“Rude incompetent service.”

Days Inn Maui Oceanfront
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Kihei
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Rude, lazy, customer service.
 I checked in on a Monday night, booked Mon-Thurs. On Tues I asked to extend the room til Fri. The receptionist said I would need to come back on Thurs to close out the room and pay for Thurs night. I offered to come back sooner, she assured me that I could keep my room and it was all reserved. They had my credit card on file. I didn't question it.
When I came back Thurs I was told THEY HAD SOLD MY ROOM TO SOMEONE ELSE! They had 2 other rooms avail I could move but would need to pay the oceanfront suite rate. Then a different receptionist had the nerve to interrogate me: "HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY THINK WE'D RESERVE A ROOM FOR YOU WHEN YOU DIDN'T EVEN PAY FOR IT. YOU NEED TO LEAVE NOW! AND YOU WILL BE CHARGED A LATE CHECK-OUT FEE BECAUSE YOUR STUFF IS STILL IN THE ROOM" I asked to speak to the mgr ( a step backwards) the kid was just as unwilling.  I offered solutions, put your soon to arrive guests in the other room, put me in the other room for one night at  the promised rate.... THE MGR SAID WE DON'T HAVE ANY AVAILABLE ROOMS FOR YOU. YOU NEED TO PACK UP AND LEAVE!"
The room was small missing a window screen and it took 2 days to get wash cloths even after leaving a note at the front desk. IF YOU LIKE RUDE INCOMPETENCE, this is your place!
After all this they did say they wouldn't charge my card for late check out. I'll check, because you can't believe anything they'll tell you.
I found a place close to the airport for the night.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Knot2picky
porsche4jay, Public Relations Manager at Days Inn Maui Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

First of all I want to thank everyone who wrote a reveiw of their experience at our hotel. On behalf of the new ownership of the Days Inn Maui Oceanfront I would like to aplogize to all guests who experienced one problem or another. Please know that our main priority is you, our loyal guests. The hotel was just bought by our company in the middle of June, 2012 and we assure all our guests that we will work hard to provide you with the best service, quality and accommodations each and every time you stay at our Days Inn & Suites Maui Oceanfront Inn hotel.

We have plans to update and renovate many areas of property and even though our rooms might be small in size, we promise you that our staff will go over and byond what is needed to make sure your stay is comfortable and satisfactory. We encourage each and every guest to contact management each time they have an issue or complaint to insure those issues and complaints are resolved to your expectations.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to serving your accommodation needs in the future.

There are newer reviews for Days Inn Maui Oceanfront

Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel is not big, does not have a ton of extras, you have to go to the office to use WI-FI. This hotel may be older, but it is very clean. The beds are the best; anywhere!! Real Tempurpedic Beds and you get a good night sleep. The room is very small, but who stays in the room in Maui? The beach is the best around and this hotel is close to a lot of great things to do. There is a restaurant, I will review later, its over priced you can do better.

If your looking for a place to sleep and base your vacation, and don't expect to spend to much time in the room, save your money and stay here!!! Use the cash to Scuba, Eat, Hike, Fish or something else fun.

The bathroom is small too, but it works and was clean every day. The bottom floor can hear people above, but we had the Air on all th time and it helped cover up other noise. Everything worked; Fridge, Microwave, Safe, A/C, Fans and Hot/Cold Water.....TV was not an LCD, but we don't watch TV when vacationing in Maui, so we did not care.

We will go back everytime we travel to Maui!!!

Room Tip: Stay on second floor and don't upgrade to the Ocean Front room, save the money you will be happy...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank YourBizDr

Reviewed August 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night only. The hotel is inexpensive, the rooms was small, the shower was not that clean and the shower curtain was attached to one side of the wall only. The bed was comfortable and the sheets were clean. There was a fridge in the room, but we never tried it out to see if it worked. The floor covering on the outside of the room was filthy, and there was big bag of garbage under the staircase. My husband reported it, but the garbage was still there the next day. This hotel needs upgrading and new management. Despite the great location of the hotel, we would never stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room was noisy. Maybe the ones facing the ocean are less noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank uncoco

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Stayed here at the end of July for a couple of nights because we decided last minute to take an earlier flight to Maui. Nabbed a great deal by bidding on priceline at a rate much less than the $89 minus Triple AAA discount. Here's a summary of our two night stay~

Pros:
1) Polite staff
2) Free parking but parking spaces are tight
3) Hotel price is less than most dinners you'd pay for a couple's night out
4) Hotel sits right on beach and takes less than a minute from your room to get there
5) Laundry room facility/coffee maker/mini fridge (if you're too lazy to make coffee--they have complimentary coffee at the office every morning)
6) Complimentary internet use (office computer but no printer)
7) Heard other guests rave about the great restaurant at base of hotel (too expensive for our budget)
8) Fairly good restaurant next door at Mana Kai (we only went for the half off appetizers at happy hour from 3-7pn and $6 for spicy tuna rolls was sooo worth it! One drink per person minimum so we bought the $5 mai tais)

Cons:
1) Hotel's exterior/interior is pretty dated
2) TV is old
3) Window faux wood blind slats were broken-we had to manually fix slat so folks couldn't peek from the outside
4) Tile floor took some getting used to
5) Room is smaller than most hotels
6) Bathroom looks like it's from the 70s
7) Bed has some type of memory foam layer that I didn't care for

Overall, I'd come back to Days Inn because you can't beat the price. Should know my husband and I can adapt to almost anything (except Aston Maui Lu).

