It's not a resort, it's a former Best Western. Once you have that mindset, the MOI is the best thing going in South Maui.
This was our second stay at the MOI and we found things improved. Apparently there are new owners for the complex since a bankruptcy in 2012. The new owners seem very diligent about keeping things clean. Keep in mind the buildings and furnishings are dated, as are many properties in Kihei.
The rooms are tiny but clean. There's just enough space for 2 people to sleep, shower and rest up for another day of adventure. The TV's are not updated but we did not come to Maui to watch TV, did we? Tempurpedic beds in every room are a win for a good night's sleep. Contrary to the resort's website and other reviews, there is now free wifi in all buildings.
Room 227 on the second floor was just fine. The second floor puts you away from the walkways. The second floor units have a walkway/balcony that is shared by only two rooms, so hardly anyone ever walks by. That room is also on the northern part of the building, away from Sarentos and the main parking lot. It even had a peek view of the ocean. I counted 98 steps to the edge of the water on Keawakapu Beach, which is a great beach.
Initially we had booked the "Oceanfront Suite", which is just a combination of rooms 201 and 202. Our goal was to have the beachfront view and balcony. We were well aware of the patio below being used by Sarento's - not a problem. What we did not expect was the lack of furnishings in the front room. There were two small tables with two dining chairs and one rattan chair. Once we moved the dining chairs and a table to the balcony, there was just the rattan chair and table in the front room - making it a very unfriendly place to hang out. We we asked the manager, she told us the couch had been broken and not yet replaced. We decided the suite was not worth the extra $500 over a week and moved to the regular room.
We only parked once in the main lot to avoid its tight spaces. The public dirt lot for the beach on the north side of the building always has plenty of space. There are two convenient paved paths to access the motel.
There's a lot of convenient stuff around MOI:
• Keawakapu Beach is one of the better beaches in South Maui
• We have never been to Sarento's. There's just something about the vibe there that doesn't fit. People do seem to like it.
• The Five Palms at Mana Kai is a 60 second walk from MOI. Great location with fabulous views. There are few places in South Maui closer to the water. Standard dinner rates are not within our budget. We frequented the 3-7pm happy hours with some 1/2 price lupus. It was easy to build a dinner for 2 with 2 drinks for about $40. Meals (not happy hour) are 20% off for MOI guests. That made breakfast prices reasonable, but not cheap. It was also very good.
• The Surf Shack at the Mana Kai had reasonable rental rates for boogie boards, SUPS and such. It was super convenient for us. One thing we did that worked nicely....boogie board rental was $7 for a day. If you rented around noon one day, you could use the board all afternoon and evening the first day and then again the next morning until noon. It was more like 2 days for $7.
• Zacks Deli and market at the Mana Kai has deli items and snacks and beverages that are quite reasonably priced for beachfront. Get a slice of cake (big enough for 2) and and enjoy beachfront dessert for much cheaper than any resort.
Unless somebody fancifies things too much and increases the rates a lot, we will definitely come back to the MOI.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on a splendid stretch of sand 2 miles from Kihei, this low-rise hotel is 3 miles from the championship golf courses of Wailea Resort; Maui Ocean Center is 8 miles away.With louvered shutters, tiled floors, ceiling fans, and island accents, all 87 guestrooms offer compact refrigerators, complimentary local calls, premium channels, coffeemakers, and in-room safes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Days Inn Maui Oceanfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Days Inn Maui Oceanfront Hotel Kihei
- Best Western Kihei
- Kihei Best Western
- Days Inn Maui Oceanfront Kihei