“Fast, friendly and delicious!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kihei Caffe

Kihei Caffe
Ranked #14 of 176 Restaurants in Kihei
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Canmore
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fast, friendly and delicious!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

What a great way to have breakfast if you are looking to do a lot during the day. You go in, line up, order what you want then you grab a seat. Within 5 minutes of us sitting our food was up, now this was crazy because the line up in front of us was long! The staff were friendly, the food was great and we ate there quite a bit while in Maui.
The only reason I put terrible for romance, was because it is a caffe place, not a candlelit dinner!
Great job to you all at Kihei Caffe!

• Visited November 2013

• Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed breakfast here on the last day of our vacation and wish we had discovered it sooner. Long line moved quickly and no shortage of table seating. Would be more efficient if they used a number system instead of calling out names, however, it added a quaint touch. Delicious bacon and eggs and pastries out of this world. Can't wait to visit again!

Visited November 2013
Orange, California
“Good food, pricey meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Took our young family of 5 to get breakfast here thinking it would be somewhat reasonable. The service at the counter was very friendly after a long line but the price of the food was tremendously expensive for typical breakfast with minor Hawaiian flare. I mean resort type pricing. Don't come here looking for cost effective meals. We shared pancakes and a few other dishes with milks and coffees and ended up being over $60! My 3 girls are only 7 years old. They don't eat that much!

Oxnard, California
“Maui Breakfast - Kihei”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

I don't normally eat breakfast, but since I was on vacation I opted to see if the old reviews were as good as they say.

First, like the other reviews say, this is a small, dive looking place (inside ordering area is smaller than a 1 car garage). But there was a line of about a dozen people waiting to give their order when I got there at appx 9 AM. I ordered the banana-macadamia buttermilk pancakes with a side of portuguese sausage & cranberry juice. I then went looking for an empty table (all tables are outside)....none! So I asked to join a table that only had 1 person sitting at it...he welcomed me to share his table. They came walking through the tables shouting my name until they found me. My order comes as 3 thick, medium-sized pancakes (think large medium)...I knew immediately that I wasn't going to be able to finish the plate. The bananas & macadamia nuts are not blended into the batter, they are on top of the pancakes and sprinkled with powdered sugar. The buttermilk pancakes themselves were pretty good...and the combo with bananas & macadamia nuts was tasty. But I think I would rather have had just the pancakes without the extras. A short stack would have been perfect...but I don't know nor did I ask if they offered this option that wasn't on the menu. The portuguese sausage was very good, however, it was just 5 thin slices (for $3, definitely not worth it). The cranberry juice was good!

Second, while looking for a place to sit and waiting for my order to arrive, you can't help but see other orders...most had very generous portions on the plates. Needless to say, I could only ate a little more than half of the pancakes before I was full. According to their website, you can get breakfast all day....so no rush. I took my time enjoying my food and relaxing at the table and did a bit of people watching. After being there for about 40-45 minutes, I left. The line to order now had about 25 people in it and it went out the door....yeah, I noticed it getting longer and longer, even while I was in line and later while sitting at my table. I would definitely try this place again as the prices are very reasonable. There are lots of places to eat breakfast in Kihei, but I didn't see any long lines like this place had....so don't judge the place until you tried the food. My bet is that you'll be surprised.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Kitman
Northfield, Ohio
“Not bad, but overhyped”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed in Maui for 10 days. We heard many great things about the Kihei Caffe so we decided to make it our first stop for brunch. The outdoor dining area is somewhat dirty, which can be expected, but Java Cafe down the street does a better job at minimizing that. It is also cash only, so if you don't have any, be prepared to pay hefty ATM fees.

We were lucky enough to arrive around 1:30 since the place closes at 2 on weekdays. I got the standard breakfast, which is actually really good, particularly the breakfast meats. My wife got a wrap and fresh fruit. She didn't care for the wrap, but we both loved the fruit! The biggest disappointment on the food and drink side, though, is the lack of authentic Hawaiian coffee. When you're in an area with some of the best coffee in the world, why would you get your coffee from Costa Rica?

The prices are not bad, but the value for what you get is not that great. There are places you can get just as good of a breakfast and good coffee for 20-40% less. The service is also mediocre. The waitress forgot part of our order, and we had to remind her. A couple of tourists were going in at that time, and they were turned away because the place was "closed".

The food was good, but I've had much better comparable food in Maui. There are too many other coffee "Caffes" for great Hawaiian coffee, too.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Billluc1982

Been to Kihei Caffe? Share your experiences!