“Crazy place - Crazy good food”
Review of Kihei Caffe

Kihei Caffe
Ranked #14 of 178 Restaurants in Kihei
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Hawaiian
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Crazy place - Crazy good food”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Kihei Caffe is one of those quirky wacky eateries you just hope you find while on vacation. Once we arrived on Maui we asked folks where to find the best Loco Moco, and they all suggested Kihei Caffe.

The place is crazy busy, and seating is handled unconventionally, but it seems to work. Step inside, up the steps and get in line to place your order. Then head out the door and the wait staff, running orders, will eventually find you a table. When your food is ready a waiter or waitress will come outside with it, yelling your name. Sounds chaotic? It is, but it really does work.

I had the oft-mentioned french toast with bananas and macadamia nuts, and it was fabulous, especially with a greasy side of bacon. Husband-o-mine had the Loco Moco which he loved. A big scoop of rice (fried or steamed) topped with a hamburger patty (or fried Spam, if you ask) and a fried egg, then smothered in gravy. Yes, it's heart attack food, but it was vacation after all.

On a second visit I had pork chops and eggs, a great combination. The pork chops were a little overdone, but this isn't a high brow white napkin restaurant, so I wasn't surprised. The chops did have great flavor, as did the fabulous chunky home fries. Over easy egg was done perfectly and the bisquits were fluffy and perfect.

The food was greasy and wonderful, just right for vacation indulgence, and most of the staff was friendly and fun, especially the gent who took our order. The only thing keeping me from awarding 5 stars, or excellent, was one waitress who spent all her time during our second visit barking at patrons, yelling for them to stay off the steps, out of the doorway and out of her way. I can understand her frustration. With nearly everyone in the place a newbie, and with their seating system a little out of the ordinary, it must be less than ideal working conditions for the servers. But a little humor and a smile would have gone a long way for Miss Miserable.

Don't let this one complaint keep you from going - the food is worth it - but do plan a good long walk to work off the calories!

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Regina, Canada
“Yummy”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Great local atmosphere with the best french toast and coffee we've ever had! The place was packed but we were always able to get outdoor seating as soon as we placed our order.

Milford, Connecticut
“A great place for a delicious, hearty breakfast”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

A super busy place, for good reason. Everyone loves this place. It was recommended to us by several people and we loved it so much we went both mornings that were were in Kihei. The line looked really long the first morning and we almost didn't go, but we hopped in line and the line moved very quickly and we had our enormous breakfasts in no time. If you're looking for fancy or for table linens, this is not your kind of place. If you're looking for the best breakfast in town, check this place out.

Visited March 2013
Lewes, Delaware
“Best French Toast EVER!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Discovered Kihei Caffee for the first time although I had been to Maui before...so sorry I didn't know about it before! Honestly, it was the best french toast I have ever had. I got them with bananas and macadamia nuts and then used the coconut syrup...what a delight! Another morning we order the short stack of chocolate chip pancakes and felt horrible about the waste. I am all for getting your money's worth...but these pancakes were too big. We should have shared an order! My only complaint, is one I read on another review...and that is the coffee. With Kona coffee being so accessible, I would expect the coffee to be good...but it's very blah...no flavor really! I don't mind paying a dollar for a refill if the coffee is good...but needless to say, I didn't get any refills. But all in all...this is an awesome place. The staff is friendly and seating doesn't appear to be too much of an issue! I will definitely go back on my next trip to Maui!

• Visited March 2013
“Didn't even bother to eat after the ATTITUDE from the staff”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Got there, after having several folks say it was good. Went in and got a table, as we had 2 small kids and 2 older folks who needed to sit....or at least that was the plan. Then some snarly looking lady came over and told us we had to order first, and it wasn't just her look that was snarly........she was down right RUDE.
When me mentioned that we were worried about not having a place to sit with our food and 2 kids and 2 older folks and that we were sending 2 people in to order she angerly gestured at the tables down the way (which clearly looked like they belonged to the place next door - as they were actually clean) and said "we have all those tables too, ORDER FIRST" yes she basically yelled it at us.
in the end it was not what she said it was HOW she said it. Yeah she may have been having a bad day but don't take that out on my family.
We have no intention of going back......and based on the reviews it seems it has been going downhill anyways. I'll make a point of telling all those people I know that visit Maui to not bother with this place.
Very very very disappointed