“Great getaway for couples and families; not walk-able to Kihei” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sugar Beach Resort

Sugar Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
Seattle, Washington
“Great getaway for couples and families; not walk-able to Kihei”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed two nights. I had the opportunity to check out the plantation building, both condos 230 and 324. I ended up choosing 324 due to better views. 230 had boogie boards available for use, though. The resort is set away from Kihei and if you're looking for things to do within walking distance, there's nothing. The pool is good, as is the hot tub. Kihei gets pretty windy, and I believe this area gets especially windy in the afternoon, so keep that in mind. Ocean swimming is fine, but no nearby scuba. Grounds were lovely. Jean at reception was great... Very friendly and helpful. If you want a lower cost resort getaway without frills and stunning views of Maalaea Bay, but don't care about driving everywhere else, definitely check it out! For families and couples not wanting to spend $200+ per night.

• Stayed July 2012
5 Thank Dan E
araikes, Manager at Sugar Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for your kind review of the Sugar Beach Resort. We manage both condos that you viewed and I am glad you found the views, amenities, grounds, and pool a great fit. The Sugar Beach Resort is located in north Kihei on a more secluded beachfront location about 10 minutes from central/south Kihei. While not walking distance to restaurants and shopping, many guests enjoy the tradeoff to have access to the 5-mile unobstructed beach that they can walk along, and if needed it is just a short drive in to Safeway, Longs, and the center of Kihei. We agree that Sugar Beach is a great option for families and couples!

Thanks for the review,

Keith
Condominium Rentals Hawaii

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Bratislava, Slovakia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

Short version: the Condo #505 is great, clean, well equipped. The property is very well located and is good standing. We did not see any urgent need for updates as other reviewers are pointing out.

Long version:
My wife and I staid for 7 days in this particular apartment. It looks newly renovated and everything worked perfectly well and was clean The apartment was extremely well equipped. All what you need if you wanna cook is there; also towels for the beach, a portable cooler, tupperware for picnic, dishwasher, washer and dryer. Books, cd's (kind of weared out), a simple DVD player and music CD player. All in good standing and working.

The furniture is not new, and maybe not stuff you'll find in a catalogue. but there were certainly not bad. Reading some reviews in Tripadvisor we were a little scared about what we would find, but I assure that this apt fulfilled our needs for a visit to Maui (of course this is not the Hilton, neither is the price).

Be aware if you stay in this complex that it is not a hotel, so no clerk at the entrance, no daily cleaning and no special services. Keep in mind that this is condo, managed by Condominium Rentals Hawaii, so don't expect specific hotel attention. I can't complain about the Condo Rental company, they were helpful for a late check in and late check out. There look well organized and I believe that the provided us a good service.

There is a place for dinner/lunch in/near the complex in case you need it (but I suggest you go to Kihei for anything you may need).

The barbecue by the beach is used by many of the stayers but isanyway surprisingly clean.The pool is big, and we enjoyed the hot tub, specially in the cooler of the evening. Socializing here was very easy.

The beach is maybe not the pristine beach we expected from the travel brochures, and we actually never dipped a toe there as thera are better beached nearby. But for the complex is so conveniently located for Lahaina, Kihei and the airport. Be aware that all the hotels in the South Kihei and the northern Lahaina/Kanaapaali areas are not as centric as this one.

Bottom-line: we would return anytime to this place without any doubt, as long as the price stays reasonable as now.

Room Tip: Take a higher floor (5th). All apt have ocean view, but the ones on the front have the best view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Pauak
, Manager at Sugar Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for the kind review of Sugar Beach and ocean view room 505. We also appreciate your words about our condo rental company. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to host you again in coming years.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

This is an old complex in need of serious updating. I love the convenience of location, but was highly disappointed with the rooms. We had mold in the living rooms and the wall papered 1980 look is not what we expected. The beach is nice and never crowded, the pool area is clean and enjoyable, the BBQ area is horrible needs new grills and a face lift. I guess you get what you pay for, so be careful that value doesn't hurt your expectations!! We will stay on the west side for now on not here!

Room Tip: Shop around!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BradleyinSeattle
araikes, Manager at Sugar Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Aloha and thank you for your review of the Sugar Beach Resort. We agree that the location and on-site conveniences (bar, massage services, mechandise store, tour agency, etc.) are all great. I am sorry you did not enjoy your particular room. I am not sure if you stayed in one of the rooms that we, Condominum Rentals Hawaii manage, as we pay close attention to room quality and work with our owners to make upgrades that we see fit. If you do return to Maui in the future, (whether staying with us or another condo management company), I encourage you to browse through some photos of the various units available to assure that you find one that perfectly fit your needs. Our agents always love to help!

