“Perfectly acceptable if ...”
Review of Lihi Kai Cottages

Lihi Kai Cottages
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kihei
Lihi Kai Cottages
Ranked #44 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
San Jose, California
“Perfectly acceptable if ...”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My 18-yr old daughter and I stayed in unit #5 for four nights in mid-August, 2013. We paid $79.95US per night. The unit has a separate but doorless bedroom with a comfortable bed, which at age 65 I need, and a flimsy pull-out couch bed more acceptable for young, supple spines like hers. I asked her how she slept, and she had no complaints. The unit is indeed tired. It's in need of paint, there are nail holes in the walls, rust marks in the sinks, shower (especially the soap dish), and other signs of neglect. But, for the price, it is unreasonable to complain too much.
The unit has one small air conditioner, but aided by an overhead fan (there is also a floor fan which we didn't use), it was acceptably cool in the mornings and evenings when we were in. We could hear no traffic noise. The location is excellent. It's in walking distance of restaurants, just a short drive from Foodland grocery store (everybody gets the lower club price – everybody – just tell the cashier you want to be a member; there's no charge for membership), across the street from a small beach, and just a five minute walk to Kamaole Beach, maybe the best in South Maui.
As to the managers, I'm sorry the Canadian reviewer had such a bad experience because Patrick and Mrs (I didn't get her name) were polite and professional to us. After agreeing to rent us a remodeled unit several weeks in advance, and accepting one night's rent as deposit, Patrick emailed me five days before we were to arrive that – oops – he was overbooked and would we agree to stay in (tired old) #5. I emailed my displeasure firmly but in a civil way. He responded that, yes he had messed up and offered us a full refund of the deposit. That seemed to say he is a reasonable guy, so we stayed at Lihi Kai even though I found other nearby accommodations between those two emails.
So it's not the lap of luxury, but if you're going to Maui to enjoy the beaches, the waterfalls on the road to Hana, the views from atop Mt. Haleakala, the street life in Lahaina, and all the rest this wonderful island has to offer (and not stay indoors all day), then for the price, you almost surely can't do much better than Lihi Kai Cottages.
PS: If you engage Mrs in conversation, be prepared for a long one. Be prepared to walk backwards to your unit as she talks. And talks, and ...

Room Tip: Units 1, 2, 3 and 6 are the remodeled, and presumably nicer ones. I marked "poor" for the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Fred A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed July 2, 2013

clean, spacious, beautiful scenery, enjoyed my stay, on top of all that I got an excellent rate!! I just read the other reviews and I was shocked - no problems during my stay. I guess beauty and all other things are in the eye of the beholder.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This place would be good especially because of location, but the management team, husband and wife, will defeat all your holiday ideas! Want peace and quiet? Not going to happen here! Foul mouthed wife and husband who will give you a warning for doing dishes early! Wow! This place will blow you away with stupidity! Unfortunately, there is still blood on the furniture from previous tenants in the unit we stayed in, and be happy that you have an oven that works! Husband and wife constantly fight with each other, did I mention that this team fights with everyone? Do not ever mention anything personal to them either, wife will blab it to everyone in the complex! Thank God there is only 8 units in this complex. They have no life, so everyone else's becomes theirs!
STAY AWAY! By the way, the owners Leis Co. (a big company in Maui) do not care enough to answer back e-mails as well! If you stay here even once, you will not be coming back, ever! Whatever the price, it isn't worth it!

Room Tip: Your Greatest Tip is to Never Stay Here!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nicole2222
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We booked a "cottage" (they aren't cottages) only a few weeks before our arrival in high high season February, and were delighted to find a decent looking place next to the beach and reasonably priced. We are still happy we stayed there but there were a few flaws. We were in #8, the only non-ground floor unit and it has a lovely view of the beach across the road. It's probably also the noisiest unit unit in terms of street noise from busy South Kihei Road. Luckily, since the bedroom is on the road side, it isn't busy at night.
The unit itself is fine - not luxurious but spacious and comfortable. There is cable TV and we had good internet - both from Lihi Kai, and from the surprising number of unsecured signals in the neighbourhood. There is no pool or any of the usual resort amenities, but since it's across the street from the beach, this wasn't a big drawback for us. For me, the biggest flaw was one half of the couple who manage the complex. At first we thought "the non-better half" was friendly and helpful, but quickly we tired of her foul mouth, negativity and complaining. #8 turns out to have one more advantage over the other units though; its driveway is away from the complex courtyard, so we were able to come and go without having to have contact with her!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Morris867
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2012

