“Maui Banyan Resort”

Ranked #12 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Maui Banyan Resort”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I am from Cincinnati-a part of Travel Advantage Network. I found vacation to be the 2nd best next to my trip to China a few years back. THE LOCATION IS PERFECT. RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE BEACH. Plenty to do in the area-restaurants, shopping, beach. Wailea is a five minute drive-plenty to do and see. The resort is very very...well kept. Each morning the groundsmen are outside and each morning the pool man is washing down the lawn chairs. The grounds are clean and are very well maintained. The people at the service desk are extremely friendly. Each unit has different "beach" amenities. Ours came with towels and some doodles for floating-no chairs. BUT each unit is different. Each property owner is responsible for their own interior unit-overall ours was very clean. The beds were made, the kitchen was cleaned and equipped with dishes we needed. Our balcony could have been cleaned a little more-but this is a responsibility of our travel company's cleaning service (not the resort). The grills are cleaned each morning and the pool is kept nice. We actually grilled out twice during our stay. Each morning I would get my morning exercise by walking the 3 Kamole beaches (which are all connected) and on my return, stop at this little tiny "hole in the wall eatery" and pick up some homemade banana break and a fresh fruit smoothie (the highlight of my morning). I highly recommend this resort to anyone planning to visit Hawaii. Great place for a family, individual, or couple stay. There is also a tennis court across the street.

Room Tip: I don't remember seeing a fitness center (it may have one-but I am not sure). The tennis courts...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dawnetta H
astonmauibanyangm, Manager at Aston at the Maui Banyan, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Aloha and Mahalo for choosing the Aston Maui Banyan Resort.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and shared about your visit with our readers.

No, there is no fitness center here however with the beautiful beach right across the street it would be a great work out to stroll near the water every day :)

We agree that our location is prime and yes, every unit is individually owned and therefore no two rooms are the same.

We hope to see you again in the future and appreciate your posting.

Mahalo from the staff and management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Little Falls, Minnesota
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I am a little late with this review. My mother, my sister and myself stayed at the Maui Banyan The second week of November 2011. The hotel was very nice, clean and the trip planner at the hotel explained pretty much everything we needed to know. We went on some wonderful day trips and saw as much of the island that we could. Our Hotel room had a kitchen so we went to a local grocery store and made many meals in the room. Also a washer and dryer right in the room. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank dennises5
Aloha and Mahalo for sharing about your stay at the Aston Maui Banyan Resort.

We welcome reviews all the time and are glad that you shared. The comments and concerns posted help our future travelers and we also want everyone to know that we are just a phone call away from answering any of your questions or concerns.

Thank you for choosing the Aston Maui Banyan Resort and A Hui Hou (until we meet again)

The staff and management
Saskatchewan
Reviewed April 13, 2012

This was our first visit to Maui. Stayed in building "T", unit was clean and comfortable. It was nice to have breakfast/lunch in condo and eat out for dinner. Great restaurants and shopping close by!
Parking was available very close to building. We utilized the bbq's which were right by the pool.
Nice to have washer/dryer in unit. The staff were great and always pleasant and helpful when we needed anything. Very close to beach {across street} Will definitely stay here again next year.

2 Thank Belle017
Aloha and thank you for sharing about your stay with us.

We agree that the amenities we provide are very convenient and many guests' choose us for those reasons. As a reminder to future guests, the washer and dryers come with the one and two bedroom units only.

Have a great day and Mahalo for choosing Aston Maui Banyan Resort
Kent
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We were impressed with how they were constantly improving the grounds. The staff that we encountered were friendly. Our condo was beautifully remodeled (P410). We loved the location with a great beach within walking distrance. We were a short drive to other areas to visit and snorkel. We also enjoyed staying in Kehei rather than the busy night life of Lahaina. Even though Lahaina was fun to visit!

Room Tip: Try to find a remodeled one. Ours was a great room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Aloha and thank you for sharing about your visit to Maui.

Guest comments are very helpful to future travelers and we appreciate your sharing about Kihei and the Island.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Aloha from the staff and management of Aston Maui Banyan Resort
Boston, MA
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I can’t agree more with the person who posted below. I must have been there at the same time, because I was there for the fire alarm fiasco too.

