“I WOULD TOTALLY STAY HERE AGAIN”

Days Inn Maui Oceanfront
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Kihei
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I am a single female 45 years old. I stayed for a week at the Day's Inn Maui Oceanfront and have ONLY GOOD to say about my experience! My room was cute and clean. The staff was GREAT! The beach was AWESOME! I hope you have the same experience as me! :-)

Room Tip: I was in room 113 and liked the location.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Tracy K

Reviewed March 29, 2012

This hotel is on a gorgeous beach. OK, that's the only good thing about it!. Do not stay in the so called oceanfront rooms they are no more than a broom closet that sit directly beside the neighboring restaurant that puts their tables and chairs right under your window in the evening and they even put a screen in front of your window so you cannot see out of your so called ocean front room. Now, lets talk about the noise generated from the restaurant. We had to close our windows and turn on the noisy window air conditioner to block out the customers directly and I mean directly under our window. I had my window open and was talking to them about how crazy this was and they were only a foot from my window. The worst part of the stay was the very rude manager with no people person skills who hung up on me not once but twice. When I called his general manager he did not bother to return my call. While I was in the office another customer was arguing with him about his bill and he was just as rude to him. Just beware there are so many other nice places to stay!

Room Tip: Stay away from the so called "oceanfront rooms"
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank renee s
Reviewed March 28, 2012

We recently returned from a four night stay at the Maui Oceanfront Inn in Kihei. I read all the reviews for this property before cautiously deciding to go for it. I was pleasantly surprised, despite some really bad reviews.
My husband and I were looking to stay somewhere near the beach while keeping things somewhat affordable. When we arrived, we asked if either of the two oceanfront rooms were available. They were booked. But the friendly desk clerk said she would put us as close to the beach as possible. Our room (108) was about 20 steps to the beach...not bad! Yes, the rooms are pretty small. We expected that. But it does have a queen bed, a small table and two chairs, a "bar" area with counter, fridge, and microwave (all functioning.) Also, there is a decent-sized TV. There is a separate vanity area with coffee pot. Bathroom is small but efficient. One small detraction was the shower (the plastic floor was cracked at the sides and needed to be replaced.) Everything was impeccably clean. All in all, the room has everything you need to sleep, wash, change, and store your things. It is not a room to spend the day in, relaxing. If you want that kind of luxury, go to the Hyatt in Kaanapali.
When you leave that room, you discover why this place is so great. Directly in front of the Inn, you can sit in one of the lounge chairs on a grassy area overlooking the beach. It is a great swimming/snorkeling/paddling beach. Also, to the side of the Maui Oceanfront is the Mauna Kai, an 8-story condo. At the base of the condo is a great little store/deli, an activity desk, a rental shop, and a terrific restaurant (went there for breakfast, dinner and happy hour!) On the other side of Maui Oceanfront, is Sorrento's (another restaurant that we thought was mediocre for the high prices. Although, the views are terrific.) We didn't take our kids on this trip, but I would take them back here. We didn't even miss the pool. Beach was awesome.
We rented a car, but rarely used it. Kihei downtown is about a 15 minute walk. Wailea is a 1/2 hour walk to the shops. In Kihei, definitely go to Kihei Caffe for breakfast--worth the wait! For a splurge dinner, go to Longhi's in the Wailea Shops at Waler's Village.
If you want high luxury in a room, go somewhere else. If you want to save some $ and stay in a clean, average motel right on the beach, go here.

Room Tip: Ask for any room near the beach.
2  Thank 1deltagirl
Reviewed March 19, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 nights at this hotel in a 2nd floor room. It is located in Kihei, which is close to the airport and a short drive to downtown Lahaina and nearby attractions. We read a number of reveiws from tripadvisor, and overall had a not so good impression about the hotel, but reviews did say this was one of the best beaches. While the hotel is outdated and needs some love, the staff was extraordinarily friendly and the beach truly is one of the best on Maui!! You can't beat the price for this hotel ($100.ngt), and really, how much time do you spend in a room?? It was clean and comfortable, definately not 5 star, but they did have a microwave, coffee maker and tv with good channels. We did not run into any problems with towels as was suggested with other reviews. An afforable hotel for those not expecting luxury!

1  Thank Leese_T
Reviewed March 15, 2012

This place wasnt bad for the price we stayed for (91.00$ a night) but I wouldnt want to pay much more for it. The rooms were clean but TINY. IT was a struggle to find a place to put to carry-on size suitcases. The rooms are a little outdated as well. The bathroom was realllly outdated and not kept up well. There was no counterspace in the bathroom (never knew where to put my stuff in there). The shower was super small. It could be a cozy place for couples who have been to Maui before ( I wouldnt reccomend it for a honeymoon), I personally enjoy staying at the resorts better. I had to go to maui last minute and that why we stayed here. Resorts just offer a all around better hawaiin feel. This place also did not have a pool, which was a huge bummer to me. IT is however located right on the beach which was nice. Some of the front desk staff was beyond helpful and others were not.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank alex5891
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Read the reviews, they are accurate. Terrible staff at front couter, horrible rooms, smallest we have ever stayed in and ants everywhere. Dark, dingy and horrible room. Stayed 1 night and found somewhere else immediately. Maui Coast down the road is fantastic. Staff and rooms!

Room Tip: Go to Maui Coast Hotel, Cost a little more, but well worth it.
2  Thank Tugger_12
Reviewed March 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night before the trip to Hana. The check-in staff was very friendly and offered us a choice of two rooms. The location is fantastic, a little out of the hustle of Kehei proper and right on a beautiful strip of beach. The hotel is hemmed in on one side by a large resort that has posted privacy signs along their property. In contrast, the Days Inn has a sign welcoming the public and encouraging folks to relax in their beach chairs. I appreciate that.

However, the room had a sour odor. In the morning I found a cockroach crawling out of the bedding. I might be able to forgive this if I had paid $100 a night, but I paid $200 a night for this room. We were happy to go.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Maui Coast Hotel
#2 of 3 in Kahului
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Days Inn Maui Oceanfront? Share your experiences!