“Excellent place to stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kula
Upcountry Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Kula B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed our first night on Maui at the Upcountry Bed and Breakfast because of its close proximity to Haleakala. The owner, Michael, was great. When I emailed him he gave me all the instructions I needed about what time to wake up in order to see the sunrise.
We arrived around 7pm and he graciously showed us all of the ammenities at this home. He made a great recommendation for a little restaurant just down the street from him for supper. We had a fantastic pizza! Their other food looked amazing too. This restaurant doesn't have a liquor licence -- but you can just go across the street to the store and buy a bottle and bring it into the restaurant. Talk about convenient! When we got back to our room for the night -- there sitting outside the door was a cooler packed with our scones, apple-bananas, a thermos for our coffee (which we could make fresh in the room) and he even gave my non-coffee-drinking husband a container filled with delicious Orange Juice. I have to tell you that the coffee was fantastic and I so enjoyed it as I sat in the freezing cold waiting for the sunrise. Micheal had a detailed hand-drawn map of how to get the the crater in the early morning hours. He also had a map showing the many other attractions in Upcountry Maui. The sunrise is SO worth seeing. Do wear gloves/hat/lots of layers. Michael even has chairs for you to take -- very nice to not sit on the cold ground/concrete. Other people there thought that we had done this before because we were to "prepared". Little did they know that it was Michael that had prepared us!
If I had to do it again, I would have stayed an additional night at the Upcountry Bed and Breakfast and enjoyed the other Upcountry attractions.
You will not be disappointed in this choice. Michael truly does care about his home and wants his guests to enjoy their stay.
Thanks Michael for a wonderful memory!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank susan658
There are newer reviews for Upcountry Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed March 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Upcountry B&B for three nights in late March and enjoyed our stay immensely. The host/owner, Michael, is a very welcoming person with tons of information about the area. In addition to designing and doing much of the work building the B&B he is an accomplished artist, creating decorative tiles, many used in the B&B. I will try not to add many more pictures since most of those we took are about the same as some of those already posted by others. Suffice to say that the location is perfect for visiting the national park and the zipline company along crater road. There is a small store and a very good restaurant within walking distance, perhaps a half mile away. The building sits at about the 3,000 foot level on the slope of Haleakala and affords a breathtaking view of the 'Iao valley and the northern and southern coasts of the island. The breakfasts are limited to fresh fruit and tasty pastries, but Michael does not skimp and portions are large. The beds are comfortable, the room and bath large and clean, and there is a very strong and fast WiFi signal. Michael's dog, Gabby, is a delight and well behaved. I would highly recommend the Upcountry B&B to anyone, especially those wanting to visit the national park.

NPH

Room Tip: We stayed in the "twin" room on the first floor. Has a porch (lanai) outside sliding glass...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NationalParkHiker
Reviewed March 1, 2012

My mother and I stayed here for our first night on Maui. I must say it wasn't the most welcoming place to pop into when we arrived. The host, Michael, seemed to care less about the people he was hosting and more about his own interests. Very stuck-up attitude, and not someone that should be running a B & B. You would think that some of the attributes you need to possess as a host are a good-natured spirit and a genuine interest in your guests. This was not the case. Yes, the rooms and views are great, but the feeling of being in a house with Michael is all you need to dampen your mood.

We had a wonderful time on Maui, and after a day at Upcountry spend the rest of our time in a wonderful guest house in Kihei for $50 a night with out own kitchen. Rented road bikes and cycled for miles, hiked, snorkeled, it was great! You definitely don't need to spend as much as you would at Upcountry B&B to have a relaxing and good Maui experience.
If you are truly thinking about staying here, definitely factor in the lower-end ratings on here. It seems that we weren't the only ones who have had this experience with Michael. My mother and I are very friendly and positive people, but this place was rather uncomfortable.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Ryan B
kulaboy11, Owner at Upcountry Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

I should have known better. When these guests arrive the Mother was more than happy to tell me the only reason she was traveling with her son was because no one else she knew whould travel with her. Oh, if she had only told me that before she make the reservation. Now I know why. This is a great example of giving someone a guide book and having them think that the book is gospel. No matter what I recommended, they hated the idea. I actually grew up in Hawaii and have owned this property on Maui since 1968 so it isn't like I just read a guilde book. Here's a perfect example: When they asked about the closet Farmers Market and I suggested Kula Country Farms- they hated the idea- they went to one they had seem down the street that buys all of its produce from-you guessed it- Kula Country Farms. Sometimes no matter how much you try people just do what they want weather its the best thing ot so or not.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