Room Tip: If you don't bid through priceline but gt through a different site--make sure to mention your AA...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CeciSanFrancisco

Reviewed July 25, 2012

I'll start with the positives! It is a great location. It is right on the beach. There are two outstanding restaurants on each side. The bed is very comfortable. The staff is very nice, friendly and helpful. A good note; there are new owners and they do plan on updating it so maybe by the time you go, it'll be nicer :)

Now, the only reason I gave anything above a "1" is because of the above mentioned! The first room we went in was upstairs, 2nd floor. We wobbled up the stairs with our luggage and opened our door and much to our surprise..it was not cleaned at all. The beds were still unmade and nothing clean. We wobbled back down the stairs with luggage, back to the office. With apologies, we were given another room which was right beside the restaurant which shared the tiny parking lot (another issue).
We sat our luggage down and attempted to close the blinds so we could go to bed...nope, they were broken. They would not close. We went to the bathroom to discover that the shower stall (no tub) was old and cracked and had no light in the shower stall at all. There are no ledges, shelf or anything for which to put shampoo, soap or anything. We had to set items in the floor. The only light in the bathroom is over the sink.
The floor had a spill which had not been cleaned which became even more evident that floor had not been mopped at all because when I got to the bed, my feet were black! I carried a wash cloth and towel to the bedside to clean my feet (which by the way, only one wash cloth is placed in the room each day!)
We called Priceline to ask them to get us another motel since we paid them for the reservation. They would not accommodate us AT ALL- I will not use them again!!
We went back to the office and they told us they were booked and could not move us. We were forced to sleep in the room with broken shades until morning when the manager came in.
He took us to 3 rooms, all of which had broken showers, no lights in the shower stalls, and all needed paint and general upkeep! The hair dryers looked antique! A box on the wall with a hose that looked like a vacuum hose. Finally found a room with blinds that would shut for privacy and since we already paid priceline, we had to stay. The third day I bought bleach and cleaned the floors by hand down on my knees with a towel!
The rooms on the restaurant side are noisy late at night when those who are a little too happy are leaving, and the other side is a public access to the beach right beside our door! As you step out of our door, there are scuba lessons about 15 ft away. If you pay more for the "ocean front" room, the restaurant uses your patio to seat dining guest and there is only "people view" instead of "ocean view".
Parking! Oh My Goodness!! The spaces are so small you can hardly get out of the car! and the restaurant takes up the parking so you have to park in the gravel parking lot for public access on the other side. Which we ended up liking better, because you are able to get in and out of your car without squeezing it in or denting the other car.
If you want cheap, right on the ocean, go for it! If you want anything nice at all, DO NOT go to this one!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank swopetn

Reviewed July 2, 2012

My wife and I have just stayed three days at the Maui days inn oceanfront hotel and only did so because we decided to extend our honeymoon three extra days and the condo we had rented already had new renters coming in. The reason I had chosen to rent this place is 1. because I had got it on hotels.com for 85 dollars and night and 2. because it had a 3.6 out of 5 star user rating and so I thought it would be not bad. From the moment my wife and I walked into our room we were greeted with the smell of mildew, and it was strong. We promptly looked around our dark, small but fairly clean room and then left to Safeway to buy and air freshening candle. Trying to sleep in any time past 5 a.m. is a real chore at this place. The first night we did not sleep with the a/c on since it was one of the noisiest ones I've ever heard but then were awakened at 2 am by the sound of a dying cat. By 5 am all you can hear is very noisy birds and the sound of the people and their children next door. The second night we tried to sleep with the a/c because at least it was a constant noise and hoped it would drown out the other noises. It did help quite a bit but still found it hard to sleep past about 6 am since the sun shone through our broken slatted blinds. By the final night we kept the a/c on and I had hung up beach towels across the windows to make curtains and we were able to sleep until 8 am like we wanted.
I will not be coming back here, and recommend that you spend the extra 15-30 bucks a night a get some place better.
I will mention that the staff were very nice and did let us have a late checkout of 2 pm but other than the staff the accommodations were not good at all.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Those who wrote any bad reviews of the Days Inn in S. Kihei are just overly picky!! My boyfriend and I were lucky enough to experience Maui for 2 weeks and Days inn became home for us!! Super clean! Right on the beach, next to a five star restaraunt! The only downside is the size of room. But, if one doesn't over pack then you're good to go!! Days Inn is a bit out of the way but truly the best! The staff is amazing!! Make sure to experience hana road!! Also, oceans down the street always has great concerts there! And local boys has the best shaved ice, must try it in Lahaina!! Hope this helps!!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Vicki M

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Maui Coast Hotel
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#19 of 32 in Lahaina
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Days Inn Maui Oceanfront? Share your experiences!