“Impressive dive operation”

Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures has been a leader in the Maui dive community for over three decades. Our dive charters cater to certified divers and we offer the best Maui dive site experience through personalized eco-friendly tours. We have select boat tours for both divers that need some supervision and for experienced divers that are looking for more flexibility to match their advanced diving skills. Our store also offers scuba instruction, refresher dives and introductory discover scuba tours. In addition, our sister company Maui Snorkel Tours offers shoreline eco-snorkel tours for the whole family.
London, United Kingdom
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“Impressive dive operation”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I had dived with another company, but since they weren't going out the day I wanted, I was recommended to Ed Robinson's. In comparison with the other, larger operation, I found their operation perfect for me as it caters for smaller groups, and screens the divers for specific dives. Since I am an experienced diver I appreciated diving with better divers. I did 7 dives with them, the first with Ed Robinson on board. He is an interesting man, who runs a tight ship and efficient organisation. I have no complaints and would dive with them again. I am not going to comment on what we saw or didn't see on the dives, as that is always the luck of the draw. The divemaster did point out some interesting things I would have missed. I have only just seen some of the poor reviews on this site, and I am amazed as it doesn't seem like the same company. But I do think that this is not the dive operation for you if you are a beginner, or inexperienced, unless the dive is specifically geared towards this level.

1 Thank Josi S

Seattle
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“The usual Awesome Dives in Maui”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I have been diving for over 40 years and was in the business when I put myself through College. My entire family are certified divers. This was the 6th time we have dove with Ed Robinsons group and we have always made our reservations with him because of the variety of dives they offer. This has been over a 20 year period. When divers dive in Maui they should be comfortable in the water because you will be generally diving "live" off their boat especially when diving the crater. For me the outside is the best because of the large marine life you will see, especially with this company. On our first dive we saw 12 large gray reef sharks, a bunch of white tip sharks, several eagle rays over the open water and a couple of large Manta Rays.

The second dive was on a small pinnacle and we saw a large White Tip (7ft+) and several small Whitetips nestled in the coral, many moray eels and yes lots small stuff too. But I like the pelagic if you couldn't tell. The third dive we viewed the tank and transport wreck. Here between the two wrecks we viewed a large octopus outside of its cave and several species of Moray eels. Pretty cool.

The divemasters are experienced and friendly. The boat captain has been there forever and it is expected on the 3 tank diving adventure that the divers be open water certified. And for a bonus you get Ed for a divemaster the trip once a week. One thing I have learned in this sport is don't exaggerate your level of experience.

I would highly recommend this group if you are comfortable in the water and had a few dives under your belt. Otherwise I would recommend you dive from shore with the other dive shops.

2 Thank Reefcat
Chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Terrible. Stay away.”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Awful dive planning. Unprofessional divemasters. They even encouraged grabbing and holding onto the coral, which is illegal. We didn't want to dive with them again and they refused to refund our money. Ed was uninterested in talking with us about it at all, after several attempts to contact him. Stay away from this dive shop at all costs!

3 Thank mcascone
Chicago, Illinois
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Terrible dive plan and horrible customer service!!!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Mu husnad and I are PADI Open Water and Advanced Open Water certified divers. We dove with Ed Robinson Diving Adventures in Maui and had several issues with their dive plan, overall professionalism, and service:

1. We dove at Molokini Crater, which has a significant current that whips around the end of the crater. We dove with the current to start, and there is a corner at which the divemaster wanted us to stop and wait for sharks. Their suggestion was, if there was a rock, grab that, but if not they suggested to grab onto the coral to stay in place. In fact, they suggested that they usually hold onto the coral since there aren't many rocks there. We felt this was very strange that PADI certified divemasters would be condoning, even supporting the idea of intentionally grabbing onto coral reefs just to stay in one place. Isn't that illegal? We signed a waiver stating we would never touch the coral, why are the divemasters encouraging us to grab and hold onto it? We were able to dig our fingers into the sand to try to stay in place, but the others in the group were on the coral.
2. After this corner section of the dive, their plan required us to swim into the current, which was very strong. This was planned for approximately half the dive and it was how we had to get to our ascent + pickup area. This struck us as a very poor plan - who purposely structures a dive plan into currents, especially at the end of a dive?
3. We also noticed that on several occasions, the divemasters got out of the water before all of the customers were out - very unprofessional behavior!!! We have never dived anywhere where the divemaster is not the last person out of the water - that's just right way to do it.
4. Partly due to the poor dive plan I talked about above, and partly due to rough weather at the surface, we ended up ascending much too quickly from approximately 40 feet. The surf actually popped us right past our safety stop. We had been at 100+ feet on this dive, and we both got pretty bad headaches and I began vomiting as well. Even though we didn't feel great about it, we decided to continue, and did two more dives with the company that day.

Due to the issues listed above and our concern about possible lingering effects of our uncontrolled ascent, we decided to not dive with them the next day. However, this dive shop has a 48 hour cancellation policy and they refused to refund our money for the second day. This was $375USD for services that we did not use, and we feel cheated by them.

We have made no less than five attempts to contact the dive shop to try to resolve this amicably with them. We were told every time that Ed, the owner, would call to talk about it. Even if he wouldn't ultimately refund our money, it would have been the professional thing to do to return our calls, and I would have appreciated the courtesy. However, Ed never called us, even after repeated messages and notes from the people in his office that I was assured were going directly to him. So we are left with the impression that Ed doesn't have the professionalism or decency to speak to his customers who have had a negative experience.

10 Thank MNKA17
Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An Old Dog Learns a New Trick”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

At age 58 I was apprehensive to say the least about learning to snorkel. I've never been a strong swimmer and have lower back problems. Standing in the shallows, fins on my feet, I stared at the snorkel and mask and thought, "I cannot do this! I cannot do this!". My eyes met Ed's and they answered, "Yes, you can! You can do this!". I pulled the equipment into place and barely dunked my mask below the surface and saw a beautiful world I'd never experienced before. It was like being in a National Geographic photo. I thought, "Maybe I am too old to do this, but I'm going to do it, anyway". And, I did. With Ed's gentle guidance, vast knowledge, incredible patience, and infectious love of the sea this old dog learned a wonderful new trick.