The Up-Country B&B is terrific, located in an other-worldly setting at 3,000 feet above sea level. It has a stunning, 180 degree view across Maui, and near the entrance to the Haleakala National Park and volcano crater. The rooms are spacious and spanking-clean with comfy comforters, the hosts are very hospitable, and Gabby the dog is friendly but not familiar, and goes away after saying hi. Use a good map, call ahead to confirm your reservation and directions, and you're there.

The breakfast in this B&B is unique. It consists of a fresh-baked muffin, hot coffee in a thermos, blankets, windbreakers, sweaters, and jackets--designed for the cold as you leave by 4:00 AM (but good sleep until then) to drive to the park, up an exciting road and view ending overlooking the volcano crater above 10,000 feet, and watch the sunrise (unless fog).

The hosts will give tips on what to do and what not to do (like "leave by 4 AM" and the "glass enclosure). With the drive up the volcano and the cold and the wind--you can't just show up, and you won't be equipped otherwise. Now that's what I call service!

After the mountain and down (following the tail lights of the car in front if there is fog, or pull over and follow the next car if you want to go slowly), you can return the gear, chat and chill (warm). The rate is very reasonable.

It was a uniquely pleasurable, awe-inspiring stay and journey. Isn't that what Maui is all about? The place is a gem.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank LittleBiffOne
Reviewed December 22, 2011

After over 20 visits to Maui I had never been to see the sunrise at Haleakala and we decided that had to change. Thanks to Trip Advisor I found Michael and Gabby's Upcountry B & B and knew this was the way to experience Haleakala. We stayed in the Blue Room and it was PERFECT - clean, spacious, excellent bed, small fridge, microwave, coffee maker, alarm clocks, huge shower, (Take time to notice the exceptional craftsmanship in Michael's tiles) and a lanai/deck with a spectacular view. IT WAS SOOO QUIET and there were other guests staying as well. We were exhausted when we arrived and Michael took us on a tour, showed us how to use the hot tub, got fresh ground 100% Kona coffee for us to brew the next morning, packed our breakfast, and left us to melt into paradise. He made THE BEST recommendation for dinner which we brought "home" and ate on our lanai and watched the sun set. He gave us great maps and told us the time for the sunrise at Haleakala and how much time to allow to get "a good spot." We listened attentively (He is a premier host and he knows the island and respects the history, culture and people) and we got up there before the parking lots filled, took our seat, and watched the sun make its daily journey up from behind the sea to its rightful place in the sky. One of the "selling factors" for us was that Michael provides blankets, jackets, hats/gloves, etc. - there were lots of people with their beach attire and hotel blankets wrapped around them freezing, but we were snug and warm! We took our time in the park before the tour buses arrived (but not before the bicyclists - make sure to give them room on the road) - we had a hearty breakfast of bananas, water, and scones so that we didn't have to leave like so many who were busy planning their breakfast while we could sit and just BE in the moment. We took a few short hikes and then went "home" to shower and pack up for our trip to Hana. Michael had thought of everything (there are even huge cotton robes) and we were so happy we found his place through Trip Advisor. Someone mentioned being concerned about their credit card, but you are dealing with a professional and our information was certainly protected. This is a great place to stay, on your first trip to Maui or your hundredth - Michael gives such rich and true perspective and is there when you need him, and invisible when you don't. My husband and I have said that we think we will begin every trip to Maui with a night at Upcountry B&B and the sunrise at Haleakala - it won't be too long before we are back. You can learn even more at their website: http://www.upcountrybandb.com -- this place is definitely no ka oi!

