“Unit 133”

Ranked #8 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
Edmonton, Canada
“Unit 133”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed in this unit for 9 nights. We booked through expedia so we had no choice on the room assignment and I was pleasantly surprised. The unit is very nice and it had everything we needed and more. The location was good and the direct beach access off the lanai was great. I was concerned we were assigned a bottom floor unit as I hoped we would not get too hot when the lanai was closed for security but the AC works perfectly and we were very comfortable. Beware that Unit 133 is one of the furtherest from the pool and BBQs. For us, we enjoyed the extra privacy but for others this might be a negative. My favorite thing about our stay was that each unit is accessed with a key pad rather than a key so there was nothing for us to worrry about losing. Yeah - good thinking!!

They have on site excursion bookings and some rentals which was very convenient. There is also on-site massage but I never did manage to book an appointment. When I stopped by they had a sign up to leave your number so that they could text you back. Texting was not an option for me and I was disappointed that they did not allow the option to "phone" me at my unit. There seems to be an overall expectation in Hawaii everywhere we went that you will travel with your cell phone. I did not want to pay the extra international fees so I did not bring a phone (I am on vacation right??). The phone in the unit is no charge for local calls and that's all we needed.

As for things I did not like. The bed was firm to the point that my back hurt the whole time I was there and still hurts 2 weeks later. My husband and I rotated between the bed and the couch trying to get just a few hours sleep every night. I discovered a foam topper in the closet after a few days and that did help some. I find the firm mattress senario is very common in most condos and for me very annoying but I guess we all sleep different. We were also annoyed by the fact that we were issued a certain amount of toilet paper and then after that was used it was up to us to buy what we needed. I understand this is a "condo experience" but really? What happens if you stay for a month? My sister stayed at a condo on the west side of the island and they brought her additional free toilet paper no questions asked. Toilet paper should be included - period! This is something the rental agency needs to work on as it just comes across as cheap and petty!

1 Thank Putz_and_me
araikes, Manager at Sugar Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Mahalo for your review of the Sugar Beach Resort. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the beachfront grounds, pool, and on-site amenities such as the tour-booking company, massage therapist, and bar/deli (don’t know if you got the opportunity to give that try).
Our condo management company does not manage the exact condo you stayed in, but I am sorry to hear that your mattress was a bit firm. Our company and most rental companies on Maui should be able to bring out a mattress pad or padded futon that you can lay over the mattress for extra comfort (just and FYI for future guests).

Happy travels,
Condominium Rentals Hawaii

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Comox, Canada
Reviewed December 30, 2012

What a disappointment with this resort. We were delayed 8 hours in LAX due to the unreliability of United Airlines (another disaapointment) so we contacted TD Travel with whom we booked the accomadation to inform them of our delay. They were unable to reach the hotel. However, operating procedures dictate that guests are to contact an 'on call" receptionist at a number listed outside the front office if arriving after 6 P.M. (a rather eary time to be closing up the office?!).
We finally arrived at 3 A.M. and made the call, left a message and called again, and again, and again. FInally, the onsite security guard, feeling our angst, called as well. Still, no anser. We drove aimlessly around Kihei looking for a place to eat. No luck. At 5 A.M. the 'on call" receptionist called us back and claimed she just got the message.
We decided not to return as we had located friends in Kihei who put us up for the night, err, morning.
I called the main receptionist once the office opened later that day and explained our situation. She couldn't believe what had happened and wasn't sure if we could be reimbursed. Later, the manager confirmed she would take it up with TD Travel/Expeida to process our refund.
While I am sure the facility might be nice, their operations are unreliable and let us down.
Recommend another location where there is a guarantee to get into a unit no matter what the time of day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ladybug_528
Alappuzha, India
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We are currently staying at unit 106. Yes, the location is very good, private beach is convenient. The front desk is polite. However, the unit was equipped with very dirty furniture. I could see the dark layers on clothing and smell the bad odor. I had to call office to replace them. The units themselves seem to be very old and needs lot of maintenance. Then, the fan in unit broke down.
The maintenance was quick but calling them very often was painful. Then, the microwave in kitchen broke down, We got spare loaner and told the replacement would take long time and such. The sofa pull out bed was very terrible - very old piece with worn out springs. I slept for couple of days and was sleepless. I had to go through pains and it was very uncomfortable. The unit is good but we wished the owner has replaced with decent furniture, especially with the huge rental price they charged. If you do not depend on sofa bed then may be ok, but still it was dirty for use I felt.
The TV was old and small. It turned off by itself many times. We finally gave up.
Not sure if condos in Maui in general are so poor and expensive or we just happened to get a bad lemon. By experience I would suggest readers to do their homework.

Room Tip: Ground floors units are convenient to walk to pool.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
araikes, Manager at Sugar Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Aloha and thank you for staying at the Sugar Beach Resort and unit 106, which we manage. I am sorry that you did not find the sofa bed comfortable; we will let the owners know about your complaint. We wish you would have told us about your troubles sleeping, as we would have sent over a futon or padded cushion to lie over the pull-out bed. Looking at our notes regarding your reservation, it looks like we were able to meet all your other requests, such as the delivery of extra blankets, extra towels, a rice cooker, replacement of the microwave, and prompt fix of the ceiling fan.

