“Lovely condo complex, but do not rent unit 306”
Review of Nani Kai Hale

Nani Kai Hale
Ranked #45 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
Desert Hot Springs
“Lovely condo complex, but do not rent unit 306”
Reviewed October 26, 2010

This condo complex is located right on the beach and is very nice with ocean views from the lanai's. Only down side is, if you should need it for anything there is no open office.
I strongly recommend that you do not rent unit 306. On his ad, the owner offers low prices for Sugar Beach area and it turns out he is quoting prices for a studio. He is taking a standard one bedroom condo with two baths and dividing it into studios.
The entire unit needs a deep cleaning or better yet a remodel. You will not be able to go barefoot, the floors are so dirty, even after I mopped them myself. The furniture is old and dirty and bed and sofa so soft as to be unuseable. I slept on the floor my entire visit.
Being anxious to stay on Sugar Beach at these prices, I made the mistake of renting from this owner even though he demanded a cash deposit before providing me with a rental contract. After asking repeatedly, he never did issue a valid rental contract and refused to answer any of my questions prior to my stay.
Upon arrival I was confronted with floors that had not been swept, a key that didn't work, a tv remote that was placed in a location where it could not be seen and not sufficient lighting in living room and bedroom.
My cell phone was ruined when I was walking on the beach and a wave bigger than expected knocked me down. I than discovered that there was no working phone in the unit. When I reported this to owner, he said he would have the telephone company out the next day. He failed to do so, so I had no phone service for the remaining 5 days of my stay. After failing to follow through providing me with a phone, he never did return any of my calls.
This guy is in it for a quick buck only and know he has no chance of ever having returning tenants.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank shihtzu5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Milwaukie, Oregon
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I neglected to post a review after my stay at Nani Kai Hale last summer, but want to share my experience and photos for those considering this property. It was a spur of the moment trip and budget was a prime consideration. Although I have been to Maui many times, I have never stayed in the Sugar Beach area. The condo (#304) and complex far exceeded my expectations. All 1 bedroom units have 2 bathrooms, which is rare in the price range. Most have A/C. The oceanfront lawn area is wonderful, with great views and just a few steps to either the pool or the sand and ocean. Plenty of loungers and a very pleasant BBQ area. The strong breezes did not bother me, and were actually refreshing in the hot summer. Oceanfront units end in "9"...for instance 509 would be oceanfront on the 5th floor. The lower the number, the closer to the back of the complex.
My mid-way back unit still had a decent view from the lanai. There is an empty field next to the complex, which is nice. Nani Kai Hale will be my #1 choice the next time I need a 1 bedroom unit.

Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank Barbara5353
Nashville, TN
Reviewed September 22, 2009

We stayed in unit 304 which is a privately owned unit on VRBO. Our unit was great, it had wifi, came with an ice chest and beach toys, and was very clean and nice. There are also grills on the beach which make it nice to cook at home. The kitchen was fully stocked with proper utinsils. The only downside is that by noon it is very windy in northern Kihei. We were there for a week and half of the time we were at another part of the island anyway, so it didn't matter that it was windy. When we did want to go to the beach in the afternoon, we had to go to another beach. The location was great, it was very easy to get to the north and west from this condo. There aren't any grocery stores real close, so you have to somewhat plan your trips. Overall, I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Terrell, Texas
Reviewed September 8, 2009

My husband and I were in unit 509 for one week in August. We used VRBO for the rental. Everything was as described. It is very clean and updated. The kitchen was well equipped. They have a comfortable king size bed, two bathrooms and flat screen TV in the Living area (although we rarely watched TV). But what really sold us was the lanai. Or rather the view from the lanai. For our first trip to Maui I wanted a true beachfront condo and this is what we got. We ate every meal on the lanai just so we could take in the beauty of our surroundings. Unit 509 is at the end of the complex, facing the ocean. No other condos in front or on either side. And when we wanted to go in the water, we were literally steps from the beach. I can't recommend unit 509 enough. If we ever are lucky enough to go to Maui again, I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank texdem
Tacoma, WA
Reviewed July 9, 2009

We rented 509 from VRBO - I did so much research - and this place had everything I wanted. It is one of only 6 condos that look right at the beach and water. It is a magical view. We arrived and Kathy had put welcoming items for us and a very nice note. Waters, chips and cookies for us. The beach is a perfect swimming and playing beach. The pool is also perfect. My kids, ages 6 & 8 had a ball. Also the location is so nice. We were close to the main part of Kihei - but felt away from the main action so it wasn't too noisy. I would highly recommend this place. Clean, wonderful neighbors, laundry facilities on each floor, great kitchen, barbecue area and super comfortable bed.....ahhhhhhhh.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Jilltoons
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed May 31, 2008