Room Tip: Use Michael's maps from the airport and to get up to Haleakala
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank graceisenough
Reviewed December 16, 2011

We were very pleasantly surprised by this wonderful bed and breakfast. The building is new and the rooms are very spacious and nicely furnished. When we arrived, the owner was away, but his friend Pat welcomed us and showed us to our room. We were in the "Black and White" room with a beautiful view of the island from the deck. The room was spotless and has a king bed with a Hawaiian quilt, a wet bar with coffeemaker, mini-fridge table and chairs, TV, gas fireplace, and ceiling fan. The large bathroom has a double sink, a huge mirror-door closet, and a spacious walk-in shower. The shower has a large ceramic insert of a humpback whale tile and more tiles with fish designs, all made by the owner. You'll see his tile and pottery work throughout the inn.

This owner really takes care of his guests. If you want to get up to Haleakala for the sunrise, they will pack an insulated bag for you the night before with thermoses, big pastries, fruit and coffee. Brew your coffee just before you leave in the morning and you're ready to go. There's also a bin by the front door with warm clothing, hats, gloves and sweatshirts that you can borrow to keep you warm. Even beach chairs, umbrellas, and boogie boards for your beach adventures.

If you want to eat in, you can go down to the great room and kitchen area and you'll enjoy a large fruit plate, pastries, and delicious coffee and orange juice. More pottery and tiles decorate the room. Be sure to stop and look at the artwork on the walls throughout the inn. Although we didn't use them, there's a spa outside and a microwave available for use.

It really is like staying at a friend's house. Gabby, the yellow lab is a big friendly pup and is happy to have guests in his home.

We truly enjoyed our stay here - we'd return any time!
Check out the website at http://www.upcountrybandb.com/

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank snapngo
Reviewed October 25, 2011

We loved our stay at Upcountry Bed and Breakfast! My overall summary is that it's like staying at a friend’s house; you're welcome to make yourself at home as long as you are respectful of the house and its residents.

We were on Maui for a little over a week. We stayed in the Twins room one night upon our arrival. Then at the Grand Wailea. We enjoyed Upcountry B&B enough to cancel reservations at Grand Wailea for the last two nights of our stay and cancelled it to stay back at Upcountry B&B (in the blue room). The rooms we stayed in all have dual sinks, walk-in showers, fridge, and wonderful views of the West Maui coast. My only regret is that we didn't get to enjoy the hot tub.

Granted, emailing our credit card info made me anxious. But, after seeing that Upcountry B&B has been around for so many years, I went ahead and sent my info. Michael only ran my card after we arrived. So, it was all good.

We stayed at Upcountry B&B for its close proximity to Haleakala (we got up early to see the sunrise. WOW!) Michael got our coffee together so we could make it in our room the next morning. He also packed a bag for us with a thermos and two coffee mugs, water, bananas, scones. He also offered blankets, jackets, and sweatshirts (all washed and clean) to take up to the summit. It was such a nice package to have to take with us. Also, Michael has a map all drawn up for the best way to get to the summit. He filled us in on info for getting to see the sunrise that I hadn't found in our tour books. Michael also has a lot of knowledge about the island in general. He had good tips on driving the road to Hana, nice beaches to visit, and tips on which pubs/ bars have the the best happy hour deals!

Michael also has a nice packet of info in the rooms for places to eat around Kula. Yes, as one person commented he does have his opinion about the restaurants. But, doesn't every "concierge" at every hotel give you their opinion too? Anyways, after eating at Cafe 808, it was the only place we ate while in Kula!

Michael is a very courteous host and very conversational on lots of topics. We felt very accommodated with anything we asked for. Some of the "rules" I read about in other reviews are due to Maui County Laws for B&B's. Other "rules" seemed to be more in line with running a B&B/ hotel. I didn't feel at any time that I was restricted from being comfortable and relaxed. Read ALL the reviews and not just the bad ones. Also, read the info on the Upcountry B&B website. It's pretty thorough. I was able to email back and forth with Michael with a one-day turn around on replies from him. Gabby "talks" a lot, too. Although he is a big softy despite his loud bark.

To quote another reviewer, "If you love Maui, but not the crowded beach scene, consider spending some quality time in Kula." I happily recommend the Upcountry B&B! Thanks again to Michael & Gabby for a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Don't use Mapquest - you'll get lost! Google Maps, Yahoo Maps, and Bing Maps will all give...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ian W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kula
Travaasa Hana, Maui
#1 of 5 in Kula
Lumeria Maui Retreat
Lumeria Maui Retreat
#1 of 2 in Makawao

Been to Upcountry Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!