“Great crew and diving experience”

Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures has been a leader in the Maui dive community for over three decades. Our dive charters cater to certified divers and we offer the best Maui dive site experience through personalized eco-friendly tours. We have select boat tours for both divers that need some supervision and for experienced divers that are looking for more flexibility to match their advanced diving skills. Our store also offers scuba instruction, refresher dives and introductory discover scuba tours. In addition, our sister company Maui Snorkel Tours offers shoreline eco-snorkel tours for the whole family.
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I just returned from an extraordinary trip to Maui. I had never been there before and have done most of my diving in the Caribbean (including Belize). The boat crew and Ed took us out on incredible dives and were fun to be with. We did deeper wall dives than I had done before on an "Adventure X" tour, and shallower dives. The sea life was incredible: sharks, sea turtles, and dolphin!! Upon return to the shore, get ready to hand-feed crackers to birds that flock to the boat! I highly recommend this dive shop. They were also helpful in booking other activities, such as surf lessons and stand up paddling. Great team.

All reviews
"reef's end"
"dive spots"
"cool stuff"

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Molakini is an extinct volcano and has some splendid reef exploration which is worth a visit. With visibility down to 150 feet, it is one of the best dive spots in the world. The 77 acres of underwater terrain were declared a Marine Life Conservation District (MLCD).

1  Thank GuroJohn
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I just returned from my trip to Maui. I have dove with ERDA on about 4 separate trips to Maui. They never disappoint!! Very professional, safety conscious crew . I did the 3-tank, 2-tank and a night dive with them. The crew: Burt( captain), Ricardo, Joe, Tiffany and Justin were all very nice, helpful and informative about the dive sites and what we hoped to see at the various dive sites.
The boat can take a max of 12 divers so you don't feel crowded at the dive sites. The groups are divided up based on experience. You are allowed to dive your computer and your air (within limits) This is not a cattle-dive experience when everyone goes up when one person becomes low on air. The Molokini Back wall drift dive is always great! We saw a few white-tips sharks, lots of jacks, nudibranchs, leaf scorpion, turtles, etc.... on the dives. Most of the dives are live-boat pick-up. Nitrox is available. They provide lunch on the 3-tank dive and snacks on the 2-tank dive. The night dive at Makena Landing was great. There is a cave at about 20-25 ft. that you can enter and see tons of turtles. We counted about 18-19 turtles in the cave. We also saw the largest frog fish I've ever seen just lying in the sand, squid, lionfish, scorpionfish. Justin gives a great pre-dive briefing of the dive site and spends a lot of time going over the reef books for things to be on the look out for during the dive. Ed came out to say hello to the group before the dive boat left on both mornings I dove and you can dive with Ed most Wednesdays on the adventure dive. Overall, a great dive operator with a good attitude towards customer service, safety and having a good dive experience for the novice diver and experienced diver.
---Cheryl in Washington

4  Thank CB92630
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I went on a great snorkel tour led by Suzzy Robinson and her assistant "Josie". We are fairly experienced snorklers, but were with friends who were first timers. The tour exceeded our expectations -- Suzy began by showing us all of the different kinds of fish and coral we'd see in a book she and her husband authored; then we had great snorkel instruction, followed by an expert tour of the reefs off of mile marker 14 near Kihei. We saw tons of turtles at super-close range and every form of fish and coral she'd promised and more. Suzy and her assistant were incredibly patient and swam with boogie board rafts to ensure we had a safe place to rest. Whenever a mask fogged or we had a question, we had an expert just a few yards away to help. We ended up going way further out and exploring far more incredible marine life than we ever would have on our own. Whether you are a novice or an experienced snorkeler, a trip with Suzzy is well worth it!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Diving with Ed Robinson’s got me to places I’d never seen before on Maui, diverse places where we saw lots of great stuff, and diving with them was indeed an adventure, yet thanks to Ed's Crew, friendly, laid back, and comfortable

This was my fourth trip to Maui and seventh to Hawaii, also having been to Kauai a couple times and the Big Island once. I’m moderately experienced and have logged 150+ dives. With family in Florida I have done a lot there, various parts of the eastern Caribbean, several trips to Cozumel and LaPaz in Mexico, and an awesome whale shark adventure in Belize. I also enjoy freediving and have been doing that since I was a kid.

