“Convenient and Quiet Vacation Retreat”
Review of Puamana Townhomes

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lahaina
Puamana Townhomes
Ranked #34 of 43 Specialty Lodging in Lahaina
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Puamana is a gated community on the ocean less than a mile south of downtown Lahaina. There are numerous ground level condo units scattered around the 28 acre site, with three swimming pools, tennis courts, and other features. Many of the units are available for rent, through at least five rental agents. Our unit was in a perfect setting facing the ocean, but needed some udating, especially of the bathrooms. Other units appeared to have been more recently remodeled by their owners.

Room Tip: Check the photos posted by the rental agents. The units vary widely in features and condition.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Jim L

Reviewed January 30, 2012

Puamana is low key with lots of and lots of green space and personal space. We love staying here because of the lack of crowds. The big resorts make us feel like we are just one of the sardines squeezed cheek to cheek with all the others laying on the loungers by the pool. At Puamana, you get the space. The other nice feature is that all the units are ground units, meaning no elevators! Open your door and you are outside. Nice breezes off the ocean, cool the units so you don't need air conditioning. There are 3 swimming pools. There is no restaurant or shops at Puamana which give it more of a local rather than touristy feel. Each unit is owned by an individual which means they have a variety of decors as well as bedrooms.
We have stayed here several times and prefer a unit in the 'gardenview' part. These seem to be the most peaceful. The ocean units are expensive and the ocean has crashing waves here. It's fine during the day but kind of loud when you're trying to sleep. The opposite side of the property is literally a few feet from the highway with only a hedge in between you and the noise of thousands of cars whizzing past.

Room Tip: Goggle a map of the Puamana site to see where the unit is located. Be aware that the units closest t...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Suebri_11
Reviewed January 2, 2012

If you want to avoid the crowds, at the big hotels, this is the place. Totally unique. So family friendly-people riding bikes, walking the grounds, all on 30 acres of tropical tranquility.The
homes are very comfortable, and you feel your experiencing a
Hawaii, that is no more. Simple, quiet, and beautiful !

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank Thelaman
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We love Puamana, close to everything, but a million miles away. You truly feel at home here, no big resort attitudes, you're part of the neighborhood. Gather for the sunset with owners, surf and standup paddle all day, watch the whales or just "be". Units vary in size, location and style ('77 original to ultra modern) it all looks together and like a community from the exterior. Be there, be welcomed and respect the culture.

Room Tip: Whalers Realty has a great overview of just about any unit you would want, lots of photo, no guessin...
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank trappedinahaolesbody
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We rented a one-bedroom w/loft for almost 2 weeks w/our two adult children (18 & 20). We had a garden-unit and I kicked myself for not splurging for oceanfront. Even though our patio was well-appointed with comfortable furniture, it was too hot to sit out there and we were eaten by mosquitos the one time we did. Had it been ocean front, it would have been perfect. There were 3 window AC units that were sufficient to keep the entire condo cool. I'm not sure how anyone could handle it without A/C -- and there are many in Puamana that do not advertise A/C.

This is not really walking distance to downtown Lahaina -- it's more doable by bike. Our condo had 4 bikes, but they were locked up and when I inquired, I was told we weren't allowed to used them...another bummer. I wish I had planned better. The pools were OK -- ocean front pool only has 2 umbrellas and the pool is 5 /12 feet at it's most shallow point. I didn't like not being able to stand up in the pool. Cool deck is very cracked and old -- looked to me like it needs to be re-done.

This is our 4th trip to Maui and the first time in a condo. It was very nice to have a kitchen for a quick meal, especially when staying for such a long time, but I did miss the service and amenities of the resorts. If you're looking for resort type pools, etc., this is not the place for you.

All in all -- Puamana is a beautiful, park-like property that is peaceful and quiet. There is a rather small beach in front of building 9, but it is nearly swallowed up by the surf by around 1pm. We went down about 9am daily and then returned to the condo for lunch and either went to the pool, or into town in the afternoons. Puamana should really think about having a few things for rent -- bikes, kayaks, tennis racquets, etc. That would have been SO convenient.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank JYHertel
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We have stayed at Puamana on a previous family vacation several years ago so were excited to return with our own little one. The location is perfect for us since we prefer staying on west Maui and enjoy being close to downtown Lahaina. While it is possible to walk into town, it's a bit of a trek and there is no sidewalk. We had no problem parking for free downtown on this visit, although we have seen it much busier in the past.

Puamana is a really nice property that is well maintained. There are 3 different swimming pools and a playground for kids that we took advantage of. We stayed in unit 21-1 and were disappointed to find we had some unexpected guests sharing our townhome. First we noticed a steady stream of ants coming in by the sliding door and several on the counter tops. Although I hate ants, I can deal with them when well armed with Windex and relentless cleaning.

We were informed by the cleaning woman that mice have been an issue at Puamana and she left some traps, explaining how to simply fold it up and leave out. Once the mouse is trapped you merely carry it out to the dumpster and dispose. I don't think so! How many ways can I say EWWWWW!! Unfortunately we did see a mouse scurry across the floor on a couple of occasions. The worst was that we found a dead one in front of the washing machine. I don't know how it got there or what happened and I don't want to. I'm just really grateful I found it before my 15 month old did.

While I understand critters can be uncontrollable to an extent, and that the mouse problem at Puamana has been created because of a fire nearby driving them onto the property looking for shelter, I wish I had had some warning. Especially since we had our baby with us, crawling around all over the place. So, consider yourselves warned! Not all units have an issue, so perhaps you can ask before renting.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank queenamy
Reviewed July 28, 2011

As you can see from my previous reviews, we LOVE to go to Hawaii!!! We planned our perfect honeymoon spot....The Puamana Condos! We were referred here by a friend at work that raved about the property. I was pleasantly surprised how peaceful it was.... we splurged on the condo that was oceanfront (it was our honeymoon, after all :))

I highly recommend this because you can go to bed at night, with the windows open and fall asleep to the sound of the waves...ahhh paradise!!!!!

I was concerned that there may be children running around and it wouldn't be as peaceful... don't get me wrong, i love children (between the both of us we have 5)....
when we arrived there's a huge list of 'rules'...no loud parties, no running on the grass, no this, no that....so the property itself was so quiet the entire week we were there!

It is also walking distance to Lahaina (maybe a few miles at the most) but we opted to rent bicycles at Boss Frog's in Lahaina for the week ($ 50 per person) and the bikes come with a lock...so you can park your bike anywhere and just lock it up! We biked everywhere!!! Hands down it is probably the best way to explore!!!

I saw more things riding our bicycles than the two other times we visited Maui!

We also rented surfboards at the Maui Dive Shop next to the Aloha Mixed Plate (awesome restaurant!!!). It was cheaper than when we stayed in Kaanapali!

Every morning we woke up, walked out to the water...surfed then rode our bikes to Lahaina for lunch. it was a dream!!!!

We spent one day snorkeling at Molokini booked through Boss Frog's. It was a great day trip and saw some awesome fish and turtles!

If you're looking for a relaxing vacation of not running around....i highly recommend staying at the Puamana condos. I can't wait to go back with all the kids!!!!!

Room Tip: can book through Maui Vacation Rentals
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple