“Great Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Upcountry Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kula
Upcountry Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Kula B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

The Upcountry B&B was the perfect B&B if you want to see Haleakala, The Road to Hana, Upcountry Maui, South Maui Beaches, and Paia. The owner goes out of his way to get you ready for your early morning trip to the summit of Haleakala to see the sun rise. He packs a breakfast the night before and has blankets/clothes/etc. for the cold morning. He also provides excellent fruit breakfasts and french pastries. The B&B is flawless (Built by the owner). We stayed in the Black and White room. Has an amazing view of Maui. The room is big and comfortable. Perfect weather in the upcountry, not too hot, not too cold. Good for hot days at the beach. Spa is amazing at night to view the stars. Absolute 5 out of 5. Michael is one of the best hosts we've ever had at a B&B.

Room Tip: Black and White room has a fireplace for cold months along with double sink and king bed. Nice lanai...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Johnson City, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

We stayed here in May 2012 for the purpose of seeing the sunrise on Haleakala. After staying there, we wished we had planned more time there. Michael is very welcoming and accomodating. He has thought of everything for the sunrise crowd; a breakfast bag with coffee to take, blankets and warm clothes for the summit! The room was very nice and modern. Very nice hot tub on the patio that was very relaxing. Clean and well stocked. We hope to return to Kauai some day and will definetly try to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

I had tried to make a reservation to stay there and had emailed Micheal all the information I needed except for my credit card number. Rather than confirming that he did have reservations open and what room was available, he kept insisting me to read his website. He was too lazy to help me and email me what he needed me to do and rather kept sending me rude emails! I've worked for the hotel industry for 10 years and do not understand how you are still in business after being so rude to customers. I don't care how wonderful the views are from you house, I would rather sleep on the street than be anywhere near someone so rude. Yes, I do know how to read, I do have two college degrees and do not need to go back to third grade. Thanks you. And don't worry, I wouldnt stay in your place if someone paid me to!

• Stayed June 2012
9 Thank Amyon
kulaboy11, Owner at Upcountry Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
I don't really know who wrote this-becuase he's never been here- but there are almost a hundred restrictions put on Bed and Breakfasts here on Maui. While this person says he has worked in the Hotel industry my guess it wasn't in Hawaii or on Maui. I asked him to read the Room Rates page- that's it, not fly to the moon-because there are so many restrictions and everyone should know what they are. It's not really a lot to ask, you are asking to stay in my home and if that is too much to ask they go to a Hotel where they don't care about the 600 people you vacation with. I didn't create these restrictions the State of Hawaii, the County of Maui and my Insurance Company did. If you have a problem with the restrictions talk to them. I try to run a peaceful, quiet place and if that's not working for you then please don't ruin the vacation of everyone who is staying here. I get about 30 E-mails a day and this is the only person in 12 years to complain about reading the Room Rates Page-go figure!
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed our first night on Maui at the Upcountry Bed and Breakfast because of its close proximity to Haleakala. The owner, Michael, was great. When I emailed him he gave me all the instructions I needed about what time to wake up in order to see the sunrise.
We arrived around 7pm and he graciously showed us all of the ammenities at this home. He made a great recommendation for a little restaurant just down the street from him for supper. We had a fantastic pizza! Their other food looked amazing too. This restaurant doesn't have a liquor licence -- but you can just go across the street to the store and buy a bottle and bring it into the restaurant. Talk about convenient! When we got back to our room for the night -- there sitting outside the door was a cooler packed with our scones, apple-bananas, a thermos for our coffee (which we could make fresh in the room) and he even gave my non-coffee-drinking husband a container filled with delicious Orange Juice. I have to tell you that the coffee was fantastic and I so enjoyed it as I sat in the freezing cold waiting for the sunrise. Micheal had a detailed hand-drawn map of how to get the the crater in the early morning hours. He also had a map showing the many other attractions in Upcountry Maui. The sunrise is SO worth seeing. Do wear gloves/hat/lots of layers. Michael even has chairs for you to take -- very nice to not sit on the cold ground/concrete. Other people there thought that we had done this before because we were to "prepared". Little did they know that it was Michael that had prepared us!
If I had to do it again, I would have stayed an additional night at the Upcountry Bed and Breakfast and enjoyed the other Upcountry attractions.
You will not be disappointed in this choice. Michael truly does care about his home and wants his guests to enjoy their stay.
Thanks Michael for a wonderful memory!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank susan658
Clemson, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Upcountry B&B for three nights in late March and enjoyed our stay immensely. The host/owner, Michael, is a very welcoming person with tons of information about the area. In addition to designing and doing much of the work building the B&B he is an accomplished artist, creating decorative tiles, many used in the B&B. I will try not to add many more pictures since most of those we took are about the same as some of those already posted by others. Suffice to say that the location is perfect for visiting the national park and the zipline company along crater road. There is a small store and a very good restaurant within walking distance, perhaps a half mile away. The building sits at about the 3,000 foot level on the slope of Haleakala and affords a breathtaking view of the 'Iao valley and the northern and southern coasts of the island. The breakfasts are limited to fresh fruit and tasty pastries, but Michael does not skimp and portions are large. The beds are comfortable, the room and bath large and clean, and there is a very strong and fast WiFi signal. Michael's dog, Gabby, is a delight and well behaved. I would highly recommend the Upcountry B&B to anyone, especially those wanting to visit the national park.