About Diving in Hawaii - I started going to Maui in the early 90's to windsurf, but always added a dive day or two. Oddly, I’ve heard some people say Hawaii is not that great. I have never been dissapointed diving Hawaii, and always had unique experiences. So I think this probably reflects two things: expectations, and who you dive with.

First of all, Hawaii is quite different from tropical locations such as Mexico, the Caribbean, or the South Pacific. Hawaii is basically a young range of volcanic mountains poking out of very deep Pacific waters. The water is relatively cool (78 degrees or so in the summer), so you don’t get tropical type coral formations with their riot of color. But Hawaii does have some great stuff, with lava flows having created interesting structural formations, and places for critters to hide and be found. Moreover, there is a reason species such as whales migrate to this spot in the Pacific, and they are not alone, with an incredible diversity of dive sites and marine life within close range. If you are willing to island hop (or like me, do multiple trips), you will find a different experience on each, but also each island is incredibly diverse. On various dives I’ve had the pleasure of company with whales, dolphins, sharks, manta rays, eagle rays, monk seals, a bait ball with diving birds and big fish after little fish, all manner of reef life, and too many turtles to count. Seasons also matter and you will see different marine life at various times of the year.

A good dive shop knows were to look for things, and more importantly attracts dive guides that are willing to take the time and effort to share their experiences with their clients (Ed Robinson and crew excels at this). So the other factor, who you go with, matters big-time on your dive experience. Whatever you do, don’t get hooked into diving one of the shops with larger boats. I always shoot for a boat with 12 or fewer divers. Also, try to find someone that recognizes your level of experience. Even some smaller outfits often have a policy of ending the dive for everyone after x - number of minutes, or when the first person is low on air. This will leave the less experienced diver feeling pressured if they are low on air early, and more experienced divers short changed. If you are diving with a shop that schedules both morning and afternoon turnaround dives, you can pretty much be sure this will happen.

Ed’s Diving Adventures - I chose Ed’s shop for their smaller number of 12 divers per boat, and menu of custom services catering to both less experienced and more advanced divers. This is much different than other shops which offer “vanilla” diving and repeatedly go to a specific destination on a specific day of the week. Moreover, the profile for many other shops is almost always the same, typically designed for the least experienced diver - a 60' recreational dive, up in “x” number of minutes, followed by a shallow 30' reef dive.

Although some guide books show Robinson’s as a shop for advanced divers, this is a misconception and they do offer a variety of services from snorkeling and certification to more advanced. Rather than pick a specific destination, you select from a menu of dive “adventures” based on your level of experience, including “Adventure-X”, which is basically Ed’s day to get out of the office and dive his favorite spots with more advanced divers. The destination each day is determined by quizzing divers when they climb on board, of: where do you want to go and what do you want to see?

I covered the spectrum and dove with Ed’s shop 3 days- their 2-tank adventure, 3-Tank Adventure, and Adventure-X. Divers included local island hoppers, repeat customers who vacation in Maui a lot, and an experience range from a dad and his new-diver daughter, to seasoned old guys.

Ed’s is a full service shop - the crew set up our tanks both before we boarded and between dives, and checked and rechecked that all were properly set with gear and weights. They were thorough, providing a gauge to check my nitrox mix, entering it in a log, plus reminding me of the slightly different mix on the second dive and confirming that I had reset my computer. I am accustom to setting up my own gear, and could easily get spoiled by this - as well as their apres dive treat of homemade chocolate chip cookies.

The first day I dove with them there was a full boat of 12 divers. Dive guides split us into three groups, with more advanced divers using nitrox and having computers in a separate group, allowing both a different profile and maximum dive time. It was great having multiple guides with small groups, as you never felt either crowded or required to conform with the group. While we all dove the same location we were never on top of each other, and as per the plan, divers/groups came up on their own schedule. Subsequent dive days were apparently a bit slow for the shop, as the boat was not near capacity, but still with at least two guides allowing intimate groups. At the end of each day the guides would thank sincerely us for allowing them to get out and dive that day. The crew is indeed passionate about diving and making certain all have a great day in the ocean.

2  Thank mtn-ocean-advntrs