“Wonderful but a bit silent”
Review of Kealia Resort

Kealia Resort
Ranked #42 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Wonderful but a bit silent”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We were traveling two families together and had a great time there but it's not ideal for smaller kids. For grown ups who seek a silent place to enjoy the paradise of Maui it's perfect.
Beautiful beach with sea turtles you often during a run in the morning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Silda93

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed at the Kealia Resort in unit #201 for 11 days in September. I read through the many reviews of the location before booking. I spent literally months researching the areas I wanted to see. I had a very good reference book, Maui Revealed, which is written by two individuals who spent two years on the island checking everything they could in detail and doing it anonymously without pay or perks to give a very objective view. I highly recommend it.

Yes, the building is older, yes the elevator is slow, yes the pool is smaller than other locations but the location is perfect. Kealia Resort is as central coast as you can get. It’s convenient for the airport, the Hana Road trip, to Paia, to Haleakale, to the Up Country, to South or West beaches and sights. These are all plus items. Did you come to Maui to spend most of your daytime hours in the condo anyhow?

The keyless entry feature is a plus by not having to have extra keys with you to open the door. Enter the code and open the handle; couldn’t be any easier if you tried. The units at Kealia Resort have private parking places which is a nice feature.

We drove over 800 miles and saw as much of Maui as we physically could. In all probability this will be our last Maui trip because we’re 81 and 79 now. The stamina is declining but not the interest.

We booked in January for this trip. I had an issue with American Airlines and their non-friendly scheduling at the last minute but Larry worked with us in total and it all worked out fine. A very nice gift basket with many goodies was there on our arrival. A nice welcoming touch that we appreciated. Larry takes care of the unit, not a management team that may or may not be available when needed. We had a problem with a locked TV remote; it was taken care of as soon as it could be done.

Unit #201 is very well updated. The kitchen has all the appliances you could want, a well stocked cabinet of usual kitchen items, and there were many usable items in the fridge. The AC unit was very efficient. The bed is very comfortable. The large bedroom closet has plenty of hangers for all your needs. We traveled light because we knew there was a stackable washer dryer unit in the kitchen. How convenient! At the airport we saw many couples bringing four huge fully expandable suitcases with them. We were wondering if they came for a six month visit or just changed three times a day to use everything they brought. There are many useful items in the closet to make your stay more like being at home.

The bathroom is also recently updated. Nice tiled shower, good lighting and a large vanity. There is a nearby linen closet that is fully stocked.

The view from the Lanai view was great. A nice spot to listen to the constant waves, people watch walking the beach, view the sunsets over the west point of Maui and view the pool which really didn’t get a lot of use in the time we were in the condo. We used it almost daily. The pool is unusual in that the bottom is not squared off with the sides. It has a rounded feature that takes getting used to if you’re just walking for exercise.

There is a very nice BBQ area on the lawn behind the pool. We ate in two evenings that we had long days knowing in advance we’d be tired from the day’s activity.

If you’re planning a Maui trip consider the Kealia Resort. There are many plus features that will make your trip both enjoyable and memorable.

Mahalo,
Jim and Liz from St. Louis

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank spdsk8er
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We loved staying at Kealia Resort, Unit 602. The view was fantastic from the balcony. The unit was impeccably clean, well maintained and stocked with everything we could possibly need. Kihei is central on the island of Maui, The beach is great for long walks. The condo also has a nice pool area. Kihei has a lot of strip malls so does not have the feel that we would have preferred, but once you are in the condo your view is of the ocean.

We really enjoyed our visit here on Maui!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I was staying at the Kealia Resort thinking that this was a hotel, but it was also a condo facility. The room was beyond my expectation and comes with a ocean front view that you can see the pool side and the beautiful ocean blue water. The bedroom was very satisfactory and comes with a fully basic kitchen area (dishes, cooking utensil, dish washer, etc). I arrive the resort on a Sunday evening (April 28) and while the front office was closed, I was to go to see Roger for after hours/weekend check-in. He was very polite and gave some information of the local area (where to go for grocery, where to eat at some of the local establishment, etc).

My week long vacation of the Kealia Resort was an awesome and memorable experience. I would like to return to this area again.

Mahalo!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank nbkg564
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My first impression upon walking through the door was not good at all. It is a very out dated and old room and when we walked onto the lanai (we could see the ocean which was great) the noise from the highway was very loud. We had to keep the windows closed at night and run the air conditioner that worked marginally to drone out some of the highway noise. The carpet in the master bedroom was grose and very dirty - I wouldn't let my kids sit on it to get dressed in the morning. The bedspread on the master bed was even dirty around the edges from dragging on the floor. I expressed my concerns to Sherry and she was sympathetic and then later that day I got a call from the owner. I felt like I was being put in the middle of a he said she said battle between him and Sherry in the front office about cleaning fees. Really, I don't care about that, just clean and fix up your rental suite that you are renting out to people for money. I did see some cleaners relaxing on the couch of a suite as I walked down the hall one day so not sure how much they were actually cleaning, but that is up to management to police. My mom stayed in 601 which was much nicer and definitely cleaner than 606, but there was still highway noise. If I were to recommend this place or go back, I would only stay in one of the middle suites facing the ocean to help eliminate some highway noise and apparently rooms 606 and 601 are the two units that have not been updated lately (601 is WAY better than 606). My kids loved the pool and never had any issues with people telling us to be quiet so we did feel welcome, just not enjoyed our room at all.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Relax154913
kealiaresort, Manager at Kealia Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Aloha,

Units at the Kealia resort are routinely cleaned prior to the arrival of every new guest. If there is an issue with the condition of our unit, the resort manager will be happy to address the concern. The following major updates have been made to the unit: living room furniture replaced; new plasma TV, microwave oven and Stereo; new drapes and bedding ; the carpet in the bedroom, both air conditioners and the window in the bedroom have been replaced.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I wouldn't stay there again--too expensive for the low-grade experience, misleading location, lack of swimmable pool or ocean, no hot tub, and highway noise. I wish I'd listened to the other reviewers about this stuff.

Location: The condo is at the very top of Kihei, and the writeup makes it sound like Kihei is still accessible and the ocean is nice, but you actually have to get back on a highway and drive to get to Kihei and swimmable/calm beaches. The condo building is right off the highway, and you can hear the traffic all the time. This definitely makes sitting out on the much-advertised lanai quite unpleasant and you can't have the windows open and still hear each other or sleep.

Ocean/Beach: The ocean, which is supposed to be calm and nice to swim in there in South Maui, was actually very rough, cold, and there were rocks that cut your feet. Down in actual Kihei the ocean is as-advertised and quite nice, but at the location of the condo itself it's not at all--no one was swimming, just walking on the beach.

Pool: The pool was small and very cold--we couldn't swim in it, even though at our prior rental we'd been swimming every day. There is no hot tub. The condo next store has a lovely pool and large hot tub but you'd have to sneak in/could get asked to leave.

Space: The unit was clean and everything worked. The owners tried hard to make the space "beachy" and provide clean, useful items. However, the building was low quality and the overall experience wasn't at all worth the cost. The elevator is slow/old/gross and felt like it was going to fail. We took the stairs almost every time, even to the sixth floor. We were in 601, a corner unit, and the wind was absurd--we had to keep the doors and windows closed in order to hear each other.

Hospitality: The woman who checked us in was not particularly welcoming, but she was efficient and did give us an extra two hours for a late checkout, which was nice, but in the process she hung up the phone on us :/

Room Tip: We had a top floor corner unit and it was loud--both from highway noise and windy.