“Ali'i Kula Lavender Farm - I enjoyed the tour and wonderful photo opportunities!”

Ali'i Kula Lavender Farm
Book In Advance
More Info
$325.00*
and up
Tasting the Best of Maui Farm Tour
Ranked #1 of 2 Shopping in Kula
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We say in Hawaii that Kula is God's country! Taking the upper Haleakala Highway (Kekaulike) from Pukalani takes you through rolling hills dotted with cows, horses and sheep, hills sprinkled with tiny yellow flowers against a backdrop of our majestic Mount Haleakala, standing over 10,000 ft high. I love this drive SO much that I have often driven up and down it 2 times a day (or more) just to fill my eyes with the beauty. This time of the year is especially DROP DEAD GORGEOUS because the Jacaranda trees are blooming with their shocking purple flowers. I guess the color is similar to the color of lavender. What a coincidence! :)

Ali'i Kula Lavender Farm is situated in a very pretty area of our Kula God's country with a stunning view of the valley below. I've watched the farm from it's "sprouting days" as I've traveled the road it is on often to go to Poli Poli or just up to the tree line above the farm to watch sunsets (for many many years).

I took the 9:30 am tour the other morning. I wanted to beat the clouds that often gather in this region in the later AM and afternoon so I could get the best pictures possible. If you reserve your tour in advance it is $10. If you drop in for the tour, it is $12 (per person). The entrance fee is $3.00.

My guide was Josh and he was a really fun and knowledgeable young man. He really likes questions and engaging with those in the tour. We were focused on all of the really eclectic scented geraniums and uniqe protea. The tour was over too soon but I kicked around and took pictures as the sun started to peek in and out from behind the billowing clouds that were starting to form.

Be prepared to enjoy the gift shop and samples of the different lavender delicacies that are provided. There are so many really fun products to buy with the calming scent of lavender wafting through the air and the visual calming of the lavender colour filling your eyes from left to right! Make sure there is plenty of room on your credit card because you might be inspired to fill your life with a little purple! I have to admit that one of the reasons I had decided to come up on the tour that day was I had been craving their chocolate lavender gelato but they were out that day! Even as I write this I can't get it out of my mind. I wonder if they would let me just pop in to buy a gelato? I only live 10 minutes away. After I write this I'm going to call and ask them.

Because they are at the approximately 4,200 foot elevation level, it can be quite chilly there. Bring a little something warm to wear if needed. Comfortable shoes are a good idea. The parking lot has some dirt/gravel so good stable shoes can really help in this area. I would suggest a walking stick for those who are not 100% stable on their feet.

They open at 9:00 and close at 4pm.

5  Thank MelissaMcCoy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,050)
All reviews
in 12 reviews
"nice stop"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed March 17, 2013

If you are driving to the crater this little side trip is definitely worth it. Don't get it confused with the other lavender place where the bike tours go from, check your map for the correct location. It's a nice stop where you can wander around the garden, get a great view, and have some delicious heated lavender scones and a hot lavender tea if it is cool outside, which it was for us. They have a nice outdoor patio. The downside is they charge $3 a person to enter, which I don't think is necessary since most people will likely buy something from the great variety of products in their store anyhow, they only have port-a-potties, and some areas are a bit steep for walking, which may be hard for some people.

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Oh my!!!!
What a glorious place.
Thank you to all the people, past & present, who have worked so hard to create this beautiful farm.

We felt so welcome to roam the grounds at our own pace.
We saved the gift shop for last and what a treat!
The gift shop manager, (Debora) made us feel so welcome and appreciated!
She is truly a people person, with a warm and generous heart.

Thank you for making our day such a great memory.

Jean Etue
Skagway, Alaska

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Beautiful! Delightful scones and chocolate lav brownies! Gorgeous views and close up photo ops blooms and birds!

1  Thank Kj P