NPH

Room Tip: We stayed in the "twin" room on the first floor. Has a porch (lanai) outside sliding glass...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NationalParkHiker
Sandy, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

My mother and I stayed here for our first night on Maui. I must say it wasn't the most welcoming place to pop into when we arrived. The host, Michael, seemed to care less about the people he was hosting and more about his own interests. Very stuck-up attitude, and not someone that should be running a B & B. You would think that some of the attributes you need to possess as a host are a good-natured spirit and a genuine interest in your guests. This was not the case. Yes, the rooms and views are great, but the feeling of being in a house with Michael is all you need to dampen your mood.

We had a wonderful time on Maui, and after a day at Upcountry spend the rest of our time in a wonderful guest house in Kihei for $50 a night with out own kitchen. Rented road bikes and cycled for miles, hiked, snorkeled, it was great! You definitely don't need to spend as much as you would at Upcountry B&B to have a relaxing and good Maui experience.
If you are truly thinking about staying here, definitely factor in the lower-end ratings on here. It seems that we weren't the only ones who have had this experience with Michael. My mother and I are very friendly and positive people, but this place was rather uncomfortable.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Ryan B
kulaboy11, Owner at Upcountry Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
I should have known better. When these guests arrive the Mother was more than happy to tell me the only reason she was traveling with her son was because no one else she knew whould travel with her. Oh, if she had only told me that before she make the reservation. Now I know why. This is a great example of giving someone a guide book and having them think that the book is gospel. No matter what I recommended, they hated the idea. I actually grew up in Hawaii and have owned this property on Maui since 1968 so it isn't like I just read a guilde book. Here's a perfect example: When they asked about the closet Farmers Market and I suggested Kula Country Farms- they hated the idea- they went to one they had seem down the street that buys all of its produce from-you guessed it- Kula Country Farms. Sometimes no matter how much you try people just do what they want weather its the best thing ot so or not.
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

The Up-Country B&B is terrific, located in an other-worldly setting at 3,000 feet above sea level. It has a stunning, 180 degree view across Maui, and near the entrance to the Haleakala National Park and volcano crater. The rooms are spacious and spanking-clean with comfy comforters, the hosts are very hospitable, and Gabby the dog is friendly but not familiar, and goes away after saying hi. Use a good map, call ahead to confirm your reservation and directions, and you're there.

The breakfast in this B&B is unique. It consists of a fresh-baked muffin, hot coffee in a thermos, blankets, windbreakers, sweaters, and jackets--designed for the cold as you leave by 4:00 AM (but good sleep until then) to drive to the park, up an exciting road and view ending overlooking the volcano crater above 10,000 feet, and watch the sunrise (unless fog).

The hosts will give tips on what to do and what not to do (like "leave by 4 AM" and the "glass enclosure). With the drive up the volcano and the cold and the wind--you can't just show up, and you won't be equipped otherwise. Now that's what I call service!

After the mountain and down (following the tail lights of the car in front if there is fog, or pull over and follow the next car if you want to go slowly), you can return the gear, chat and chill (warm). The rate is very reasonable.

It was a uniquely pleasurable, awe-inspiring stay and journey. Isn't that what Maui is all about? The place is a gem.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LittleBiffOne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kula
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Lumeria Maui Retreat
Lumeria Maui Retreat
#1 of 2 in Makawao
Days Inn Maui Oceanfront

Been to Upcountry Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!