“Good Place for the price”

Aston at the Maui Banyan
Ranked #11 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
Broomfield, Colorado
“Good Place for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2005

For the price, the Maui Banyan is a great place to stay. The first room I was given smelled smoky even though I requested a non-smoking room. The front desk promptly got me another room and was very friendly to me the whole time I was there. The condo is in a great location of Kihei with a beautiful beach right across the street and shops and good food within walking distance. Even thought he complex is a little old, the facilities were kept very clean and were being maintained. I was very nervous in staying at this location due to the reviews I read initially but can tell you I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this place was not too horrible.

• Stayed September 2004
16 Thank blainesh2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2005

We just returned from Maui.The Maui Banyan was a descent hotel. The room that we had was in section G, it had no roaches or other pest of any kind. Overall the room was clean. It was located across from the beach which was great for those who don't rent a car. The pool area was kept in good condition and the overall area of the hotel was well kept.

Stayed July 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2005

After reviewing many properties on line and using this site I booked a one bedroom unit through Aston properties directly, having heard that those who do so, rather than through Travelocity or Expedia, receive better treatment. Our unit (all of the units are individually owned) was on the first floor (H building) right over the lobby and directly across from the three story parking lot with its all night lights shining in our windows. The unit was sparsely decorated and I agree it was very 70's or 80's vintage. The drapes were torn, the screen door stuck and worst of all, the sofa bed which we counted on for sleeping was completely broken--a third of the supporting mechanism was missing. We could not use the sofa for sleeping and could only sit on the far ends of the sofa when it was folded up. I reported this and was told that the unit's owner probably had a new one on order and I was offered a roll away bed. When I addressed the issue of living room seating I was only asked if I still wanted the roll away bed. No beach equipment available as in other units I have rented (chairs, umbrellas, mats, etc.) no notepaper by the phone or pens, and there was no charming island decor . The carpet was stained and the linens were worn out--holes in the blankets. So even though the location is wonderful (directly across from Kamaole II beach) and staying across the two lane South Kehei Road was not a problem, I was very disappointed in the quality of this property. The grounds were ok, nothing special, and the outside concrete was dirty and needed cleaning. This was my big trip with my daughter graduating from high school and my only regret was where we stayed. There are other more desirable appearing properties in the same area that I would investigate before staying at the Aston at the Maui Banyon or whoever now manages this property.

• Stayed August 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Roseville, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2005

I just returned from my first trip to Hawaii with 3 other groups in my family. We all stayed in seperate units; 3 in all. The Aston Maui Banyan is stuck in the early 1970's. This properties landscaping appears clean and well maintained, however, plant materials are poorly cared for. Pool area and walkways are kept clean. However, condo interiors are poorly cared for; badly in need of painting, new carpet, etc. Furniture is indicative of the 1970; some units have updated appliances. My unit had many mirrored walls, which hadn't seen window cleaner in some time. Glass shelves in the bathroom were covered with stuck on dust. No attention to details here. No central air. There are wall units in most rooms, but some do not work. We reported it and received an electric fan. It is within walking distance of a beautiful beach. Just be sure your bathing suit has a pocket big enough for the 3 keys they give you. You have to sign an agreement to pay $75 if you lose them! There is no concierge, no one to help with your luggage and only one luggage cart. Try carting luggage for 7 people to the 4th floor in one elevator that's not exactly convenient to all units. (That elevator was out of service one day. So those in my party on the fourth floor had to negotiate the stairs all day.) Don't expect clean towels everyday unless you're prepared to ask. I will never stay at another Aston property. This place left me with a very poor impression of Kihei. Had I known the reality of what I was getting, I would have gladly paid more for a hotel/resort in Wailea.

• Stayed July 2005
15 Thank travelencore1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2005

If all rooms at this condo are as well kept and beautifull as the one we stayed in I would recomend this condo to any one. Not only was the room clean but the rest of the condo property from the parking area to the pool I felt was very well maintained. I found the staff including the security personal to be very friendly, sociable as well as perfesional. We were in builing H room 501 who ever owns this room I say thank you for letting us into your home. As for location it was walking distance to several different beaches, restaraunts and shops. It was a wonderfull experiance. I would love to come back and stay here again. I can't really think of anything that i didn't like! Oh and in case you're wondering I didn't find a single bug other than a baby geko in our room that we promptly shooed out the door.

• Stayed June 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2005

we were staying in hawaii for 2 weeks first week we stayed at the kahana village never would stay there again let's put it this way after staying there the first week i won't go back to hawaii again. i was suppoed to stay at the gardens of west maui but found out that they had home steaders next door and there was a rooster that started crowing at 4:oo A.M.( i was there on a timeshare exchange) after ----- they put my husband and i up at the banyan. It was wonderful nice quite close to things the people were nice. I would recommend this place very much.Hawaii is very expensive like $8.00 for a gal. of milk. Went shopping at safeway bought value pack sirloin steak $25.00 for three pieces that is a value when you pay $32.00 for one piece when you go out to eat. Gas $2.76 gal. If you go to Hawaii on a timeshare exchange make sure you know exactly what you are getting. i own a five star time share in Florida and when i bought (you know how they promise you the world when they want you to buy)they told me that you will never stay in less than you have wrong own 5 star stayed at a 2 star. Plus timeshare people are like second class when you stay at a hotel/timeshare. i asked if we could have a late check out but the hotel can't answer that because they have nothing to do with the time share you have to call some one else. If you stay at the hotel you get a curtisy check out of two but timeshare one there are a lot of privledges you don't get. There are a lot of things i am learning about timeshare that i don't like. You live and learn as they say. Florida or the carribean is just as beautiful.

Stayed May 2005
5 Thank 7890
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2005

The Maui Banyan exceeded all my expectations. I rented a 2-bedroom/2-bath suite with a partial ocean view for five nights with the fifth night free. Everything was far better than what I expected, including the view from the lanai. I could see much of the ocean to my right, and to my left I could see the verdant slopes of Mount Haleakala, and the pool was directly below. Each morning I awoke with the view of swaying palm trees and green mountains. It was truly a paradise. The pool area, the walkways to/from the beach which was across a small 2-lane street, the rooms--it was all far and above what I anticpated when I booked this place several months ago. The rooms were clean, well-decorated, and fully equipped. Not only was Maui THE best vacation spot I have ever been to (and I've travelled the world!), the Maui Banyan was amazing for the price. There is something for everyone in Maui, from mountain climbing to ocean kayaking to being lazy on the beautiful beaches (the list of activities is endless!!), and coming back to the Banyan each day was a treat. Everyone in my party loved the island and our place. We couldn't stop talking about how nice everything was. After surfing lessons, laying on the beach or driving the Hana Highway, returning to the lanai with its amazing views was surreal. I will definintely visit Maui again and stay not only in the Maui Banyan, but in the exact same room--which the front dest said I could do! I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed June 2005
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Maui Coast Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#12 of 32 in Lahaina
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,888 reviews

Been to Aston at the Maui Banyan? Share your experiences!