We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to closely inspect specific elements of each condo and assure all future guests are happy.

vancouver
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed for nine days and really enjoyed ourselves. The location, in my opinion, is great. We never had to drive for long to get anywhere. We shopped at Times Supermarket and Foodland, both just a ten minute drive down S. Kihei.

The kitchen is clean and well supplied. The fridge didn't work. We bought groceries the night we arrived and were quite surprised to wake up and find everything still sitting at room temperature. We waited a day, and played around with the settings before phoning MC&H to report the problem. They fixed it straight away. There were utensils and paper towels, pots and glasses enough and a dish washer. There was a suitable knife as well.

The internet was wired and we called and asked, and they installed a wireless router - which was great. Most of the confirmations and information I had gathered for our trip was locked into my phone, so getting wifi made everything much smoother.

The lanai is the greatest and I'm sure that by sitting out there I added 10 years to my life. The door is screened so at night the doors can be left open to enjoy the crashing surf without any critters crawling/flying in.

The bedroom is dark (which is lovely) and quiet (even better) - it was very easy to sleep in.

The suite is carpeted - which is, I think, the biggest negative. It was tattered at the perimeter and made an otherwise nice suite look worn.

The furniture in the living room is comfortable. We didn't use the pull out table in the living, but ate at the island, which was great.

There is a window on the side wall that looks down onto the pool and community bbq. Pretty great if you want to see how crowded or not either amenity is.

I think the suite is best suited for 2 people - but I can see how 4 could fit. The bathroom is attached to the bedroom, but there is a divider wall that can be pulled across to separate the bedroom. The sofa is a pull out. The bathroom is small but clean and well maintained - a stand up shower and toilet and the sink and mirror just outside.

The greatest part of the suite was while inspecting the cupboards - I found a chicken casserole dish. I don't know why ... it really made my trip.

2 Thank rheo3000
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We've stayed at Sugar Beach once before. Unit 520 is a really nice unit. Well maintained. Fully stocked kitchen (although we always bring our own knives as the ones in any unit anywhere always suck). Best for 2 people although there is a sofa couch. The condo is right on the beach and the beach is lovely for long walks. You can walk 30 minutes south and 1 hour north.

We would rate the unit 3 to 4 stars which is what we wanted. There are no bellboys, drinks at poolside (unless you bring them) and no maid service. If all you want is a homey clean safe place to stay with the only loud noise being the waves (and yes the sea is loud) then this is a good option.

We'll probably stay here again.

2 Thank Andrew H
araikes, Manager at Sugar Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for the review of the Sugar Beach Resort. We do not manage the exact condo you stayed at, but appreciate your review of the property and the fun beach walk that many of our guests enjoy.
We hope to see you again at the Sugar Beach Resort for your next trip to Maui!

Sacramento, California
Reviewed December 1, 2012

BEWARE: We checked in late and was given unit #303. We paid the upgrade to "ocean view". Our "ocean view" condo is in the garden building,overlooking the putting green and pool. Unit #303 faces another building...not the ocean. We called and was told that "we have an ocean view".

The unit itself is AWSOME!!! #303 is beautiful, comfortable and the owner is generous with supplies.

The pool chat and on-site travel folks are wonderful. They booked our lava view air trip with a discount on very short notice. They know their business and are very helpful !!!

Room Tip: Ocean view does not mean ocean front.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
araikes, Manager at Sugar Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Aloha,
I am glad you found condo #303 awesome! I also apologize for any confusion in the classification of our room categories. I have broken down the categories below for clarification for you and any future potential guests:

Garden View: Located on the ground floor with easy access to the pool and central resort courtyard

Ocean View: Located on floors 2 -6 with great views of the ocean, pool, and central resort courtyard

Oceanfront: Located closest to the beach as possible, with panoramic views of the ocean

Oceanfront Ground: Located closest to the beach as possible on the ground floor

The layout of Sugar Beach Resort is kind of like a “V” facing the ocean. The ocean view rooms are closer to the middle of the “V” but still enjoy great views of the ocean.
We hope to see you again at the Sugar Beach Resort!

california
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Unit 311 in the Mill building is a corner end unit, so you have a window facing the ocean as well as the lanai door. Unit is completely updated with new kitchen and furnishings. The owner is very generous with supplies for the kitchen, shower and laundry. Even the sofa bed is comfy. Good a/c and shower pressure. I would recommend this unit to anyone, with no disappointments. The property is beautiful, and well maintained. BUT, I didn't realize it would be that windy, trade winds blow alot almost everyday. And there are mosquitoes from the big pond across the street. Never had them ever before in Hawaii. Although I won't stay here again, cause I always change locations, lots of owners come back time after time and rave about the property.

Room Tip: Units ending in 11 or 12 are corner units facing the pool with an extra window. Views are great for...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank travelingwhere2
Thank you for your review of the Sugar Beach Resort. I am glad you enjoyed the beautiful grounds and beachfront location. The trade winds can pick up in the afternoon, but many of our guests enjoy opening their sliding glass doors and enjoying the cool breezes created from them.