“A gem in Maui”

Ranked #1 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
Fair Oaks, California
“A gem in Maui”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2011

I have been coming to this property for years. The condos are very spacious. The ocean views are awesome. Maui Hill is located on rolling hills on the side of S Kiehi Rd away from the beach, so it is an easy walk and you have peace and quiet away from the swarm of tourists. After you arrive at the airport, pick up your rental car, stop at Costco for groceries, arrive at Maui Hill with great kitchens and outside grills and you are set! The manager, Dennis Costa, is a man who cares about his guests. The heated pool is awesome . Once you experience Maui Hill, you will come back again!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2011

Spent a week in unit 128. Was awesome!

Very spacious, great views of water, Kahoolawe, Molokini, and Haleakala.

New carpet, paint, and living room furniture. Very tastefully decorated. Very clean. Updated bathrooms.

Pool area large. Pool is now heated! Hot tub nice way to end the day. Nice landscaping. Good location across from Keawapu Beach and Mana Kai (nice beach).

Look forward to returning to THIS unit!

Dennis is "the man" on the scene.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank dangrad
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2011

We found the location to be poor. There was a nice beach below the hotel but the layout of the hotel required a 10 minute walk to get to the beach. If you wanted a nice spot on the beach required another five minute walk. The only nice thing is the entrance to the beach had some nice coral formations and fish. Water was too turbid to see much or venture too far along the shore as the wave action worked against you. You had to drive to see anything. Though in of itself some people might like that.

The cleaning staff did a terrible job. Repeated requests for cleaning went on the entire stay of almost two weeks. They simply didn't take the time to do even the minimal job. Some things were done everyday like make the bed. But cleaning the floor every two days (when you asked them) and changing sheets was every four days.

The carpet cleaning and yard workers seemed to do there best to maximize the noise and interruption especially in the morning. This seemed to carry on throughout the entire two weeks.

The activity desk was really not knowledgable at all. I learnt more by reading my travel book then they knew. Do yourself a favor and book things yourself online.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank climbbkr
Cranbrook, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2011

clean, well kept grounds, nice unit with good furnishing and renovated floors, bathroom. Had everything in the unit. very large 1 bedroom condo, with huge living room, 2 full baths, full kitch, 2 balconies. Unit 95. Not immediately adjacent to beaches. About 5 minute walk to south to Keakawapu beach (very nice). Humpback whales jumping offshore from beach. Bring binoculars. People upstairs were up at 5:30 every morning and we could hear the toilets flushing etc.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Kaneohe, Hawaii
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2010

I booked Aston Maui Hill over a month and a half in advance for my parents as a Christmas gift. My parents have not had a vacation in YEARS, so this was their chance to relax and enjoy themselves for a weekend. Now, I knew my dad had relatives on Maui, but I didn't want them to spend their entire weekend visiting them, so I purposefully booked them away from everyone.

My parents arrived at the hotel to check in, and the concierge tells them the hotel is overbooked. Not only should that not have happened being that I booked it way in advance, but there was NO NOTIFICATION! They had my cell number; they even had my parents'. Yet they couldn't even give us a courtesy call to let us know that they were overbooked?!?! It's not like they didn't know! So, what do they do? Send my parents to Aston Maui Banyan. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent hotel, but I SPECIFICALLY booked Maui Hill and that is what they should have received. For one thing, Maui Banyan is much closer to my parents' relatives, which meant they spent all 3 days of their vacation with them, thank you very much. And for another, Maui Hill is a much nicer hotel. I spent HOURS researching and comparing hotels. If I had wanted Maui Banyan, I would have booked Maui Banyan. The LEAST they could have done is upgraded my parents to a nicer hotel since it was THEIR screw up!

When I called the manager to ask for a refund (at least to give me back the difference of what I’d spent compared to Maui Banyan’s price), he told me they will send me a check of $50, which was “a fair amount.” $50 for 2 nights, plus the trouble they caused for my parents. Completely unacceptable! He insulted my intelligence by telling me that was a fair amount! His final offer to me was $100. I immediately looked online at the travel website I’d booked with, and it was at least $156 difference. I took my complaint to the corporate office of Aston Hotels, and they merely forwarded my email to the Maui Hill manager, who finally agreed to refund me $156. Honestly, that is what they should have done in the first place, and the process I went through to receive the bare minimum of what I was owed was a major headache.

Needless to say, I will NOT be booking their hotel again. I doubt I’ll be booking anything with Aston again. Their mistake was unfortunate, and it might have been forgiven if they had gone above and beyond to make up for it, but the way they handled the whole thing was absolutely ridiculous.

Stayed December 2010
11 Thank iceskater48
MHLManagement, Manager at Aston Maui Hill, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
Aloha “iceskater48”,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience. I’m truly sorry that we were not able to accommodate your parents at the Maui Hill Resort. On a rare occasion we encounter issues with our units that are beyond our control and we have to resort to drastic measures, such as finding accommodations at other properties. Rest assured that this is not a standard practice and when it occurred last month our main focus was to secure similar accommodations at a property in the near vicinity. I’m truly sorry that you were not pleased with the accommodations offered your parents and you found the initial compensation insufficient, I am pleased however that we were able to come to an agreement. I hope that despite this your parents were able to enjoy their visit to Maui and bring home many fond memories of our beautiful island. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of further assistance.

Dennis Costa
Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2010

Great location -down the road from all the busy traffic but still close to all needed amenities, beautiful property and view of Haleakala, fully stocked/beautifully decorated rooms, and a very fair price in Hawaii. My husband and I even received an upgraded room free of charge for being on our honeymoon! Only wish they offered king sized beds instead of queen. Tip to travelers: they do not allow late checkout.

We will definitely stay again when we go back to Maui!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MO_Traveler09
LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2010

We were treated with real hospitality and courtesy at this hotel. It was a home away from home, not the newest or trendiest location but a warm and caring staff make this an exceptional place to stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Maui Coast Hotel
Aston Kaanapali Shores
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,468 reviews
Aston at the Maui Banyan

Been to Aston Maui Hill? Share your experiences!