We stayed here for 4 nights. I have been to Maui before and if you are considering staying on the west side near Lahaina, Sugar Beach is in a much better location because you are in the middle of the island. Lahaina is nice until about 10am when it becomes swarmed with tourists so I think the Kihei area is better.
Upon checking in, it was at night and we could not see any signs pointing to a front desk or check in. After calling hotels.com and calling the 800 number for the resort, they were closed. Hotels.com was not able to help me and had me on hold, at one point I just hung up. I thought we would be sleeping in the parking lot. After looking and walking further, we realized the front desk was a little hidden if you go towards the pool area and there was a late check in process that was easy to follow. A sign would have been helpful that was visible from that parking lot.
The grounds are manicured beautifully, the pool is very nice as well, although I did not go in it. The beach is pretty, water is a deep blue color.
Our unit was a little outdated but it was very clean and a good price for oceanfront. I was happy with the price and condition of the unit. The small hallways outside the units had this old greenish carpet and were in serious need of replacing.
The railings looked new so I suppose they are doing maintenance slowly.
Over all, I thought it was a good value for the view and location. I would consider staying here again. If you drive a little south towards Makena, the beach water is more of an aqua color and not far at all from the resort.
It was only 15 minutes from the airport which made the Road to Hana a little easier verses driving back to the west side! Haleakala was also easier at 3am being in the middle of the island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sugar Beach Resort is an all inclusive, quiet and well located ocean front condo hotel. Each unit is individually owned. The resort is managed by the homeowner's association/Hawiiana Management.The 214 units are ocean front, ocean view, garden view on 5 acres of lush tropical beach front. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Agoda, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sugar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Beach Resort Condos Hotel Kihei
- Sugar Beach Resort Maui/Kihei
- Sugar Beach Maui