“It was perfect”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kula
Upcountry Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Kula B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“It was perfect”
Reviewed September 30, 2008

This is a terrific place to stay in the upcountry side of Maui. Away from the icky tourist-ridden sides of cliche Hawaii, this b&b is in a little place called Kula, a very peaceful, beautiful place in the country. For a bona fide city girl who loves the hustle and bustle of an urban environment, the Upcountry B&B in Kula is country enough for a quiet getaway in a gorgeous and simple rural locale with sprawling pastures and beautiful views 360... yet with all the amenities of home (Wi-Fi, nice TV with all the channels, awesome bed and pillows, sink, cups, wine glasses, coffee maker, nearby shopping center -Starbucks, grocery store, Jamba Juice- etc.).

MIchael is a super host with terrific stories to share, what a character! He welcomes and makes you feel at home immediately. For breakfast, he provides a lovely fruit plate that includes bananas, pineapple, strawberries, and papaya, in addition to coffee or tea.

The view from the home as well as from your room patio is breathtaking: Haleakala with its summit peeking from the clouds, country pastures, ocean... Trust me, this is far better than the trite hotel's "ocean view" room. The sunset from your room is gorgeous! The temperature is also cooler up there -- for me in September, the mornings and evenings felt like a typical chilly fall day while the daytime felt like the springtime.

There's much to do in and around Kula. Michael's b&b is also a short drive to Haleakala and he also has warm clothes for you should you forget to bring them for your trip to the mountain.

I felt very much at home here. RECOMMEND!!!!!

• Liked — Lodging's comfort, location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed September 2008
1 Thank rrkim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Aiea, HI
Reviewed September 24, 2008

My husband and I live on Oahu but we don't really like the Waikiki scene. So, we decided to spend our anniversary on one of the Neighbor Islands and chose Maui. We wanted to be fairly central but not in a 'touristy' place. Upcountry Maui is the spot!

Mike's place, Upcountry B&B is right off the main highway so it was easy to find. Gabby, his yellow Lab, greeted us in his exuberant style. The house itself is large but not imposing. The views are spectacular! The bathroom was huge. We didn't get to make use of it, but there's also a spa/jacuzzi in the side yard of the property.

Mike's breakfast was very generous. Probably 1/2 papaya, 4 strawberries, a handful of blueberries, a banana and a pastry. Coffee, tea and juice were also offered. If you're going to do sunrise at Haleakala, tell him the night before and he'll have a small breakfast packed for you in the morning.

We stayed for 4 nights and each one was very restful. The bed was comfy and the pillows were so soft. Mike described how the house was built to be temperature efficient, so it was never cold and never hot. There's a table to sit at on the lanai so you can watch the sunset over the West Maui mountain, enjoy the cool of the evening, then go inside and snuggle in for a good night's sleep.

• Liked — The quietness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emika_B
Detroit
Reviewed April 29, 2008

I can't really add much to the following reviews. This place is fantastic. It is brand new, the bathrooms are huge, and everything about the place has been well thought out. The building was designed as a B&B from the beginning, so all sorts of little things were perfected in the planning stage. Michael is a great host, and I fell in love with Gabby his dog. The price was right, too - a nice bonus. Rates for a single night stay are going up in July, so my advice is stay for at least two nights - you won't regret it.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MrDondo
san diego, CA
Reviewed April 17, 2008

Micheal and Gabby greeted us at the door at 10pm. They were both very hosts. We had the house all to ourselves. It was our honeymoon and we enjoyed the privacy, but am sure if the house was booked-privacy would still not be an issue. Micheal built this house with love, and didn't miss a detail. The views and rooms are beautiful. One AM we drove to see the sunrise on the volcano, we left at 4am- a basket of goodies and warm clothes was waiting for us by the door. This was a great place to stay! I recommend it to anyone! However, we spent 2 days in upcountry and 3 days at the beach-resorts....I liked the variety of the two places.

• Liked — the views and owners and the hot tub!
  • Disliked — location to beach
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank litlkahuna
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed April 1, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here for three wonderful nights. We had a blast! It was our first trip to Maui, and we both were pretty skeptical about staying so far away from the "main" Maui areas, but afterwards we do not regret our stay here at all. The view is magnificent, it is clean, the host is very courteous and helpful, the dog "Gabby" is adorable, fresh fruit for breakfast was yummy, sitting in the spa in the evening was relaxing and marvelous because you get to see so many stars, I even saw a couple shooting stars, and last but not least the nightly rate and affordable. My boyfriend and I were able to do everything we wanted on Maui, and the distance of the place did not hinder us from doing it at all. Many people would probably say that this place is probably not for young couples, but my boyfriend and I are in our mid-twenties and we loved it! This place is highly recommended for everyone no matter how old or young you are. We definitely hope to go back some day! :)

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank princessag00
NY
Reviewed March 24, 2008

This is really a great place. Beautiful big rooms, high ceilings, gas fireplaces, bar, huge bathrooms and a view you would not believe. Quiet spot, great co-inn keepers, Michael and Gabby (yellow lab). A major bargain, even with rate increase later this year.

I am heading back!

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank kkkkkkk30
Pittsburgher at Heart
Reviewed January 22, 2008

The views from Upcountry B & B are incredibly breathtaking. The rooms are beautiful and spotless. I loved the large bathroom with a closet bigger than my closet at home. I also loved the double bowl sinks so my husband and I could get ready in the morning without getting in eachother's way. The feature that I loved the most was the high countertops in the bathroom. Michael, we are stealing your idea. It is a great idea if you have a bad back.

The town of Kula is sleepy and relaxing. It is exactly where I would want to live. It is just far away enough to escape the tourists but close enough to live the life. We recently saw a house on an HGTV show called Househunters that was in Kula right down the street from Upcountry. I kept yelling at the couple on tv how stupid they would be if they did not buy it. They did.

Kula was a five minute drive from Skyline Eco-tours which was our reason for going to Maui. We went ziplining across the forest canopy. We highly recommend it. It was great when everyone was talking about their hour or hours spent driving across the island to get there and we had only been up for about 45 minutes.

We had a large but light breakfast. It consisted of fresh pineapple, mango, papaya, strawberries and banana. It was beautifully presented along with some local pastries.

Michael is one very interesting character. He had so many unique and interesting stories to tell. He has done so much in his life. I was truly intrigued.

Michael is also very informative. He gave us great advice on things to do and see. He also gave us advice after a trip that we should not have taken. If only we had told him our plans first he said. Hindsight is always 20/20. We took the scenic tour on route 340. I truly thought we would die. Michael said he was surprised the car rental company did not tell us that we are not allowed to drive on this road if you want to call it that. It is forbidden in most contracts. Our tour book did not have that waiver.

Make sure that you make it outside to enjoy the stars and the peace and quiet at night. And by all means sleep with your door open so you can enjoy the calming breezes of Kula.

We loved Upcountry and Michael and hope to return someday. Who knows? Maybe someday we will retire to Kula and run a Bed and Breakfast. All it takes is a leap of faith, a boatload of money, a creative mind and hard work to get there. Congratulations Michael on a job well done. I will say a prayer to your father for being so wise.

• Liked — The Innkeeper. He was so interesting. The views from the lanai were incredible.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank furrykidmom3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kula
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Lumeria Maui Retreat
#1 of 2 in Makawao
Banyan Bed and Breakfast Retreat
Days Inn Maui Oceanfront

Been to Upcountry Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!