“Upcountry Amazing..”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kula
Upcountry Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Kula B&B and Inns
Ohio,USA
“Upcountry Amazing..”
Reviewed March 20, 2009

The location of this b&b is both its best and worst point.....If you like the mountains, want to go to the summit of Haleakalah, then this place is perfect. I came to Hawaii from Ohio in winter for warmth and with temperatures chillier 3500 feet up where this B&B is, I found myself cold too often. That said, the cold air was offset by the hospitality and warmth of the innkeeper, Michael. He's just wonderful. He tended to every need my wife and I had without being a hovering "helicopter host." Michael greets you like family, makes sure you have a nourishing fruit-filled breakfast....and the Inn's dog, Gabby, is a friendly, fuzzy addition too...If you are going to the summit early, Michael makes sure you have a "to go" breakfast and plenty of warm clothing...I was tempted to you this place as our "base" to which spend the week but we just stayed two nights because I wanted to be near the beach the other nights.... The rooms are clean, private and have amazing views, sweeping panoramas of the island....So, this place, I think, is a must on anyone's Maui mountain itinerary.....

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Portland, OR
Reviewed March 19, 2009

Comfortable rooms, clean, very large bathrooms with two sinks. Quiet. Large deck to enjoy the great view is shared with the room next door. Hot tub. GPS says the altitude is 3000 ft.
Michael is the host and has a lot of local knowledge, check out his restaurant reviews.
My only small complaint would be the breakfast is not cooked but it is good and filling and the coffee and hot pastry will warm you up.

• Stayed February 2009
Ohio
Reviewed March 12, 2009

My boyfriend and I (mid-20s couple), stayed at the Upcountry Bed and Breakfast in August 2008. We stayed the first night of our first trip to Hawaii. This was also our first stay in a B&B. WHAT A UNANTICPATED, GREAT, GREAT, GREAT surprise!

We arrived in Maui mid-late afternoon. We were looking for a place to stay that was close to Haleakala, because we wanted to watch the sunrise the next morning while we were still on "mainland" time (getting up super-early wouldn't seem as bad!). We had also booked the "Pony Express Crater Ride" (see separate review, not to be missed!) the day after our arrival. ... via TripAdvisor research, I stumbled upon the Upcountry B&B, and I am SO THANKFUL that I did!

Michael was the most gracious, friendly, welcoming, host we could have wished for. We felt like we were staying with a family friend we had known forever. Upon our arrival, we were given a tour of his amazing house, shown to our room, and given dinner suggestions. Our room (the "black and white" room), was beautiful, and the view was STUNNING. Wow.

We made ourselves at home, and went to get some take-out for dinner. We also picked up a much needed 6-pack of beer, so we could have a beverage while we enjoyed our dinner. We ate our first Maui dinner on the balcony/veranda/lanai of our room. Now this is what I call dinner with a VIEW!

After we ate, we roamed back into the main living area where we spent the evening watching the olympics with Michael and another young couple that was staying at the B&B. It really was a strange, but amazing first night to a vacation. Again, we really felt like we were at the home of an old friend!

As Michael knew we would be getting up early the next morning to check out the sunrise, he packed us a "breakfast to-go". He gave us a cooler filled with fresh fruit, scones, and a thermous for coffee (there was a coffee maker in our room). He even included a little container of milk for our coffee. He also pointed out a giant container of blankets, coats, sweatpants, sweatshirts, etc. near the front door. He told us to "help ourselves" before we went up to watch the sunrise the next morning.

The next morning when we woke up, we brewed our coffee, packed our bags, picked out a few blankets, and headed for the summit of Haleakala. I was SO GLAD we did not have to drive the entiere way from West Maui! It was indeed, very cold at the summit, and we could feel the jealous eyes of onlookers and we sat bundled up in our blankets, sipping coffee and eating scones.