For the price, this is likley best value in Kehei on the beach if you get a renovated room. Location is great being directly across from Cove beach, only a block to Kamaole II (Chalire Young) and a block in the other direction to where you take the learn to surf lessons.

The renovations are well done: huge rooms, full kitchens and good bathrooms. We had a patio with lounge chairs and a table and chair set to enjoy the beach view. There are BBQ's you can bring to the rooms which we didn't do as it seemed a bit of an effort. The rooms were very clean and the renovations well done, although I'd say they cheaped out somewhat on the quality of the beds which may deter us from staying there again if it's a couple years before we go back. Just to be clear, the bed was fine when we were there but it was a low quality mattress which isn't going to last long. They may have plans to replace the beds frequently to address this.

We were in room 2 which probably has the most road noise, so I'd try to get another unit next time

The manager, Patrick was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a renovated room. Room 2 was renovated, but as it's the closest to the street...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amy S
Sandy, Utah
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We had some concern about booking this due to the lack of reviews, but went for it anyway due to the outstanding price. It is located next to Cove park, and easy walking distance to what became our favorite beach on Maui (Kamaole 1). While it's next to a road, we never noticed any noise problems. There is pretty decent snorkeling in the area between Cove Park and Kamaole 1.

Since their website doesn't do a very good job of showing which rooms are good and bad, I asked to check them all out so I could post the info here for future travelers. Here's the scoop on the rooms...

Rooms 1, 2, and 3 - We could only view one of these rooms but I understand them to all be more or less identical. They're simply decorated (mainly white walls with some decor) but are recently renovated, and feel clean, nice, and new, though quite simple. Well worth the cost, they seemed nicer than most of the other older condos in Kihei that cost twice as much and aren't as close to the beach.

Rooms 4 and 5 have not been renovated and feel pretty run down. We saw #4, but I understand #5 is the same. If you really like the price and don't mind being in an old room you might be ok with this. They were clean and didn't feel icky, but they did feel old (reminded me of my grandparents house built in the 1950s).

Room 6 is where we stayed and is a nice room. It has been renovated, and is the most decorated of the rooms. Celing and walls have the wood texture covering that you often see in Hawaii. It's laid out nicely and feels clean and comfortable.

Rooms 7 and 8 have also not been renovated but don't feel quite as run down as 4 and 5. They are also bigger, and 8 being on the second floor, above 7, has the best views of the ocean of any of the units. These two units are the closest to the road, and could potentially have noise problems, but there didn't seem to be a lot of traffic at bedtime. If you're hyper sensitive to noise though you should be aware. I would recommend these units given their price.

Room Tip: In order of preference I'd pick 1, 2, 3, or 6, then 8, then 7, then 4 or 5 (see review for more...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank zracoon
Whistler, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Lihi Kai is clean, located close to cove park and within walking distance to South Kihei beaches. It's a very central location for amenities and all the action and excitement of Kihei.

It was too loud for our liking, there was a party every night at cove park (only until 8 or 9pm though) and our cottage neighbors kept us up drinking and hanging out on their lanai 4 out of the 7 nights we stayed here, sometimes until 3 am. The property managers had assured us that it was quiet after 10pm and that there is no smoking allowed in front of the cottages but these rules were not enforced at all.

Some units seemed to have a bit more privacy than others but ours wasn't very private unless all windows were closed and all blinds were drawn. Our cottage had no phone, very unreliable wi fi and no beach towels supplied so bring your own.

Overall we found it disappointing for the price.
If you are looking for a central location, close to beaches, clean unit and want to party on maui then I would recommend Lihi Kai to you. Otherwise, stay someplace else.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple