“Local wine”

and up
Private Hana Adventure
Ranked #4 of 36 things to do in Kula
More attraction details
Owner description: Ulupalakua is home to MauiWine which offers one of the Islands' most enticing products - wines that carry the essence of Hawai'i, the spirit of Maui. MauiWine welcomes you to taste the fruit of the island in wines made from their 23 acre vineyard on the slopes of Haleakala, as well as the tropical wines made from the famed Maui Gold pineapples - all grown right here in Upcountry Maui. Visitors to MauiWine gather in the tasting room located in the King's Cottage, built in 1874 specifically for the celebrated visits of King Kalakaua, last reigning King of Hawai'i. Guests are invited to follow in the footsteps of Ali'i (royalty) and Paniolo (cowboys) on a guided tour of the historical grounds. A journey into Ulupalakua's illustrious past, a tour of the Makee estate, and a glimpse at the creation of Maui wines are all a part of the experience. Welcome to Ulupalakua... where the storied history blends with modern day agriculture, creating the perfect setting for the islands only winery and vineyard. Time Well Spent
Reviewed April 6, 2013

It's worth a visit if you're near the area anyway. Avoid it if you see a couple of tour buses parked in the lot because it will be crowded and full of people in 'tourist coma' who are not always on best behavior. The wine itself is fun to taste and drink just because you're in Maui and having a vacation, but if you're a true wine person, you might not like it (it's very fruity). The staff could do a better job of explaining the wine (maybe they need a trip to the Columbia Valley to learn the trade). :)

Reviewed March 19, 2013

The wine is just ok. We weren't impressed by the tasting; we were asked what we wanted and poured (very small) samples without explanation of the wines. I think we arrived at the same time as a few tour buses. My wife and I came to the conclusion that if Maui were a prime location for wine, there would be more wineries...

Reviewed March 16, 2013

If you are a wine lover, do not miss visiting the Maui Winery. We enjoyed the scenic drive and the wine tasting and tour equally. The tour does not take very long and the guide gave historic information that we found enjoyable. The wine tasting room and shop is very nice and the grounds are well kept. Even if you are not a wine lover, you may enjoy this little piece of Maui history and the wonderful drive through Maui's upcountry which has other attractions along the way.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

The wines are average, but the views and area are beautiful. You'll be extremely relaxed walking around. Stop across the street and get some pulled pork for lunch. It's worth the drive.

1  Thank pjpowers82
Reviewed February 20, 2013

there are no dates on there bottles of wine because they will sour after a period of time. I bought over 40 bottles to save in my wine celler every bottle was bad when I opened them. I tried maui splash, maui blanc, upcountry blush, @framboise( raspberry dessert wine ) all went bad. I gave my best friend 20 bottles to celebrate his 40th wedding aniversery and was very embarrised when he told me they were all sour . I tried my bottles and they were bad as well. My advice to anyone buying this wine do not ship it home drink it when your in hawaii.

2  Thank Mary B

Been to MauiWine? Share your experiences!