We stayed in this unit for 9 nights. We booked through expedia so we had no choice on the room assignment and I was pleasantly surprised. The unit is very nice and it had everything we needed and more. The location was good and the direct beach access off the lanai was great. I was concerned we were assigned a bottom floor unit as I hoped we would not get too hot when the lanai was closed for security but the AC works perfectly and we were very comfortable. Beware that Unit 133 is one of the furtherest from the pool and BBQs. For us, we enjoyed the extra privacy but for others this might be a negative. My favorite thing about our stay was that each unit is accessed with a key pad rather than a key so there was nothing for us to worrry about losing. Yeah - good thinking!!
They have on site excursion bookings and some rentals which was very convenient. There is also on-site massage but I never did manage to book an appointment. When I stopped by they had a sign up to leave your number so that they could text you back. Texting was not an option for me and I was disappointed that they did not allow the option to "phone" me at my unit. There seems to be an overall expectation in Hawaii everywhere we went that you will travel with your cell phone. I did not want to pay the extra international fees so I did not bring a phone (I am on vacation right??). The phone in the unit is no charge for local calls and that's all we needed.
As for things I did not like. The bed was firm to the point that my back hurt the whole time I was there and still hurts 2 weeks later. My husband and I rotated between the bed and the couch trying to get just a few hours sleep every night. I discovered a foam topper in the closet after a few days and that did help some. I find the firm mattress senario is very common in most condos and for me very annoying but I guess we all sleep different. We were also annoyed by the fact that we were issued a certain amount of toilet paper and then after that was used it was up to us to buy what we needed. I understand this is a "condo experience" but really? What happens if you stay for a month? My sister stayed at a condo on the west side of the island and they brought her additional free toilet paper no questions asked. Toilet paper should be included - period! This is something the rental agency needs to work on as it just comes across as cheap and petty!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sugar Beach Resort is an all inclusive, quiet and well located ocean front condo hotel. Each unit is individually owned. The resort is managed by the homeowner's association/Hawiiana Management.The 214 units are ocean front, ocean view, garden view on 5 acres of lush tropical beach front. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Priceline, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Sugar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Beach Resort Condos Hotel Kihei
- Sugar Beach Resort Maui/Kihei
- Sugar Beach Maui