Happy travels,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

Great place. Stayed in unit #115 and it was fantastic. Updated, clean, and spacious. The beach was 20 feet from the lanai and the water was fabulous. Quiet property. Perfect getaway. Only downside is the distance from downtown Kihei, but wasn't prohibitive. Will definitely return and hopefully stay here again. Highly recommend.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank hoorayfarray
MauiCondoMarina, Manager at Sugar Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Aloha and Mahalo (Thank you) for your review. I am so happy to hear that you had a great stay in unit #115 at the Sugar Beach resort. Having the ocean a few steps from your condo really makes for a special vacation. We are very pleased to hear that the unit was updated, clean and spacious. We do have staff go to each unit before arrival to ensure that everything is cleaned and in working order for the guests arrival. Thank you for highly recommending the Sugar Beach Resort. Please do not hesitate to contact us when planning your next Maui vacation so we can reserve unit #115 for you again or another unit of your liking.
Mahalo, Marina, Maui Condo and Home, LLC.
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

We managed to get a "penthouse" condo, a one-bedroom unit on the top floor, at about $150/night; this rate "includes" an Alamo rental car on which more later. I agree with most of the other reviews: these are all older places furnished by their owners, so the décor will vary a lot. Ours smelled a bit sweaty, and the queen bed was made of bricks, but it had plenty of kitchen stuff to play with and the view from the large lanai was awesome. The bedroom is on the street-side and the air conditioner is pretty noisy, so sometimes we could hear the surf but more often either road or A/C noise in the bedroom. The A/C goes off automatically when you open the lanai door, and it also goes warmer at night, so apparently it's all on some centralised control system. They make you sign an agreement on check-in promising to close the door each time you leave, and there are loads of warnings about leaving things locked, so I felt a bit like I needed to be constantly vigilant about security. Most of the other guests were middle-aged paunchy folk like us, so no need to feel embarrassed to turn up at the beach or pool. Aside from the road noise, it was extremely quiet in our unit for the whole week (mid-May 2012).

As for the car-- the package included the base rate, unlimited mileage, sales tax, and one additional driver, but we added extra for collision damage. The first car they gave us (a "free upgrade" because they didn't have any compacts) was a Honda Accord with 24k miles that made horrendous noise; we returned it the next day and got a much newer compact Ford, and the people at Alamo were extremely friendly and helpful about it. It was a great car; we actually enjoyed the 52-mile journey to Hana and back, as well as Haleakala. Skip Lahaina-- all tourist junk and bad restaurants; and Wailea-- streets paved with gold. What happened to all the Hawaiian historic sites that were there 30 years ago on my last trip??

All in all, I think if there's a next time I'd go to another island and look harder at a staying in a hotel with a coffee-maker included. It wouldn't cost more, it would be cleaner and more consistent from room to room.

Room Tip: Stay in a beachfront unit on an upper floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank LOL55186361
araikes, Manager at Sugar Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Aloha,

I am glad your condo rental + Alamo car rental worked out well for you. We are happy to offer our guests the discounted rates we have with Alamo so they can save on their vacation.
If you plan to visit Maui again in the future, I encourage you to speak with our reservation agents to select a specific unit to your liking and also for tips on visiting beautiful historic sites. We would love to help out!

Mahalo,
seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

The resort is lovely with lush green lawn,plenty of chairs, and nice family atmosphere. The beach is silky soft but the water is not clear so not fun for me to swim. The sound of waves and million $ view kept me from fleeing PH30. The smell was musty mildewy and it was muggy with all the windows closed and LOUD a.c. not cooling the room below 73 degrees. I immediately flung open sliding glass door and did not shut it until check out. Thank goodness I liked the balmy temps because the condo temp was always 73 to 78 degrees 24 7. The towels were OLD, dingy, and wrinkled so I was unsure if they had been washed. I didn't find spare towels until day 4 when I looked inside the dryer. Bed linens are OLD, smelled musty, and when I pulled a blanket from the closet I wanted to gag as it was covered with hair and so filthy. Some of the baseboard tiles in kitchen are falling off. The condo's furnishings, fixtures, wall paper, and paint are old and icky. But the shower was the worst. MILDEWY with dirty grout and thick dusty grime on the fans. I never saw bugs thank goodness. I won't return to this resort.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mol m
araikes, Manager at Sugar Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Aloha,
I am glad you enjoyed the Sugar Beach Resort property. I agree the view and ocean-front proximity are unforgettable. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your particular unit. PH30 just recently underwent a new painting, so there is no longer any wall paper that you mentioned. As for the décor, each condo we manage is owned and decorated by the owner. This condo actually features a couple pieces of pricey art on the wall, but perhaps the style is different from your tastes. We have put a note into housekeeping to look at the towels and bedding.
I hope you reconsider staying at the Sugar Beach for a future visit as our reservation staff will gladly send you photos of various unit options so that we can assure you are in the perfect unit that fits your needs.

Mahalo,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

I adore Maui and this quick visit was my 10th trip. I generally stay in Kihei or Wailea as I like the laid back vibe and the convenience of all the bars, restaurants, Costco etc (gotta have my creature comforts) This was my first stay at Sugar Beach and I would highly recommend it to travelers looking for a quiet, picturesque setting that is centrally located. I stayed in #326. The unit was well maintained, beautifully furnished and very comfortable. The views were magnificant and the people I met were friendly and helpful. If you're looking for a party, look further down the beach. If you want to be smack dab on the beach, slow it down some for a few days and have a convenient, clean location - this is your spot.

Room Tip: HIgher is better - view is amazing.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank LuAnn7777
Aloha and Mahalo Nui Loa (Thank you very much) for your review of Sugar Beach Resort # 326. We are the rental management company for this condo and we are so happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself so much. It is very difficult to try new accommodations, especially when you have returned to the same place for so many years. I am glad that you found condo #326 to so well-maintained, beautifully furnished and comfortable as those are some of the top things that we strive to bring to our guests. Thank you for taking the chance with us and we hope to serve you again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance to you.
Mahalo, Marina, Maui Condo and Home, LLC.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Maui Coast Hotel
Mana Kai Maui
#8 of 62 in Kihei
Days Inn Maui Oceanfront
Kihei Kai Oceanfront Condos

Been to Sugar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!