I stayed in unit P 108 b. We stayed here for a week of our honeymoon and we were very disappointed. The only thing this place has going for it is the location to the beach and some really great restaurants. The room was a pit. It was extremely outdated and it didn’t seem clean. The décor looked like something out of the 80’s and was that cheesy tropical/Florida motif. None of the appliances in the place seemed to work properly. The unit we stayed in was a lockout. I think that my husband and I got the better end of the deal because we could hear the people in the other side of the unit complaining about the size of their place through the paper thin walls. Speaking of the walls, they were so thin that we could hear every conversation, everytime they did their dishes, rummaged around there luggage, watched TV (my husband and I had a great time trying to guess the program they had on). At one point I even heard them popping popcorn in the microwave! I got confirmation on this when the delicious smell wafted through the walls.

The one thing this place doesn’t lack in excitement! Our first night there we had the fire alarm that wouldn’t stop for hours. I woke up looked out the window to see two police officers sprinting past our unit followed by a squad car booking it down the street. I stepped out of the room and was greeted by two firemen. It was like being in the Twilight zone! What a pleasant way to wake up on vacation! The scary thing is that my husband and I almost slept through the alarm because you couldn’t hear much over the rusted window unit AC that was right beside the bed. I spoke to one of the maintenance people about the hubbub the next day and he said it was all because a group of locals staying in two of the condos upstairs got into a brawl that started in a condo and then spilled out into the hallway where they damaged the fire alarm and somehow also broke something in the elevator. That was not the only time we got to see the cops at the Maui Banyan. They were back on our second day (an employee told me that somebody reported that they saw something suspicious and called it in), and also on the fourth day of our visit when some drunk guy on a bike fell down, stumbled around, and then passed out on the curb and the entrance.

I recommend that anyone avoid this place if at all possible. From what I have seen online it seems pretty affordable, but I wouldn’t put myself through this for any cost. It cost too much money and takes too much time getting to Hawaii to stay in a dump when you get there! After reading the other reviews it seems that the management only replies to the negative reviews with a bunch of lame excuses when they should just fix what is broken! If you do end up in the area I recommend you go to Café O’ Lei for at least one meal (we went 3 times), have a few margaritas at Fred’s, and snorkel at the beach across the street. I saw more beautiful fish and sea turtles right at the beach than I did on my paid for snorkeling tour.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank meagan2384
astonmauibanyangm, Manager at Aston at the Maui Banyan, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Aloha and thank you for sharing your concerns about your recent stay with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. Guest satisfaction is very important and we appreciate the opportunity to investigate and respond.

The unit you stayed in is not in the Aston Management program however we have forwarded your comments about the interior of the unit to the appropriate management company for direct response to you.

In regards to your experience about the fire alarm please understand that it had nothing to do with any other situation that may or may not have occurred at our property. The fire alarm was not broken or damaged by anyone and no pull stations were activated,

The fact is that there was a malfunction to the module on the fire alarm which is not something that can easily be foreseen. We hope that everyone can understand how critical a fire alarm system is and we are glad that it indeed was a false alarm.

It is important for everyone to note that for the safety of all guests a fire alarm cannot just be disarmed! We understand the inconvenience however please know that proper investigation must occur and authorities such as the police and fire department may be involved to assure the safety of all guests.

We are sincerely sorry to all guests of the Maui Banyan for the inconvenience they may have experienced however the module malfunction was not in our control and has since been replaced.

Thank you for allowing us an opportunity to respond and if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact the property directly.

The staff and management of the Aston Maui Banyan Resort
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Aloha, this was my fourth stay at the Maui Banyan this year, and I have begun to recognize people who also come every year the same time of year. It's rare in Maui to have such a high percentage of return visitors. From my conversations around the pool, it seems that most are Canadian, especially from Calgary and Vancouver.

Anyway, why do so many people come back to this condo hotel?

1)Best swimming beach in Maui is right across the road. It's smart to swim at a beach with a lifeguard, and the ones at Kamaole II work hard to make sure beachgoers are safe and informed.

2)Not one but two pools. This means that if the beach is too windy or one of the pools is having its water changed, there is another option. The pools are kind of small, but this seems to make guests friendly to one another, which I enjoy.

3)Beautiful landscaping. It's just so pleasant to walk around the property.

4)Nice staff. Have a special need or special request? I have had these, and the staff were always polite, friendly and accommodating to the extent possible.

5)Condo setup. I have stayed in several different buildings and looked into others during open houses, and have definite preferences and observations to share...

Building G is considered very desirable, but some units on the south side get very hot because they get sunshine all day, and I find the carpeting in the halls somewhat depressing looking.

Building H I think has all one-bedrooms with 1 kitchen and 2 bathrooms but teeny tiny lanais.

