. I am used to a low bed but I can see how this could be a bit uncomfortable for some. We had a similar type of bed in S. Maui too so again maybe this is some Hawaii norm. The lanai is a tad small, not enough room to really move around but given the construction noise, we didn't use it at all. Our room was deluxe ocean view and the only view of the ocean was from craning our head around from our lanai. If you want to see the ocean from your room you need to book ocean front.

Self parking is a hassle. The spots are so ridiculously small that we gave up after a few nights because the stress of getting in and out of the spots (in our compact convertible) wasn't worth it. Also, with the luau going on, if you don't look for a spot before 4 p.m. or after 9 p.m. you are unlikely to find anything. When we moved to S. Maui the hotels had much larger parking spots and one reserved for people that they could access with their room key, keeping it for guests only.

Swan Court. We liked the breakfast at the Swan court. It was plentifull but did get a bit boring after 6 mornings. We always arrived before 7:30 a.m. and didn't have to wait for a table. We would see lines, sometimes really long, as we were leaving. Definitely look for a package with breakfast included or go somewhere else. I wouldn't pay $30/person for the buffet. The service is good if not a little rushed. The view is quite pretty.

We ate at Umalu one night and Japengo another. Both were good with good service. The guys at the bar at Umalu are super friendly.

The few days we went to the pool, we didn't encounter a problem getting pool chairs. We went after breakfast and there we chairs. This could be due to the fact that sitting at the pool was quite unpleasant due to the construction and perhaps people were spending their days elsewhere. I can say that Sunday, when the Hyatt indicated there would not be any construction, the pool was crowded but we still found spots. If you wait until the afternoon, it was a little more difficult. A few comments about the pool -- the chairs are super close to one another. It is hard to walk around them and you are practically on top of others. We noticed this was the case at most hotels but the Hyatt layout made it look more difficult to move around. Also, there are very few umbrellas so there is very little shade. Definitely bring a sun hat because we did notice that the chairs under umbrellas were the ones taken first. Lastly, a lot of the chairs face onto the beach walk. I find this unpleasant as the beach walk is quite narrow and crowded. Your view of the ocean is blocked by the for-rent cabanas along the "beach" and people are constantly walking past you. In this regard, the Hyatt seemed to have the least amount of property to set up chairs as the other hotels along the strip.
Also, as others mentioned, there is no real beach at the Hyatt. There is a very small one near the spa or you otherwise have to walk down to the Westin/Sheraton.

At the end of the day, if you are considering staying in Kaanapali, the Hyatt could be a great hotel if you keep in mind some of the annoyances (small spots, lines later at breakfast and little shade). But definitely keep in mind the construction when making your determination; it really detracts from the overall experience.

Room Tip: Book an oceanfront not ocean view if you want to see the ocean from your room. If you decide to stick it out during construction, do not get a room in the atrium tour.
1  Thank jcg16

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am pleased you found our grounds to be beautiful and well kept. With our lush landscaping and exotic animals our guests are guaranteed to feel like they are in paradise. We appreciate your comments regarding the construction. We are taking the necessary steps to make sure that the construction currently taking place has a minimal impact on our guests. I am glad you found the food and service at Umalu and Japengo to be very good. We appreciate your comments and hope to have an opportunity in the future to welcome you back to Maui.

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate