“this small inn is a treasure to behold” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maui Sugar Beach Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kihei
Maui Sugar Beach Inn
Ranked #12 of 16 Kihei B&B and Inns
Dryden
“this small inn is a treasure to behold”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2008

We have been guests of Maui Sugar Beach Inn for 2 months. Since we are almost at the end of our stay, we wanted to post our thoughts on this remarkable little hidden gem of Maui.

Upon reviewing some of the previous reviews we know the travellers have been referring to Maui Sugar Beach Resort rather than this small comfortable inn. This building only contains 6 units and it is 2 storeys high with only 2 units upstairs.

There were no robberies here. The units are exceptionally clean and they are very inviting.! The backyard contains a wonderful paradise of Hawaiian landscaping with a pool barbeque and tiki torches. Mary,the new manager is so accomodating and her warm personality and charming ways makes everyone very happy!!.

We are extremely happy with our stay here and would stay here again in a heartbeat.

We would recommend this inn to anyone as long as there is room for us to return next year. It's hard to give away a great secret!

Mardi and Fred

• Liked — the Hawaiian Pradise back yard and the hospitable inviting manager Mary and Vanessa
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tinadryden

Las Vegas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2008

Our vacation was extended when on our last day my wife was hospitalized. As it was during the high season, few rentals were available and in a pinch i called the Inn. Not only was Mary very accomodating, she made every effort to make sure I did not have any worries while my wife was in hospital. While I expected less from a small hotel I was very suprised at how nice the Inn was. The suite was clean and very well appointed, This is a very nice boutique hotel and I would stay there again. This place definately has the "Aloha" spirit. Thanks again,
Stephen Compan

• Liked — The wonderful staff.
  • Disliked — I really can't think of anything negative other than I could not stay there longer
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Idreamofmaui
hawaii
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2007

You can find much better places that are cheaper in the Kihei area. The customer service is terrible. From the managment staff to the phone service reps. They are just plain rude. Don't ever plan to have a good trip if you stay here.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank big123
mini001, owner at Maui Sugar Beach Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2007
A note to all readers. This person is an unknown and has no record of staying here. We often receive inquiries from the local Maui residents/public who are not people we want to do business with for whatever reason. We have no problem ONLY catering to the guests we believe are compatible to our property. We do not waste our time on inquiries we feel are people who will not be a compliment to this property or to our existing guests.

Tracy
Owner
hawaii
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2007

I live on Molokai and needed to spend a few days on Maui to take my "Service Dog" to the veterinarian. I did a web search to find a pet friendly hotel ( although according to the ADA and The Dept. of Justice, "service animals" are not to be denied access to public facilities, such as hotels etc.)
The Sugar Beach Inn was listed as pet friendly with no references to any restrictions. ( Some resorts and hotels will restrict size ) I placed my reservation through Expedia. My dog had surgery in the morning and I picked him up in the afternoon .. checked into the Inn, unpacked and sat down .. ready to relax after a long day.
There was then, a knock on the door from the Inn's owner ,Tracey .. who commenced to scream at me that I had no right to bring a big dog unto her property. The woman was livid and totally irrational, not to mention unprofessional. I tried to explain calmly(witnessed by her caretaker and child .. who did apologize) that I booked the room in good faith, as pet friendly ... she continued to scream... I then told her her that my dog was a Service Dog and protected by certain rights ( as well as mine) but that I wouldn't stay where I wasn't wanted and immediately began to pack up. She continued screaming at me. I loaded my car .. she followed me.. still screaming and waving her arms. At that time I pulled out documents stating ID and my rights which she crumpled up and threw back at me.
I will be registering a complaint with the ADA, as well as Maui Tourism , since I was treated so inhumanly. The woman needs some professional help,and I'm writing this in hope that others be made aware of this Inn owners volatility.

• Liked — N/A
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank fairness
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2007

I am going to start off with a disclaimer:
The basis on which we booked the room was a little unorthodox so, to be fair, the owner had every right to make the rules as we went. That does not excuse the manner in which she did.

