“Informative, Slow Paced Diving on Maui”

Mike Severns Diving
Reviewed February 1, 2009

Paulina and team run an organized and fun dive experience. You start with a boat briefing and breakfast snacks (including yummy sticky buns). Then you're off to the dive site. They say that they don't know where they're headed each day but determine the dive site based on the passengers interests and desires, but we're not convinced. They do, however, ask you what you want to see and experience and definitely gear the dive to your interests. The entire crew is knowledgeable, friendly and helpful - we felt very pampered. We dove for 3 days and after each day they rinsed and stored our stuff until the following day - very nice. They focus on the small things like nudi brancs, shrimp, etc and to do this, the dives are very slow paced. you really get the chance to see where you are and fully explore the dive sites. If you're looking for fast-paced adventure, you might be dissappointed, but if you want to learn more about the ocean and its creatures, you'll be very happy with Mike Severns.

There are newer reviews for Mike Severns Diving

Reviewed September 8, 2008

We dove for three days with Mike Severns and had a fabulous time on every trip. They take up to 12 divers, but split you into 2 guided groups to accommodate varying skill levels and to help ensure specific requests are fulfilled. Their ascent policy is also nice - with diver pairs returning to the boat based on air consumption (not as an entire group).

This operation actually picks dive locations based upon what the divers want to see – they come around to take your requests on the boat and plan the dives accordingly. The dive briefings were very thorough and the guides that we had during our trip were fantastic. They were great at ensuring both new and experienced divers had great dives and at finding/seeing things that we never would have and pointing them out to us.

Their boat is also well-equipped and plenty of cold drinks and tasty snacks are provided. If you want a truly no-rush, convenient and pampered SCUBA diving experience, this is the operation for you. Our only regret is that now we’re spoiled and we have to go back to hauling our own gear and diving back home…

Reviewed August 25, 2008

After reading the glowing reviews of this Dive company, I was very excited for my August 2008 trip out for a day of diving. Sadly, the company cancelled the day before. I'm not sure why, it certainly wasn't due to weather - it was beautiful!

The website claimed they cancel maybe 3 days a year (always due to weather). Guess I was unlucky enough to be the exception. The worst part was that I didn't receive the notification that the dive was cancelled and waited 45 minutes at the boat ramp. That part was my fault though, I had switched hotels and didn't notify them of my new location. When I called them later that morning, they explained that they *had* tried to reach me.

So, if you do choose to dive with Mike Severns diving, make sure you keep them informed of the current numbers in which you can be reached.

Reviewed August 13, 2008

I dove in Cancun, Kauai, Belize, Monterey, among other places and Severns is by far the best operator around. Their descriptions before the dive of what you will see, what you can find if you look, how you can find it are great. The crew is very knowledgeable and caring. They take the time to get to know you before the boat arrives at the destination and find out what you want to see when you get there. They then advise you on how to see it. They'll even set up hand signals for you to tell you when they've found what you are looking for. I dive with Severns everytime I am in Kauai and will continue to do so as long as Pauline heading the operation.

Reviewed April 4, 2008

I dove with Mike Severns in February 2008. I had signed up with ProDiver, but their boat was out of order.

We started off on the wrong foot. As soon as I arrived at the boat, my dive leader asked me how much weight I needed. I told her, then she started debating it with me.

The dive was run well. However, each dive was preceded by about 20 minutes of explanation of what we could expect to see (while we're all itching to get in the water). For the first dive, there was also a 10 minute equipment explanation for those renting from them. So, it took a half hour after we got to the dive site before we started suiting up.

At the end of the trip, they made a big deal of leaving your equipment on the boat until they had pulled the boat from the water. The two tank trip took over 5 1/2 hours.

1  Thank motraveler23