“Good operation with too much ceremony”

Mike Severns Diving
motraveler23
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Good operation with too much ceremony”
Reviewed April 4, 2008

I dove with Mike Severns in February 2008. I had signed up with ProDiver, but their boat was out of order.

We started off on the wrong foot. As soon as I arrived at the boat, my dive leader asked me how much weight I needed. I told her, then she started debating it with me.

The dive was run well. However, each dive was preceded by about 20 minutes of explanation of what we could expect to see (while we're all itching to get in the water). For the first dive, there was also a 10 minute equipment explanation for those renting from them. So, it took a half hour after we got to the dive site before we started suiting up.

At the end of the trip, they made a big deal of leaving your equipment on the boat until they had pulled the boat from the water. The two tank trip took over 5 1/2 hours.

1 Thank motraveler23

Providence, RI
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Padi should have 6 star shops”
Reviewed February 29, 2008

The Mike Severns Dive Shop is the best I've ever been with. My wife and I dove for 3 days with them in February and had the greatest time. They are helpful and the most knowledgeable I've encountered anywhere.

The dive master will ask you what you want to focus on during the dives and then spend the time to point those things out to you. They have an extensive briefing before each dive as to the environment and creatures you may encounter. (complete with pictures).

Their knowledge is unsurpassed, and Pauline has published at least one book (which I bought at another dive shop, after the clerk noted that it was "the best one."). We were lucky enough to see a rare event of two octopus fighting at Molokini. Without Pauline’s keen eye, we would have missed the unbelievable event.

PADI should set a new standard for shops (I've been with quite a few "5" star shops, and none compare), and then give Mike Severns the 6 star rating to give the others something to strive for.

Do yourself a favor, dive with them and get a whole new level of diving insight.

3 Thank SkiBikeDive
wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Excellent Dive Operation”
Reviewed April 13, 2007

My 17 year old son and I had a fantastic time with Pauline and her crew. Dan, Warren, Tom and Pauline made us feel very welcome. They take the time to meet with all the divers before they decide where to dive. Showed pictures of the marine life that you'll probably see before you go in. Explained behavior, etc.

Low key, low pressure, safe, fun environment. Obviously like what they do and also like working with each other.

Good food, nice boat, good dive gear. Many other good reviews (check them out in Maui Revealed, the blue book...)

2 Thank maxdurk