“Many Proteas” 3 of 5 bubbles

45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Many Proteas”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

My sister and I are avid gardeners and thought this was a must see after our sunrise at Haleakula crater. The garden doesn't open until 9am, so we had a lovely breakfast first at the Kula Lodge. The garden was a disappointment because we were expecting something like the botanical garden at Hilo ( whick is a Wow factor of 10). We talked about what was lacking and we both agreed that this is really not a tropical garden because of the altitude. Everything looked like it was deep in a winter sleep and we wondered if it would be better in the summer. The many proteas were a treat, but not much else.
The highlight was when we were snooping around a macadamian nut tree and one of the staff stopped on his cart and found us a nut. He then proceeded to tell us about macadamian nut trees and how to crack on open with a stone.

Koloa, Hawaii
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“protea heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

if you love beautiful settings and tropical plants, this is the place to visit. the proteas are all over the place--king, pin cushion, black mink. each one is a fascination and the place is kept well. lovely man at desk. certainly worth a visit.

Visited April 2013
Port Alberni, Canada
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Mediocore”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I spend 1/2 a day in UpCountry after our early morning adventure to Haleakala for sunrise. The Kula Botanical Garden seemed to be fairly highly rated on TA, and as I'm an avid gardener, and love plants and flowers, I wanted to visit.
I was quite disappointed in Kula Botanical Gardens. I gave it a rating of 3 because I did enjoy viewing the large variety of plants, but I was somewhat disappointed that the garden is not kept up better. Some of the plants looked a little bedraggled, the garden area isn't too large, and I really don't think it was worth the $10 admission they are charging.
The woman at the counter in the small gift shop where you pay the admission said it's been a family run business for 42 years. I'm surprised if that's the case that they haven't done more improvements in that time.
They have plants from all over the world, and some I have never seen, so a visit to the garden is somewhat interesting, but I think there are better ways to spend your time on Maui!

2 Thank islandgurl2
Ottawa, Ontario
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Well Worth a Visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

This attraction is conveniently located on the Kula highway where it can be combined with a visit to the Haleakala volcano. The admission is modest and it features a reasonably well-labelled wide variety of the usual suspects in terms of tropical and Pacific vegetation. In contrast to most botanical gardens, this one has a pleasantly informal and natural feel, as if the plants and flowers chose to grow there, rather than being planted neatly for our benefit. We liked it. Kula Gardens is well worth the leisurely 90 minutes it takes to wander through.

Visited February 2013
Houston, Texas
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“BEAUTIFUL TROPICAL GARDENS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

We drove up to Kula specifically to see these gardens. They were beautiful and well worth the $10 admission fee. Beautiful Proteas and other tropicals that we had not seen before. I would recommend this stop if you are in the area.