“Info about Kamaole Sands”
Review of Kamaole Sands

Kamaole Sands
Ranked #16 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
Anchorage, Alaska
“Info about Kamaole Sands”
Reviewed January 14, 2005

We stayed the month of December '04 at K-Sands. Enjoyed the location, the grounds, the tennis courts and pool. (Altho you could hardly get a chair in the pool area during the 2 weeks surrounding Christmas). It was great to be across the street from the beach. I would recommend buildings 2, 3 or 5...just based on location. We were in 6 - on the south side, so our lanai never got breeze or sun. I think the further away from the street, the quieter it will be. Now about the condo itself...I have read alot of concern about the A/C. We were in a one bedroom unit. There is just one A/C - in the living room. That means the bedroom doesn't get much cooling but there was a ceiling fan that kept it pretty comfortable, as long as the bedroom door was open and the A/C on in the living room. Remember - this was December, so I would be concerned about the warmer months. Some people have written reviews complaining about the housekeeping. We did not pay extra for housekeeping so we cleaned up after ourselves, washed our own sheets and towels and the only complaint I have is that my husband didn't fold the towels the way I like. But he doesn't do that at home either!! I have also read about concerns with bugs in the units. Believe me, this concerned me too. And my worst nightmare came true when we discovered the kitchen pretty much infested with cockroaches. However, we called the company we booked thru (Ali'i Resorts), right away and they came and sprayed and put out bait traps and that pretty much took care of them. K-Sands has a nice magnetic card security system and security personnel are present on the grounds so it feels quite safe. Would we stay at Kamaoloe Sands again? Yes. I guess my advice would be - research everything you can about your particular condo before committing to it - there seems to be a wide variety of cleanliness/updatedness/buginess.

• Stayed December 2004
17 Thank lovemaui

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
pittsburgh
Reviewed January 11, 2005

We have stayed at Kamaole Sands 2 times and enjoyed ourselves both times. The condos were very clean and comfortable. In fact, the second time we were going we asked for the same unit on the first floor and got it. We always travel with cousins and they stayed upstairs in a 2 BR condo. We had a 1 BR. Everything we needed was there. They do need to put an iron and ironing board in each condo and we suggested it to them. The washer and dryer are very convenient since the beach is just across the street. The pool is small but kept very clean. The only bug we saw in the condo was brought in by us in a grocery bag from the store and maintenence came right up with spray and got it. Would we stay at Kamaole Sands again? In a heartbeat!!! Our next trip to Maui next year will find us there. Just wanted to add that our lanai faced a papaya tree and a banana tree. Groundskeeper let me have the papayas that were ripe. Delicious. and the same maid was there both times. Very friendly.

• Stayed November 2001
5 Thank mahogony
Reviewed January 9, 2005

We started to stay at Kamaole Sands in 1992. It was an Aston chain at the time; then it was taken over by Castle (and I think a Japanese consortium) who did not update the rooms from 1994 to 2002. I don't know who owns the land now, but the rooms really need an update. We have been so disappointed with some of the rooms, and have had some horrible experiences-shower doors smashing, stove elements so crooked that pots don't stand, carpets that are so stained you're not sure what you're stepping into). It's not like we are the family to cause any of this either. We buy extra supplies to leave behind for the owner/the next patron; we keep the place clean while we stay there. We've always enjoyed the cleaning staff. Towels are like gold; getting them to return clean towels - you need to tip quite well to get the service, and we are willing to do this.

The beach Kam III is still the best, and the boogie boarding is second to none. The grounds are immaculate. The pool needs a bit of an upgrade, but still lovely.

If they could just update the rooms, this would be the best condo in Kihei, and we'd return to staying at this place, again. The dangers of staying in some of the rooms if you are not familiar with the grounds far outweigh the benefits.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 3, 2005

The advert on the web makes this place sound great. Indeed, the reviews are equally impressive. Unfortunately, reality is something completely different. We were there for Christmas 04. Housekeeping, when it arrived, was pitiful. They took the towels, but didn't replace them. Calling them did not mean getting towels right away either. One member of our party had to call four times and then could only reach the answering machine. Cleaning was haphazard, pending on how they felt. There was no iron or board; you have to order it and you can have it for only two hours. Of course, when you want it, so does everyone else. There is no waiting list. Housekeeping just expects you to keep calling them. Right, this is my vacation, I shouldn't be calling to get an iron, I should be on the beach.
The room was dumpy and the carpet a mess (very stained). While there is a sign at the door to take off your shoes, you are afraid to because of the filthy carpet. The kitchen and bathroom reminded us of the 1970s. Unfortunately, the decor, while tacky, was also very worn and dirty. The only upsides were: the washer/dryer (new) and the fact that condos are across from the beach. The pool is small and not very inviting. Overall, we were very disappointed!!!! Other members of our parties, in other rooms, had similar problems with housekeeping, so it wasn't just us. Moreover, one party had bugs coming into their condo through the kitchen sink. The location is good, but the place is a real dump. Spend some money and time to get it fixed up, it could be really nice. We don't plan on ever coming back. Instead, the other resorts in Wailea are far too appealing, and the extra cost is well worth the peace of mind.

• Stayed December 2004
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 30, 2004

We booked 18 days in this unit over Christmas and New Years. We have stayed at Kamaole Sands several times before and each one was great. This time we ended up with a low quality unit with one knife, no broom, I could go on, but basically just not well equipped. Had to go buy what we needed.

Normal KamSand weak AC, but normally not needed. Units in building 8 and 9 are back on a busy side street with VERY limited ocean view and no breeze.

Luckily the water heater went out and after three days of no hot water we got to move to buliding 7. This one had a great breeze and felt good. Was well equipped. An actual AC that was new and worked, even though we did nolt need it. Odd the units that get the good breeze have the good AC.

The only thing I can figure out is the good units are owned and stayed in often by individuals no on island. Unit 9-308 is owned by a Maui resident and they never stayed in it. They just want to go to the minimum expense to keep the profits up.

Next time we stay at KamSand, I will verify the owner actually stays in the unit before confirming. Another thing to ask about is size of the lanai. Some have very small ones, while others are large. Small ones only allow two chairs and one table. The larger ones allow four chairs, table and even a chaise lounge.

Other than the poor unit, KamSand is a great place for families. Near a top rated beach, good pool, and near Kehei activities. They now offer high speed internet access through the cable. Added my own wireless and it was great sitting out on the lanai(after the move) with my computer.

• Stayed January 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed December 12, 2004

I loved Kamole Sands! We stayed in a two bedroom two bath unit for more than two weeks. What I liked so much about it was that the beach across the street was beautiful, perfect for snorkeling, the pool was kept clean and tidy and was relaxing as well. I also loved the room! It was clean, spacious and exceeded my expectations! As a college student, I made very good use of the internet. The hotel is within walking distance to many good shops and restaraunts as well!

6 Thank Alaskamomof3
Reviewed December 4, 2004

My wife and I discovered KamSands in 1985 and go back every year. Some hints; always ask for buildings 2 or 3 as they stay cooler. We try to get building 2, 3rd or 4th floor. If you don't like your unit, ask to be moved immediately! Kehei is hot no matter where you go, but is my favorite part of the island.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Maui Coast Hotel
Aston Kaanapali Shores
#15 of 32 in Lahaina
Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas
Aston at the Maui Banyan

Been to Kamaole Sands? Share your experiences!