Buildings P and Q - Lots of nice units in these buildings. If you want a quiet evening, make sure you're not overlooking the pool.

Building T has no elevator.

Building A, B and F: Watch out for the second floor units in these buildings as there are WAY too many stairs to go up and down, particularly with groceries, suitcases or a stroller.

The first-floor units in building F are my favorites as their lanais are shady all day, they don't have that many stairs (just two, if I'm not mistaken) and they have a yard with a private BBQ grill.

I was surprised to find out that the main office will lend you tennis rackets and balls to use on their tennis court.

If you are into interior design, you'll want to request a renovated unit, but to be honest, I do not understand why you should care about having granite countertops, flat screen TVs, stainless steel appliances and tiled floors in Maui. If you spend a lot of time indoors you are missing the whole point of the place! The Maui Banyan has the location, facilities and setup for you and your family to enjoy the beach and traveling around the island to the fullest.

Save your money for great restaurants, luaus and boat trips, and stay at the affordable, comfy Maui Banyan like we do, year after year.

Room Tip: Avoid upper floor of buildings F, A and B as there are too many stairs.
7 Thank Mattie H
Aloha and thank you for sharing about your stay at the Aston Maui Banyan Resort.

You have provided many details about our buildings and locations and we are sure that our future guests' will appreciate the detail.

Please, to our future travelers feel free to ask any questions before your arrival and we will do our best to help you reserve the unit that best suits your needs.

The beach is calling everyone and we look forward to your visit.

Mahalo and Aloha from the staff and management of the Aston Maui Banyan Resort
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Tired is the word of the day. Tired because that perfectly describes the state of the room provided- nice perhaps when it was furnished in the 1980's. The fridge, when opened, lurched forward, and we had to be cautious when using it that it didn't tilt too far forward. Bugs abound, chipped tiles, leftover waffle bits left from previous tenants, stained tub, stained carpet, one broken air conditioner, non-functioning toaster, the list goes on. We were accepting of the fact we had gotten a good deal, and so did not have high expectations, but it definitely missed the mark on many fronts.

Tired also because we were awakened by an intruder in the middle of the night. Not your normal intruder. A guest that was given our room key and unbeknownst to her, she entered our room, thinking it was hers and began yelling at us for being in her room. No management was on site to help in this volatile situation. That was NOT a great way to relax or to feel safe and secure travelling alone with children.

Tired also because 2 nights later the fire alarm went off at 1 am, and did not stop until 3 am. We gathered in the parking lot, to find out security staff were unable to reset the alarm. Again, not a lot of rest or feeling of security here.

Would I return? Even if we given the suite that appears in the professional photo shoot? We didn't expect much booking with a tour company, and did not get much. That is the lesson.

I would normally let it go with a c'est la vie attitude, but I think that in order for people to get an accurate idea of the actual picture of your stay, these comments needs to be heard, as hotel staff brushed off these concerns without batting an eye. I am sure the response will be a nice aloha message saying this is a one of a kind experience, but I would caution prospective clients to reconsider this as an appropriate accommodation option.

3 Thank k k
astonmauibanyangm, Manager at Aston at the Maui Banyan, responded to this review, April 8, 2012
Aloha and Thank you for sharing about your experience at the Aston Maui Banyan Resort. Guest Satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate the opportunity to investigate and respond.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have had during your stay. Your experience is extremely far from the norm and we regret that you were uncomfortable and we did not meet your expectations.

Please know that we do not take your concerns lightly. We are sharing them with our staff for any necessary corrective action however we do need more information to fully investigate what did occur. Please contact us directly at res.mba@astonhotels.com with the details of your name, room number and dates of stay so that we may accurately research all of our records.

Our goal is to make things right with you and we will do what is necessary to regain your trust and provide you with a fair compensation for your inconvenience.

To our future travelers, guest satisfaction is not a joke to us! We take every comment and concern seriously and in good faith will do our best to meet the needs of our guests. We do regret that a less than desirable experience occurred for this guest and we do apologize and will investigate it fully so that it does not repeat itself.

We are available to answer your questions and concerns and to personally follow up with your reservation and requests. As noted above, our goal is to make things right and that remains true for past guests, current guests and future guests.

Mahalo for giving us an opportunity to serve you and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

The Staff and Management of the Aston Maui Banyan Resort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Maui Coast Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#13 of 32 in Lahaina
Aston Mahana at Kaanapali

Been to Aston at the Maui Banyan? Share your experiences!