“very nice/clean place to stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kihei
Maui Sugar Beach Inn
Ranked #12 of 16 Kihei B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 5, 2008

We stayed 8 days . We had the penthouse which was very roomy and clean. The pictures on line are acuate and informative. We had the place to our selves for the whole 8 days.. very close to sugar beach- nice beach for walking and swimming.It was very quiet and restful neighborhood. I could hear the surf from my bedroom. The pool was very small.. We spent most of our time outside on the patio which had 2 big tables and chairsets and 2 bar-b-ques. Excellent place for my group of 8 adults who are over 50 to 80 years old.We enjoyed the quiet.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed April 18, 2008

We were having a family reunion in Hawaii and that included small children and babies. Mary, at the Sugar Beach Inn was super about helping us (pac 'n plays, high chairs, beach toys, washing machine that we could use) and welcoming us instead of being dismayed. The Sugar Beach Inn has smaller units on the ground floor (one bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, livingroom with pull out couch) and then the big unit upstairs that has a large living area and three bedrooms with two bathrooms and a well stocked kitchen and dining area. Besides the roomy insides, there is a gorgeous deck (lani) with tables and a couch and a grill. All units have private lanis as well as access to a beautifully landscaped pool area and private parking places that are tucked back away from the road. Just across the road is a beach that is great for walking or taking in the beauty. The really great plus for us was how welcoming Mary was to us about our larger group getting together at the Sugar Beach Inn. We weren't all able to obtain rooms from her (already booked) but it was a great place to congregate. There were rules about noise and pool use that made the place restful and pleasant and not so many units as to feel like a big hotel. Light, airy and clean, the large unit was a dream to stay in!

Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank KingsdaughterMontana
Reviewed March 5, 2008

We have been guests of Maui Sugar Beach Inn for 2 months. Since we are almost at the end of our stay, we wanted to post our thoughts on this remarkable little hidden gem of Maui.

Upon reviewing some of the previous reviews we know the travellers have been referring to Maui Sugar Beach Resort rather than this small comfortable inn. This building only contains 6 units and it is 2 storeys high with only 2 units upstairs.

There were no robberies here. The units are exceptionally clean and they are very inviting.! The backyard contains a wonderful paradise of Hawaiian landscaping with a pool barbeque and tiki torches. Mary,the new manager is so accomodating and her warm personality and charming ways makes everyone very happy!!.

We are extremely happy with our stay here and would stay here again in a heartbeat.

We would recommend this inn to anyone as long as there is room for us to return next year. It's hard to give away a great secret!

Mardi and Fred

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tinadryden
Reviewed January 22, 2008

Our vacation was extended when on our last day my wife was hospitalized. As it was during the high season, few rentals were available and in a pinch i called the Inn. Not only was Mary very accomodating, she made every effort to make sure I did not have any worries while my wife was in hospital. While I expected less from a small hotel I was very suprised at how nice the Inn was. The suite was clean and very well appointed, This is a very nice boutique hotel and I would stay there again. This place definately has the "Aloha" spirit. Thanks again,
Stephen Compan

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Idreamofmaui
Reviewed July 17, 2007

You can find much better places that are cheaper in the Kihei area. The customer service is terrible. From the managment staff to the phone service reps. They are just plain rude. Don't ever plan to have a good trip if you stay here.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank big123
mini001, owner at Maui Sugar Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2007

A note to all readers. This person is an unknown and has no record of staying here. We often receive inquiries from the local Maui residents/public who are not people we want to do business with for whatever reason. We have no problem ONLY catering to the guests we believe are compatible to our property. We do not waste our time on inquiries we feel are people who will not be a compliment to this property or to our existing guests.

