“Not quite a Motel 6 quality”

Days Inn Maui Oceanfront
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Kihei
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Maui is not cheap. If you need a value vacation, choose either another island or another state completely. We stayed here for one night to save money, and I was disappointed - would have preferred to take a shorter vacation to save $$. Even at $140/night, this Days Inn is cheap compared to its neighbors...but it offers little value. The rooms are so small, it's literally challenging setting 2 rolling bags down AND being able to walk around the bed to the bathroom. It is not as nice as your typical Motel 6, but the A/C worked (if not, there is zero circulation), so it served it's purpose for us to sleep one night.

Soranto's, the high-end Italian restaurant next door that gets rave reviews, is ok but WAY OVERPRICED for the food quality/portions.

Room Tip: Do not take the ground floor room at the oceanfront. It is shared by the restaurant diners nextdoor...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank italygoodness

Reviewed January 24, 2012

Spent a week here in Jan. 2012. Our expectations were not high given the relatively modest prices here. However, things were worse than anticipated. Extremely small rooms, in very poor repair. Water dripping from air conditioner, broken window slats, hole burned through lamp shade, loose ceiling fan, etc. The place was clean, just falling apart. We were moved to a new room while the air conditioner was repaired, and the new room was even worse. We later moved back to the original room. During the moving process I was acosted by a cockroach as big as my foot. Given all this, the staff was friendly and helpful. They tried hard to make things right, they just didn't have much to work with. The problems appear to stem from management. All that aside, the location of the hotel is quite good - on the quiet south side of Kihei, very near upscale Wailea. Best of all, is the absolutely wonderful beach at the hotels' doorstep. Despite this, we would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Try for an upstairs room as close to the beach as possible.
5  Thank Davarua
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Great location, right on one of the best beaches in Maui. But that's were the charm ends. The rooms are extremely small and noisy, but clean. OK if you are not spending any time in your room. After a 2 week stay in Lahaina, we had a late flight out. We checked out of our condo, and spent the rest of the day here before leaving Maui. It served it's purpose for a nice day on the beach, and to shower and change before our flight, but we wouldn't stay here.

2  Thank TravelerBoiseID
Reviewed January 16, 2012

We found the hotel to be very clean, and quite basic, and probably fine for a day or two, but I certainly wouldn't have wanted to stay for a week or more. The value was good for the price, and there were a few unexpected amenities (like a microwave and safe). The problems we had were with the noise - the AC was really noisy so we couldn't use it, the bathroom fan was almost unbearably noisy, when we opened the window there was quite a bit of noise from the restaurant next door. I've stayed at noisier places in big cities in Europe, etc., but I found it a bit irritating in Hawaii when I was looking for a nice peaceful beach experience. The beach behind the hotel was lovely. There was free parking but the spots were really tiny, and there was free wifi at the front desk. There were also beach towels at the front desk but they admitted that they often run out so that you need to get your towel for the day by 9 am.

2  Thank ugogurl
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Let me first say that we had spent the prior 6 nights at the Hyatt Regency on Ka'anapali Beach & the resort was wonderful BUT we were almost always on the go, on the beach, or in the water so we didn't really get to enjoy the resort. The week prior to that we were on the Norweigan Cruise of the Islands & my husband caught a respiratory virus the day before we boarded & was under the weather for a good portion of our trip... We wanted to extend our stay last minute & we decided we didn't need anything fancy. We just wanted a decent location on the beach to sleep & shower that was clean.

I would give the beach 5 stars. The sand here seemed "softer" somehow. I don't even generally like sand. There was a reef for snorkeling right out front which was great. The walk from our room to the beach at the Days Inn was about the same distance we had to walk at the Hyatt from the elevator to our room. This was really nice. You could be on the beach in 15 seconds & there is a convenient beach shower on your way back to your room to rinse yourself & gear off.

A few of the parking spots are reserved for the restaurant (Sarento's) that is also on the property. It didn't fit in our plans but if we have the opportunity to return we would probably eat there. It has good ratings but is expensive. Kind of funny that it is right there with the Days Inn. The parking can be difficult at night (we always found something) but I suspect that after the restaurant closes you would have less of a problem. If all else fails you could probably park at the public beach access lot between the Days Inn & the Mana Kai Resort (not positive about this at night though).

Definitely if you are on the oceanfront building you might be bothered by the restaurant patrons-- esp on the first floor. I think the second floor of the oceanfront building might be better but you still might be bothered by the restaurant patrons/noise. Just something to keep in mind.

Our room did have the memory foam mattress which was comfortable. The room was small especially for us since we overpacked & accumulated a lot of stuff on our trip. I still was able to figure out where to put all of our bags (2 Large Suitcases & 2 Large Duffel Bags with a few smaller bags/backpacks). The bathroom had a shower with a handheld shower no tub. The sink vanity was very small but they did have a couple of shelves on the wall to put things. There was an in-room safe that you had to checkout the key from the front desk. I was able to put my 15.4" computer in at an angle not large by any means but I put in the most crucial stuff.

