“Dinner at the Kula Lodge, crab stuffed fresh fish! Awesome to the last bite!”
Review of Kula Lodge

Kula Lodge
Reserve with OpenTable
Kula Lodge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 16 Restaurants in Kula
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Haleakala Hwy
Reviewed April 14, 2013

It's rare that I actually finish my meal. In Hawaii we say "ono" if something is awesome. Well, my Uhu fish was "ono"! Right down to the last bite!

There are so many facets of the Kula Lodge that I love and have loved since the mid 70s. Now, when I walk through the doors, I'm transported in time to the "good ole days". The same breathtaking view and the crackling of the REAL fire are imprinted in my DNA and cause me to relax instantly upon entry. There are not too many places left that don't change with time. Some might think that everything should change. I don't. It's part of the lovely appeal and charm of the Kula Lodge that draws people from all over the world. When I'm in the lobby I hear so many different languages spoken.

The Kula Lodge restaurant is a place that I have been many times for breakfast and lunch but it is extremely rare for me to have dinner there just because I don't go out to dinner much. I'm a real eggs benedict "freak", the more hollandaise the better (please hold the muffin). I LOVE my eggs benedict at the Lodge. Lunches have been delightful over the years. Usually business lunches to enjoy the spectacular view and light hearted ambiance. My favorite lunch is the Macadamia crusted Mahi Mahi, lightly sauteed and served with fresh veggies and white rice (hold the rice, more vegetables please). My mouth is watering just thinking about how much I enjoy that meal. But, and in addition to, my fish the other night was suburb! The Lodge has a nice selection of wine by the glass (seems to be something I appreciate!) and I find the people that work there to be so nice and helpful. The icing on the cake was my Peanut Butter pie! I could not resist. My love of peanut butter pie goes all the way back to Laguna Beach when I was a teenager. Ahhhhhhh Nina's Cafe, a mother and daughter restaurant (mom about 80 and daughter about 60), they whipped up some of the best food but I was completely addicted to their peanut butter pie. Fast forward from the past....... OMG the Lodge's peanut butter pie was the best dessert I have had in a very very very long time. In fact, the last dessert I remember that may have been better (it might have been the location) was a coconut cheesecake at the St. Regis Bora Bora. Location location location and the Kula Lodge outdid themselves with this mouth watering delicious pie. Unfortunately (or fortunately) for me, it's not a staple on their menu or I would have gone back again for more. The Lodge is known for it's array of delicious and creative desserts. Usually about 6+ a night. I'm going to suggest that they put some dessert on the breakfast menu for people like me, who, love dessert for breakfast. Maybe have it as a special called "Last night's dessert" on the breakfast menu? Yes, I'm on a wheat/gluten free diet but there are always exceptions to the rule. Peanut butter pie is one of them.

7  Thank MelissaMcCoy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,331)

Reviewed April 13, 2013

This is a great little breakfast place (they obviously have lunch, too) on the way to/from Haleakalah crator.

The service is about what you normally see on Maui. They're not overly-friendly, but they're polite and courteous, and they're busy, so they're not going to sit and chat. If you're friendly, they're friendly, but it took a few minutes being nice to them when ordering and such for them to be friendly back.

The funny thing is, they're using normal food but it just TATSTES better. Can't explain it. My fiance' had the fruit plate with yogurt and the yogurt tasted REALLY good. We were told it was Yoplait. Really? I had simply two eggs and potatoes with toast. Great bread, perfectly seasoned potatoes, eggs cooked just right, great local coffee, and no complaints.

The view is amazing, the fireplace was going and after a cold morning at the crater, it felt great! In all, the staff isn't exceptionally welcoming and they're doing a lot of volume with everyone driving/biking up and down the road, so just enjoy the view, enjoy the food, and head on with your day.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

i went here on my b-day and they knew it. did they give you a complimentary cupcake? the place is lovely and the view is gorgeous. the food is awful--really awful. the hyped lamb lollipops were smothered in a breading and sauce. the caprese salad was comprised of good, fresh mozzarella paired with pale, cardboard tomatoes. close your eyes and you are eating a raw potato. plus…this place is expensive! we won't be back!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

If you visit Maui make a stop at Kula Lodge. It has very best onion soup I have ever had. It is a must go!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Kula Lodge is a regular stop for us on our trips to Maui. In addition to a world class art gallery featuring the work of Curtis Cost, the wood fired pizza is top of the line. The wait staff is courteous and helpful. Don't miss this chance to visit.

Been to Kula Lodge? Share your experiences!