We roamed around the summit for awhile before meeting our guide for our horseback tour. We were gone ALL DAY, and didn't make it back to the Upcountry B&B until almost 5pm (Although we only booked a "one-night" stay). Michael knew we would have to come back to return his cooler and his blankets, so he kept our luggage safe for us all day (rather than us having to leave it in the trunk of our car). Although our room already had the next guests in it, Michael had saved our leftover 4 beers from the night before in his fridge, and we were able to hang out in his living room relaxing for a minute before packing up and heading to West Maui after a long day.

Never in my life had I been SO SAD that I had only booked ONE NIGHT somewhere. This B&B is incredible. The owner is amazing. And I honestly can't think of enough good things to say. I was one of the best experiences "traveling" I have ever had, and my boyfriend and I still talk about it often. We can't wait to stay a 2nd time if we ever return to Maui.

If you have ANY hesitations about staying with Michael, please dismiss them. This B&B is truley a magical place. Feel free to PM me with any questions, I would be glad to assist. Agan, I honestly have nothing but good things to say.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JTA208
Concord, MA
Reviewed March 1, 2009

Great location, comfortable room, wonderful breakfast, best dog in the world. A brand new, beautiful house, in a nice neighborhood that offers a nice change from the beaches.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Germany
Reviewed February 22, 2009

We decided to stay there for 2 days due to the clos proximity to Haleakala crater which was supposed to be climbed for sunrise. When we arrived we found it also close to the beaches, the start to Road to Hana and of course, Haleakala. It a a beautiful. 4 room b &b with our charming host Michael and his very cute dog Gabby (normally I dislike dogs but this one was really very charming). The house is new, the room (our was "black & white") are elegantly decorated and the breakfast consists of fresh cofee, orange juice, fresh tropical fruits and French pastry. Michael was an excellent host to inform us that climbing up Halakala by car was better in the later morning because people were coming down and normally weather conditions are goff to see the crater w/o fog. We prolonged for another day since "Upcountry" is a very neat location on its hilly green landscapes overwiewing both coastlines of Maui. W/o any restrictions we recommend this b& b highly !

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GermanyMarkus
London
Reviewed February 12, 2009

I stayed here two nights - in the blue room. both the bedroom and bathroom were lovely, clean and even more spacious than the photos suggested. Michael was a great host. The house is a great design and the views were lovely and could be enjoyed not just from the lanai but also a hammock and hottub too.

The bathroom was great - spacious with two sinks as well as big towels, robes and large bottles of shower creme and shampoo provided too

In the bedroom room there was a sink area, coffee maker, water filer, table and chairs etc (as well as tv and gas fire) and the fridge was quiet. also the mugs were lovely handmade ceramic ones and the gorgeous hawaiian bedcover is a lovely touch.
By the front door was a trunk where you can borrow blankets and sweaters for the sunrise trip to the crater (which i thankfully did as it was cold). as i wasn;t going to be in for breakfast Michael also provided pastries for me to take with me and offered coffee too.

I am really glad i stayed a second night to enjoy the B&B and the area around. And also to actually be there for breakfast: gorgeous almond croissant (and i'm fussy as it;s one of my faves) and the best fruit salad i have had in ages. really fresh, ripe and sweet. so good and so large i had to take what i couldn;t eat with me!

michael also gave me a copy of 'the road to hana' cd for the next leg of my trip

only regret is i didn;t have chance to ask michael more about his record collection, his travels and the surfboards hung on the walls.

• Liked — location and space
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
London
Reviewed February 11, 2009

If you are looking for somewhere to stay in Maui that is different from the usual 'Maui resort' then this is the place for you.

Staying 'upcountry' is a great way to see the laid back 'real' Maui.
The Upcountry B&B is a wonderful place to stay, Michael is a fantastic host and Gabby is a delight.

The rooms are large, well furnished and clean, plus the view from your lanai is fabulous.

Michael has some great tips on where to eat and what to do during your stay on Maui. If you want to see dawn on the summit of Haleakala then he will send you up there with a very welcome picnic breakfast.

In summary: take a risk, don't follow the crowd, stay here!

• Stayed January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kula
Travaasa Hana, Maui
#1 of 5 in Kula
Lumeria Maui Retreat
Lumeria Maui Retreat
#1 of 2 in Makawao

Been to Upcountry Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!