“Be Very Careful With Your Personal Information Here!! Don't Use Your Credit Card”
Review of B&B Scuba

B&B Scuba
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The customer is always right! Not at this joint. Their front desk person made an honest mistake and misbooked my dive date. I called on a Friday and said I want to dive "tomorrow". Maybe he thought the current date was Saturday? Maybe he misheard me? I wanted to dive on Saturday morning and he accidentally booked me for Sunday.

I showed up at 5:30am at the ramp on Saturday morning and B & B was nowhere to be found. I talked to another boat and they told me "No B & B today". They volunteered to take me out and I had a great time. I talked to the owner of B & B later that day (on Saturday) and we discussed what happened. No harm, no foul.... all's well that ends well, right? Their guy that answered the phone made a mistake. It happens. We're human.

But no!! I arrive home to find a charge for the missed dive on my credit card bill. "How the hell did they get my credit card number? Oh yea, I verbally gave it to them as a deposit when I rented a $15 set of snorkel gear". They then took that credit card number and used it to charge a fictitious dive that was never scheduled. Naturally, I cancelled the charge with my credit card company as B & B never received my signature or my authorizaton to charge $143. Now, I'm pissed, but this should take care of it. Again, No...... Every time the credit card company went back to B & B, they responded with some other piece of 'documentation' that attempted to make the case that I had agreed to a Sunday dive and that I had authorized the credit card charge. Morons. Here's why.

That 'documentation' they provided to the credit card company could not have existed in the form sent to the CC company prior to my challenge of the credit card charge because I told the owner on Saturday that I was not going on Sunday as I had just done a dive. Hmmmm... I wonder where these log entries provided months later came from then??

Finally, the smart people at the credit card company looked at the documentation B & B fed them and saw that I had never signed anything and in their words, "This 'proof' provided by B & B is dubious at best". They credited my account for the charge.

On the day this happened, if the owner had just taken the position (even if he didn't believe it), "Our mistake, we'd love to see you again in the future", then I'd still be a customer (even after their screw-up). Instead, he tried to make a federal case out it and seemingly engaged in some highly questionable use of my credit card number that had been provided for a $15 snorkel deposit. Really? Really?

Having seen the owner's responses below to the other bad reviews, I can already predict his response. "Not our mistake. We are always right. Customer was wrong." Yep, 'wrong' customers love to show up at 5:30am in the dark just to screw with the scuba company and 'wrong' customers love to take their time to make up stories and post them on these review sites.

9  Thank SH_881
BVarney, Owner at B&B Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

there is 2 sides to everything and to bash us for your error is wrong. You booked on a Sunday and showed up on Sat. and we were not there as we were closed for maintenance and were not taking any bookings. YOU elected to go with another operator knowing we had a 48 hr. cancellation policy. All of this was documented and that is why your card dispute was reversed.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

During our recent trip to Maui my daughter and I spent the morning with Brad and his crew diving the shoreline area of Maui. While the boat and equipment are great, Brad and his staff did a great job at making sure our needs were taken care of and answered any questions we had regarding the upcoming dives. Dave was our divemaster and he was very knowledgeable and took the time to point out many of subtilities of our dive. I highly recommend B&B Scuba and will use them next time I am back in Maui.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have been diving for 25 years and my husband just got certified in September B&B is the best company to dive with on Maui and I've tried the others !! they just aren't the same I have never felt unsafe they have great staff, equipment and the new boat is so cool and fast !

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Both my wife and I were fairly new to scuba diving when we booked the trip with B&B and were therefore a little anxious about what would await us. Therefore we went to the boat at 5am a little bit worried about whether our diving was good enough for the crew and the other divers, whether we remember to put on our equipment and so on. All of our worries were put to ease when we met the crew......we felt safe and relaxed the moment they greeted us. The mix of their professionalism, relaxed state of mind and pure joy in diving made it easy for us to relax ourselves and have the best dives we could imagine!!! The guides were very knowledgable making us see things that we definitely would have missed and always had an eye on how much oxygen we were having. We could totally concentrate on the experience of diving rather then handling the equipment or following the guide and that is by far the best a guide and a team can achieve! We had a wonderful time both above and under water! We therefore booked a second trip with B&B as we just liked it so much to hang and dive out with the guys! Thank you B&B!!!!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife and I just returned from 3 weeks of diving in Maui. We used B&B Scuba again for this trip, both for gear rentals (for shore diving) and 7 boat dives. I like the family business atmosphere and the number of long term employees that great us every time we vacation here. The dive boat is always the first one to leave in the morning (when they say leaving the dock by 6AM they aren't kidding!) and we are usually back around 10 to 10:30AM. This leaves the rest of the day available for everything else!
The boat is very new, comfortable and fast! The Captain and Dive Masters/Instructors are very good at their job and do a good job of making sure everyone is safe and providing plenty of help as needed whether they are new or experienced divers. We were taken to a wide variety of sites and shown all the wildlife.
I especially appreciate their accommodation for myself in providing bailout a bailout bottle, O2 and diligent tanks for my rebreather.
This has been the 4th trip we've used B&B Scuba and we look forward to staying with them on future trips also!