Kamaole Sands
$159
$129
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewscastle resortsacross the streetstayed in buildingbuilding roompool areabeach chairsmai tai partythrough vrboboogie boardskam iii beachpartial ocean viewgarden viewgrounds are lovelyair conditioningspecific unitbeautiful propertywasher and dryer
Issaquah, WA
Reviewed October 30, 2005

The location of Kamaole Sands could not be better. Across the street from an excellent beach for swimming and snorkeling. The photos of the grounds don't do them justice. The swimming pool and spas were very clean. The condo was a spacious 1 bedroom, with a washer and dryer. We had a superior Garden view, worth the extra few dollars. The staff were all very friendly, but not efficient. "Daily housekeeping service" was an overstatement. Sometimes we got a full set of towels, sometimes we just got a bath towel. Our condo was just cleaned twice during an 11 day stay. However, this was the only cloud during our wonderful vacation.

• Stayed: October 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 21, 2005

Before I arrived at Maui. I was worried while I read some of bad reviews about Castle Kamaole Sands. But I decided to follow suggestions from those good reviews I read. While I arrived at the resort. I told them about the good review. The resort staff updated our room to two bed rooms(I think Septemberis somehting to do with it). I have two teenagers.

The room 4-405, is very spacious. some ocean view, fully equipped kitchen, nice and clean. There are TV, DVD play, CD play in the comfortable living room. If there is another window air conditioner in the 2nd bedroom, then it will be perfect. But the temparture at night is pleasant. So it is bearable.

Swimming pool is okay size. garden is nice. Building 4 locates behind the garden. If you want garden view& ocean view , you should ask while you check in. I found the staff is helpful. House keeping is very nice as well.

Location is convience. right across street is the beach; walking distance to small shopping places. 5-10 minutes driving to FoodLand and Safeway. I found safeway is a little cheaper than FoodLand. We all like the Queen K..... Mall near the airport, there are local people selling home-made products and there is a food court which have Japanese, Haiwaiian, Chinese, Mexican food. Price is reasonable comparing other places in Maui.

• Stayed: September 2005
27  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 19, 2005

We stayed at Building 6-108 (1 bedroom) where the lanai was just right across the entrance of the pool. The unit looks like it has been newly renovated, very clean and quite. All the amenities of home was just right in our fingertips, from pots and pans to laundry detergents. We really had a great time here and never had a problem from the time we arrived. The staff were very friendly, hospitable and always willing to help. Even though the A/C was located in the living room, it was still comfortable in the bedroom by just leaving the door open and the bedroom ceiling fan on. My kids really had some fun time by just hanging around the unit watching TV on the Plasma LCD TV in the bedroom, swimming, and by just crossing the street to Kamaole III beach to boogey and skim boarding. For sure our third time in Maui will be at Kamaole Sands... Mahalo...

• Stayed: August 2005
16  Thank PacIslander
Reviewed August 29, 2005

We just returned from vacationing in Maui (Kihei). A total of 17 of us stayed @ the Kamaole Sands the week of August 20th thru the 27th. We were each assigned a condo in building #6. My wife and 2 kids ages 13 and 7 stayed in unit 305. We were lucky enough to have been given a refurbished unit. It was nicely decorated. One bedroom, 2 baths, washer and dryer, all the amenities that made us feel like home. The only downside was that the A/C is a wall unit located in the living room. Therefore, the kids were comfy while sleeping in the sofa bed. The bedroom however was a little warm. Fortunately, our bedroom had a small water cooler and fan which ran the whole time we were there. We had a garden view which faced the swimming pool and a partial view of the ocean. The patio was spacious and cozy. We took advantage of the kitchen along with the amenities such as the coffee maker, toaster, plates, cups, forks etc. Our second day there, we drove to Food Land and Costco to shop for a weeks worth of groceries. There were also several amenities for the kids to use, boogie boards, beach chairs, snorkeling gear etc. “Thanks” Jeff and Tracey for making us feel at home “Mahalo” you both did a wonderful job with the place.

The Kamaole grounds are lush with greenery and wild birds. It’s well maintained. We felt safe the whole time we were there. The only negative point is that some areas in the unit needed more lighting. The weather could not have been more perfect. The location was close to everything, shopping, restaurants, and beach. Almost every morning, we walked across the street to swim on the beach @ 6 am. The water was calm and warm. We ate @ Da Kitchen, Pupu Lounge, Sansei Sushi and had shaved ice (yum yum). All these eateries were either within walking distance or less than a mile from the condo. We also did several excursions such as the Old Lahaina Luau, Snorkeled @ Molikino and Parasailed. We skipped the road to Hana only because I heard and read about dreaded drive to and from. Although, next time we plan on taking the drive.

What can I say about Maui, it was our first time visiting Hawaii and it will not be the last. The locals are very warm and friendly. Everyone seems to take there time without any rush what so ever. Mahalo Maui and We will see you again soon...Aloha and Mahalo !!!

Feel free to email w/ any questions...

• Stayed: August 2005
34  Thank Dnavarro
BC
Reviewed August 25, 2005

We stayed in the Sands in mid Aug this year (2005). My family stayed in Building 4 – 203. My friends originally booked into 208. They did not like it (me neither) because it’s right next to the elevator. Besides the noise, you cannot open your bedroom window because people walk by can put their hands inside (I am not kidding). 208 is a bit out of shape (but not too bad). Our friends then moved to Building 9. I don’t think the room is any better but at least their room is a little bit more secure and has a few board games.

In our 203, we had a fairly new (much better than my own ones at home) fridge, flat-top self-clean oven/stove, and dish washer (all full-size). The fridge had a very handy automatic ice maker. The cloth washer and dryer worked really well. We were provided with plenty of laundry and dish washer detergent. If you need anything, just ask the front desk.

The kitchen has all the utensils that you can imagine. It even has two coffee makers. Lots of dishes, knives, cups, etc. All you need to do is just to shop at Foodland to fill the fridge.

The entire unit has tiled floor except the bedroom which is carpeted. Both washrooms are very clean. One side of the wall in the living room has mirror from ceiling to the floor which makes the room look much bigger (like those in a cruise ship cabin). One TV in the living room and another one in the bed room. Our balcony had a limited view of the ocean. Even though it faced the highway, we were never bothered with the noise at all. I understand that some units do not have A/C in their bedroom but we had one! We never needed to turn on the A/C in the bedroom, not even the fan because it was cool enough at night when we left the window open. The kids slept in the living room (sofa bed) and they did not turn on the A/C or fan either.

We used the A/C in the living room only when we went back to the hotel to have dinner. The hotel location is ideal as it is right next to Wailea (the most expensive place in Maui), if you can afford to shop at the Shops in Wailea. Otherwise, you can always drive for 5 minutes to the strip mall and buy your grocery at the Foodland. If you buy your grocery at the Foodland, remember to get a FREE membership card to get discount. We saved $20 (out of $75) on our first day alone.

The Kam III beach is a good place to watch sunset. It is right in front of the hotel. The hotel also has a car wash area (you may have to pay extra if your rental vehicle is dirty when you return it to the rental company). The garden in the hotel is ok but I would not pay extra $20 a week for those units that have the garden view. The water in the pool is very warm, even at night.

If I go to Maui again, I definitely will go back to 203 in Building 4.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business