There was a fridge & microwave. There was a hairdryer & coffee maker on the small vanity (no sink) outside the bathroom. The gal that checked us in was friendly. That was really the only staff member I met since my husband was the one that would trade in the beach towels & made the trips to the office. I thought the outside of the property was very well maintained as well. Two knocks I have against the place was 1. The air conditioning didn't work very well & 2. The exterior windows needed washing on our room.

The Five Palms restaurant is next door at the Mana Kai Resort. We went for Happy Hour the night we arrived. It was a pretty good deal. My husband was definitely rubbed the wrong way by the first waitress/hostess he came in contact with. The next one was much friendlier. We opted to sit above b/c there was a small wait for the bar area. Our waitress was not as attentive as she should have been & we had to wait a bit but we are fairly easy going. Another party got upset about something & left. Other than the Five Palms & Sarento's those seemed to be the only restaurants on that end of the beach (at least within walking distance).

Anyway, we were even willing to camp to extend our vacation 4 extra nights. If you are wanting a "resort" experience this is not the place for you. There is not a pool nor the service of a resort. If you want a clean (albeit a bit dated) place to sleep that is right on a nice beach this is a great spot. If you are used to a little higher calibur of hotel, you probably won't like this place. I, myself, pride myself in being adaptable & not too picky. We enjoyed our stay & would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jillntom
Reviewed January 1, 2012

If you want a decent, no-frills hotel right on a gorgeous stretch of Maui coastline, this is the place for you. The rooms are small, the bathroom tiny, The A/C didn't work great, but the beach is priceless. The price is awesome for the location.

Room Tip: Maui Tacos (just up the road) are awesome!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank KSchmidt
Reviewed December 31, 2011

I'd take all the good reviews on this place with a grain of salt. My wife & I have done a decent amount of travel; we expect to get what we pay for, and nothing more, are generally happy with our accommodation as much of it is researched on TripAdvisor, but Days Inn would have to rank as one of the worst places we've ever stayed.

I won't bore you with the details of our experiences with water running into our room under the adjoining door and soaking a laptop bag and a camera bag. To be fair, that was probably a spill or wet swimming gear left by the occupants, but did nothing to endear the place to us.

As others have said, small and 'cozy'. Well, that's an understatement, as I can only think of two rooms I have ever stayed in that have been smaller. You have to move the table to open the window! The room was as dark as a dungeon, and smelled the part! The bathroom fan roared like a jet engine, and the AC wasn't much better. Thankfully in December there's little need for it at night. The walls are paper thin, and our bed head was under the wooden staircase, and we heard every stomp of people going up and down day and night. It was simply unpleasant to be in, and completely unsuitable for a 'base' for a beachside holiday. You can't eat a meal in there. You can't even open a beer. This place is an overnight truck stop, and nothing more. After 3 days we couldn't wait to leave, and even considered leaving earlier! I pity the poor guys we heard checking in for an 8 night stay!

The service was friendly enough, to a degree, but three things really stood out from our stay:

1. Three days stay and all 3 days they had run out of beach towels by the time we'd asked. On the 3rd day, after turning up at 10am and complaining, they finally (miraculously) "found" a couple of towels for us, and brought them down to our room.

2. They use the guest laundry to wash their own linen. With only 2 machines, we had to wait until the current load finished before we could start ours. And then we had to wait for them to finish with the drier. A whole morning wasted doing laundry. It's disgraceful.

3. This was unbelievable... the so-called 'Ocean Front' rooms - presumably with a premium - have had their courtyards reclaimed by the restaurant next door!!! So not only can you not sit outside your own room and enjoy the beach, but you have a handful of dining tables literally outside your window! And I do mean, literally outside your window. Not 2 feet from the window, which is about 3 feet from the bed!!! Until 10:30pm every night!!! No doubt seating an extra 16-20 people ordering $50 steaks makes a lot more money than wjhatever premium they charge for an 'Ocean Front'. Take my advice, ask for a room *away* from the front, as you don't get a view from your room anyway!

We sat on the beach and looked at the neighbouring accommodation, green with envy. Oh, that reminds me, they chain their handful of beach chairs to the fence, so you can't move them out of the sun into the shade. Right now I'm writing this review from Kaua'i Beach Resort, which cost us the same, and is worlds away in standard. Not even close.

I can say they're clean. The service is friendly enough, but that's as far as I could recommend it. Definitely could *NOT* say it was value for money. It's also on the far extremity of the 'resort stretch', so it's just a little too far to walk for dinner, and my wife & I generally do not mind walking at all.

Room Tip: Don't stay near the beach, nor near the road. Somewhere in the middle.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank tcdev
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Maui Coast Hotel
#2 of 3 in Kahului
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Days Inn Maui Oceanfront? Share your experiences!