We stayed at Nani Kai Hale, room #302 May 14-23rd. We wanted a 2 bedroom as we have a young son. We got married while on Maui and a friend and her family and my Dad stayed at NKH as well. (602 & 509)

GOOD POINTS: it has everything you need...air conditioning in every room, king beds, kitchen, dishes, towels, iron, blowdryer, washer/drying on the same floor/communal BBQ/proximity to beach/central location/

1) When we arrived the room obviously had not been cleaned (or cleaned well), there was moldy grout in the main bathroom shower, and moldy caulking in the second bathroom's bath tub. The floors throughout were filthy. The grout was black but obviously not meant to be. Our son's clothes were noticeably dirty after only a few minutes of crawling around. We had to request the room be cleaned, which it was (though the carpeted bedrooms remained dirty). I wonder if the bedding was ever cleaned after the last people? YUCK
2) We were not informed until a short time before our arrival of the street construction. Given our room's close proximity to the street, and that we were in our condo during the day for our son's naps, we noticed and were bothered by the noise.
3) We were also not informed at all about building construction going on above and around our room. It was so loud our son did not nap. We had to request the construction be at a different time in the day so he could sleep...though some days his naps were irratic (being away from home and a schedule change) and the noise still interupted his sleep.
I am sure the owners of the suite would be very dissapointed to hear all this.

Our friends staying in #602 had similar complaints (very un-clean & noisy) They also had 2 little ones and when we let them all play the floors were very dirty.

MY DAD'S ROOM #509, was managed by the owner (not by the Nani Kai Hale managment office). It was beautiful. Clean and had an answering machine so we could leave messages for him. This ocean front suite was just lovely.

The LOCATION: the condo has a pool & BBQ beach side. Which is great except for the wind. After 2pm, it was so windy we really didnt spend any time at the pool or beach. Our 1 year old son didnt like it, but our older Niece and Nephew (5&6) didnt mind too much.

I don't think we would stay there again.

• Liked — centrally located
  • Disliked — very dirty
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank LisaM125
HumpbackHelper, Manager at Nani Kai Hale, responded to this review, July 21, 2008
As of July 1st, 2008 Bello Realty, Inc. has taken over the management of the front desk at Nani Kai Hale. We are aware of the complaints that have occurred in the past and we are working diligently to ensure they don't happen again. We have begun making many new changes, including hiring a new cleaning staff, that we hope will leave a positive, lasting impression on all of our future guests. Please call us at the toll free number listed above if you have any questions.

Jason Bello
Bello Realty, Inc.
welland, ontario
Reviewed October 30, 2007

Nani kai Hale ..October 1 2006 - Nov 13 2006

I went to maui and joined my husband, who was already there. He was doing a job in Paia. He did the demolition of the sugar cane plant.
We stayed in 3 diifferent condos while we stayed there. Each room was just as lovely and clean as the next. The staff was very friendly, kept the yards and building was very well cleaned and maintained. I would like to compliment Shannon from the office for a job well done. You are an exceptional lady. I got to know her quite well. I had to get up at 530 every morning to get my hubby off to work and it was a wonderful view from the lanai watching the sun rise and go down over the beach in the evening. I met so many wonderful people that own their own condos and I hope to see them again soon. We are planning a trip in 2008. We will be going back there to stay. did I tell tell you about the coffee and donuts brought out to the bbq area on fridays by the staff...mmm good. We cooked most of our meals at the bbq each night and it was like living there, not a vacation.
Even though my hubby worked all week we did get to do a lot of site seeing together on the weekends. We went up Halaekala, did the road to Hana, went snorkling on a cruise, did the helicopter ride over the island, The Garden of Eden, spent lots of time at the beach all over the island. We were also there during the earthquake that hit maui on October 15, 2006. It was 7am in the morning and 6.7 magnitude. now that was scary. But I will still go back. The waterfalls are breathtaking, but mostly the restaurants and shopping are to die for. I loved the shopping,.
Can't wait to get back there and Nani kai Hale.
Bev Gearhart

• Liked — view of the ocean(loved everything about this place)
  • Disliked — having to leave and come back home, (couldn't find anything wrong with accommodations)
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank bevm57