On our last day in Maui, the four of us found ourselves without a place to rest and shower before our 9pm flight once our previous accomodations has ended at 10am that morning. There were about 25 of us in town for a wedding and we all were staying throughout Maui. We had not really planned ahead for the time-gap dilemma that faced us our last day and had hoped that we could relax with other wedding guests staying longer than the four of us at their accomodations.

It turned out that our other friends were not able to help us out due to pre-planned activities so we started calling around to hotels for a "half-day rate" so that we could keep our luggage safe and shower before our 13 hour flights so that we may enjoy the beach, etc.

After many, many phone calls we found the Sugar Beach Inn and the owner quoted us $100 to check in at noon and we stated that we would vacate the premises around 6:30pm the same day to get to the airport in time. More than fair considering. We thought we found a great deal split between the four of us. As the morning progressed, 2 other friends found themselves in the same position and we offered them a shower and place to keep baggage before their 8pm flight to be nice.

Upon our arrival to the inn (2 cars, 6 adults) we were greeted by a friendly staff member who informed us that even though the room was not ready yet, we could leave our bags since we were not planning on hanging around. So we began to unload as the owner comes out to secure payment. Not only was she unfriendly, yelling at us that the room wasn't finished and "who said we could check in?" When we answered that her staff member did she yelled, "well, she is not the owner, I am, and I say the room is not ready!" as if we would know the difference. Once we got through that and explained that we were sorry but were just leaving bags and taking off to the beach she still kept ranting and raving but calmed down a bit. She could barely let us sit our bags down long enough before demanding a credit card. She spoke to us as though we were 12 years old. (We were all ages 27-40)

The next thing we know she was screeching at the top of her lungs that the deal was for 4 people, not 6 because that equated to 6 showers! Does water cost that much in Maui? Regardless of how many people we were, which could have been said kindly and we would have told our other friends politely that we could not help them, she could not rent the room to anyone else and was getting $100 for a 6 hour stay.

This woman was so rude and abrupt, wouldn't listen to our side of the story and she decided to kick us out and cancel the whole transaction while calling us liars at the same time. I had never been more angry and humiliated. It left such a bad taste in my mouth after a beautiful trip.

After reading a few other reviews it seems as though she is very capable of being rude and has a huge disregard to customer service... and I should know being in the travel business.

The property did look nice and was well located but, for the money, there are much better accomodations in the area. Keep looking around.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank WhirledTraveler88
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2007

We spent ten days at the Maui Sugar Beach Inn over Christmas of 2006. We were traveling with our entire extended family, so we wanted to find a place we could all gather together for meals and just hanging out.

The second floor of the MSBI has a one bedroom condo and a 1700 square foot penthouse. This arrangement was perfect for our group of 11. The location in Kihei was great, being centrally located to the rest of the island. A great beach was literally a one minute walk away, and there was not a day we missed the spectacular sunsets. We really liked the huge balcony with a table that would hold all of us as well, in addition to a great couch for afternoon siestas.

Tracy and the rest of the crew took great care of us, and we can't say enough about how nice they are. We were treated like family. Bonus points to them for following through with a few suggestions we made on how we would improve the Inn as well.

A lot of great memories, and there is no question we will stay at the MSBI when we return to Maui. Bonus is a great Sushi restaurant right around the corner.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank scooter1313
Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2007

I found the Penthouse Suite very very nice and spacious. The view of the Ocean in Kehei was georgeous and the view of the adjoining garden was just beautiful beyond words. The suite was very clean and the Inn keeper Tracy was very nice. I plan on visiting Maui again in the near future.

• Liked — It had all the conforts of home.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank lolonene
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Maui Coast Hotel
Nona Lani Cottages
Nona Lani Cottages
#15 of 62 in Kihei
Maui Beach Vacation Club

Been to Maui Sugar Beach Inn? Share your experiences!