Tracy
Owner

Reviewed July 15, 2007

I live on Molokai and needed to spend a few days on Maui to take my "Service Dog" to the veterinarian. I did a web search to find a pet friendly hotel ( although according to the ADA and The Dept. of Justice, "service animals" are not to be denied access to public facilities, such as hotels etc.)
The Sugar Beach Inn was listed as pet friendly with no references to any restrictions. ( Some resorts and hotels will restrict size ) I placed my reservation through Expedia. My dog had surgery in the morning and I picked him up in the afternoon .. checked into the Inn, unpacked and sat down .. ready to relax after a long day.
There was then, a knock on the door from the Inn's owner ,Tracey .. who commenced to scream at me that I had no right to bring a big dog unto her property. The woman was livid and totally irrational, not to mention unprofessional. I tried to explain calmly(witnessed by her caretaker and child .. who did apologize) that I booked the room in good faith, as pet friendly ... she continued to scream... I then told her her that my dog was a Service Dog and protected by certain rights ( as well as mine) but that I wouldn't stay where I wasn't wanted and immediately began to pack up. She continued screaming at me. I loaded my car .. she followed me.. still screaming and waving her arms. At that time I pulled out documents stating ID and my rights which she crumpled up and threw back at me.
I will be registering a complaint with the ADA, as well as Maui Tourism , since I was treated so inhumanly. The woman needs some professional help,and I'm writing this in hope that others be made aware of this Inn owners volatility.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
6  Thank fairness
Reviewed June 26, 2007

I am going to start off with a disclaimer:
The basis on which we booked the room was a little unorthodox so, to be fair, the owner had every right to make the rules as we went. That does not excuse the manner in which she did.

On our last day in Maui, the four of us found ourselves without a place to rest and shower before our 9pm flight once our previous accomodations has ended at 10am that morning. There were about 25 of us in town for a wedding and we all were staying throughout Maui. We had not really planned ahead for the time-gap dilemma that faced us our last day and had hoped that we could relax with other wedding guests staying longer than the four of us at their accomodations.

It turned out that our other friends were not able to help us out due to pre-planned activities so we started calling around to hotels for a "half-day rate" so that we could keep our luggage safe and shower before our 13 hour flights so that we may enjoy the beach, etc.

After many, many phone calls we found the Sugar Beach Inn and the owner quoted us $100 to check in at noon and we stated that we would vacate the premises around 6:30pm the same day to get to the airport in time. More than fair considering. We thought we found a great deal split between the four of us. As the morning progressed, 2 other friends found themselves in the same position and we offered them a shower and place to keep baggage before their 8pm flight to be nice.

Upon our arrival to the inn (2 cars, 6 adults) we were greeted by a friendly staff member who informed us that even though the room was not ready yet, we could leave our bags since we were not planning on hanging around. So we began to unload as the owner comes out to secure payment. Not only was she unfriendly, yelling at us that the room wasn't finished and "who said we could check in?" When we answered that her staff member did she yelled, "well, she is not the owner, I am, and I say the room is not ready!" as if we would know the difference. Once we got through that and explained that we were sorry but were just leaving bags and taking off to the beach she still kept ranting and raving but calmed down a bit. She could barely let us sit our bags down long enough before demanding a credit card. She spoke to us as though we were 12 years old. (We were all ages 27-40)

The next thing we know she was screeching at the top of her lungs that the deal was for 4 people, not 6 because that equated to 6 showers! Does water cost that much in Maui? Regardless of how many people we were, which could have been said kindly and we would have told our other friends politely that we could not help them, she could not rent the room to anyone else and was getting $100 for a 6 hour stay.

This woman was so rude and abrupt, wouldn't listen to our side of the story and she decided to kick us out and cancel the whole transaction while calling us liars at the same time. I had never been more angry and humiliated. It left such a bad taste in my mouth after a beautiful trip.

After reading a few other reviews it seems as though she is very capable of being rude and has a huge disregard to customer service... and I should know being in the travel business.

The property did look nice and was well located but, for the money, there are much better accomodations in the area. Keep looking around.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank WhirledTraveler88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Maui Coast Hotel
Days Inn Maui Oceanfront
Dreams Come True on Maui Bed and Breakfast
0 mi away
Kohea Kai Resort Maui,

Been to Maui Sugar Beach Inn? Share your experiences!